collapse

* Recent Posts

Author Topic: Talking to the gods/goddesses  (Read 5319 times)

zamotcr

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • http://www.zamot.pw
Talking to the gods/goddesses
« on: October 18, 2013, 08:26:55 pm »
Hello!

I was reading a lot of posts here in the forum, and I read that a lot of people here has receive or hear messages from their god or gods.

I am wondering, how do you get the messages, do you use tarot or other divination tools? Or you do some kind of ritual or meditation?

I'm still looking for my patron gods, I'm researching and learning to know if I'm connected to anyone, but when I do, I want to know if they are open to me or not, I want to hear them, strength my relation to them too.

veggiewolf

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2013, 10:22:14 pm »
Quote from: zamotcr;125966
Hello!

I was reading a lot of posts here in the forum, and I read that a lot of people here has receive or hear messages from their god or gods.

I am wondering, how do you get the messages, do you use tarot or other divination tools? Or you do some kind of ritual or meditation?

I'm still looking for my patron gods, I'm researching and learning to know if I'm connected to anyone, but when I do, I want to know if they are open to me or not, I want to hear them, strength my relation to them too.

TC is unusual in that there are number of members who are vocal about their deity connections.  It's not a common thing at all - there are many more pagans that do not have direct deity contact than there are who do.
Fluid Morality - my spiritual blog
Eating Monsters - my mental health blog

"Religion does not define a deity- it defines the human approach and interpretation of deity." - Juni
"I hate magical thinking in my magic." - Darkhawk
"...a baseball club; a soccer unkindness; a hockey murder; a football team..." - Cecil, Welcome to Night Vale

zamotcr

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • http://www.zamot.pw
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2013, 10:26:16 pm »
Quote from: veggiewolf;125974
TC is unusual in that there are number of members who are vocal about their deity connections.  It's not a common thing at all - there are many more pagans that do not have direct deity contact than there are who do.

Oh I see. I was reading the post about prohibitions and a lot of people told that they were told not to do things and such.

Well, I will try first to know about gods, and then try to make a connection, but dunno how. But one step at a time :)
« Last Edit: October 18, 2013, 10:29:46 pm by zamotcr »

Sophia C

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://leithincluan.wordpress.com/
  • Religion: Druid, Celtic & contemplative Christian, Gaelic-ish polytheist, on a mystic path
  • Preferred Pronouns: They/them
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2013, 02:44:07 am »
Hello!

A mix of divination and meditation, mostly. I'm not one of those people who hear gods' voices clearly in my head. Divination can be very clear on messages, though, and I can hear them a bit more directly through visualisation and meditation. Have you tried any of these? Some people get certain feelings while doing ritual, and there are other indirect ways of being in contact with gods. It's not unusual not to hear gods directly, as veggiewolf says, but there are other ways.
"We're all stories, in the end. Make it a good one, eh?"
- Doctor Who

Aniera

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Talking to the gods/goddesses
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2013, 05:49:02 pm »
Hello!

So far, Asherah only "said" something to me once and that was simply her name. I don't seem to really hear her as much as I get feelings. That was one of the things that after hearing her name, I started searching for her and couldn't get enough of her stories and such. I don't know if I would call her my Patron or not just yet, but we are working on it.
I shy away from actually declaring a Patron just yet because I am also interested in Kemetic Gods (always have been Asherah just shorta threw me for a loop because I knew nothing of her.)

Just take your time... I've been practicing about 4 years and just now got a name :D
What A Shame To Have Wings & Never Fly

Becoming a mother is my greatest achievement.

Spiritual Blog: http://www.whimsicalmystical.blogspot.com

Aiwelin

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2013, 06:58:36 pm »
Hello!

I've never heard the voice of a deity, though I have had two 'nudges' from my Goddess, Nerthus.

I do use divination (usually the runes or the ogham) on occasion to ask advice of the deities I honor.  It's one of the necessary elements in my religion's full-blown ritual.  I honestly have no idea whether the deities are actually communicating with me through these objects, but when I follow Their advice the outcome tends to be good, so I believe it is Them.

As I mentioned, I've also gotten two 'nudges'.  I've been honoring an Earth Goddess for years, and recently decided that I wanted to know Her name so I could learn more about Her historically.  I did a ritual asking Her to show me, and over the course of the next few weeks I began seeing articles and books mentioning Nerthus constantly.  I had my suspicions, and did another ritual divination to confirm with Her; and through the divination I interpreted that this was the name She would like me to know Her by.  (Of course, this didn't rule out the possibility that She's been known by other names, but this is the one She wanted me to find).  

The other 'nudge' I've gotten from Her is reducing my impact on the Earth by going vegan.  I just know somehow, in my heart, that this is something She wants me to do.  It's not something I've accomplished, and it's not something She's pushed; but I know She wants me to.

So, long story short, though I've been Pagan for ten years I've only been (what I feel is) specifically directed by a Goddess twice, and one of those I pursued and made happen.  I get the impression that it's not something that happens to most people a lot.
Devotee of Nerthus
Worshipper of Germanic Deities
Now blogging on Patheos Pagan!  Check out Heathen at Heart

In the Nebraska-Iowa area?  Come check out Prairie Shadow Protogrove, ADF!
Ár nDraíocht Féin
The Troth

Tay Redgrave

• Journeyman
  • Devil May Cry's a rockin'
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Pagan (Heathen/Druid)
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2013, 10:25:09 pm »
Hello!

Mostly divination and meditation, though sometimes I focus on feelings I get when I talk to them, hah. I don't seem to actually really "hear" them often and the last time I ever heard anything, I was kind of half-asleep at the time or possibly dreaming. One of the two.

Lydia

• Apprentice
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2013, 01:08:44 am »

In order to get direct audio-visual contact from the deity that I have encountered- the cosmic spirit of right, I use a particular meditative technique, though even this usually does not work.

The meditative technique is in several respects similar to the method of drawing in the deity's essence (which, in contrast, has been reliably effective), but the meditative technique serves to draw the deity not so much into one's emotions (as with drawing in the deity's essence), but rather into one's internal senses of sight and sound, similar to dreaming. It is much easier for this deity to influence sight than sound. I must be in an environment of darkness, silence, and solitude, have my eyes closed, and clear my mind of all thoughts and especially audio thoughts, and I must focus on the beauty of the darkness, silence, and solitude. Also my body must be in a position that does not require any constant muscle tension (like how standing or sitting upright does).

I must remain in that state for some time (usually more than 10 minutes) before I can begin to get brief flashes of divine influence on my vision. After a longer time, at least 30 minutes, there is the potential for me to enter the realm of the deity's spirit, where the deity has complete control over what I see and hear. Note that I say only 'potential'; that is because the deity does this full immersion and control only for the purpose of giving me information, and what the deity tells and shows me, and when it does so, is based upon the deity's own picky criteria, so most of the time I do not succeed in making such encounters. During such audio-visual communications, I do not see the deity itself, but rather, whatever imagery the deity puts in front of me for illustrative purposes, to complement the deity's words. The first time that this happened to me, it came as a big surprise.
It is more often than not the case that dominance-asserting sociopaths rule over decent people, due to the more power-hungry nature of the former. That principle is demonstrated well by various internet forums. ...*ahem*

Faemon

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2013, 02:55:51 am »
Hello!

Meditations and dreams, mostly.

The best way I can describe it is that your imagination can become disobedient to you when you're thwapped. For example, you set up a nice meditation area and some time to do just that...a pre-recorded soothing voice is guiding you through meditation, telling you to relax, that there's nowhere that you need to be and nothing that you need to do... that you're walking down a flight of steps into the darkness...there is nothing but the sound of the narrator's voice...

"It's about time you paid me a visit."

That's not the narrator's voice. It might be your voice, but it doesn't sound like your voice. So, you ignore it and focus on something else.

"No, wait, where are you going this time? Oh, come on!"

It might not even be a voice as in accented words that should be going through your ears, but halfway between audible and interpretive-emotional. They don't say "Oh, come on!" but you would feel an impatience that isn't quite yours, if you can understand this.

So, the soothing meditative voice continues that you're in a tunnel underground when you see a door. This is a door to your past life.

"You will forget this nonsense and come with me because there is something I want you to do in your present life!"

The door disappears and you're out in a sunny field somewhere. The soothing meditation says, "Open the door slowly..." but you can't anymore because the door is not in your mind anymore, and the tunnel isn't in your mind anymore. An owl alights on your shoulder, which is unreasonable because in your mind it's the middle of the day. It's unfortunate that you try to be reasonable about this, because you weren't expecting a person so Athena (for example) didn't come to you as a person. You thought it was possible to regress to a past life as an animal maybe--so Athena appears to you as an animal.

So you go for several sessions like this believing that you were an owl in your past life.

Some nights later, in a dream, an owl turns into a woman and starts talking to you very sternly. When you wake up, you forget the words and can only remember the sternness.

Some days later, you're meditating about a river and the woman from your dream sits beside you. If you can take care to notice her, She might then blurt out, "Change your major." Which might have been a concern but was never an option because you're afraid to tell your parents that the career tract they wanted for you to go to university, that they're funding, isn't working out. You figured you could stick it out regardless and just live your own life when their disappointment won't put you in a very bad position. But her encouraging presence gives you the courage to get you thinking more seriously about how to do this.

A few years later, you've changed your major, your parents weren't too upset, you were much happier than you thought you could be from just sticking it out, and the very helpful imaginary friend in your meditation and dreams earns the name Alethia because you read it in a philosophy textbook and it sounded pretty. The woman in the meditation just smiles at that because it doesn't really matter to her what her name is. If you're psychically inclined, you might consider this the guidance of a type of Jungian Anima, or a guardian angel.

Years after that, a significant other drags you to an art museum on a date, and you come across a statue or something of Athena with an owl. A certainty clicks into place somewhere deep in your mind, and you slap your forehead for not having seen it before. Your mind's eye reviews the past life meditation, the river meditation, and creates a simultaneous memory of the museum you're presently standing in--with one alteration, that of a woman who doesn't physically exist standing beside the statue and looking very pleased with Herself.

It doesn't have to take years, but I know that my own reasoning gets in the way a lot of the time, and sometimes the gods themselves are okay with your observing the mystery.

By no means is this the only way, either. It could be a lot of lucky coincidences, or it could remain a formless feeling without any actual theophany. Sort of like how you could be watching a television series and think of a friend who would really enjoy it because the dialogue is witty in a way you don't personally get but you know it is your friend's sense of humor, or the main character has the same insecurities--that sense of "friend-ness likeness". The friend isn't present, but the concepts are. So, you could go to one library and get this sense that a very large and intense and wise and feminine presence is there, and sort of pray in your mind, "Greetings, Athena" but you can go to another library with equally studious people and for whatever reason She has not graced her blessing upon that place.

At least, that's been my experience. Not with Athena, but...something like that. I hope this helps!
The Codex of Poesy: wishcraft, faelatry, alchemy, and other slight misspellings.
the Otherfaith: Chromatic Genderbending Faery Monarchs of Technology. DeviantArt

OfSunlight&Shadows

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2013, 08:47:34 am »
Hello!

For me, I only experienced Mars speaking to me in dreams and meditative vision type moments. Mostly dreams though. When I first met Him, it was how he appeared to me. We would always go to the same spring-time meadow and overtime, I've come to explore it and recognize it. It's always the same plants, the sunlight is the same, etc. I don't know if it's a place of my creation or His (or both?), but that's where we interact. Sometime He'd talk to me, other times we'd just be in silence, enjoying the moment. A few times, when I wanted to meet with Him, I'd get into a meditative like state, try to envision the meadow to the best of my ability and wait. Sometimes He'd come, other times He wouldn't. The dreams were the most visual and detailed. I have never heard Him speaking to me in my waking life. There are things that often remind me of Him and make me think of Him, but things are definitely not like with my dreams when I am awake.

In these dreams He'd often teach me things. Or more accurately point things out. He came to me when I lost someone important to me. I was depressed and feeling guilty about it. I often went to bed overcome with sadness and that's when He made Himself known to me. Once I ended up dreaming of our meadow and within the dream I was crying. He let me cry a bit, His presence though was calming and reassuring. This is a small snippet from my paper journal of one of the dreams --

He keeled down. I did the same and he pointed to a tiny plant shoot rising from the rotted wood and earth. “Like this tiny shoot among the decay of death, life still flourishes. Life lives on.” I looked up and met his eyes and nodded, my sadness quelled.

I knew this to be true, that life goes on, part of a cycle, but I guess I just needed someone else to point it out to me. His words sort of snapped me out of things. With His help, I started to come to terms with my loss.

So for me, my interactions are, apart from the meditative ones, more random and less in my control. Since I have dealt with my loss to the degree that it doesn't bother my daily life, He has come to me less and less in my dreams, but I'm not worried. I know things don't always have to be on and happening all the time, there are times of quiet and inactivity.

I've also had other, random dreams involving Zeus, Aphrodite, Hermes and what I think was Prometheus, but they were more one-time things and less profound than those with Mars.

These things might just depend of the person and the deity in question. Some gods may be more inclined to be vocal than others and they may seek out the worshiper, but it can happen the other way around too. I have read of certain gods being more quiet, Nebt-het and Amun being a few examples, so some gods may be more subtle in their approach. Other deities may prefer dreams or divination or synchronicity or whatever methods. It also may be easier for certain people to push aside doubt and other blockages when dreaming and the deity is able to communicate easier and more freely that way. I would go slow and not push anything. If you have a deity you are wanting to build a relationship with, perhaps talk to them and let them know you are open and willing to hear from them and see what if anything occurs. Some deities may be more subtle, some may be very obvious. You could try methods as well, such as meditation, recording your dreams, divination, etc to see if one is better or easier for you and the deity to communicate. Over time, with patience, you should get some sort of progress or clue regarding the deity (either the start of a relationship or not). Though not all people have these sorts of things, so the lack of them shouldn't be something to worry about. It could take months or years to get to a point where interaction is made known in such a way. It's different for everyone and how a deity may interact with person A, doesn't mean they'll interact the same way with person B. :)

Medulla

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2013, 02:11:43 am »
Hello!

I don't think that straight up hearing clear messages is how it works for most people. In my case for example, the closest I got was just a strong feeling that I had to do something or that they were pleased or not about an offering or something like that. Otherwise, I'd just get little signs.

It's different for everyone else so you should do what works for you, whether that's paying attention to your surroundings for hints, divination methods you're into, meditation, whatever.

missgraceless

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic Pagan
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2013, 10:55:46 pm »
Quote from: Aniera;126478
So far, Asherah only "said" something to me once and that was simply her name. I don't seem to really hear her as much as I get feelings. That was one of the things that after hearing her name, I started searching for her and couldn't get enough of her stories and such. I don't know if I would call her my Patron or not just yet, but we are working on it.
I shy away from actually declaring a Patron just yet because I am also interested in Kemetic Gods (always have been Asherah just shorta threw me for a loop because I knew nothing of her.)

Just take your time... I've been practicing about 4 years and just now got a name :D

I have yet to actually hear Quan Yin's voice. It was Alanis Morissette(sp?) (isn't it ironic?) that introduced me to Quan Yin.
I was meditating with some kind of ambient music, when my ipod descided to play "Citizen of the Planet" by Alanis. I snapped from my zoned-out trancy state as soon as the first line of the chorus played. "I am a citizen of the planet / my president is Quan Yin"

I'd downloaded that entire album but never listened to it through, so that was my first time hearing that song and of Quan Yin.

Now I really just waves of complete calm and serenity when I need Her slash when She's paying attention to me.
"Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly."   ~ Morticia Addams

Ecco

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/ford.rachel
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2013, 11:10:44 am »
Quote from: OfSunlight&Shadows;127144

These things might just depend of the person and the deity in question. Some gods may be more inclined to be vocal than others and they may seek out the worshiper, but it can happen the other way around too. I have read of certain gods being more quiet, Nebt-het and Amun being a few examples, so some gods may be more subtle in their approach. Other deities may prefer dreams or divination or synchronicity or whatever methods. It also may be easier for certain people to push aside doubt and other blockages when dreaming and the deity is able to communicate easier and more freely that way. I would go slow and not push anything. If you have a deity you are wanting to build a relationship with, perhaps talk to them and let them know you are open and willing to hear from them and see what if anything occurs. Some deities may be more subtle, some may be very obvious. You could try methods as well, such as meditation, recording your dreams, divination, etc to see if one is better or easier for you and the deity to communicate. Over time, with patience, you should get some sort of progress or clue regarding the deity (either the start of a relationship or not). Though not all people have these sorts of things, so the lack of them shouldn't be something to worry about. It could take months or years to get to a point where interaction is made known in such a way. It's different for everyone and how a deity may interact with person A, doesn't mean they'll interact the same way with person B. :)

I definitely have found, in my personal experience, that the gods respond best when I have prepared a visualization based meditation that arranges a setting in which a certain god would be most at home in. Even though I have had both Hecate and Artemis make their presence known in circumstances that seem to not be directly related to their mythos, when I started out it seemed I had the strongest responses to both of them when I either entered an cave, or a woodland glen. But both of the goddesses react differently - and typically I feel like they don't always communicate via speech.

But most often, when I let my mind go properly, unhinged by the minutiae of the day, thats when they surprise me the most. But I find this state of clarity hard to obtain, so I generally try to do a self guided visualization to invite the god in.

Vovk

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2013, 09:22:19 am »
Hello!

It's a number of things for me, really. Some gods can be spoken to directly, depending on your inclination and level of consciousness. It can be during a journey (like a shaman's journey) where you see them as they are. It can be during dreams or in an intended trance. Also, divination and summoning rituals are ways.

Foxface

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2013, 04:15:42 pm »
Hello!

I have long wanted to here Isis say hello back. I know she hears me and I 'feel' her responses but if I ever heard her I'd bounce back and forth between ecstasy and terror

maybe some day

Foxface

Tags: