collapse

* Recent Posts

Author Topic: ...Hebrew Wicca?  (Read 1606 times)

Castus

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Happy Science
...Hebrew Wicca?
« on: October 10, 2016, 12:27:21 am »
So, I've begun sketching out, in a very preliminary way, a form of Wicca -- and even then I hesitate to call it that, as Wicca is not something I am blessed with a deep familiarity for -- with HaShem/YWVH and the Shekinah/Sabbath Bride serving as the God and Goddess, and with the kabbalistic sefirot as individual powers to be worked with; possibly intermingling with the soft polytheism I indulged in awhile back; with various powers serving as the manifestation of Ein Sof (the one, ultimate, completely unknowable G-d).

Any recommended reading from anyone, or thoughts? I've been thinking about enrolling in Woolston-Steen Seminary to get a fuller background in Wicca to help me out.
“Castus, meanwhile, goes straight for the bad theology like one of those creepy fish that swims up streams of pee.” — Darkhawk

“Believing in the Lord means you are connected to me no matter when you are poor, sick, or struggling in a relationship. I am always with you. I want you to believe that. The future is uncertain, and much suffering awaits. However, the mission of the believer is to live life doing their best, no matter what the circumstances.” — Ryuho Okawa

MadZealot

• Adept Member
  • Eye yam tu papi.
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Founder of the Church of No Pants.
Re: ...Hebrew Wicca?
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2016, 12:39:46 am »
Quote from: Castus;197296
So, I've begun sketching out, in a very preliminary way, a form of Wicca -- and even then I hesitate to call it that, as Wicca is not something I am blessed with a deep familiarity for -- with HaShem/YWVH and the Shekinah/Sabbath Bride serving as the God and Goddess, and with the kabbalistic sefirot as individual powers to be worked with; possibly intermingling with the soft polytheism I indulged in awhile back; with various powers serving as the manifestation of Ein Sof (the one, ultimate, completely unknowable G-d).

Any recommended reading from anyone, or thoughts? I've been thinking about enrolling in Woolston-Steen Seminary to get a fuller background in Wicca to help me out.

Not sure exactly how to go about adapting Judaic theology into a duo-theistic model, but it sounds like you've figured it out.  

After that you need to tweak the ritual format to suit your needs.  Probably look at Western Ceremonial Magick (GD-ish type stuff) and associated Hermetic Qabalah.  

Do you plan to work with the Jewish liturgical calendar or a variation on the Wheel of the Year format?
You have my sword
And my shield
And my... um... slacks.

Castus

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2016, 12:52:19 am »
Quote from: MadZealot;197297
Not sure exactly how to go about adapting Judaic theology into a duo-theistic model, but it sounds like you've figured it out.  

After that you need to tweak the ritual format to suit your needs.  Probably look at Western Ceremonial Magick (GD-ish type stuff) and associated Hermetic Qabalah.  

Do you plan to work with the Jewish liturgical calendar or a variation on the Wheel of the Year format?

It definitely requires further tinkering re: adapting the theology. How stretchy I can make my monotheism, whether it will ultimately devolve (evolve?) into heavily-ritualised pantheism, how to deal with the uniquely Jewish concept of being the chosen people, etc etc. But I think I have a handle on the beginning.

I'm not even remotely familiar with Western Ceremonial Magick (magic generally is not my ballgame) so I'll definitely have to look into it. Thanks for pointing me in that direction.

Both? I think? Definitely going to keep the Jewish liturgical calendar, but will probably add, rather than subtract, from it.
“Castus, meanwhile, goes straight for the bad theology like one of those creepy fish that swims up streams of pee.” — Darkhawk

“Believing in the Lord means you are connected to me no matter when you are poor, sick, or struggling in a relationship. I am always with you. I want you to believe that. The future is uncertain, and much suffering awaits. However, the mission of the believer is to live life doing their best, no matter what the circumstances.” — Ryuho Okawa

Demophon

• Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2016, 02:18:04 pm »

I've heard that Asherah was the wife of Yahweh (who himself was derived from the Canaanite El), before the Babylonian exile and the switch to monotheism, or rather, henotheism. There isn't much monotheism in the Hebrew scriptures unless one interprets them with a more modern lens. Anyway, maybe that would help with incorporating a divine feminine figure, and there is the bonus of a historical precedent.

Is this for interest, or something you are interested in actually practicing?

Castus

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2016, 02:36:36 pm »
Quote from: Demophon;197329
I've heard that Asherah was the wife of Yahweh (who himself was derived from the Canaanite El), before the Babylonian exile and the switch to monotheism, or rather, henotheism. There isn't much monotheism in the Hebrew scriptures unless one interprets them with a more modern lens. Anyway, maybe that would help with incorporating a divine feminine figure, and there is the bonus of a historical precedent.

Is this for interest, or something you are interested in actually practicing?

Something I'm interested in practicing.

Demophon

• Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2016, 03:07:51 pm »
Quote from: Castus;197330
Something I'm interested in practicing.

Oh interesting. What drew you towards Wicca and away from more traditional Judaism?

Castus

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2016, 03:46:20 pm »
Quote from: Demophon;197332
Oh interesting. What drew you towards Wicca and away from more traditional Judaism?

Well I of course started from the framework of Conservative Judaism way back when, and then gradually liberalised until I ended up converting in a non-traditional, nondenominational setting. From there I had my interest piqued by Eastling's work in Jewish-inspired neopaganism and thought to see if I could embrace a more pagan-centered theology while still staying authentically Jewish in some way; especially since paganism has always been very close to my heart and I would welcome a way to reconcile the two.

Wicca, with it's duotheistic philosophy, seemed like a good fit to begin working with; given the duality that is present -- albeit, somewhat marginally -- in certain mystical strains of Judaism. From there, I'll be researching early Hebrew religion more to be able to historically ground my practice; while trying to make it so that whatever this new tradition turns out to be can fit comfortably in both the pagan and 'alternative' Jewish communities.

If any of that makes sense at all, that is.

Demophon

• Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2016, 09:24:36 pm »
Quote from: Castus;197338
Well I of course started from the framework of Conservative Judaism way back when, and then gradually liberalised until I ended up converting in a non-traditional, nondenominational setting. From there I had my interest piqued by Eastling's work in Jewish-inspired neopaganism and thought to see if I could embrace a more pagan-centered theology while still staying authentically Jewish in some way; especially since paganism has always been very close to my heart and I would welcome a way to reconcile the two.

Wicca, with it's duotheistic philosophy, seemed like a good fit to begin working with; given the duality that is present -- albeit, somewhat marginally -- in certain mystical strains of Judaism. From there, I'll be researching early Hebrew religion more to be able to historically ground my practice; while trying to make it so that whatever this new tradition turns out to be can fit comfortably in both the pagan and 'alternative' Jewish communities.

If any of that makes sense at all, that is.

It makes sense, and it sounds like an interesting journey. It sounds like you already have some Kabbalistic influence, and I'm not an expert, but I think there is some mystical overlap between that and Wiccan ideas. Kabbalah was likely influential to Gardner and others who shaped Wicca in the early days. One book on Wicca that I would say is an absolute "must-read" would be Doreen Valiente's Witchcraft For Tomorrow, and if I remember correctly, she does refers to Kabbalah briefly throughout the book. I think Janet and Stewart Farrar go into a bit more detail when discussing the connection between Kabbalist mysticism and Wicca in their Witches' Bible, but out of the two, I would go with Valiente's book. (Stewart Farrar's book, What Witches Do is also very good, and much lighter and more concise than A Witches' Bible, but difficult to find.)

Best of luck on your path.

Castus

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2016, 09:56:24 pm »
Quote from: Demophon;197349
It makes sense, and it sounds like an interesting journey. It sounds like you already have some Kabbalistic influence, and I'm not an expert, but I think there is some mystical overlap between that and Wiccan ideas. Kabbalah was likely influential to Gardner and others who shaped Wicca in the early days. One book on Wicca that I would say is an absolute "must-read" would be Doreen Valiente's Witchcraft For Tomorrow, and if I remember correctly, she does refers to Kabbalah briefly throughout the book. I think Janet and Stewart Farrar go into a bit more detail when discussing the connection between Kabbalist mysticism and Wicca in their Witches' Bible, but out of the two, I would go with Valiente's book. (Stewart Farrar's book, What Witches Do is also very good, and much lighter and more concise than A Witches' Bible, but difficult to find.)

Best of luck on your path.

Thank you for the recommendations!

I've gone into more detail on my new blog, if anyone cares to read it:

Kol HaLev -- Voice of the Heart

Eastling

• Sr. Master Member
  • Love and be free.
    • View Profile
    • Mystermercury
  • Religion: Modern Dionysian hero cultus and heretical Judaism
  • Preferred Pronouns: He/him/his
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2016, 05:43:34 pm »

You've probably already looked into this, but I found Raphael Patai's The Hebrew Goddess to be very useful in getting a basic grasp on the presence of some kind of Goddess-figure in early Judaism and later Jewish mysticism.

I think a lot of Wiccish structure is very compatible with Jewish mysticism, given the strong centering of Hashem's relationship with the Shekhina in Kabbalistic practice. Likewise the tendency of the Divine Feminine in Jewish history to shift and encompass many goddesses (Asherah, Astarte, and probably other forms of the ancient 'Queen of Heaven' were probably early influences that later led into the Shekhina) probably makes it easier to work with the Wiccan conception of the Goddess.
"The peacock can show its whole tail at once, but I can only tell you a story."
--JAMES ALAN GARDNER

Tags: