Re: A Tribute to my Great Grandmother by EclecticWheel
[Today at 12:52:23 am]

Energy Concepts by EclecticWheel
[Today at 12:26:19 am]

A Tribute to my Great Grandmother by EclecticWheel
[June 13, 2024, 11:16:55 pm]

Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[June 13, 2024, 09:25:30 pm]

Author Topic: A TC Summer Solstice Ritual in Meatspace?  (Read 9909 times)

Aster Breo

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
Re: A TC Summer Solstice Ritual in Meatspace?
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2021, 08:25:41 am »
I love this idea! But how would we pull that off?

We're already discussing video recording the event,* which we probably should do. But to livestream it adds a level of logistical difficulty that may be insurmountable. For example, since Opus40 is in the middle of rural woods, would there even be a strong enough cellphone signal out there to send a video feed? And If we're all busy celebrating live at the site, how will we Zoom interact with the folks online? Or is a Zoom meeting not what you have in mind?

*Video recording means, however, that rather than fully participating, someone will have to be manning their smartphone for much of the time. Also keep in mind that while we're all fairly anonymous here online at TC, that won't be true in a recording of the live event (unless one is festively masked!)
There are definitely challenges. But it's something to consider.

Just off the top of my head, and for the purposes of sparking conversation (that is, please don't consider these fully formed answers!):

Re signal:  I think the first step is to determine whether there's any kind of coverage at the site. (Well, actually, the first step would be to determine if the site is even available when we want it.) If it's used as a wedding venue, they might have wifi and/or cell service available.

Re logistics:  Some of us might actuality prefer to participate in more of a support role, rather than as an active ritual participant. Another possibility is that some of us might be traveling with companions who would be willing to do things like video.

Re platform:  Zoom is a good option, but not the only one. And there might well be others by then. We'd need to do some research, but we'd need a better idea of what we're doing on site and what we want to accomplish online to be able to choose the best platform.

Re anonymity / identifiability:  We'd definitely need to be very careful about this, whether simply recording or livestreaming. I think it would need to be a discussion among participants to decide among the various options. It also might be possible to find a camera angle that doesn't show faces - or only shows faces of people who are OK with being shown.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

"The status is not quo."  ~ Dr. Horrible

Altair

• Staff
  • Fly high and make the world follow
    • View Profile
    • Songs of the Metamythos
  • Religion: tree-hugging pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2021, 08:33:42 am »
If we don't think we'll have enough TC folks, we could consider inviting adjacent groups, like Clann Bhríde or subsets of them.

But I don't think we should attempt anything public. Waaaaaay too much work.

Agreed. Though we might want to consider inviting a local pagan organization in the Hudson Valley, if anybody has any contacts in such a group.

We should also consider involving people or group(s) who are musically inclined. I think something like this calls for live music!

Food and drink could be BYO/pot luck. I'll definitely be having cocktails!

Opus 40 is closed on Tuesdays, which is great--our rental would mean we'd have the place to ourselves, and it should mean the rental costs less. Regular hours are 11 AM - 5 PM...though I'm guessing with a rental the hours are whatever you want/pay for.

But if we take those hours as a guide, we could arrive at 11 to get everything and everyone in place (4 contingents waiting in the woods); then the procession from the north, south, east, and west to the central monolith at noon (which seems appropriate on the summer solstice). Then the ritual, and then...picnic and party!
The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs

Altair

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2021, 08:46:26 am »
If we don't think we'll have enough TC folks, we could consider inviting adjacent groups, like Clann Bhríde or subsets of them.

So what minimum number of people would be the critical mass to make an event like this worth doing?

So far the definite in-person attendees seem to be me, you, Aisling, and (because this is ALL HIS FAULT so he's doing this even if I have to drag him up there with me from NYC kicking and screaming!) The Green Wizard. We need a head count if there are others.

Cauldronites, if you are interested and able to attend this possible event, please sound off!

The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs

TheGreenWizard

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2021, 09:22:05 am »
So what minimum number of people would be the critical mass to make an event like this worth doing?

So far the definite in-person attendees seem to be me, you, Aisling, and (because this is ALL HIS FAULT so he's doing this even if I have to drag him up there with me from NYC kicking and screaming!) The Green Wizard. We need a head count if there are others.

Cauldronites, if you are interested and able to attend this possible event, please sound off!

Ya know, if you had simply told me in our text messages that this is what you were referring to, I'd have gotten here a LOT sooner!!

Now then, getting into this - definitely interested. I'd LOVE to be part of something physical with TC and make this happen.

OTOH, TGW's cite for the cost is for a weekday morning. TGW, what would the Sat/Sun cost be? Best to check on various times of day, including whether very early morning (i.e., around sunrise) differs from later in the morning/day.

(Yes, I also do ritual logistics. Reflexively.)

Sunflower

Good question. I'll put out an email to them right now and ask about the availability of that date and approximate costs. Though, I would love to have some advice on how to phrase that email: should I simply state that we'd like to use it for religious observation of the Summer solstice? Or should we simply state that we're holding a private event to the tune of *insert number* people?

ALSO, Seeing as this would be next year, and we do have the concerns of who's going to do the livestreaming/recording... I could get my husband to do it. He's also a stage manager (like Aster Breo) and he plans things out exceedingly well. Plus, he has connections on Broadway for costume designers, wardrobe, lighting that he could potentially tap into.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2021, 09:25:35 am by TheGreenWizard »
“You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. You're on your own. And you know what you know. And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go...”
― Dr. Seuss, Oh, the Places You'll Go

Altair

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2021, 10:44:13 am »
Now then, getting into this - definitely interested. I'd LOVE to be part of something physical with TC and make this happen.

Yay!

Good question. I'll put out an email to them right now and ask about the availability of that date and approximate costs. Though, I would love to have some advice on how to phrase that email: should I simply state that we'd like to use it for religious observation of the Summer solstice? Or should we simply state that we're holding a private event to the tune of *insert number* people?

Well, er, to tell the truth, I like this idea so much that I already sent them an email two days ago! I said it would be a private summer solstice event for about 20 (I just pulled the number out of my ass), and I asked for pricing for Sat, 6/18; Sun, 6/19; and Tues, 6/21.

But I haven't heard anything back yet, which is kind of annoying, since you'd figure they'd stay on top of potential bookings...and they don't have a lot of other things to do right now, since the site is closed! But maybe that's why I haven't heard back; maybe, with COVID closing everything down and the site closed for the winter anyway, there's so little activity for them that they're asleep at the wheel.

Hopefully I'll hear soon, and if not, I'll follow up.

ALSO, Seeing as this would be next year, and we do have the concerns of who's going to do the livestreaming/recording... I could get my husband to do it. He's also a stage manager (like Aster Breo) and he plans things out exceedingly well. Plus, he has connections on Broadway for costume designers, wardrobe, lighting that he could potentially tap into.

Excellent! He can help me with what I want to wear...I have a concept...

Aisling

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic Pagan Witch
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2021, 12:43:55 pm »
Well, er, to tell the truth, I like this idea so much that I already sent them an email two days ago! I said it would be a private summer solstice event for about 20 (I just pulled the number out of my ass), and I asked for pricing for Sat, 6/18; Sun, 6/19; and Tues, 6/21.

But I haven't heard anything back yet, which is kind of annoying, since you'd figure they'd stay on top of potential bookings...and they don't have a lot of other things to do right now, since the site is closed! But maybe that's why I haven't heard back; maybe, with COVID closing everything down and the site closed for the winter anyway, there's so little activity for them that they're asleep at the wheel.

I love your enthusiasm!  They may be minimally staffed during their down season, so hopefully that's the reason for the delay.

Excellent! He can help me with what I want to wear...I have a concept...

It wouldn't be black with bling, would it?  ;D

"The universe is under no obligation to make sense to you." -
Neil deGrasse Tyson

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2021, 04:30:07 pm »
How about a European mirror event at the same time, streamed in? And in any other corners of the world where there's enough interest to bring one or two people together...

I really love this idea - it makes it much more a counterpart to our online December solstice!

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

SunflowerP

• Host
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2021, 05:00:01 pm »
Agreed. Though we might want to consider inviting a local pagan organization in the Hudson Valley, if anybody has any contacts in such a group.

We should also consider involving people or group(s) who are musically inclined. I think something like this calls for live music!

We might also consider inviting them to join TC!

(Hmm. I don't have any contacts with HV pagan organizations, but I do still have contact with Ocelot, who might or might not have info on such groups - and who might or might not, but I think should have the chance to decide for himself, be interested in attending.)

Live music is a good idea - speaking generally, it kicks the 'good theatre' up a notch. (Speaking specifically, it's not hard to find exceptions, as our theatre folks can no doubt testify.)

Strictly in terms of head count, I'd say at least 12: four per quarter. (I just reviewed the pics in the original thread, and to the extent I can judge from pics, I don't think that's too low for the site size.) From another angle, 'enough that chipping in for site rental isn't a burden', however many we figure that to be.

We'll also want to consider maximums - the more people there are, the harder it is to a) construct, and b) stage-manage*. We might never approach the maximum number, but it'd be wise to figure out what it is.

(*Since I don't seem to be able to resist volunteering for things like this, I need to acquire myself some not-so--much-business-as-personal cards that say, 'We also herd cats'.)

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

SunflowerP

• Host
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2021, 05:01:09 pm »
It wouldn't be black with bling, would it?  ;D

No, Aisling, it's not just you ;D.

Morag

• Senior Staff
  • cranky witch mom
    • View Profile
    • Priestess of the 3
  • Religion: Priestess of the 3
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2021, 07:16:11 pm »

Interested? Hell yes.

Able? No clue at this point. But with this much advance notice I can start trying to put things into place now so it's more likely than not.
Pray drunk. Hex sober.
Priestess of the 3
"The most powerful god at any given moment is the one who can solve the moment's problem."
-Darkhawk

PerditaPickle

• Staff
  • It's all metta - at least, I believe it should be
    • View Profile
    • Portrait of Perpetual Perplexity
  • Religion: Druid-ish
  • Preferred Pronouns: She/her/hers
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2021, 07:39:08 pm »

I must confess, when 2022 was mentioned I did have a quick look at how to travel to the site from NYC!  But I think I'd likely be flying in to JFK, so even if I could save up enough in time I don't think I'd be able to manage it, alas.

How about a European mirror event at the same time, streamed in?

I'd almost certainly be up for something here in England -- my first thought was Avebury stone circle, since we all know Stonehenge is well and truly spoken for.
“Radiate boundless love towards the entire world — above, below, and across — unhindered, without ill will, without enmity.” – The Buddha
(From the Metta Sutta)

My Portrait of Perpetual Perplexity blog

Jenett

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Seeking: First steps on a path
  • Religion: Initiatory religious witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2021, 08:42:41 pm »
DAMN YOU, GREEN WIZARD!!! Now I can't stop thinking about this!

It's about a 3 hour drive from where I am (in Boston), which is not an impossible distance (even allowing for something like a night or two staying over in the area.) If people can make it to Boston, rides from there are not an impossible thing (though I might ask folks to do a ride by T or shuttle to somewhere less awful than the airport to do a pickup.)

I'm conceivably interested, modulo the usual "chronic health stuff shifts priorities, plus coven" (the weekend before or after actually makes that more complicated for me rather than less, on that that front.)

Also, have extensive public ritual experience, some theatre background, and a lot of "Wait, that will not work well with a ritual of X people" experience.
Seek Knowledge, Find Wisdom: Research help on esoteric and eclectic topics (consulting and other services)

Seeking: first steps on a Pagan path (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism)

Altair

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2021, 06:34:14 am »
I must confess, when 2022 was mentioned I did have a quick look at how to travel to the site from NYC!  But I think I'd likely be flying in to JFK, so even if I could save up enough in time I don't think I'd be able to manage it, alas.

You could rent a car from JFK and drive up to Saugerties...

...or there’s a bus from Manhattan’s main bus terminal (Port Authority Bus Terminal, at 42nd St & 8th Ave, in the Times Square area) to Saugerties, NY. (I don’t drive but have a friend who lives in Saugerties, so I’ve ridden it many times.) The trip is about 2.5 hours:

https://trailways.com/our_carriers/adirondack-trailways/

From the Saugerties stop, you’d take a taxi, Uber, or Lyft to the Opus 40 site, or presumably other Cauldronites attending would have driven and could come pick you up!

SunflowerP

• Host
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2021, 08:18:03 pm »
Also, have extensive public ritual experience, some theatre background, and a lot of "Wait, that will not work well with a ritual of X people" experience.

Oh, good, I was hoping you'd be interested! You have some particular ritual-constructon experience that I lack!

Sunflower

Altair

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2021, 09:14:09 am »

I heard back from Opus 40! I described our event as "a special costume celebration of the summer solstice in 2022," to which their executive director replied:

"That sounds marvelous. I am enclosing our rate sheet here. We would offer the rate for 15 people if your number is around 20. Let me know what you think."

The relevant part of the rate card:
Up to 15 guests                     $250/hour

...so for a total of $750, that would give us 3 hours, which would be great. However, that comes with limitations that don't appeal to me at all:

"Photo/Film Shoot or event cannot be on or directly in front of our main sculpture"

...since having our ceremony at the main monolith is sort of the point, I would think. There's a rental option with no limitations--so we'd have access to the central monolith--but unsurprisingly that's at a higher price point. There's also the question of whether we want the place to ourselves, or if we want random visitors to the site wandering in and out simultaneously. (The higher price point would give us exclusive access.)

So, things to think about as we weigh this; the good news is, the folks at Opus 40 seem flexible.

Tags:

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 54
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Please Donate!

The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.

* Shop & Support TC

The links below are affiliate links. When you click on one of these links you will go to the listed shopping site with The Cauldron's affiliate code. Any purchases you make during your visit will earn TC a tiny percentage of your purchase price at no extra cost to you.

* In Memoriam

Chavi (2006)
Elspeth (2010)
Marilyn (2013)

* Cauldron Staff

Host:
Sunflower

Message Board Staff
Board Coordinator:
Darkhawk

Assistant Board Coordinator:
Aster Breo

Senior Staff:
Aisling, Allaya, Jenett, Sefiru

Staff:
Ashmire, EclecticWheel, HarpingHawke, Kylara, PerditaPickle, rocquelaire

Discord Chat Staff
Chat Coordinator:
Morag

'Up All Night' Coordinator:
Altair

Cauldron Council:
Bob, Catja, Chatelaine, Emma-Eldritch, Fausta, Jubes, Kelly, LyricFox, Phouka, Sperran, Star, Steve, Tana

Site Administrator:
Randall

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal