collapse

* Recent Posts

Author Topic: Chaos magic using names?  (Read 3493 times)

Anisaer

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
Chaos magic using names?
« on: March 01, 2019, 11:10:02 pm »
Hi all,

I think this is the right place for this post - if not I apologize! So I am not a chaos practitioner. However, a friend has recently described how her trainer from her gym, who she knows is a practitioner of chaos magick, using her name backwards in training sessions when addressing her. Additionally, she found on his YouTube profile a playlist title [her name backwards] (it’s mostly music). This has her freaked right out and she is asking for help with protective/reversible ideas. I have a few suggestions but was looking for ideas more specifically tailored to this form of working.

Thanks very much for your time!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hariti

• Sr. Master Member
  • Kyrie Eleison
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Extremely Eclectic
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/they
Re: Chaos magic using names?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2019, 03:39:27 am »
Additionally, she found on his YouTube profile a playlist title [her name backwards] (it’s mostly music).

Well, that's creepy.

Does your friend trust this guy? Because, magic or no magic, that kind of behavior sends up a lot of red flags. Using someone else's name for something without them knowing is all kinds of weird and not really acceptable.
"The worshippers of the gods go to them; to the manes go the ancestor-worshippers; to the Deities who preside over the elements go their worshippers; My devotees come to Me." ... "Whichever devotee desires to adore whatever such Deity with faith, in all such votaries I make that particular faith unshakable. Endowed with that faith, a votary performs the worship of that particular deity and obtains the fruits thereof, these being granted by Me alone." - Sri Krishna

Uneryx

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
  • Religion: it's eclectic (woogie woogie woogie)
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2019, 10:32:54 pm »
Hi all,

I think this is the right place for this post - if not I apologize! So I am not a chaos practitioner. However, a friend has recently described how her trainer from her gym, who she knows is a practitioner of chaos magick, using her name backwards in training sessions when addressing her. Additionally, she found on his YouTube profile a playlist title [her name backwards] (it’s mostly music). This has her freaked right out and she is asking for help with protective/reversible ideas. I have a few suggestions but was looking for ideas more specifically tailored to this form of working.

From what I've read about chaos magic, using someone's name backwards isn't necessarily A Thing... but the general idea is that it's your will vs their will, and chaos magic is hacking the universe's basic code to say "I want this thing, gimme." So I don't know what end using her name backwards would accomplish, especially since the shortest/simplest/most effective route would be to just use her name so that the magic doesn't get confused.

This trainer DOES sound like a mega creep. Maybe he's trying to freak her out on purpose?

As far as protecting herself, I have two suggestions:

1. She needs to find a new trainer and distance herself from this guy because he's a creep and it sounds like he's obsessed with her, which is not healthy or good.

2. Magically, a simple "return to sender" style spell or sigil, perhaps?

Anisaer

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2019, 06:13:09 pm »
Well, that's creepy.

Does your friend trust this guy? Because, magic or no magic, that kind of behavior sends up a lot of red flags. Using someone else's name for something without them knowing is all kinds of weird and not really acceptable.

It is indeed super creepy and she has had some other disconcerting interactions with him that demonstrate his poor boundaries and self-centered...approach to life? Their relationship is strictly professional so this level of interaction is beyond that scope and this the creeped out ness.

Hariti

• Sr. Master Member
  • Kyrie Eleison
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Extremely Eclectic
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/they
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2019, 06:16:15 pm »
Their relationship is strictly professional so this level of interaction is beyond that scope and this the creeped out ness.

She should cut off their professional relationship as well, and avoid him IRL and online. If she sees him creeping around or acting weird, tell her not to ignore it and to contact the police. Magic is fine for protecting against whatever creepy rituals he might be doing, but it sounds to me like she needs physical protection as well.
"The worshippers of the gods go to them; to the manes go the ancestor-worshippers; to the Deities who preside over the elements go their worshippers; My devotees come to Me." ... "Whichever devotee desires to adore whatever such Deity with faith, in all such votaries I make that particular faith unshakable. Endowed with that faith, a votary performs the worship of that particular deity and obtains the fruits thereof, these being granted by Me alone." - Sri Krishna

Anisaer

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2019, 06:23:43 pm »
From what I've read about chaos magic, using someone's name backwards isn't necessarily A Thing... but the general idea is that it's your will vs their will, and chaos magic is hacking the universe's basic code to say "I want this thing, gimme." So I don't know what end using her name backwards would accomplish, especially since the shortest/simplest/most effective route would be to just use her name so that the magic doesn't get confused.

This trainer DOES sound like a mega creep. Maybe he's trying to freak her out on purpose?

As far as protecting herself, I have two suggestions:

1. She needs to find a new trainer and distance herself from this guy because he's a creep and it sounds like he's obsessed with her, which is not healthy or good.

2. Magically, a simple "return to sender" style spell or sigil, perhaps?

Thank you Uneryx, yes she is seeking to alternative gyms and trainers and working on moving away from interacting with him.

As to the name thing, a very cursory search for backwards naming in the context of chaos magic, which I understand is mostly Hermetically and Abrahamically derived, noted that backwards incantations are used to focus the intention and will of the practitioner because it requires more energy to speak backwards. So I see your point about the hacking idea. I kind of wonder why he would use it in public, in person like that and the only thing I can come to is that it’s a deliberate push on her to see what she will allow or accommodate. I had thought that, in the event she has to interact with him and he does this again, a firm “No, my name is [correct form of name]” with eye contact would help to counter both the social and energetic casting on his part.

I will make the suggestion of the RTS sigil or working. Thanks again for your time!

Anisaer

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2019, 06:24:53 pm »
She should cut off their professional relationship as well, and avoid him IRL and online. If she sees him creeping around or acting weird, tell her not to ignore it and to contact the police. Magic is fine for protecting against whatever creepy rituals he might be doing, but it sounds to me like she needs physical protection as well.

This is good practical advice also. Thank you. Sometimes it’s hard to remember to honor our intuition.

Sefiru

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2019, 07:00:16 pm »
I had thought that, in the event she has to interact with him and he does this again, a firm “No, my name is [correct form of name]” with eye contact would help to counter both the social and energetic casting on his part.

I will make the suggestion of the RTS sigil or working. Thanks again for your time!

On the magic side of things, I was also going to suggest a form of reaffirming the power of her own name. And as it happens, the English language has a chant useful for this purpose; you probably know it already: "Ana, ana, bobana" etc. Whether you consider this a type of chaos magic itself, or just a psychological boost, getting some friends together to do that chant a few times could be helpful.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Me on AO3 & Deviantart

Uneryx

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
  • Religion: it's eclectic (woogie woogie woogie)
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2019, 01:21:11 pm »
On the magic side of things, I was also going to suggest a form of reaffirming the power of her own name. And as it happens, the English language has a chant useful for this purpose; you probably know it already: "Ana, ana, bobana" etc. Whether you consider this a type of chaos magic itself, or just a psychological boost, getting some friends together to do that chant a few times could be helpful.

I often forget how chaos magic has the capacity for outright silliness turned into effective magic and I kind of love that.

Morbid

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2019, 12:20:20 am »
Hi all,

Definitely quite creepy behavior.  I would definitely advise not to interact with him period.  Sever all ties and leave it like that. 

As for a magical solution, perhaps a ring or necklace or other piece of jewelry could be blessed to ward off the negative energy/intentions?  Something she could wear on a daily basis.
For he who has truly lived never truly dies.

Tags:

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 165
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Please Donate!

The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.

* Shop & Support TC

The links below are affiliate links. When you click on one of these links you will go to the listed shopping site with The Cauldron's affiliate code. Any purchases you make during your visit will earn TC a tiny percentage of your purchase price at no extra cost to you.

* In Memoriam

Chavi (2006)
Elspeth (2010)
Marilyn (2013)

* Cauldron Staff

Host:
Sunflower

Message Board Staff
Board Coordinator:
Darkhawk

Assistant Board Coordinator:
Aster Breo

Senior Staff:
Aisling, Allaya, Jenett, Sefiru

Staff:
Ashmire, EclecticWheel, HarpingHawke, Kylara, PerditaPickle, rocquelaire

Discord Chat Staff
Chat Coordinator:
Morag

'Up All Night' Coordinator:
Altair

Cauldron Council:
Bob, Catja, Chatelaine, Emma-Eldritch, Fausta, Jubes, Kelly, LyricFox, Phouka, Sperran, Star, Steve, Tana

Site Administrator:
Randall

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal