collapse

* Recent Posts

Author Topic: Casting a circle. Need some guidance!  (Read 1213 times)

Alits

• View Profile
  • Religion: Unknown
  • Preferred Pronouns: She/Her
Casting a circle. Need some guidance!
« on: July 19, 2018, 03:35:09 pm »
So, I'd like to start doing small rituals, be it candle work, or kitchen Witchery with my teas. I'd love to cast a circle around me, but my space in front of my alter is small (thanks nyc) and cluttered and up against a wall. My kitchen is surprisingly large, but to make tea, at least my my case, I need to utilize a bit of space, especially on my counters and stove.

How does one cast a circle with odd obstacles in the way like cabinets, countertops, stoves.... Beds?

The way I learned to cast a circle was to draw with your wand or pointed object a circle clockwise, starting in the east, and not taking the point of the object off the floor until its connected. Are there other ways to cast a circle?

Thanks! Any guidance is so appreciated!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Jenett

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Seeking: First steps on a path
  • Religion: Initiatory religious witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
Re: Casting a circle. Need some guidance!
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2018, 04:47:40 pm »
How does one cast a circle with odd obstacles in the way like cabinets, countertops, stoves.... Beds?

The way I learned to cast a circle was to draw with your wand or pointed object a circle clockwise, starting in the east, and not taking the point of the object off the floor until its connected. Are there other ways to cast a circle?

There are indeed. The way I cast is to inscribe a circle (the complete process is beyond what I can describe online, for multiple reasons), and then push the edges of the circle to the walls, to allow for easy movement. For rituals where I don't need to move much, that might be an oval of my bedroom (where my altar is), for longer rituals, it may be pushed out to include my entire apartment. (And be very much not circle shaped, or a dome, since there are people living on the floor above me.)

One other thing to think about is why you're using a circle in the first place: I've got an article on my website that outlines a wide range of options. Depending on your goals, you may find that banishing unwanted energy, blessing your space with your desired energy, and maybe lighting a candle or creating a hearth, before doing your magical or ritual work may be what you want/find useful, rather than a full magical circle construction.

In addition to the two books mentioned on that page, you might also find the Ivo Dominguez book Casting Sacred Space to be of help - he's got a bunch of approaches in there that are not just about casting circle.
Seek Knowledge, Find Wisdom: Research help on esoteric and eclectic topics (consulting and other services)

Seeking: first steps on a Pagan path (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism)

Sefiru

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2018, 06:59:23 pm »

We had a thread on a similar topic recently, you might find some useful information there.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Me on AO3 & Deviantart

Kylara

• Staff
    • View Profile
    • https://www.patreon.com/kyndryana
  • Religion: Norse Fusion Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2018, 02:35:50 pm »
There are indeed. The way I cast is to inscribe a circle (the complete process is beyond what I can describe online, for multiple reasons), and then push the edges of the circle to the walls, to allow for easy movement. For rituals where I don't need to move much, that might be an oval of my bedroom (where my altar is), for longer rituals, it may be pushed out to include my entire apartment. (And be very much not circle shaped, or a dome, since there are people living on the floor above me.)

I've done this.  I also don't feel like I need to 'draw' a perfect circle when I cast, so if my room is rectangular, I can cast an oval.  Plus, I feel like energy and physical stuff don't always interact, so I can cast my circle through stuff.  I often cast circle in my bedroom, which has bookshelves, dressers and other things around the walls.  Plus the bed.  There is no way to draw a circle any bigger than about two feet diameter unless I treat the room as if the stuff in it wasn't there.  I stand (off-center) at the foot of my bed, and I point with my tool (or finger, depending), and I draw a circle that is centered in the room.  I see my circle as existing, where I want it to, even though that might mean it shares space with furniture in different places.  It works for me.
Check out my Patreon for more writing and other goodies!

TheGreenWizard

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2018, 01:48:52 pm »
So, I'd like to start doing small rituals, be it candle work, or kitchen Witchery with my teas. I'd love to cast a circle around me, but my space in front of my alter is small (thanks nyc) and cluttered and up against a wall. My kitchen is surprisingly large, but to make tea, at least my my case, I need to utilize a bit of space, especially on my counters and stove.

Altis welcome to the Cauldron!

I also live in NYC and I understand your struggle mightily. As Jenett stated, there are ways to cast a circle or sacred space so that it works for your needs. For me, when I'm at my altar/shrine, I have a circular carpet (a Death Star rug  ;D) that I use as a basis for the circle. However, when I do work for teas - like you're doing - I simply focus on my intent and work with the spirit of the plants in the tea to bring out their uses along with the Elemental Spirits - if that makes sense.
“You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. You're on your own. And you know what you know. And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go...”
― Dr. Seuss, Oh, the Places You'll Go

Micheál

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Alexandrian Wicca, Gaelic Polytheism
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2018, 03:50:06 pm »

Some people like to mark visual boundaries of the circle, say with chalk on the floor, etc, but it's cast in the usual western mystery sense, and covers wherever you visualise it to be. For ex. You can cast it where you stand(a lot of people do that with the LBRP), and imagine it penetrating the objects in your way. Our coven for example 'pushes' the circle larger to cover the table or area that we have cakes&wine at when the time comes, and 'pulls' it back to banish.

Its shape can be described as an 'egg,' that also covers the area above and below you, so it already surpasses the physical boundaries of the ground that you stand on.

Oh the joys of modern living!
Semper Fidelis

Tags:

Beginner Area

Warning: You are currently in a Beginner Friendly area of the message board.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 163
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Please Donate!

The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.

* Shop & Support TC

The links below are affiliate links. When you click on one of these links you will go to the listed shopping site with The Cauldron's affiliate code. Any purchases you make during your visit will earn TC a tiny percentage of your purchase price at no extra cost to you.

* In Memoriam

Chavi (2006)
Elspeth (2010)
Marilyn (2013)

* Cauldron Staff

Host:
Sunflower

Message Board Staff
Board Coordinator:
Darkhawk

Assistant Board Coordinator:
Aster Breo

Senior Staff:
Aisling, Allaya, Jenett, Sefiru

Staff:
Ashmire, EclecticWheel, HarpingHawke, Kylara, PerditaPickle, rocquelaire

Discord Chat Staff
Chat Coordinator:
Morag

'Up All Night' Coordinator:
Altair

Cauldron Council:
Bob, Catja, Chatelaine, Emma-Eldritch, Fausta, Jubes, Kelly, LyricFox, Phouka, Sperran, Star, Steve, Tana

Site Administrator:
Randall

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal