collapse

* Recent Posts

Author Topic: Books: Marvel new Thor a woman.  (Read 6616 times)

mlr52

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.GIN.michaellrichardson.com
Marvel new Thor a woman.
« on: July 16, 2014, 05:00:02 am »
Marvels new Thor is a Woman

Thor is now a woman
Published July 15, 2014FoxNews.com

Image http://a57.foxnews.com/global.fncstatic.com/static/managed/img/Entertainment/876/493/thor%20woman%20marvel%20660.jpg?ve=1&tl=1

Marvel
Thor’s not a guy anymore.

Thor’s a gal.

Marvel Comics announced that their male hero of yore was no longer worthy to hold the mighty hammer Mjölnir.

(Bear with us.)

"The inscription on Thor’s hammer reads ‘Whosoever holds this hammer, if HE be worthy, shall possess the power of Thor.’ Well it’s time to update that inscription," said Marvel editor Wil Moss in a statement. "The new Thor continues Marvel’s proud tradition of strong female characters like Captain Marvel, Storm, Black Widow and more. And this new Thor isn’t a temporary female substitute – she’s now the one and only Thor, and she is worthy!"

Wait, there’s more.

"This is not She-Thor. This is not Lady Thor. This is not Thorita. This is THOR,” said writer Jason Aaron. “This is the THOR of the Marvel Universe. But it’s unlike any Thor we’ve ever seen before."

Thor will be Marvel’s eighth comic featuring a female in its leading role, which the publisher says “aims to speak directly to an audience that long was not the target for Super Hero comic books in America: women and girls.”

So watch your back, Captain America.

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2014/07/15/thor-is-now-woman/
« Last Edit: May 07, 2019, 11:27:29 am by RandallS »
Light Your Candle, In Love and Service, Blessed Be.
I am a Notary Public for The State of New York, - I do not charge for Notary Fee\'s, I Live in Brooklyn, N.Y.

Jack

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • Skyhold
  • Religion: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/he
Re: Marvel new Thor a woman.
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2014, 05:22:14 am »
Quote from: mlr52;153044

Hail Mara, Lady of Good Things!
"The only way to cope with something deadly serious is to try to treat it a little lightly." -Madeleine L'Engle

Sage

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://sageandstarshine.wordpress.com
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2014, 08:11:13 am »
Quote from: Jack;153045

I'd follow woman Thor into battle.
Maker, though the darkness comes upon me,
I shall embrace the light. I shall weather the storm.
I shall endure.
What you have created, no one can tear asunder.

-Canticle of Trials 1:10

Sage and Starshine (my spiritual blog): last updated 2/25.
Friday Otherfaith Blogging: last updated 2/27
Join the Emboatening Crew over on Kiva! Emboatening the boatless since Opet 2013.

Altair

• Staff
  • Fly high and make the world follow
    • View Profile
    • Songs of the Metamythos
  • Religion: tree-hugging pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2014, 11:32:27 am »

Thor is now a woman

I have a problem with this, and I don't.

On the one hand, Thor is a male name (and still very much in use in, say, Iceland), so it's kind of jarring--akin to having a guy assume the role of Jane in Tarzan and still calling him Jane. Having a woman assume the name and mantle of Captain Marvel doesn't carry that same mental dissonance.

Second, Thor is drawn from a historical deity who is unambiguously male. So that's quite a liberty to take.

But to that second point, the Thor of Marvel is so far removed from mythology's Thor that I'm not sure it matters. And to the first, a little gender-bending dissonance is probably a good thing.

And I think the impulse to update/reinvent comic book characters (many of the marqee ones date back to the 1930s or so) to make them more inclusive and reflective of our society today is generally a good one, when the updating/reinvention is done thoughtfully.

But what I really want to know is: If she fights Storm, who would win??
The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs

Altair

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2014, 11:37:47 am »

I'm also surprised by the move from a strictly commercial standpoint, since Marvel Studios is currently minting money making movies featuring Thor, as played by the deliciously ubermale Chris Hemsworth. And usually when that happens, the comics try to align with the movies, at least on major elements of the character.
The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs

Sage

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2014, 11:51:23 am »
Quote from: Altair;153070

But what I really want to know is: If she fights Storm, who would win??

So in one of the DC/Marvel crossovers back in the 90s that birthed the Amalgam universe, Wonder Woman and Storm went toe to toe and Storm lost (barely). Considering that Wonder Woman is supposed to be god-leveled powers and Storm is 'just' a super powerful mutant and Storm lost to WW (barely) and further assuming there's a correlation between sort-of-a-god WW and sort-of-a-god Thor, I would imagine it'd come down to the wire but Thor would end up winning. Barely.

As much as it pains me to say it because Storm is easily one of my favorite comic book characters ever.
I shall endure.

Join the Emboatening Crew over on Kiva! Emboatening the boatless since Opet 2013.

Altair

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2014, 12:12:33 pm »
Quote from: Sage;153072

As much as it pains me to say it because Storm is easily one of my favorite comic book characters ever.

Same here. Long ago I admitted in this very forum that I have a Storm action figure as a goddess icon. Yes, it's true!

And I agree with your analysis. Marvel has essentially said as much; current (male) Thor manipulates weather through mystical means and can generate whatever weather effects he wants without much effort; we can assume female Thor will do the same. Storm, on the other hand, works her mojo by mentally manipulating atmospheric energy patterns--working within the natural system, in other words--and this takes concentration on her part and limits her to generating weather effects that can naturally occur on the planet.

So Thor would win. But Storm is way cooler. She can pick a lock with her teeth, after all.

Nyktipolos

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2014, 12:40:22 pm »

This might actually be the thing that gets me into comics. That, and Kamala Khan as Ms. Marvel.

While I am definitely influenced by the MCU, I really hope they keep both Jane as a female and Thor and Jane's relationship. Although, from what I'm reading, they seem to be kind of implying there are two Thors? And the previous male Thor is no longer worthy to wield Mjolnir? Or maybe I'm getting something wrong here.

Personally, I think this is an incredible step. I don't think Marvel is perfect and some sort of a bastion for female comic book characters, but I DO think this is a step in the right direction in having more of a positive, BIG show of women in comic books. Already there are many-a fanboy crying foul over it just simply because Thor is a woman, and not over anything like logistics of the story or the credentials of the writers/artists. And then *we* get told we're not appreciating the art form or are being too emotional when we point out the (very obvious) gender inequality. :whis:
"Though my soul may set in darkness, it will rise in perfect light;
I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night." - Sarah Williams
On the Rivers

Nyktipolos

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2014, 12:47:09 pm »
Quote from: Altair;153071
I'm also surprised by the move from a strictly commercial standpoint, since Marvel Studios is currently minting money making movies featuring Thor, as played by the deliciously ubermale Chris Hemsworth. And usually when that happens, the comics try to align with the movies, at least on major elements of the character.

Have they been? Like I said I'm not familiar with the comic book world, but from what I understand the story lines they've been pulling from for MCU have plot lines that have already happened, and are not currently running in the stories. (I took a peek at the Thor article and under Ultimate Marvel it seems to be talking about a story of Norman Osborne trying to invade Asgard with Dark Avengers.)

As someone who got into the movies without being into the comics, I wasn't really concerned on the connection between the two, because I KNEW it was an adaptation? And I think a lot of people coming from that direction might feel the same way (where they ended up now is a different story). I do get the concern over comic book fans coming to the movies from that kind of background.
"Though my soul may set in darkness, it will rise in perfect light;
I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night." - Sarah Williams
On the Rivers

Altair

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2014, 12:53:15 pm »
Quote from: Nyktipolos;153074

Personally, I think this is an incredible step.

It would be, if they meant it. But it's nearly certain that--after a suitable run and the publicity bump--they'll revert to the "classic" male Thor. (Like when Princess Diana was ousted as Wonder Woman, or Bruce Wayne was crippled and I think Azrael took his place as Batman, or when Jim Rhodes stepped in for Tony Stark as Iron Man...and the many high-profile "deaths" that *always* get undone...etc.)

Which will leave this female character as...what? A leftover? An also-ran? That ultimately isn't going to help secure a stronger position for female characters in the Marvel Universe.

Altair

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2014, 12:59:28 pm »
Quote from: Nyktipolos;153075
Have they been?

For example, Captain America was "killed" as the culmination of the "Civil War" crossover, but they sure as shit made sure he was back by the time the first Cap movie was hitting theaters. Same for Spider-Man.

Sage

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2014, 01:28:03 pm »
Quote from: Altair;153078
For example, Captain America was "killed" as the culmination of the "Civil War" crossover, but they sure as shit made sure he was back by the time the first Cap movie was hitting theaters. Same for Spider-Man.

But heroes die and come back all the time. Revolving door next to the Pearly Gates and all that. And there are several universes in play at the same time, all the time.
I shall endure.

Jack

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • Skyhold
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2014, 01:45:35 pm »
Quote from: Altair;153076
Which will leave this female character as...what? A leftover? An also-ran? That ultimately isn't going to help secure a stronger position for female characters in the Marvel Universe.

I've pointed this out elsewhere, but... Beta Ray Bill got along just fine for years and years and unless he got tossed in Annihilation or something is still out there. It's not like there isn't precedent.

I mean, yes, what I really want Marvel to do is release a Black Widow movie and a bunch of awesome new female characters who get the same support the male ones do (and stop fucking up Speedball, while we're dreaming) but to undercut what they do try by saying it's not enough is frustrating too. Could they do more? Yes, absolutely. But I want to see what they do with her before I bitch about it.
"The only way to cope with something deadly serious is to try to treat it a little lightly." -Madeleine L'Engle

Jack

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • Skyhold
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2014, 01:48:13 pm »
Quote from: Nyktipolos;153075
Have they been? Like I said I'm not familiar with the comic book world, but from what I understand the story lines they've been pulling from for MCU have plot lines that have already happened, and are not currently running in the stories.

Asgard is currently located in... Oklahoma, I think, being ruled by a triumvirate of goddesses because Odin is dead, and Loki is a hot 20-something trying to erase the sins of his predecessor from history. So I think having a female Thor is not so far off pattern.

Jack

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • Skyhold
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2014, 01:49:17 pm »
Quote from: Nyktipolos;153074
This might actually be the thing that gets me into comics. That, and Kamala Khan as Ms. Marvel.

Kamala Khan is awesome and everything should be reading Ms Marvel.

Tags: