collapse

* Recent Posts

Author Topic: Finding My Spirit Animal?  (Read 2829 times)

Child of Wolves

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
Finding My Spirit Animal?
« on: July 24, 2013, 06:40:19 pm »
I'm hoping this is in the right place, if not, forgive me.

I have always been very interested in Spirit Animals and on the site I have seen lot's of people talk about working with theirs, so I was just wondering how you found yours and if you can advise me on finding mine? Thanks.

Sage

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://sageandstarshine.wordpress.com
Re: Finding My Spirit Animal?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2013, 07:04:32 pm »
Quote from: Child of Wolves;116664

I have always been very interested in Spirit Animals and on the site I have seen lot's of people talk about working with theirs, so I was just wondering how you found yours and if you can advise me on finding mine? Thanks.

Can you explain what you mean by "spirit animal"? I ask because that's a very vague term in and of itself, and one that is often used when finding a "totem" animal. (The word "totem" originates from a very particular Native American tribe and the idea of having a "totem" has been appropriated and misunderstood by non-Native peoples for a long time. There are a lot of misconceptions about totems and spirit animals, so whenever a conversation like this crops up I find it's really helpful to talk about our terms and assumptions from the beginning.)

Not everyone has a spiritual connection to an animal, the same way not everyone has (or will get) a patron deity. And even if you don't have that sort of connection from birth, that doesn't mean you can't choose to honor an animal or work with it in real life/on the astral plane/in prayer/whatever.
Maker, though the darkness comes upon me,
I shall embrace the light. I shall weather the storm.
I shall endure.
What you have created, no one can tear asunder.

-Canticle of Trials 1:10

Sage and Starshine (my spiritual blog): last updated 2/25.
Friday Otherfaith Blogging: last updated 2/27
Join the Emboatening Crew over on Kiva! Emboatening the boatless since Opet 2013.

Child of Wolves

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2013, 07:17:47 pm »
Quote from: Sage;116670
Can you explain what you mean by "spirit animal"? I ask because that's a very vague term in and of itself, and one that is often used when finding a "totem" animal. (The word "totem" originates from a very particular Native American tribe and the idea of having a "totem" has been appropriated and misunderstood by non-Native peoples for a long time. There are a lot of misconceptions about totems and spirit animals, so whenever a conversation like this crops up I find it's really helpful to talk about our terms and assumptions from the beginning.)

Not everyone has a spiritual connection to an animal, the same way not everyone has (or will get) a patron deity. And even if you don't have that sort of connection from birth, that doesn't mean you can't choose to honor an animal or work with it in real life/on the astral plane/in prayer/whatever.

Well, I may be wrong, but it is my understanding from what I have researched that a Totem Animal can be any animal that you call upon in a situation whereas a Spirit Animal is somewhat similar to a guide and sort of personifies your personality. So I mean the latter. Unless my definitions are wrong, if so please correct me

Nyktipolos

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2013, 07:34:51 pm »
Quote from: Child of Wolves;116673
Well, I may be wrong, but it is my understanding from what I have researched that a Totem Animal can be any animal that you call upon in a situation whereas a Spirit Animal is somewhat similar to a guide and sort of personifies your personality. So I mean the latter. Unless my definitions are wrong, if so please correct me

Neo-Pagan culture has greatly skewed the actual meaning of a totem animal (including how to spell it) to point where it doesn't really have any association to the Anishinaabe term beyond the etymology of it. I've never really heard any standard definition of totem that could not just be replaced with "spirit animal", and I think people just keep clinging to the term because it sounds exotic.

The Anishinaabe doodem is your clan animal, and it defines you at birth depending on who your father was. You don't have to go searching for it, nor do you have more than one. Anything else to do with interacting with your doodem in a traditional context I think is either intensely personal or is kept under oath; either way I don't think it's very really been written about.
"Though my soul may set in darkness, it will rise in perfect light;
I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night." - Sarah Williams
On the Rivers

Sage

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2013, 08:02:50 pm »
Quote from: Nyktipolos;116677
Neo-Pagan culture has greatly skewed the actual meaning of a totem animal (including how to spell it) to point where it doesn't really have any association to the Anishinaabe term beyond the etymology of it. I've never really heard any standard definition of totem that could not just be replaced with "spirit animal", and I think people just keep clinging to the term because it sounds exotic.

The Anishinaabe doodem is your clan animal, and it defines you at birth depending on who your father was. You don't have to go searching for it, nor do you have more than one. Anything else to do with interacting with your doodem in a traditional context I think is either intensely personal or is kept under oath; either way I don't think it's very really been written about.

To explain a little further, this means that when anyone is using the term "spirit animal" or "totem animal" outside the original Anishinaabe usage, they are using their own definition for what that word means. There is no set definition for what a spirit animal is, where it comes from, how you get/find one, etc.

Perhaps better questions to ask might be: what does "spirit animal" imply for me? What about working with animals appeals to me? Have I felt a connection with any animals before? Do I admire or fear the real or imagined qualities of certain species? Furthermore, what do I want to do with this information once I've got it?
I shall endure.

Join the Emboatening Crew over on Kiva! Emboatening the boatless since Opet 2013.

Fionnbharr

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2013, 05:44:19 pm »

What does your intuition tell you?

On my path the animal has always been about learning or seeing the path ahead - entities showing themselves as certain animals to either teach or guide me (those who teach stay around until I have learned the lesson, while the others just comes by for a short visit). I have chosen to just name them power animals, which to me can be any animal (spirit, familiar, totem, in flesh, etc.)...

There are as many paths to take as you can imagine. You could try to ask it/them to show up in a dream. There is also visual meditation. Then there is as I wrote above just write down what your intuition tells you... you can also ask others if they see anything and see where it leads you.
Grief and sorrow grows on the far banks of the river Styx, go there and visit them and you might not find your own way back home. - Achilles

Tana

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2013, 06:06:03 pm »
Quote from: Child of Wolves;116673

Let's take a step beyond the vocabs.
You know, just because all the 101 books out there say you need this or that, doesn't mean you really need it. So the question you should answer for yourself is:

Why do I want to find such a being?
Because 'it's the thing to do'? Like 'get the four tools (tm)'?

Or do you have a distinct plan to delve into spirit workings? Then the questions are:

What do you want this spirit being for, what shall it provide and do for you?
What do you plan to do for it in return, how to build up and maintain the relationship?

Don't worry about how to name the thing, worry first about the Why, then the rest is a bit easier.
\'You had to repay, good or bad. There was more than one type of obligation.
That’s what people never really understood.….Things had to balance.
You couldn’t set out to be a good witch or a bad witch. It never worked out for long.
All you could try to be was a witch, as hard as you could.\'
Terry Pratchett \'Lords and Ladies\'

Confuzzled and proud. :p

Indra

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • http://apagansoul.wix.com/apagansoul
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2013, 01:56:14 am »

I found mine years ago. I don't know what to call him title wise but he's been with me for about 10 years, he never leaves when my faith has taken a back seat to life and he has an incredible amount of patience. It took him 8 years to feel confident to give me his name, before then I just used to call him 'blue-eyes'. When I need him I can either find him in a meditation or in day to day life I can call him and he'll be there by my side.

He's never directly told me to do anything but he has counselled me, advised me and just used his presence to support me when I've needed it.

So I'm not sure what he is (spirit guide, totem animal etc.) But I know he's always there for me.

stephyjh

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2013, 03:28:30 pm »

Personally, I have an affinity for crows. Some of their behaviors closely mirror my own instincts; they always seem to be around; I work fairly often with the Morrigan, of whom crows are a common symbol...you get the idea. But I never had to really find them. They've always alert of been around.
A heretic blast has been blown in the west,
That what is no sense must be nonsense.

-Robert Burns

Elyria

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2013, 07:55:57 pm »
Quote from: stephyjh;116893
. . .

Lets cut through the crap here.

Child of Wolves, I understand the need to wan to find your spirit animal. It feels like its a part of you, so you should be aware of it.

To me (and from the books I've read and other people I've talked to) a spirit animal is like your inner personality. It's the animal version of you. It isn't something you choose. It's just something you are. Most of the time, it's your favorite animal because its the animal you feel most drawn to. So you need to figure out your favorite animal, or try to do a meditation. You can look online to find a suitable meditation to help you find your spirit animal. If there's a meditation for spirit guide or something, you can use that too. Just substitute guide for animal.

Totems are also not chosen. There are several different types of totems. There's a message totem, a journey totem, a shadow totem, and one other but I can't remember. lol A message totem is just that: a message. It will appear to you rapidly throughout a short time frame. And it's focus is to deliver you a message, something that you aren't seeing yourself and need some help with. I had a moth as a message totem when I was at a crisis point in my life. It was basically telling me that things were changing and I needed to roll with it.

Shadow totems are, more often than not, something you fear because they possess the qualities you lack. My old shadow totem was a snake. I've since learned to accept the personality traits that a snake represents and it's now one of my favorite animals. My new one is spiders, which I'm getting used to.

Journey totems are typically around for a while. They are there to guide you and help you long term through a situation you are having trouble with. Has your favorite animal changed recently (or ever)? This could be your journey totem leaving and being replaced.

The key to these animals is to know when they are trying to contact you. In my case with the moths, it wasn't just seeing a moth that made me learn they were trying to deliver a message. It was when a bright pink one, one I had never seen before in my life, was resting on a bench that I would sit at every day. Or when a small white one appeared out of thin air when I was communicating with my goddess. Or when I went outside one evening to see a moth the size of my hand, completely uncommon in my area, flying around my porch.

They aren't just your every day occurances. They are special meetings, chance encounters. You can't go to the zoo and see an otter and say that otters are your spirit animal or totem. That will end up giving you all kinds of mixed signals.

Hopefully you'll find that now that you know about these types of signs, you'll see more of them. Your blinders have been taken off and they know that and will try to reach out to you.

In the mean time, go online and look up totem animal meanings to get a better idea of their personalities and what they represent. Try to find what animal has been around you your whole life, one you feel the most draw to all the time, and that will most likely be your spirit animal. Seeing as how your screen name includes wolves, it seems you're already on the right track.

I hope this helped you, and good luck in your hunt!

Brightest blessings,
Elyria

Sage

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2013, 09:53:22 pm »
Quote from: Elyria;116914

Speaking of which, do you have any sources for what you're tossing out? Like who is saying these things about spirit animals, defining them as things that one can't choose for themselves, shadow totems, all that? Where are you getting your information from?
I shall endure.

Morag

• Senior Staff
  • cranky witch mom
    • View Profile
    • Priestess of the 3
  • Religion: Priestess of the 3
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2013, 10:18:08 pm »
Quote from: Elyria;116914

I'm confused. Your post seems to be directed to Child of Wolves, but you've quoted Stephy's post. Are you also replying to Stephy? Is her post the "crap" of which you speak? Or is the crap you wish to cut through elsewhere in the thread?

If that's the case, maybe you could be more specific about what you find to be inaccurate or wrong in her post, or the other posts in this thread? It would probably clear up a lot of confusion.
Pray drunk. Hex sober.
Priestess of the 3
"The most powerful god at any given moment is the one who can solve the moment's problem."
-Darkhawk

stephyjh

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2013, 10:58:26 pm »
Quote from: Morag;116939
I'm confused. Your post seems to be directed to Child of Wolves, but you've quoted Stephy's post. Are you also replying to Stephy? Is her post the "crap" of which you speak? Or is the crap you wish to cut through elsewhere in the thread?

If that's the case, maybe you could be more specific about what you find to be inaccurate or wrong in her post, or the other posts in this thread? It would probably clear up a lot of confusion.

I was wondering that myself. I mean, I don't know how sharing my own personal experiences could be seen as "crap." I'm pretty sure I know what I've experienced in my own life, unless someone would like to share how I don't.
A heretic blast has been blown in the west,
That what is no sense must be nonsense.

-Robert Burns

Child of Wolves

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2013, 06:59:40 am »

I would like to thank everyone very much; what you have all told me has helped me decide what is the right way for me and given me a better understanding. By the way I don't consider anybody's posts crap, they were all very helpful. I think I am going to try meditation first of all.

Riothamus12

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: The Nameless Path
  • Preferred Pronouns: He/Him/His
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2013, 07:16:39 am »

It is not something that one chooses. It is or it is not. The way one finds such a thing depends on the person really. There is no one way it happens. Since no two people are exactly alike, one cannot expect to discover something intimately tied to you in such a way to happen in the same fashion as it does another. My mother had a spirit guide appear to her as an infant rather than anything else one might expect. It depends on the person. There are ways to hasten the process along but one should not expect to be instantaneous. It happens when it will however it will whether it is an epiphany, a vision, or something else.
https://inthespiritofconversation.wordpress.com/
I started a blog. Feel free to peruse. It's still in it's early stages and I have to write more, so do bare with me if it's all a little basic so far.

Tags: