collapse

* "Unable to verify referring url. Please go back and try again" Problem Logging In?

If you get an "Unable to verify referring url. Please go back and try again" error when you try to log in, you need to be sure you are accessing the board with a url that starts with "https://ecauldron.com".  If it starts with https://www.ecauldron.com" (or "http://www.ecauldron.com") you will get this error because "www.ecauldron.com" is not technically the same website as "ecauldron.com". Moving to the more secure "https" means it is more picky about such things.

Author Topic: Justice for All March, December 13  (Read 2770 times)

Aster Breo

  • Senior Staff
  • *
  • Join Date: Jun 2011
  • Posts: 2903
  • Country: 00
  • Total likes: 93
    • View Profile
Justice for All March, December 13
« on: December 12, 2014, 02:04:05 am »
Just wondering if any other Cauldronites are planning to attend the Justice for All March against police brutality, on Saturday in Washington, DC ( http://nationalactionnetwork.net/march-police/).

My family and I are planning to go, at least for the first part.  Unfortunately, we have to work that afternoon, so can't stay for the whole thing. But the gathering point is Freedom Plaza, which is only a couple of blocks from work, so we'll probably be able to stay until 11:30 or so.

Also, any suggestions about what a bunch of white people should and/or shouldn't do at an event like this?

~ Aster
"The status is not quo."  ~ Dr. Horrible

Altair

  • Adept Member
  • ********
  • Join Date: Jul 2011
  • Location: New York, New York
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 3023
  • Country: us
  • Total likes: 395
  • Fly high and make the world follow
    • View Profile
    • Songs of the Metamythos
  • Religion: tree-hugging pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
Re: Justice for All March, December 13
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2014, 07:04:23 am »
Quote from: Aster Breo;167245
Just wondering if any other Cauldronites are planning to attend the Justice for All March against police brutality, on Saturday in Washington, DC ( http://nationalactionnetwork.net/march-police/).

My family and I are planning to go, at least for the first part.  Unfortunately, we have to work that afternoon, so can't stay for the whole thing. But the gathering point is Freedom Plaza, which is only a couple of blocks from work, so we'll probably be able to stay until 11:30 or so.

Also, any suggestions about what a bunch of white people should and/or shouldn't do at an event like this?

~ Aster


I think *all* people are welcome, and anyone who can manage to go should be applauded.

I can't be there, unfortunately. With the crush of the holidays and the short notice (I think it was announced only a week and a day or two ago), I couldn't arrange to get myself down to DC. But I'm anxious to hear how it goes.
The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs

RandallS

  • Site Admin
  • *
  • Join Date: Jun 2011
  • Location: NE Ohio
  • Posts: 10213
  • Country: us
  • Total likes: 270
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
Re: Justice for All March, December 13
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2014, 07:59:18 am »
Quote from: Aster Breo;167245
Just wondering if any other Cauldronites are planning to attend the Justice for All March against police brutality, on Saturday in Washington, DC ( http://nationalactionnetwork.net/march-police/).

Lyric and I wish we were close enough (or rich enough) to go, although with Lyric's back/leg issues her actually participating the march would be hard.

From participating in a number of interracial MLK Day marches in San Antonio when I lived there, I'd say there is no special do/don't do advice other than common sense.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free
OSR.SPACE: Old School Tabletop RPG Community

Aster Breo

  • Senior Staff
  • *
  • Join Date: Jun 2011
  • Posts: 2903
  • Country: 00
  • Total likes: 93
    • View Profile
Re: Justice for All March, December 13
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2014, 01:06:51 pm »
Quote from: Altair;167250
I can't be there, unfortunately. With the crush of the holidays and the short notice (I think it was announced only a week and a day or two ago), I couldn't arrange to get myself down to DC. But I'm anxious to hear how it goes.

I totally understand.  The only reason I can go is that I live in the DC area, and right now I'm actually working just a couple of blocks away from the rally point.  I probably won't be able to do the march itself, unfortunately, because of work.

I'll post a report Saturday night.
"The status is not quo."  ~ Dr. Horrible

Aster Breo

  • Senior Staff
  • *
  • Join Date: Jun 2011
  • Posts: 2903
  • Country: 00
  • Total likes: 93
    • View Profile
Re: Justice for All March, December 13
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2014, 01:09:34 pm »
Quote from: RandallS;167253
From participating in a number of interracial MLK Day marches in San Antonio when I lived there, I'd say there is no special do/don't do advice other than common sense.

Thanks.  My daughter is planning to make "Black Lives Matter" signs. But the kinds of things we're wondering about is participating in "I can't breathe" chants, or the hands-up position, etc.

We want to be good, supportive, and visible allies.  And we wish there was much more we personally could do about this issue.
"The status is not quo."  ~ Dr. Horrible

sailor

  • Grand Master Member
  • *******
  • Join Date: Jul 2011
  • Posts: 1505
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Justice for All March, December 13
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2014, 09:23:17 pm »
Quote from: Aster Breo;167280
Thanks.  My daughter is planning to make "Black Lives Matter" signs. But the kinds of things we're wondering about is participating in "I can't breathe" chants, or the hands-up position, etc.

We want to be good, supportive, and visible allies.  And we wish there was much more we personally could do about this issue.

 
There was / is a twitter post about what white allies shyould be doing.  I found it via a link to twitchy, but I can't access twitter here at sea so I can't see what the actual recommendations are / were. (anybody care to transcribe it?)

http://twitchy.com/2014/12/13/so-much-for-equality-white-allies-shown-list-of-protest-roles-responsibilities/

Aster Breo

  • Senior Staff
  • *
  • Join Date: Jun 2011
  • Posts: 2903
  • Country: 00
  • Total likes: 93
    • View Profile
Re: Justice for All March, December 13
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2014, 11:53:26 pm »
Quote from: sailor;167358
There was / is a twitter post about what white allies shyould be doing.  I found it via a link to twitchy, but I can't access twitter here at sea so I can't see what the actual recommendations are / were.

Thanks, Sailor.  I can't get the link to work on my phone, but will try on the computer when I have a chance. I appreciate the help, though.

Participating in the march today was a pretty powerful experience.  My husband and I were at Freedom Plaza for the rally, but only had time to walk a couple of blocks before we had to go to work. My daughters did the whole march to the Capitol, though.

It was a HUGE crowd. (Organizers are saying there were 25,000 people, but I don't think that's been verified by any official source -- or that it *can* be verified with any real accuracy.) And very diverse. There didn't seem to be any problems with everyone participating in the "hands up -- don't shoot" and "I can't breathe" chants.
I took some pics and videos from the middle of the crowd, but I'm sure there are better shots online.

The ACLU and NAN were giving out various posters, as well as postcard sized cards that listed the activities protestors have the legal right to do. There were also tons of vendors there selling t-shirts, etc.

And lots of media. My daughters were actually interviewed by a German radio station. They were asked why they were at the march, given that they're white. (Their response was basically: because the violence is unacceptable, and everyone should be horrified by it.)

Daughter2 also said she was asked by numerous people for permission to take her picture. We don't know why. Our best guess is that it was because she was a white person carrying a handmade sign saying "Black Lives Matter" (as opposed to a printed sign).

I know my family's participation was a tiny thing, but we're all very glad we did it.  I hope future marches about this issue aren't necessary, but if they are, we will do our best to be there.
"The status is not quo."  ~ Dr. Horrible

Altair

  • Adept Member
  • ********
  • Join Date: Jul 2011
  • Location: New York, New York
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 3023
  • Country: us
  • Total likes: 395
  • Fly high and make the world follow
    • View Profile
    • Songs of the Metamythos
  • Religion: tree-hugging pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
Re: Justice for All March, December 13
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2014, 02:34:59 am »
Quote from: Aster Breo;167371

I know my family's participation was a tiny thing, but we're all very glad we did it.


*Not* tiny. Huge.

Here in NYC, my sister and I joined today's protest march, which was similarly estimated at 25,000 people; because of all the folks like you and your family, Aster, who turned out (it was a remarkably diverse crowd), it was a huge march--they say it's the biggest here since the city was rocked by the news that the grand jury wasn't going to indict in the death of Eric Garner.

There were some powerful moments, like when we were marching up Sixth Avenue among all the cast iron buildings, and the chants of the crowd were amplified by the canyon-like effect... at another point, some women behind us starting singing a simple protest song, and a bunch of us took it up in harmony; the beauty of that sound seemed to challenge the ugliness of events more pointedly than any chant we could devise.

I peeled off after walking most of the route, to go see Chris Rock's new movie, and bumped into sign-carrying ladies who had done the same thing. We'd missed our show by 20 minutes, and we had over an hour to kill until the next one. "Come grab a drink with us!" one of them insisted, and by the time we'd finished drinks and swapping our challenging racial experiences and talking possible remedies and watching the movie (which I recommend), these total strangers were trying to set me up with their gay friend (who's super hot--they showed me his photo on their smartphones--but being married, I had to decline. Dammit.)

It was a really great march.
The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs

Darkhawk

  • Senior Staff
  • *
  • Join Date: Jun 2011
  • Posts: 4943
  • Country: us
  • Total likes: 846
    • View Profile
    • Suns in her Branches
  • Religion: An American Werewolf in the Akhet; Kemetic; Feri; Imaginary Baltic Heathen; Discordian; CoX; Etc.
  • Preferred Pronouns: any of he, she, they
Re: Justice for All March, December 13
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2014, 11:30:06 am »
Quote from: Aster Breo;167371
It was a HUGE crowd. (Organizers are saying there were 25,000 people, but I don't think that's been verified by any official source -- or that it *can* be verified with any real accuracy.) And very diverse. There didn't seem to be any problems with everyone participating in the "hands up -- don't shoot" and "I can't breathe" chants.
I took some pics and videos from the middle of the crowd, but I'm sure there are better shots online.

 
My father's wife was there with her coworkers from Howard.  She posted a photo to FB, but it was basically 'the crowd is blocking out the light!' level of crowdphoto-taken-by-short-person.
as the water grinds the stone
we rise and fall
as our ashes turn to dust
we shine like stars    - Covenant, "Bullet"

Gilbride

  • Sr. Master Member
  • *******
  • Join Date: Sep 2012
  • Posts: 597
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Justice for All March, December 13
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2014, 09:35:43 pm »
Quote from: Altair;167377
Here in NYC, my sister and I joined today's protest march, which was similarly estimated at 25,000 people...It was a really great march.


Nothing feels like solidarity. :)

Tags:
 

Related Topics

  Subject / Started by Replies Last post
8 Replies
1833 Views
Last post October 03, 2013, 02:33:15 am
by Faemon
0 Replies
884 Views
Last post January 13, 2014, 02:36:13 pm
by candlemagic
15 Replies
5363 Views
Last post July 24, 2014, 06:54:26 pm
by carillion
5 Replies
1460 Views
Last post October 22, 2014, 06:19:09 am
by Tom
414 Replies
26082 Views
Last post March 13, 2015, 05:01:30 pm
by sailor

* Who's Online

  • Dot Guests: 44
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Please Donate!

The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.

* Shop & Support TC

The links below are affiliate links. When you click on one of these links you will go to the listed shopping site with The Cauldron's affiliate code. Any purchases you make during your visit will earn TC a tiny percentage of your purchase price at no extra cost to you.

* In Memoriam

Chavi (2006)
Elspeth (2010)
Marilyn (2013)

* Cauldron Staff

Host:
Sunflower

Message Board Staff
Board Coordinator:
Darkhawk

Assistant Board Coordinator:
Aster Breo

Senior Staff:
Aisling, Jenett, Sefiru

Staff:
Allaya, Chatelaine, EclecticWheel, HarpingHawke, Kylara, PerditaPickle, rocquelaire

Discord Chat Staff
Chat Coordinator:
Morag

Cauldron Council:
Bob, Catja, Emma-Eldritch, Fausta, Jubes, Kelly, LyricFox, Phouka, Sperran, Star, Steve, Tana

Site Administrator:
Randall