collapse

* Recent Posts

Author Topic: The one thing you can't stand  (Read 6020 times)

Jainarayan

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
Re: The one thing you can't stand
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2018, 10:40:35 am »
Interesting, my approach to reducing waste is almost the opposite: I try to limit what I buy in the first place, especially when it comes to food. I suppose it helps that I do my grocery shopping on foot, so there's incentive not to bring too much home!

That's a great start. I like that. :)  After while you do learn when you're buying and cooking too much.

MadZealot

• Adept Member
  • Eye yam tu papi.
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Founder of the Church of No Pants.
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2018, 12:25:10 pm »
I fight it in myself by acknowledging that nobody, myself included, has all the answers. Especially when it comes to religion.

I like this; it pairs well with, "I don't know what's best for everybody."
You have my sword
And my shield
And my... um... slacks.

Yei

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Mexica Reconstructionism
  • Preferred Pronouns: He/Him/His
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2018, 06:22:13 pm »
We've had a few discussions here about what our core principles or virtues are, so let's talk about the opposite side.

What concepts do you seek to avoid as much as possible? What do you consider to be forbidden? (taboo, anathema, sin, etc?)

For me, that one thing is waste. Of time, energy, resources, human potential, animal or plant life, or anything else. There's no great thought process behind this, it's mostly the way I was raised.

Speaking purely about religion, the thing that annoys me is when people make huge sweeping statements about religion, when all they know is Christianity, and they are just assuming that all religion's are the same.

For example, some people think that 'religion' was created by governments to control people, which isn't even true for Christianity.

Uneryx

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
  • Religion: it's eclectic (woogie woogie woogie)
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2018, 07:15:48 pm »
Speaking purely about religion, the thing that annoys me is when people make huge sweeping statements about religion, when all they know is Christianity, and they are just assuming that all religion's are the same.

For example, some people think that 'religion' was created by governments to control people, which isn't even true for Christianity.

Ugh, yes.

This one ties into arrogance/ignorance for me.

Sefiru

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2018, 06:06:36 pm »

Yeah, I've heard this one before. It kind of goes along with a pet peeve I mentioned over on the video game thread, of people who try to find pragmatic explanations for any kind of religious practice.

Further question for the thread: does your personal Thing You Can't Stand tie into your religious practice at all?

Mine does tangentially, as avoiding waste is a way of upholding Ma'at.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Me on AO3 & Deviantart

Noctua

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Blue Star Wicca
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2018, 09:02:23 pm »

Further question for the thread: does your personal Thing You Can't Stand tie into your religious practice at all?

Considering the deity I'm currently working with most is Minerva, I'd say that rectifying my own ignorance is probably a pretty important part of working with her. So yeah.

Sefiru

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2018, 06:27:08 pm »
Considering the deity I'm currently working with most is Minerva, I'd say that rectifying my own ignorance is probably a pretty important part of working with her. So yeah.

Is it strange that the first image that popped into my mind was Minerva McGonagall?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Me on AO3 & Deviantart

Noctua

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Blue Star Wicca
« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2018, 08:32:40 pm »
Is it strange that the first image that popped into my mind was Minerva McGonagall?

Well I feel like she'd be pretty against willful ignorance too so it's not that far off the mark.

arete

• Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
  • Religion: pagan
« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2018, 01:02:33 pm »
What concepts do you seek to avoid as much as possible? What do you consider to be forbidden? (taboo, anathema, sin, etc?)
Torture. It's the most vile act. Also murder. The list is kind of big actually.

EclecticWheel

• Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Christo-Eclectic
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2018, 02:35:09 pm »

Mine is related to this.  I see people making statements that all religion is X (such as highly dogmatic or homophobic) and therefore all religion should burn to the ground.  And I'll counter them with various examples of non-Christian religions that don't have such characteristics.

Sometimes I'll point out alternative versions of Christianity and Christian theology, too, and they just don't care.  They continue to stand by their ignorance and bigotry all the while holding religion in general in contempt for real or perceived bigotry and ignorance.
My personal moral code:

Love wisely, and do what thou wilt.

Tags: