collapse

* Recent Posts

Author Topic: Anyone know how to compose Galdrs?  (Read 5782 times)

Riothamus12

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: The Nameless Path
  • Preferred Pronouns: He/Him/His
Anyone know how to compose Galdrs?
« on: August 21, 2013, 05:23:51 pm »
I've heard of these incantations before which were often put in poetic form rather than the prosaic form I am most familiar with. However I haven't been able to figure out what pentameter a galdr uses. All I know is that it has seven lines and makes heavy use of parallelism and that it's likely that these were sung according to some sources. I've been considering using them as part of my workings as it is a historical occult practice and a way to honor my norse heritage among my already quite eclectic ritual and belief.

Edit:I think I may have accidentally posted this in the wrong section.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 05:26:57 pm by Riothamus12 »
https://inthespiritofconversation.wordpress.com/
I started a blog. Feel free to peruse. It's still in it's early stages and I have to write more, so do bare with me if it's all a little basic so far.

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
Re: Anyone know how to compose Galdrs?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2013, 07:04:02 pm »
Quote from: Riothamus12;119586

Where did you want it to be?
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

Jack

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • Skyhold
  • Religion: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/he
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2013, 07:15:11 pm »
Quote from: Riothamus12;119586
I've heard of these incantations before which were often put in poetic form rather than the prosaic form I am most familiar with. However I haven't been able to figure out what pentameter a galdr uses. All I know is that it has seven lines and makes heavy use of parallelism and that it's likely that these were sung according to some sources. I've been considering using them as part of my workings as it is a historical occult practice and a way to honor my norse heritage among my already quite eclectic ritual and belief.

I'm not sure that galdr used pentameter at all, but if it did, I'd imagine it was dactylic pentameter as iambic is comparatively modern.

To be honest, when I do galdr, I often do it free verse or with a simple AB rhyme scheme because I'm doing it extemporaneously. Filk galdr is another favorite that I've found works pretty decently for spellwork, but that might be a little chaos for your tastes.

The trick is that you're using the act of singing to bring the spell into existence along with the sound waves that previously existed only as potential in your mind. Focus on that and you should be okay.
Hail Mara, Lady of Good Things!
"The only way to cope with something deadly serious is to try to treat it a little lightly." -Madeleine L'Engle

Riothamus12

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2013, 02:43:09 am »
Quote from: Jack;119605
I'm not sure that galdr used pentameter at all, but if it did, I'd imagine it was dactylic pentameter as iambic is comparatively modern.

To be honest, when I do galdr, I often do it free verse or with a simple AB rhyme scheme because I'm doing it extemporaneously. Filk galdr is another favorite that I've found works pretty decently for spellwork, but that might be a little chaos for your tastes.

The trick is that you're using the act of singing to bring the spell into existence along with the sound waves that previously existed only as potential in your mind. Focus on that and you should be okay.

Well I was able to find a rhyme scheme generally used but no specific syllable count. The rhyme scheme I had found was akin to the aabb pattern. Though you would be right about the filk thing.I do not do such things in my workings.
I started a blog. Feel free to peruse. It's still in it's early stages and I have to write more, so do bare with me if it's all a little basic so far.

Jack

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • Skyhold
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2013, 03:04:49 am »
Quote from: Riothamus12;119639
Well I was able to find a rhyme scheme generally used but no specific syllable count. The rhyme scheme I had found was akin to the aabb pattern. Though you would be right about the filk thing.I do not do such things in my workings.

... How do you know it's pentameter if you don't have a syllable count?

(You're missing out, btw. Filk is terribly fun.)
"The only way to cope with something deadly serious is to try to treat it a little lightly." -Madeleine L'Engle

Riothamus12

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2013, 05:38:16 am »
Quote from: Jack;119642
... How do you know it's pentameter if you don't have a syllable count?

(You're missing out, btw. Filk is terribly fun.)

That's part of the problem. I was able to find the rhyming pattern of it, but not specifically a syllabic count if there is one.

(I reserve that sort of thing for my personal amusement rather than worship.)

Jack

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • Skyhold
Anyone know how to compose Galdrs?
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2013, 10:57:10 am »
Quote from: Riothamus12;119653
That's part of the problem. I was able to find the rhyming pattern of it, but not specifically a syllabic count if there is one.

So you were just kind of guessing that it was pentameter? I mean, that's a weirdly specific guess to make if you don't know. My instinct would be that pentameter is a little longer for the rhythm I expect galdr to have.

Regardless, you could probably use any reasonable length.

The great thing about filking is that you can choose a song that already has the relevant energies/associations.

Riothamus12

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2013, 12:01:36 pm »
Quote from: Jack;119669
So you were just kind of guessing that it was pentameter? I mean, that's a weirdly specific guess to make if you don't know. My instinct would be that pentameter is a little longer for the rhythm I expect galdr to have.

Regardless, you could probably use any reasonable length.

The great thing about filking is that you can choose a song that already has the relevant energies/associations.

http://books.google.com/books?id=CrmQIYjzs2UC&pg=PA243&lpg=PA243&dq=galdralag+meter&source=bl&ots=nnl6SllBBC&sig=eyxvL0WFfHHqGONRcnHZTZayMOU&hl=en&sa=X&ei=dS0WUoHsNOTA2AXQ14GwCw&ved=0CCsQ6AEwADgK#v=onepage&q=galdralag%20meter&f=false
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galdr

That and a few other scant sources is my source with regards to that. This is turning out to be more of a pain than I had anticipated.

Jack

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • Skyhold
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2013, 01:37:16 pm »
Quote from: Riothamus12;119676
http://books.google.com/books?id=CrmQIYjzs2UC&pg=PA243&lpg=PA243&dq=galdralag+meter&source=bl&ots=nnl6SllBBC&sig=eyxvL0WFfHHqGONRcnHZTZayMOU&hl=en&sa=X&ei=dS0WUoHsNOTA2AXQ14GwCw&ved=0CCsQ6AEwADgK#v=onepage&q=galdralag%20meter&f=false
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galdr

That and a few other scant sources is my source with regards to that. This is turning out to be more of a pain than I had anticipated.

So that wikipedia article specifically says it's in a meter derived from ljóðaháttr, which... doesn't look anything like pentameter at all. And also is quite neatly described on wikipedia, so there you go.

The odd numbered lines were almost standard lines of alliterative verse with four lifts and two or three alliterations, with cæsura; the even numbered lines had three lifts and two alliterations, and no cæsura.[...] A number of variants occurred in ljóðaháttr, including galdraháttr or kviðuháttr ("incantation meter"), which adds a fifth short (three-lift) line to the end of the stanza; in this form, usually the fifth line echoes the fourth one.

Problem solved.

veggiewolf

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2013, 12:13:43 pm »
Quote from: Riothamus12;119653

Is there a specific reason?
Fluid Morality - my spiritual blog
Eating Monsters - my mental health blog

"Religion does not define a deity- it defines the human approach and interpretation of deity." - Juni
"I hate magical thinking in my magic." - Darkhawk
"...a baseball club; a soccer unkindness; a hockey murder; a football team..." - Cecil, Welcome to Night Vale

Jack

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • Skyhold
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2013, 12:35:44 pm »
Quote from: veggiewolf;119794

I prefer to work with deities who have an appreciation for amusement and a sense of humor, myself.

veggiewolf

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2013, 01:45:34 pm »
Quote from: Jack;119796
I prefer to work with deities who have an appreciation for amusement and a sense of humor, myself.

I do as well.
Fluid Morality - my spiritual blog
Eating Monsters - my mental health blog

"Religion does not define a deity- it defines the human approach and interpretation of deity." - Juni
"I hate magical thinking in my magic." - Darkhawk
"...a baseball club; a soccer unkindness; a hockey murder; a football team..." - Cecil, Welcome to Night Vale

Jack

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • Skyhold
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2013, 02:07:30 pm »
Quote from: veggiewolf;119805
I do as well.

Then again, the god I associate with galdr is Odin, and this is the figure of Odin I have in the house:

So that gives you a pretty good idea of my seriousness level.

Riothamus12

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2013, 12:19:45 am »
Quote from: veggiewolf;119794

Because my workings are serious things. Now granted I could see how six of the seven from the faith of the seven in ASOIAF could be referenced and it would fall in line, but generally speaking, I don't see a resonance with them. I also consider my workings to be very serious affairs. Filk is not something I usually see as serious. I do not pray to Elric of Melnibone so he is not part of my workings. His adventures might amuse me, but he is not subject to my spiritual reverence. Also I would not expect as great an effect. Some would accuse me of being too traditionalistic, others would call me too eclectic. I incorporate some methods and ideas that the most traditionalistic would be less than inclined to use or subscribe to, but I might seem like a wet blanket to a full blown chaote.

yewberry

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2013, 01:29:55 am »
Quote from: Riothamus12;119900
Because my workings are serious things.

Must be exhausting.

Brina

Tags: