collapse
2020 Donation Drive IS NOW COMPLETE!

It's time for our annual Server Donation Drive! We need to raise at least $710 to keep The Cauldron's server online for another year. Please help! Either hit that Paypal button to the right and make a one-time donation in any amount or set up a monthly Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor subscription. You can find more info in this message!

Donations as of 02 December 2020: $710 donated. Only $0 more needed! Thank you, donors!


Note: This total is updated manually, usually once a day


* Recent Posts

Author Topic: Automatic Writing  (Read 1685 times)

Lonstar

  • Apprentice
  • ***
  • Join Date: Sep 2011
  • Posts: 36
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Automatic Writing
« on: September 12, 2011, 05:07:57 pm »
Does anyone here have any experience with automatic writing? It's something that I've engaged in on and off over the years on an irregular basis. I've never really 'developed' the process as I'm not sure I'm particularly comfortable with the process of anything 'guiding' my hand other than myself. I do get 'tingles' or a strange sensation in my hand and cracked as it sounds, I just know it's something that wants to write, but more often than not I just ignore it and it goes away.

Where I have engaged with it in the past, more often than not I get answers to questions about the spirits past etc (e.g. name, place of address, year born, phone number!) but none so far that I've been able to verify from a historical perspective. Which is frustrating to say the least.

I'm aware of explanations for automatic writing that discount the possibility of any type of spirit explanation, such as the ideomotor effect. What do people here feel? That automatic writing is genuine or some non-conscious process that occurs but which is not the result of spirits? Personally, I'm debating whether to give the process more time and attempt to develop it further.

Livia Indica

  • Sr. Apprentice
  • ****
  • Join Date: Aug 2011
  • Posts: 61
  • Total likes: 1
    • View Profile
Re: Automatic Writing
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2011, 02:57:48 pm »
Quote from: Lonstar;19374
Does anyone here have any experience with automatic writing? It's something that I've engaged in on and off over the years on an irregular basis. I've never really 'developed' the process as I'm not sure I'm particularly comfortable with the process of anything 'guiding' my hand other than myself. I do get 'tingles' or a strange sensation in my hand and cracked as it sounds, I just know it's something that wants to write, but more often than not I just ignore it and it goes away.

Where I have engaged with it in the past, more often than not I get answers to questions about the spirits past etc (e.g. name, place of address, year born, phone number!) but none so far that I've been able to verify from a historical perspective. Which is frustrating to say the least.

I'm aware of explanations for automatic writing that discount the possibility of any type of spirit explanation, such as the ideomotor effect. What do people here feel? That automatic writing is genuine or some non-conscious process that occurs but which is not the result of spirits? Personally, I'm debating whether to give the process more time and attempt to develop it further.

 
I tend to think it's a little of both and useful either way. If you're just "talking to yourself" you could still learn a lot about your subconscious, etc.  I think I tend to fall on the side of it being a genuine thing sometimes too though. I've even tried it since my brother died in January, with no results, but there's also a fear there that could be stopping the process. Tell us more about your experiences, I'm curious to learn about them.

hufflee

  • Journeyman
  • *****
  • Join Date: Aug 2011
  • Posts: 203
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Automatic Writing
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2011, 05:08:57 pm »
Quote from: Lonstar;19374

I'm aware of explanations for automatic writing that discount the possibility of any type of spirit explanation, such as the ideomotor effect. What do people here feel? That automatic writing is genuine or some non-conscious process that occurs but which is not the result of spirits? Personally, I'm debating whether to give the process more time and attempt to develop it further.


Well........        

 Do you believe in spirits/ghosts? If so, do you think that they can manipulate physical objects? (slam a door etc....which I personally do believe.) If so, then it's not so much of a stretch to think that one could guide a hand to write if they wanted to. Although they could conceivably have more trouble manipulating part of a living being rather than inanimate object.

Having said all of this, I have no firm opinion either way. It hasn't happened to me or anybody I know personally. Do I think it has some merit? Sure I do. But until I see some proof (which might be hard to come by) I'll have a bit of difficulty advocating it as absolute truth.

........and I'm sure this helps you tons. :rolleye::
When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change - Unknown
"This [the Irish] is one race of people for whom psychoanalysis is of no use whatsoever."
Sigmund Freud (My Irish heart is laughing)

Lonstar

  • Apprentice
  • ***
  • Join Date: Sep 2011
  • Posts: 36
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Automatic Writing
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2011, 07:58:29 pm »
Quote from: Livia Indica;19644
Tell us more about your experiences, I'm curious to learn about them.


Good point about talking to myself!

Generally, I suppose it started when I was 14 or 15. The pen just started moving and a lot of gobblydgood was written. Intermittently I'd try it again and again - not often, maybe twice a year or so. But over the last two years I've tried it more regularly. 'It' always writes something. It's not a case where sometimes nothing writes and other times it does - it is always a success from the point of view that there's something written on the page.

I've never tried to call a specific person to write or anything. I just get a tingling sensation and I put pen to paper, loosely holding the pen and I blank my mind. I'm not in a trance or anything, I'm fully aware of what's happening and what's going on around me. I've thought about calling on someone specific to write but I don't know why I've never actually gone ahead and done so.
What bothers me is that everytime I do it, I ask the 'spririt' for something verifiable - like a date of birth or phone number (I know, sounds stoopid!), an address, relative or some bit of data that I could not possibly know. Although I get answers, it has failed me to verify anything - presumably because addresses from the 12th centure for example aren't stored on Google's servers :p

I'd love to know if anybody ever had any success with verifying something via automatic writing. Maybe I should try an expirement where a third party hides an object somewhere and the 'spirit' must then pinpoint its location. That would be (IMO) a startling result!

 
Quote from: hufflee;19690
Well........        

 Do you believe in spirits/ghosts? If so, do you think that they can manipulate physical objects? (slam a door etc....which I personally do believe.) If so, then it's not so much of a stretch to think that one could guide a hand to write if they wanted to. Although they could conceivably have more trouble manipulating part of a living being rather than inanimate object.

Yes I do and I do think that they can guide my hand if I allow them to. Where I get a sensation that its not something good guiding my hand I quickly banish the presence from my location and allow something else an opportunity to write!
Quote from: hufflee;19690

Having said all of this, I have no firm opinion either way. It hasn't happened to me or anybody I know personally. Do I think it has some merit? Sure I do. But until I see some proof (which might be hard to come by) I'll have a bit of difficulty advocating it as absolute truth.

........and I'm sure this helps you tons. :rolleye::

That's my problem. I'm at odds with what I believe and what I can prove (if only to myself) to be true.

hufflee

  • Journeyman
  • *****
  • Join Date: Aug 2011
  • Posts: 203
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Automatic Writing
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2011, 02:30:58 am »
Quote from: Lonstar;19746

That's my problem. I'm at odds with what I believe and what I can prove (if only to myself) to be true.

 
In that case I'd say go with your gut. If you find out at some point that you were wrong, well then you finally know!
When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change - Unknown
"This [the Irish] is one race of people for whom psychoanalysis is of no use whatsoever."
Sigmund Freud (My Irish heart is laughing)

Tags:
 

Related Topics

  Subject / Started by Replies Last post
3 Replies
1559 Views
Last post August 11, 2011, 08:06:22 am
by RandallS
3 Replies
1565 Views
Last post November 21, 2011, 05:07:15 pm
by Lonstar
4 Replies
1294 Views
Last post June 11, 2012, 08:01:25 am
by Stardancer
2 Replies
991 Views
Last post January 20, 2013, 11:05:28 am
by Aster Breo
30 Replies
3058 Views
Last post January 25, 2013, 07:31:11 pm
by Morag

* Who's Online

  • Dot Guests: 46
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Please Donate!

The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.

* Shop & Support TC

The links below are affiliate links. When you click on one of these links you will go to the listed shopping site with The Cauldron's affiliate code. Any purchases you make during your visit will earn TC a tiny percentage of your purchase price at no extra cost to you.

* In Memoriam

Chavi (2006)
Elspeth (2010)
Marilyn (2013)

* Cauldron Staff

Host:
Sunflower

Message Board Staff
Board Coordinator:
Darkhawk

Assistant Board Coordinator:
Aster Breo

Senior Staff:
Aisling, Jenett, Sefiru

Staff:
Allaya, Chatelaine, EclecticWheel, HarpingHawke, Kylara, PerditaPickle, rocquelaire

Discord Chat Staff
Chat Coordinator:
Morag

Cauldron Council:
Bob, Catja, Emma-Eldritch, Fausta, Jubes, Kelly, LyricFox, Phouka, Sperran, Star, Steve, Tana

Site Administrator:
Randall

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal