collapse

* Recent Posts

Author Topic: Tech: Looking For a Good Web Host  (Read 7801 times)

ehbowen

• Grand Master Member
  • A Ways Around the Bend...
    • View Profile
    • Streamliner Schedules
  • Religion: Southern Baptist
Re: Looking For a Good Web Host...
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2017, 05:21:14 pm »
Speaking of which, anyone got a spam recipe to link to? (Link, rather than post, so that people can choose whether to look or not; if you post the actual recipe, use the spoiler tag.)

Ah. Inclusivity. Must consider the feelings of the squeamish or those with weak stomachs....
--------Eric H. Bowen
Where's the KABOOM? There was supposed to have been an Earth-shattering KABOOM!
Computers are like air conditioning. They become useless when you open Windows—Linus Torvalds.

Sefiru

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2017, 05:58:03 pm »
Speaking of which, anyone got a spam recipe to link to? (Link, rather than post, so that people can choose whether to look or not; if you post the actual recipe, use the spoiler tag.)

Sunflower

Ta da!

Hawaiian SPAM kebabs. (warning: auto-play video ads on that site.)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Me on AO3 & Deviantart

Abigail

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2017, 09:35:17 am »
Speaking of which, anyone got a spam recipe to link to?

How about a whole menu? (Spoiler because may be tldr)
Spoiler:  
Appetizer:
Spam summer rolls: http://www.yummly.co/#recipe/Spam-Katsu-Summer-Rolls-596339 or
Spam Thai meatballs: http://www.cbsnews.com/news/recipe-spam-thai-style-meatballs/
Main course:
Spam Wellington- 3rd recipe here: http://www.thelisttv.com/the-list/3-tasty-easy-to-make-and-cheap-meals-made-with-spam
Dessert:
Maple & Brown Sugar Spam Ice Cream http://www.spam.com/recipes/maple-brown-sugar-spam-ice-cream

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2017, 05:46:26 pm »
How about a whole menu? (Spoiler because may be tldr)

Spam ice cream?  That's... That's... ...just never mind. :'(
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

jacobwallace

• Jr. Newbie
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
  • Religion: India
Re: Looking For a Good Web Host
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2018, 08:51:19 am »
May i know the specifications of the hosting service with price. We can estimate the requirement of the need of your's. We can suggest you as best in the market. Thanks for raising this question.

ehbowen

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
    • Streamliner Schedules
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2018, 01:31:23 pm »
May i know the specifications of the hosting service with price. We can estimate the requirement of the need of your's. We can suggest you as best in the market. Thanks for raising this question.
This is close enough to the original topic that I request that the mods not consider it SPAM as long as it doesn't get spammier. I have left IX, or rather they left me when they sold out to Site5. I am currently self-hosting but I'm considering a mirror server as a backup. Right now I'm looking at a DigitalOcean droplet, but if you have something which is comparable in price and offers more storage I will give it a look.

Please don't reply here or it might be treated as SPAM, but my public email address can be found easily on the Streamliner Schedules web site. I suggest that you put "Re: The Cauldron" in your subject line so that you stand out from the rest of the bulk mail. Thanks.

Sent from my STV100-1 using Tapatalk

--------Eric H. Bowen
Computers are like air conditioning. They become useless when you open Windows—Linus Torvalds.

ehbowen

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
    • Streamliner Schedules
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2018, 02:01:40 pm »
This is close enough to the original topic that I request that the mods not consider it SPAM as long as it doesn't get spammier. I have left IX, or rather they left me when they sold out to Site5. I am currently self-hosting but I'm considering a mirror server as a backup. Right now I'm looking at a DigitalOcean droplet, but if you have something which is comparable in price and offers more storage I will give it a look.

Please don't reply here or it might be treated as SPAM, but my public email address can be found easily on the Streamliner Schedules web site. I suggest that you put "Re: The Cauldron" in your subject line so that you stand out from the rest of the bulk mail. Thanks.

Also going back to the original topic, on the subject of domain name registrars: May I put in a personal plug for gkg.net? I saw a recommendation for them on line, checked them out, transferred some of my domains to them, and I've been very happy so far. They have the best deal I've yet seen on SSL certificates...$19.95 per year for one domain, or $79.95 per year for a wild card certificate... I haven't found anything else even close to that pricing, and the certificate was delivered in one business day with no hassle. Worth your time. [/proselytizing]

--------Eric H. Bowen

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2018, 02:31:08 pm »
This is close enough to the original topic that I request that the mods not consider it SPAM as long as it doesn't get spammier.

We're fine with not treating that particular post as spam (after all, the thread already had an entire menu of spam recipes!), but the person-or-bot posting it was an obvious spammer and thus was banned; that's not up for dissent.

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2018, 05:44:29 pm »
Also going back to the original topic, on the subject of domain name registrars: May I put in a personal plug for gkg.net?

Not my personal favorite, but I have had clients use them and be quite happy.

I saw a recommendation for them on line, checked them out, transferred some of my domains to them, and I've been very happy so far. They have the best deal I've yet seen on SSL certificates...$19.95 per year for one domain, or $79.95 per year for a wild card certificate... I haven't found anything else even close to that pricing, and the certificate was delivered in one business day with no hassle. Worth your time. [/proselytizing]

I use Let's Encrypt (letsencrypt.org) because it is free. Many hosting companies are set up to automate the process of using Let's Encrypt now. As we have a VPS, it's easy -- I just set up a cron job to run their client once a day to check for expiring serts and renew them.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

Tags: