Re: A Tribute to my Great Grandmother by EclecticWheel
[Today at 12:52:23 am]

Energy Concepts by EclecticWheel
[Today at 12:26:19 am]

A Tribute to my Great Grandmother by EclecticWheel
[June 13, 2024, 11:16:55 pm]

Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[June 13, 2024, 09:25:30 pm]

Author Topic: Your Color  (Read 848 times)

Altair

• Staff
  • Fly high and make the world follow
    • View Profile
    • Songs of the Metamythos
  • Religion: tree-hugging pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
Your Color
« on: May 16, 2024, 07:29:16 am »
It occurs to me that we may not have ever had this discussion before:

Do you identify with any particular color?
Which one and why?
Does it have any spiritual significance?

For me: Blue.

Ever since I was a kid, I've been drawn to it. To me its status as a primary color represents stability, without the violence/extremes of passion of red or the purity of white, neither of which is me. Something about it--maybe from the expression "true blue"--always says loyalty to me: being a good friend, staying true to what one believes. And of course, on some level the color just appeals to me esthetically.

I've never associated it with sadness.

It definitely has spiritual significance for me, but don't ask me to explain it. Somehow it's part of the mental map that connects me to the world, which is what my paganism is about. I'm very east/air-oriented, and for me the color of that element is yellow, so it doesn't track...but then again, the sky is blue, so. (Although my blue is not a sky blue nor for that matter a navy blue, but more of a royal blue.)
The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs

atr

• Sr. Apprentice
  • May the Spirits be with you!
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Sylvydism - "a belief in the wisdom of the forest"
  • Preferred Pronouns: He / Him
Re: Your Color
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2024, 11:36:29 am »

Which one and why?

Everyone here probably already knows this, but for me, it's red.

"atr" is short for "Alexander the Red". That is my magic / pen name, chosen to honor the Deity represented by Mars in my UPG.

This Deities messenger is the red fox. It's element is fire, and it represents growth, agriculture, tactics, cleverness, luck, knowledge and philosophy, all things I could use help with  :D

As far as elements go, I'm actually more of an Earth person. But fire is a good compliment so it works.

Eastling

• Sr. Master Member
  • Love and be free.
    • View Profile
    • Bijou Fortune
  • Religion: Modern Dionysian hero cultus and heretical Judaism
  • Preferred Pronouns: He/him/his
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2024, 11:49:22 am »

I've had a number of color associations over the years; I don't know that I'd say there's a single color that is mine at this point.

Which one and why?

When I was young, I strongly preferred blue because it brought out my eyes when I wore it; most of my wardrobe was blue. After reading Sandman as a teenager I went through a goth phase, and then my wardrobe was black. In my mid-twenties, I obsessed over a character from a Japanese media franchise whose image color was red, and I spent some time associating myself with red, especially online and in fandom.

It's a bit complicated these days. My patron divinity--the immortal spirit of Freddie Mercury--favors bright sunny yellow as he did in life. He had the coloration (very dark hair and eyes, olive-brown complexion) to pull it off gorgeously. My hair is auburn/ginger and my skintone is very pink so it's not a great look on me. Therefore my most spiritually significant color is no longer really one I wear (except sometimes as an accent) or associate with myself specifically. I wear and associate a whole riot of colors with myself now because that's glam, baby. Speaking of...

If I wanted to (why not?), I could say that my predilection for shimmer and sparkle these days honors my Powers' persistent connection to the shining stars. I do still low-key associate myself with blue as well (again, still have blue eyes), and it doesn't hurt that blue also has obvious celestial associations.
"The peacock can show its whole tail at once, but I can only tell you a story."
--JAMES ALAN GARDNER
BIJOU FORTUNE: Tarot Readings & Crystal Wisdom (home of the Spirit Support Line)

Ashmire

• Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic, featuring mainly East Asian and Egyptian plus pop-cultural influences
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2024, 12:07:46 pm »

Which one and why?

I think I most associate myself with emerald green now, or with iridescence rather than color per se, but I'm very drawn to jewel tones in general, and cooler tones in particular.
However, most of the gods and spirits I work with tend to associate with red and gold particularly, so those are pretty prominent for spiritual reasons.

As a child I was obsessively fond of blue, and while I still like it and, as I said, prefer cool tones in general, I suspect some of that could have been because as an AFAB child I was heavily pressured to like pink, which my sensitive autistic system found glaring to the point of nausea from the beginning ( I actually was visibly upset by the expected pink blanket even as a newborn!), so I clung hard to the 'forbidden' opposite.

That said, I do still consider Ultramarine Blue in particular a favorite, and it does, I believe, have some strong spiritual associations in Kemetic belief.

MadZealot

• Adept Member
  • Eye yam tu papi.
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Founder of the Church of No Pants.
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2024, 01:27:57 pm »

Ever since I was a kid, I've been drawn to it. To me its status as a primary color represents stability, without the violence/extremes of passion of red or the purity of white, neither of which is me. Something about it--maybe from the expression "true blue"--always says loyalty to me: being a good friend, staying true to what one believes. And of course, on some level the color just appeals to me esthetically.
 (Although my blue is not a sky blue nor for that matter a navy blue, but more of a royal blue.)

See also: Spock's shirt.  8)
You have my sword
And my shield
And my... um... slacks.

MadZealot

• Adept Member
  • Eye yam tu papi.
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Founder of the Church of No Pants.
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2024, 01:51:59 pm »
Yep.

Which one
Black.

and why?

Because it's slimming.

Long as I remember, I've had a mostly black (with a lil grey) wardrobe. Makes matching easier.

Dunno if this counts, but lately I've been mixing a little purple in there, usually in the form of a tee under the usual black work-shirt (with the top left unbuttoned for a flash of color.)

As to the 'why,' it's kinda funny. The last couple of years, the family has been big on going to Knott's theme park, where the predominant color is purple. (It's a "Berry Farm," boysenberries in particular.) So I started wearing purple on our trips for funsies.

I now have four purple tees and a matching phone case. The other day, FB gave me an ad for purple Docs. So.

As to 'is there any spiritual meaning,' the answer is... probably, I've just never really thought on it. But if I associate it with park trips, I associate it with being outside, which means Nature... and good food, and family, all rolled up with my constantly reminding myself to be grateful for the life I've been allowed to live. In pagan-y terms, I tend to favor the Harvestide part of the Wheel, which celebrates all that stuff as well.

No purple panties, tho. One must draw a line
You have my sword
And my shield
And my... um... slacks.

Sefiru

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2024, 06:24:16 pm »
Which one and why?

I had to think about this; half of everything I own is some shade of teal but I didn't really link it to my identity, until I realized that when I imagine having a coat-of-arms or a lightsaber, those are also teal (well, teal and blue for the arms  :P ).

I don't think there's any spiritual angle to it, but maye that wil also change, who knows?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Me on AO3 & Deviantart

PerditaPickle

• Staff
  • It's all metta - at least, I believe it should be
    • View Profile
    • Portrait of Perpetual Perplexity
  • Religion: Druid-ish
  • Preferred Pronouns: She/her/hers
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2024, 08:13:37 am »

Which one and why?

For me: Blue.

Blue over here as well, and similarly since I was quite a young kid.  It sounds as though it's almost the same -or similar- shade of blue as yours, too - my favourite is that deep cobalt/Bristol blue you get in glassware (the deeper the blue the better, almost bordering in indigo).

I never really thought about whether it had a spiritual significance, but I think you could argue that it does.  I find it deeply meditative and calming.  Much like yourself, I don't associate blue with sadness, on the contrary my favourite shade is a pretty joyful colour to me.
“Radiate boundless love towards the entire world — above, below, and across — unhindered, without ill will, without enmity.” – The Buddha
(From the Metta Sutta)

My Portrait of Perpetual Perplexity blog

Tags: