collapse

* Recent Posts

Author Topic: Do the deities you follow care about you at all, and if so, why?  (Read 3636 times)

Jezebel

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
Re: Do the deities you follow care about you at all, and if so, why?
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2012, 01:16:34 pm »
Quote from: Maps;76995
It depends on the deity, it depends on the pantheon, it depends on the follower.

Deity and pantheon: From my experience, gods of impersonal things like natural phenomena or of societal structures and institutions, aren't going to care about your personal struggles because it's not their job to. However, a deity of love will probably be more inclined to care about your dating life, a muse-type to care about your writer's block, and so on. I think others are definitely capable and willing to lend support and inspiration for lots of other kinds of things, though: strength, patience, confidence, self-love.

I agree with this. Poseidon might not give a flip about me as I am now, but if I were a sailor or someone who was connected closely to the sea then that might be different.

A lot of the Greek gods had more personal household epithets, i.e Zeus, Hermes, Apollo, Hekate etc which could have been the ancients' way of trying to find a more personal connection with otherwise distant divinities. You wouldn't exactly call on Zeus Sosipolis (City-Saviour) for relationship advise and expect him to care over much.

Tags:

Related Topics

Subject / Started by Replies Last post
12 Replies
Last post August 27, 2011, 02:25:08 pm
by addy
14 Replies
Last post December 25, 2011, 05:50:16 pm
by dragonfaerie
35 Replies
Last post February 01, 2013, 04:32:01 pm
by Vale
6 Replies
Last post September 12, 2013, 07:19:09 pm
by RandallS
7 Replies
Last post October 25, 2015, 06:28:23 pm
by LunaStar

Beginner Area

Warning: You are currently in a Beginner Friendly area of the message board.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 160
  • Dot Hidden: 1
  • Dot Users: 1

There aren't any users online.

* Please Donate!

The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.

* Shop & Support TC

The links below are affiliate links. When you click on one of these links you will go to the listed shopping site with The Cauldron's affiliate code. Any purchases you make during your visit will earn TC a tiny percentage of your purchase price at no extra cost to you.

* In Memoriam

Chavi (2006)
Elspeth (2010)
Marilyn (2013)

* Cauldron Staff

Host:
Sunflower

Message Board Staff
Board Coordinator:
Darkhawk

Assistant Board Coordinator:
Aster Breo

Senior Staff:
Aisling, Allaya, Jenett, Sefiru

Staff:
Ashmire, EclecticWheel, HarpingHawke, Kylara, PerditaPickle, rocquelaire

Discord Chat Staff
Chat Coordinator:
Morag

'Up All Night' Coordinator:
Altair

Cauldron Council:
Bob, Catja, Chatelaine, Emma-Eldritch, Fausta, Jubes, Kelly, LyricFox, Phouka, Sperran, Star, Steve, Tana

Site Administrator:
Randall

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal