collapse

* Recent Posts

Author Topic: Animal spirit guide  (Read 2879 times)

KatieCoy83

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
Animal spirit guide
« on: October 22, 2013, 12:45:20 pm »
Mid summer I was trying to find what my guide might be. For the last few weeks 3 crows have taken a liking to my yard. It's a pretty good bird, squirrel and butterfly friendly place. These 3 seem quite content perched on the fence hanging out. Could the crow be it? If so what do you think their meaning is? I don't believe they are a 'bad omen'.

veggiewolf

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
Re: Animal spirit guide
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2013, 02:30:05 pm »
Quote from: KatieCoy83;126433
Mid summer I was trying to find what my guide might be. For the last few weeks 3 crows have taken a liking to my yard. It's a pretty good bird, squirrel and butterfly friendly place. These 3 seem quite content perched on the fence hanging out. Could the crow be it? If so what do you think their meaning is? I don't believe they are a 'bad omen'.

My experience with crows is that they take a liking to places that meet their needs and, in the spirit of always looking at mundane reasons first, your yard is such a place.
Fluid Morality - my spiritual blog
Eating Monsters - my mental health blog

"Religion does not define a deity- it defines the human approach and interpretation of deity." - Juni
"I hate magical thinking in my magic." - Darkhawk
"...a baseball club; a soccer unkindness; a hockey murder; a football team..." - Cecil, Welcome to Night Vale

KatieCoy83

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
Animal spirit guide
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2013, 02:38:14 pm »
Quote from: veggiewolf;126453
My experience with crows is that they take a liking to places that meet their needs and, in the spirit of always looking at mundane reasons first, your yard is such a place.

My yard is mundane? Isn't that a bad thing? I enjoy planting flowers and keeping it pretty. :(

Jenett

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Seeking: First steps on a path
  • Religion: Initiatory religious witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2013, 02:53:37 pm »
Quote from: KatieCoy83;126457
My yard is mundane? Isn't that a bad thing? I enjoy planting flowers and keeping it pretty. :(

I think that what Veggiewolf was getting at is that it's pretty normal behaviour for crows to hang out by yards.

Things that would be more clearly a sign would be unusual behaviour, seeing an animal in a time/place/season that would not normally occur, or really persistent presence, far beyond the normal patterns. (Basically, when evaluating patterns like that, factor in everything, including stuff like "We had an odd fall weather-wise, and all the birds are acting a little odd" or whatever else applies.)

If you take good care of your garden, you probably have lots of interesting food for crows, and them hanging around is not that unusual.
Seek Knowledge, Find Wisdom: Research help on esoteric and eclectic topics (consulting and other services)

Seeking: first steps on a Pagan path (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism)

KatieCoy83

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
Animal spirit guide
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2013, 03:03:09 pm »
Quote from: Jenett;126460
I think that what Veggiewolf was getting at is that it's pretty normal behaviour for crows to hang out by yards.

Things that would be more clearly a sign would be unusual behaviour, seeing an animal in a time/place/season that would not normally occur, or really persistent presence, far beyond the normal patterns. (Basically, when evaluating patterns like that, factor in everything, including stuff like "We had an odd fall weather-wise, and all the birds are acting a little odd" or whatever else applies.)

If you take good care of your garden, you probably have lots of interesting food for crows, and them hanging around is not that unusual.

Oh I see. Just got to keep my eyes open still. I was feeding them peanuts. Lol.

veggiewolf

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2013, 11:40:50 am »
Quote from: Jenett;126460

That's exactly what I was saying.  Thanks, Jenett.
Fluid Morality - my spiritual blog
Eating Monsters - my mental health blog

"Religion does not define a deity- it defines the human approach and interpretation of deity." - Juni
"I hate magical thinking in my magic." - Darkhawk
"...a baseball club; a soccer unkindness; a hockey murder; a football team..." - Cecil, Welcome to Night Vale

Aeronis

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2013, 11:24:15 am »
Quote from: KatieCoy83;126461
Oh I see. Just got to keep my eyes open still. I was feeding them peanuts. Lol.

That might be another reason they're hanging around. ;)

SeaTurtleSwims

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2013, 11:58:32 pm »
Quote from: KatieCoy83;126433
Mid summer I was trying to find what my guide might be.

Do you have a mentor at all or know a trusted energy/magic mover? I had my reiki mentor when I was learning level one work me through a guided meditation that led me to my spirit animal. The funny thing is about animals, you only have one spirit animal, but you can have countless totems of many different animals that come to you to help you out for different this or that reasons.

I had many meditative experiences with my spirit animal before I "officially" met him; but, the night before I moved away to college I had the most vivid dream about a condor! How random! But who knew that condors are a symbol that encourages the positive side of change and growth? Or maybe you're outdoors lock eyes with a beaver for a moment. Totems appear in endless opportunities in sometimes the strangest ways!

I hope you find out what your spirit animal is :) And keep track of your totems! Sometimes it does well to revisit them haha

SeaTurtleSwims

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2013, 12:15:23 am »
Quote from: SeaTurtleSwims;128270
you only have one spirit animal, but you can have countless totems of many different animals that come to you to help you out for different this or that reasons.

Sorry, that was a bit generalizing. I just realized not everyone may believe that way :/ Didn't mean to assume! my bad haha #newbiemistake
« Last Edit: November 04, 2013, 12:16:04 am by SeaTurtleSwims »

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2013, 04:14:38 pm »
Quote from: SeaTurtleSwims;128271
Sorry, that was a bit generalizing. I just realized not everyone may believe that way :/ Didn't mean to assume! my bad haha #newbiemistake

It goes farther than just generalizing; the way you use the word 'totem' is inaccurate and problematic in a way that's not just 'different people have different beliefs'. You can find a pretty good discussion of the issues in this thread (specifically, in posts by Sage, Nyktipolos, Morag, and Stephy).

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

SeaTurtleSwims

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2013, 10:24:48 pm »
Quote from: SunflowerP;128339
the way you use the word 'totem' is inaccurate and problematic in a way that's not just 'different people have different beliefs'.

Ah I did read the conversation (well, not all 15 pages, but I did read a couple) and read outside of that on how individual animals were used to identify clans in the Anishinaabe clan system. Knowing now that totem is a word derived from that, I agree with it's misuse in the context I had used it. As my father did not grow up in thecAnishinaabe clan system and has no official clan animal does that mean in theory I would be without one?

And yet the things I wrote I believe are true for my individual experience. So, what would be a more appropriate word for what I called "spirit guide" and what would be the most appropriate term for what I called "totems"?

I would rather like being able to improve my conversation skills by not offending people and using the right vocab at the same time haha

Edit: And as for why I used those terms in the first place- it's what I was told they were called. I guess it was one of those things I never really paused to question before.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2013, 10:28:31 pm by SeaTurtleSwims »

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2013, 06:15:58 pm »
Quote from: SeaTurtleSwims;128374
Ah I did read the conversation (well, not all 15 pages, but I did read a couple)

The thread I linked to has 15 posts (a page and a half), not 15 pages. So if part of the reason you didn't read 'all 15 pages' is because you couldn't find them, that'd be why. (There are other threads about this, as well, one of them quite long - you can find them by putting 'doodem' into the site search box in the upper right corner of the page and clicking on the magnifying glass icon - but Nyktipolos and I decided the one I posted was the most informative.)

Others are probably better qualified than I am to address your other questions, so I'll leave it to them, and perhaps come back to this later if necessary.

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

Nyktipolos

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2013, 06:36:02 pm »
Quote from: SeaTurtleSwims;128374
Ah I did read the conversation (well, not all 15 pages, but I did read a couple) and read outside of that on how individual animals were used to identify clans in the Anishinaabe clan system. Knowing now that totem is a word derived from that, I agree with it's misuse in the context I had used it. As my father did not grow up in thecAnishinaabe clan system and has no official clan animal does that mean in theory I would be without one?

Well, yes. Theoretically you could be adopted by someone who is a member and you would take on that doodem, but it wouldn't be because of an animal that "called" to you; it would make a member of that family, of an extended family of kin that you care for and who also care for you.

And yet the things I wrote I believe are true for my individual experience. So, what would be a more appropriate word for what I called "spirit guide" and what would be the most appropriate term for what I called "totems"?

To be honest, I've seen totem, spirit animal, spirit guide, etc. all used interchangeably, and to me it seems like a very chaotic system. So my first suggestion would be that if you happen to belong to a particular magical/religion society, or are a reconstructionist, you use a term(s) native to that system.

Just my two cents: I honestly have little to no issue nowadays with people using spirit animal as a term, because it seems so divorced from the concept of doodem. I think it only becomes an issue when people try to conflate their modern, very non-Anishinaabe practice with the doodem.

Edit: And as for why I used those terms in the first place- it's what I was told they were called. I guess it was one of those things I never really paused to question before.

Yeah, which kind of goes back to my bit about how chaotic it really is, and why it seems almost laughable (at least to me) to compare the two? Not in a mocking sense, but rather an incredulous sense. Having a doodem animal is a very specific thing in a very complex culture. It's not interchangeable with other terms, really, because then it wouldn't really define it in that culture's language anymore. It's about having a family, a place, a sense of direction, a role ...

I also don't say that there is no way for other spirits to come and guide people to help them in their life! It's just... that's not exactly the same thing as a doodem.

And I mean, this hasn't even touched the fact that many other nations have clan systems, some of which involve animals, and some that don't.
"Though my soul may set in darkness, it will rise in perfect light;
I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night." - Sarah Williams
On the Rivers

SeaTurtleSwims

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2013, 10:52:52 pm »
Quote from: Nyktipolos;128447
Theoretically you could be adopted by someone who is a member and you would take on that doodem, but it wouldn't be because of an animal that "called" to you...

Gotcha, so it's your family's animal, inherited or adopted into a single family.

Quote from: Nyktipolos;128447
So my first suggestion would be that if you happen to belong to a particular magical/religion society, or are a reconstructionist, you use a term(s) native to that system... I think it only becomes an issue when people try to conflate their modern, very non-Anishinaabe practice with the doodem.

That's a good idea :) I've had reiki mentors before but I've never had a shamanistic mentor. I think that'd certainly be something to look into for learning more about identifying proper belief terms and even becoming more knowledgeable in the belief system. And for the mean time, I'll try to find a more appropriate word than totem to describe that experience!

Thanks for the help you guys, Sunflower and Nyktipolos :)

And PS, this is my first time attempting a multiple quote response, so I apologize in advance if it doesn't turn out right haha

Tags: