collapse

* Recent Posts

Author Topic: Offerings  (Read 6629 times)

HarpingHawke

• Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: shapeshifting, witchery, polytheism. under endless construction.
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/them
Offerings
« on: September 13, 2014, 01:34:54 pm »
Do you leave offerings to your gods? If so, what kinds?

If you leave food, do you eat it afterwards or are you really not supposed to?

Are there any rules to this? What about those of you who don't leave food and do other things as offerings? What applies to those?

Do your offerings ever tie into the work you do for your gods?

Feel free to add anything else you deem relevant.
"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." - Hemingway

BillyBitts

• View Profile
Re: Offerings
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2014, 01:45:41 pm »
No rules. Just don't hurt anybody or anything. And don't burn down your house.

Redfaery

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2014, 02:04:14 pm »
Quote from: BillyBitts;158859
No rules. Just don't hurt anybody or anything. And don't burn down your house.

I would think that actually, there *are* rules. I wouldn't give Ganesha a steak, for instance. And also, it is indeed possible to sacrifice an animal humanely and ethically. For traditions such as Santeria, it is part of a long history of religious practice. So that "rule" should only be followed on a case-by-case basis. I would not, for instance, offer a blood sacrifice to a Shinto deity, since that would be like dumping a pile of turds on their plate.
KARMA: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Valeria Crowe

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://thesallowbeldam.tumblr.com/
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2014, 03:23:14 pm »
I do. I tend to think offering should be appropriate to the deity or spirit.

God of wine: libations of wine. Easy!

God of joy and light: flowers and crystals. Easy!

God of the woods, of nature red in tooth and claw? Meat and carved bones. Too easy!

On a more serious note, research your deity. If its an ancient one, see if you can research its past worship cutoms and use a traditional offering ( unless you worship Moloch or Andramelech, not enough babies to go around), if its one who has only spoken to you, meditate and contemplated that matter. Pray and ask what it wants.

And on a practical note, burned offerings? Outside, in a fire ring or bowl. Or you'll be meeting your god face to face a bit too soon, especially if you live in a dry, wooded area.
"This is a sorrow-spider. Which end do you hold it by? TRICK QUESTION!"

Megatherium

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Heathen(ish)
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2014, 04:19:09 pm »
Quote from: Redfaery;158861
I would think that actually, there *are* rules. I wouldn't give Ganesha a steak, for instance. And also, it is indeed possible to sacrifice an animal humanely and ethically. For traditions such as Santeria, it is part of a long history of religious practice. So that "rule" should only be followed on a case-by-case basis. I would not, for instance, offer a blood sacrifice to a Shinto deity, since that would be like dumping a pile of turds on their plate.

I think in the cases you have outlined - all of which are traditions that have been continuously practiced, without interruption- there are in fact well-established rules regarding which offerings are appropriate.

In the case of interrupted traditions - Western Eurasian religions for example - there is a bit more leeway simply because these are deity relationships that are being reestablished, and there may well be some change regarding which offerings are appropriate. However, what we do know about offerings given to deities in interrupted traditions in the past seems like a good place to start in the reestablishment of a relationship with a deity.

There's been some discussion among Heathens of late regarding offerings, with some Heathens taking the view that only animal sacrifice is a truly appropriate offering to the Germanic deities. I'm not one who shares this view, partly because of the practical and legal barriers to animal sacrifice for me would basically mean that I would be unable to make any offerings to Germanic deities whatsoever. I think that offerings of animals in an agricultural society make sense, but less so in an urban context when a person does not have the practical or legal means to engage in animal sacrifice (I have no place to keep a goat).

I personally predominantly offer the Gods libations of alcohol - mead, wine, and beer. At times, I have offered flowers from my garden (for Freya and Eostre), cut branches from my Yule/Christmas tree (Skadi), and nice dark rye bread (for Donar and Freyr). I recently offered a sunflower from my garden to Sifa.

The combination of libations and occasional offerings of flowers and food seem to work for me, and I have not experienced anything which has struck me as divine disapproval, so I will continue to do so in the future.
My views are one that speaks to freedom.
-George W. Bush

missgraceless

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic Pagan
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2014, 06:00:26 pm »
Quote from: HarpingHawke;158858

Are there any rules to this? What about those of you who don't leave food and do other things as offerings? What applies to those?

I "share" my morning coffee and breakfast belvita things with Quan Yin. As my coffee is cooling I dunk my belvitas, nibble those, and (silently) send up a quick "good morning, here's your coffee" kind of thing. It's respectful, but not formal. Most of the time I'm hardly conscious enough to actually actively offer, but I've been doing it for so long She knows it's there for Her.
"Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly."   ~ Morticia Addams

Redfaery

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2014, 06:24:05 pm »
Quote from: Megatherium;158865
I think in the cases you have outlined - all of which are traditions that have been continuously practiced, without interruption- there are in fact well-established rules regarding which offerings are appropriate.

In the case of interrupted traditions - Western Eurasian religions for example - there is a bit more leeway simply because these are deity relationships that are being reestablished, and there may well be some change regarding which offerings are appropriate. However, what we do know about offerings given to deities in interrupted traditions in the past seems like a good place to start in the reestablishment of a relationship with a deity.

It is indeed true that some traditions have more leeway than others; I was merely responding to a comment that seemed to imply that there were no rules at all. As it is, even re-established traditions tend to have their own guidelines. For example, I know many pagans who later take down and eat the food they leave as offerings, but many Celtic Reconstructionists don't do so, as the food has essentially had its "good bits" eaten by the gods and would thus be unfit for human consumption.
KARMA: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Tom

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://serpentinetom.wordpress.com
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2014, 07:29:54 pm »

Honestly, I'm still working out how offerings work out for me at the moment, so a lot of this is going to be subject to change.

I usually leave Veles offerings of bread, which I consume afterwards because he says it's okay, though someday I might decide not to consume them. Occasionally he gets offerings of other food as well such as chocolate or fruit. I have been thinking of making food that he might like as well in the future once I feel more like experimenting with cooking.

Mara, the other deity I give offerings to, usually gets cut flowers, though sometimes also bread, but I do not consume that because I do not have the same arrangement with her as I do with Veles.

I also consider my visits to the farmer's market and getting food from the vendors there as a kind of offering as well. In fact, that's where I get the bread that I give as an offering.

Redfaery

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2014, 04:46:16 am »
Quote from: Tom;158879
Honestly, I'm still working out how offerings work out for me at the moment, so a lot of this is going to be subject to change.

....And I was so busy jumping on a newbie's post that I didn't answer the original question. Apologies, BillyBitts!:ashamed:

I look to Shinto for my formal, ritual offerings, but I do think I have a fair bit of leeway, as I am a foreigner on foreign soil. I don't offer sake, or branches of sakaki, for example. The former is irrelevant to me, and the latter is impossible to obtain. ;)

However, I see my "real" offerings as the things Benzaiten-sama asks me to eat for her. She prefers cultured milk products like kefir, and various yogurts, especially if they're fruit flavored. It might seem surprising for a goddess with Indian origins, but she also loves the occasional steak. Only top quality, super-fresh beef however, and she prefers that they be cooked and presented in a characteristically Japanese manner.

Well...as the Vedas call for sacrificing bulls, perhaps it's not that surprising? Benzaiten isn't Hindu, and she isn't really entirely Buddhist, either. So perhaps I should hold off on the judgment. The steak is certainly really good!

Sophia C

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://leithincluan.wordpress.com/
  • Religion: Druid, Celtic & contemplative Christian, Gaelic-ish polytheist, on a mystic path
  • Preferred Pronouns: They/them
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2014, 05:46:53 am »

Mostly whisky. Sometimes fruit or bread. Flowers that I've brought in from my garden, sometimes.

The first Celtic reconstructionists decided that mythology and folklore suggest that eating offerings is unwise. I follow this guideline. The CR FAQ explains it like this:

"Offerings to the Deities and spirits should not be eaten afterwards. CR belief has generally been that the toradh (“substance”) of ritually offered food and drink has been consumed by the spirits, and that to consume that which was given to the Deities and spirits is subtly harmful to the living. This was also a part of early Scottish and Irish belief and, due to this, offerings left at the doorstep were usually watched to see that the family cats and dogs didn’t get into them."
- http://www.paganachd.com/faq/ritual.html#offerings

I know some Celtic Pagans who don't worry about this, though.

I don't think there are other rules, beyond personal ones. So, for example, I try to be environmentally conscious in my offerings, but that's just my own approach.

There has been a bit of controversy over horse sacrifice among some Pagan Celts recently. I'm against that, both religiously and personally, but some groups are not.

That's a good question. Yes, in the sense that my work is to maintain a temple space to my deity. But it's certainly not the only work I am to do.
"We're all stories, in the end. Make it a good one, eh?"
- Doctor Who

Lune

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2014, 01:26:40 pm »

As you might have read from other posts there are indeed rules but they're different for every tradition. I can speak for my tradition but most of all I speak for me since I'm currently still a solitary practicioner of my faith.

I leave offerings for my deites when I worship them during the full moon rituals and the eight festivals of the year. There are a couple of special days unique to my path aside from these that require offerings too.

Usually the offerings consist of moon shaped cakes I made by hand and a chalice of grape juice as a substitute for wine since I don't drink. I eat these offerings because it is like sharing a meal together. Any other food offerings I don't eat, instead I return it to nature. For example breads and cakes I would feed to the birds if it's safe for them to eat. Liquids I would poor onto the earth in my garden. Flowers and plants I would add to the compost pile or tuck beneath the earth to feed the soil.

There is another offering I make to the spirits of nature and the hearth and home. It's a mixture of wine (grape juice), honey and milk. We call it nectar and this is something I would also poor back onto the earth after it has sat on my shrine for a bit.

Hopefully this is helpful ^.^

Blessed be.

Lune

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2014, 05:42:07 pm »
Quote from: BillyBitts;158859

Quote from: Cuthwin Crowe;158863

A Reminder:
Hi, BillyBitts and Cuthwin Crowe,

Just a quick note:  Please remember to quote, even if you're just  replying to the first message in the thread.  It makes the discussion  easier to follow, and it's required by  our  rules. (If you're using tapatalk on a phone, please hold your finger down on the message you wish to reply to until the quote function pops up.)

This isn't a formal warning, just a reminder.  No  reply is necessary, but if you have questions or need clarification,  please feel free to contact a member of staff privately.

Thanks!
Sunflower, TC Forum Staff
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

Jainarayan

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2014, 11:21:32 am »
Quote from: Megatherium;158865
I personally predominantly offer the Gods libations of alcohol - mead, wine, and beer. At times, I have offered flowers from my garden (for Freya and Eostre), cut branches from my Yule/Christmas tree (Skadi), and nice dark rye bread (for Donar and Freyr). I recently offered a sunflower from my garden to Sifa.

I just noticed this, and is something I have a question about, as I'm navigating my way through worship.

I have Thor (my primary deity), Odin, Frigga, Freyr, Freyja, Tyr and Baldr on my altar. I have them as primaries in my pantheon because they represent something to me. Thor is a replication of the Eyrarland Statue, the others are framed pictures. I have some written prayers and verses that I recite, along with lighting candles and incense. I would take the food (bread, fruits, etc.), flowers and liquids and return them to the earth.

The question is, do you rotate the offerings you make to each individual deity? For example, Freyja gets flowers one time; Thor gets the beer or mead (maybe every time, being the primary deity); something for Tyr the next time, and so on? Or offer them all something in one worship session  (though you can't always get fresh flowers)? Or maybe the individual offerings on their particular day of the week or another day in the month or year? I'm curious how it works when they get these offerings.

katbast

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2014, 10:26:23 pm »
Quote from: Gunnar Thorbjorn;162467
I just noticed this, and is something I have a question about, as I'm navigating my way through worship.

I have Thor (my primary deity), Odin, Frigga, Freyr, Freyja, Tyr and Baldr on my altar. I have them as primaries in my pantheon because they represent something to me. Thor is a replication of the Eyrarland Statue, the others are framed pictures. I have some written prayers and verses that I recite, along with lighting candles and incense. I would take the food (bread, fruits, etc.), flowers and liquids and return them to the earth.

The question is, do you rotate the offerings you make to each individual deity? For example, Freyja gets flowers one time; Thor gets the beer or mead (maybe every time, being the primary deity); something for Tyr the next time, and so on? Or offer them all something in one worship session  (though you can't always get fresh flowers)? Or maybe the individual offerings on their particular day of the week or another day in the month or year? I'm curious how it works when they get these offerings.

When I do daily (ish) ritual I give a general offering to each pantheon each time. I also offer half a cone incense to each individual deity each time. For holidays I usually offer to whoever I'm honoring that day.

Jainarayan

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2014, 08:49:38 am »
Quote from: katbast;162547
When I do daily (ish) ritual I give a general offering to each pantheon each time. I also offer half a cone incense to each individual deity each time. For holidays I usually offer to whoever I'm honoring that day.

Great, thanks. :) I didn't want to over-think it, as I'm prone to do (ocpd and gad). I came to the thought that maybe a little something for everyone to share (deities and spirits): the common denominator offering being the candle, incense, drink, and perhaps a food item.

Tags: