collapse

* Recent Posts

Author Topic: Making Baby Steps  (Read 9589 times)

HeartShadow

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.flamekeeping.org
Making Baby Steps
« on: July 04, 2011, 08:28:06 am »
We've all got them.  The little things we're trying to work on to get ourselves to be a better person, by whatever rubric we're using.

What baby step are you working on?

For me, it's keeping my teeth brushed.  It's such a minor thing, and yet every time I get in a funk I CANNOT seem to bother to do it.  So I'm trying really hard to brush my teeth even on the bad days, the cranky days, the ones that start with a cranky child - just that.  Daily maintenance.

veggiewolf

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
Re: Making Baby Steps
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2011, 04:25:18 pm »
Quote from: HeartShadow;608
We've all got them.  The little things we're trying to work on to get ourselves to be a better person, by whatever rubric we're using.

For me, it's keeping my teeth brushed.  It's such a minor thing, and yet every time I get in a funk I CANNOT seem to bother to do it.  So I'm trying really hard to brush my teeth even on the bad days, the cranky days, the ones that start with a cranky child - just that.  Daily maintenance.

For me, it is CLEAN ALL THE VEGGIE and brushing my hair.  If I get these two things done each day, I'm ahead of the game.
Fluid Morality - my spiritual blog
Eating Monsters - my mental health blog

"Religion does not define a deity- it defines the human approach and interpretation of deity." - Juni
"I hate magical thinking in my magic." - Darkhawk
"...a baseball club; a soccer unkindness; a hockey murder; a football team..." - Cecil, Welcome to Night Vale

Devo

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://seshemherkekew.livejournal.com
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2011, 05:07:15 pm »

I have issues with brushing my teeth too. I eat xylitol like it's going out of style- to help make up for my lack of brushing. Bad me.

I try to stretch a little bit each day. I have a bad habit of carrying a lot of stress in my muscles. They are almost always tight- even with regular stretching. However, the stretching helps, so I try to do some of it every day.

-Devo
dA | FB | LJ | WP

Monica Mc

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2011, 12:56:25 am »

At the moment it's getting out of bed. It is such a struggle each morning since I want to lie there all day long. So If I can force myself out of bed when it's time without thinking it over for an extra 30 minutes I consider it a win for the day.

Fier

• Daughter of the Cosmos
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic Pantheist
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2011, 10:22:13 pm »

For the past few months it has been taking my AD every morning, and remembering to get refills before the prescription runs out. It is a tiny little thing that makes a HUGE difference in my ability to function.

I think it's time to add another, and it is drinking enough water every day. I do a poor job at this, partly because I find the water at my work place to be icky. But I need it, as was made perfectly clear to me this past weekend.

JuniperMorgan

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
    • http://courtneygalloway.wordpress.com/
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2011, 04:03:32 pm »
Quote from: FierFlye;2349

I think it's time to add another, and it is drinking enough water every day. I do a poor job at this, partly because I find the water at my work place to be icky. But I need it, as was made perfectly clear to me this past weekend.

Try using the new stuff Mio - it's no calorie, no sugar, just flavoring that you can adjust the strength of by how much or how little you add.  It's worked for me.  I have a strong dislike for Detroit water and this makes me able to drink it.  Just a thought.  You can find it at Meijer in a variety of flavors.

As for my babysteps:  getting out of bed.  Need to add the brushing the teeth thing, drinking yet more water, and writing at least something every day.
You can also find my ramblings at my blog although I\'m not the best at regular updates.  I\'m working on fixing that. Or look for me on FB here or Google+ here. :)

Stardancer

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2011, 04:09:27 am »

A little bit of makeup to make myself look nice.

And a stupid question from someone new to the self care thing: Is body scrub used in addition to or instead of soap?

I didn't move in the right social circles (or much any at all) to learn this kind of stuff in my teens, so I was in my 30s before I discovered the arcane makeup terms like 'foundation' and such..
My (mainly) astrological blog
http://sidselh.livejournal.com/ Last update 25. oct \'11

rocquelaire

• Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Gaelic Polytheist
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/her
Making Baby Steps
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2011, 05:32:32 am »
Quote from: Stardancer;3252
And a stupid question from someone new to the self care thing: Is body scrub used in addition to or instead of soap?

Not a stupid question at all. It depends on the particular scrub. Most are in addition to soap but some can be used instead of it. I tend to just use all scrubs in addition to soap to be on the safe side lol.

rocquelaire

• Staff
    • View Profile
Making Baby Steps
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2011, 05:37:02 am »

Drinking more water. And exercising at least three times a week even when I don't feel like it. Sometimes it's so hard to motivate myself after a long day at work to come home and start exercising so that's a goal for me. To just do it lol

HeartShadow

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.flamekeeping.org
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2011, 03:04:59 pm »

I didn't move in the right social circles (or much any at all) to learn this kind of stuff in my teens, so I was in my 30s before I discovered the arcane makeup terms like 'foundation' and such..

ye gods, don't ask me! :D  I can recognize a hairbrush and soap - anything more complicated and I haven't the foggiest. :D  (makeup?  what's that? ;) )

Stardancer

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2011, 03:51:50 pm »
Quote from: HeartShadow;3357
ye gods, don't ask me! :D  I can recognize a hairbrush and soap - anything more complicated and I haven't the foggiest. :D  (makeup?  what's that? ;) )

Oh thank goodness I'm not alone! :D

I once watched a friend (hairdresser) go from morning groggy to gorgeous in 30 seconds flat, and was envious!

Nyktipolos

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2011, 05:20:41 pm »

The place I went to learn all this is Makeup Alley (makeupalley.com). They've got a huge forum with lots of members, and will probably have an answer for any questions you have. :)

I had to learn all my makeup information primarily from the internet or via makeup videos, because while my mom does know about makeup, she knows a couple of the basics, but only one way to do the basics (my mother doesn't like changing her routine... at all). This makes things complicated when I have a completely different skin type from her, and dealing with other skin issues that she doesn't have, and all she can tell me is "I don't know". :S
"Though my soul may set in darkness, it will rise in perfect light;
I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night." - Sarah Williams
On the Rivers

Fier

• Daughter of the Cosmos
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic Pantheist
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2011, 01:07:42 pm »

Usually in addition to. A lot of body scrubs don't have soap in them, but salts or clay and then other things to make them smell good.

Stardancer

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2011, 05:54:27 pm »
Quote from: FierFlye;3612
Usually in addition to. A lot of body scrubs don't have soap in them, but salts or clay and then other things to make them smell good.

Ok, thanks. So I have to use soap - or both if I feel up to the extra effort. :)

rocquelaire

• Staff
    • View Profile
Making Baby Steps
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2011, 06:02:45 pm »
Quote from: Stardancer;3689
Ok, thanks. So I have to use soap - or both if I feel up to the extra effort. :)

If you don't often feel up to the additional effort a bath puff or mitt can give you some exfolliation if you use it to wash. I use one of them all the time and then a proper scrub once a week :D

Tags: