Re: moses or mose by SunflowerP
[Today at 09:48:58 pm]

moses or mose by Larix
[Today at 08:24:25 pm]

Re: "2001: A Space Odyssey" Becomes Real? by Ashmire
[March 14, 2024, 01:21:17 am]

Re: "2001: A Space Odyssey" Becomes Real? by atr
[March 14, 2024, 01:15:08 am]

Author Topic: General Questions: Why us bigotry toward LGBT people tolerated on this board?  (Read 8062 times)

Tom

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://serpentinetom.wordpress.com
Why us bigotry toward LGBT people tolerated on this board?
« on: April 22, 2017, 03:10:11 pm »
I've been outright called evil for being LGBT on this board with people using the excuse of religion for it. Why is religion bashing not allowed but the bashing of LGBTQ people is?

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: June 06, 2017, 08:53:50 am by RandallS »

ehbowen

• Grand Master Member
  • A Ways Around the Bend...
    • View Profile
    • Streamliner Schedules
  • Religion: Southern Baptist
Re: Why us bigotry toward LGBT people tolerated on this board?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2017, 03:27:08 pm »
Quote from: Tom;205353
I've been outright called evil for being LGBT on this board with people using the excuse of religion for it. Why is religion bashing not allowed but the bashing of LGBTQ people is?

My thoughts on homosexuality as a practice have been made clear in the past, but I don't ever remember addressing you personally or seeing anyone else address you personally in this manner. Do you have a link to an example?
--------Eric H. Bowen
Where's the KABOOM? There was supposed to have been an Earth-shattering KABOOM!
Computers are like air conditioning. They become useless when you open Windows—Linus Torvalds.

Tom

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://serpentinetom.wordpress.com
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2017, 03:45:36 pm »
Quote from: ehbowen;205355
My thoughts on homosexuality as a practice have been made clear in the past, but I don't ever remember addressing you personally or seeing anyone else address you personally in this manner. Do you have a link to an example?
You called LGBT people evil in general and you got off consequence free. That is enough for me to complain, especially considering beliefs such as yours is being codified in laws that are harmful to people. I cannot in all good conciousness be quiet and beyond this comment I refuse to engage with you on this topic any further.

I would like a response from the people in charge of this board with a response as to why bashing people for being LGBT is okay on this board.

Jenett

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Seeking: First steps on a path
  • Religion: Initiatory religious witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2017, 09:10:23 pm »

Tom, and everyone else reading this:

Please give us time to consider and respond to the reports that have already been made. Threads like this take time and energy away from staff being able to do that, which is probably not the desired end goal.

If you have a problem with a specific message, please report it using the report function (for those not aware, the little triangle with an exclamation mark in the bottom left of each post: the mouseover text says "report post"). This helps staff look at specifics in context much more easily, and helps us track patterns over time because of how the reports work on the staff side.

If you have a more general concern that stretches across multiple threads but is about specific people or threads, please either report a relevant post and add your comments about others, or PM Sunflower (as the Message Board Coordinator). Links are extremely helpful.

In this case, Tom, I understand you PMd Sunflower at about the same point you made this post, so doing so again would only be helpful if you had additional specific material you'd like us to review.

In both cases, while staff are reading the board regularly and often discussing threads of concern, we often need some time to talk things through, give staff with different schedules, commitments, and time zones a chance to comment, and otherwise review past discussions. This may take a couple of days or longer, depending on the topic.

(In other words, it's a lot easier and faster for us to take quick action on spammers or other blatant rules violations than ones where it's a question of posts close to a line, or a history of behaviour, or comments that could be read in multiple ways, all of which usually require a lot more discussion and review.)

For those of you concerned about the trend of particular threads, you're always welcome to reply from your own perspective (within board rules) or to comment on other topics (of which there are many.)
Seek Knowledge, Find Wisdom: Research help on esoteric and eclectic topics (consulting and other services)

Seeking: first steps on a Pagan path (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism)

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2017, 06:57:47 am »

*** MOD HAT ON ***
This is an interfaith discussion and debate religion board. People are allowed to discuss and debate the beliefs of religions even if others do not agree with those beliefs (or the opposition to them, for that matter). Many religions have beliefs that others consider wrong-headed, rude, bigoted, unscientific, etc. That does not make discussion of those beliefs against the rules of the board.

This means that members of a religion can say something like "My religion teaches that all rich people are evil followers of Satan" or "My religion teaches that abortion is murder" or "My religion teaches that  homosexuals are going to hell", etc. If they could not, there would be no way to actually discuss -- let alone debate -- religious views and positions. As I have said many times before, TC is a discussion and debate board, and not some type of safe space where nothing upsetting about religion/life can be discussed. If you cannot make the distinction between  a rules violating comment like "You are a homosexual and therefore evil" (a personal attack) and "According to my religion homosexuals are evil" (a statement about religious beliefs, but not generally a rules violation -- let alone a personal attack), The Cauldron may not be the forum for you.

EDit: mod bbcode updated for new board
« Last Edit: June 01, 2017, 08:06:53 am by RandallS »
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

Caol B.

• Apprentice
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2017, 10:36:15 am »

*** MOD HAT ON ***
This is an interfaith discussion and debate religion board. People are allowed to discuss and debate the beliefs of religions even if others do not agree with those beliefs (or the opposition to them, for that matter). Many religions have beliefs that others consider wrong-headed, rude, bigoted, unscientific, etc. That does not make discussion of those beliefs against the rules of the board.

This means that members of a religion can say something like "My religion teaches that all rich people are evil followers of Satan" or "My religion teaches that abortion is murder" or "My religion teaches that  homosexuals are going to hell", etc. If they could not, there would be no way to actually discuss -- let alone debate -- religious views and positions.

I'm glad I stopped here before throwing this forum out the window. I'm...quite controversial...because I hold "extreme" right leaning traditional beliefs. I'm a traditional polytheist in short.

I honestly was waiting for the ban hammer to get swung at me for being a harsh critic and harsh debator. It's no secret that the polytheist community has been taken over by oppressive eclectics and (in my belief) complete degenerates who disallow any views other than their own to be discussed. I was beginning to believe that this was just going to be another "AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod bans Reactionary Druid" episode.

Thank you for keeping discussion open. Freedom to speak your mind is the most sacred freedom of all, and it's a shame ((certain groups)) want to take that away from us. And for what, because they are so weak, mere words hurt them? Bah! Give me a good debate, friend!

:^)

Sent from my LG-D851 using Tapatalk

MadZealot

• Adept Member
  • Eye yam tu papi.
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Founder of the Church of No Pants.
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2017, 11:01:41 am »
((certain groups))

Double parentheses. "Echoes."

Code for Jews, right?
You have my sword
And my shield
And my... um... slacks.

Caol B.

• Apprentice
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2017, 12:04:12 pm »
Double parentheses. "Echoes."

Code for Jews, right?
No, you're thinking of triple parenthesis.

MadZealot

• Adept Member
  • Eye yam tu papi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2017, 12:12:08 pm »
No, you're thinking of triple parenthesis.

Aaaah. So what does this cowbell represent, then? Mexicans? Mooslims? Dem damn darkies? Those feckin Irish?
You have my sword
And my shield
And my... um... slacks.

MadZealot

• Adept Member
  • Eye yam tu papi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2017, 12:17:41 pm »
Aaaah. So what does this cowbell represent, then? Mexicans? Mooslims? Dem damn darkies? Those feckin Irish?

Oh, no, waitwaitwait. I think I've got it.

((Mudbloods.))
You have my sword
And my shield
And my... um... slacks.

Caol B.

• Apprentice
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2017, 12:38:08 pm »

Oh, no, waitwaitwait. I think I've got it.

((Mudbloods.))

What in Balors asshole are you talking about?
I was referring to cultural marxists.

;^)

MadZealot

• Adept Member
  • Eye yam tu papi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2017, 12:53:53 pm »

I was referring to cultural marxists.

Well for the sake of Balor's asscrack you could just say that. 

Without context, parentheses could as easily evoke all that pussy Trump wants to grab.

()

Well I ain't wrong.
You have my sword
And my shield
And my... um... slacks.

Caol B.

• Apprentice
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2017, 12:57:49 pm »
Well for the sake of Balor's asscrack you could just say that. 

Without context, parentheses could as easily evoke all that pussy Trump wants to grab.

()

Well I ain't wrong.
But what if it's a really floppy pussy?

(())

Or

((()))

Wew lad...now thats some roast beef!

:D

MadZealot

• Adept Member
  • Eye yam tu papi.
    • View Profile
You have my sword
And my shield
And my... um... slacks.

Caol B.

• Apprentice
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2017, 01:35:37 pm »
Well, that's a doozy.
I know... 2 scoops of raisins is a hard fact to accept. I just wanted 1, but Kelloggs gave me 2. And that...my friend...is 2 scoops 2 many.

Tags: