collapse

* Recent Posts

Author Topic: Does subjective experience trump academic sources?  (Read 9320 times)

Valeria Crowe

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://thesallowbeldam.tumblr.com/
Re: Does subjective experience trump academic sources?
« Reply #30 on: September 22, 2014, 10:12:31 am »
Quote from: carillion;159764

Carillion, listen to me.

Morag was not whitewashing the Morrigan. She was not using UPG. She was not mistaken about Her attributes and she was not disproportionate in her response to me. She is not, and no one is, saying that UPG somehow trumps or invalidates myths and folklore if it completely contradicts the deitys character. Because no one is pulling the "dark deity becomes fluffy bunny" routine here. That accusation is the thing not based in fact here.

My apology was my own choice, and not humiliating, degrading, or forced. It was not an abasement. I'm a Satanist, do you really think my ego would permit an abasement?

I can't tell you to drop it, but don't misunderstand what people are saying, and certainly don't think you're crusading on behalf of a misunderstood woobie getting bullied by evil UPG-privleging cauldronites. ;)
« Last Edit: September 22, 2014, 10:13:03 am by Valeria Crowe »
"This is a sorrow-spider. Which end do you hold it by? TRICK QUESTION!"

Yei

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Mexica Reconstructionism
  • Preferred Pronouns: He/Him/His
« Reply #31 on: September 22, 2014, 11:00:07 am »
Quote from: Jenett;159779
That was actually my point. When you read someone saying "I had a dream about X" and you can get in touch with them, you can *talk to the person who had the dream*. Why do we privilege "I read about this person who had a dream who died hundreds of years ago, and whose dream got written down, translated into this language, we lost part of the commentary, and then it's been interpreted by half a dozen people, some of whom are probably getting things right, but others of whom might not be."

Once again, it is not about accepting a 'dream' because it is written down. Sure someone's dream alone is hardly a solid foundation. But that's not the important part, nor is it the limit of what history can teach. Sources can teach us about the political, social and economic context in which they were created, at a time when the role of polytheistic gods and their philosophies played a more comprehensive role in society. There are many ideas in polytheistic religions which do not correspond to modern European ideas, at least in mine. This in turn can help clarify and contextualise worship and religious interaction in the present day.

Again. I am a librarian, and I work with our interlibrary loan librarian all the time. This is not true. Some academic sources are easy to get, including for non-academics. Some are not. When we're doing research, we shouldn't be talking averages, we should be talking about what's true for particular topics.

In some fields, a lot of older material is in a secondary or tertiary language (for example, there's a lot of discussion of some parts of Classics where the discussion about texts in in Greek has happened in Latin and German, so you need to read all three languages to get back to the source material and earlier analysis. Many academic commentaries aren't translated, of course.)

I've done research projects where only a couple of libraries had a particular source I wanted (and often, more delicate sources may not be available by interlibrary loan, so you may be stuck unless you can physically go to a library that has an item.)

I agree you can often get *somewhere*, assuming the source material actually exists (which is a whole other question: as pointed out in the thread since this post, there's a lot of places where there just isn't source material at all, or where the archaeological material is so fragmentary that it's all guesswork.) But that doesn't mean that it's a complete picture of the academic research, either.

Some academic sources may be rare and hard to find. Others are not, though. Obviously the exact extent of this information varies considerably depending on the religious and/or cultural group in question. But at the end of the day one does not need to know everything. They just need to know enough to, as you say 'get somewhere'.

Yep. But in that case, again through the power of the Internet, it's not impossible I could actually talk to the source. If someone posts here and has a weird experience, we can talk about it.

I can look at the other kinds of things they've posted (and things they don't talk about) and use that to evaluate what they're saying. I can look at what they said, and look at what other people have experienced, and how things match up. I can apply common sense. (All of which I also need to do with academic texts.)

And how would you do this? How would you evaluate them?

Yes. But they can also misinterpret, or leave out information, or ignore information that doesn't suit their goals, or not have access to information that came out later, or any number of other things. You usually can't tell just from a single source, and you can't tell if an individual piece is good research or bad research or mostly good with some minor flaws research or what. In other words, you have to do all the same checking you'd have to do with someone about a dream.

Academics don't just make claims. They also check each others claims and take each other to task. There have been some major arguments between scholars about pretty much anything. That's the difference. Its not that scholars are inherently better than non-scholars, but the process of academia is, at least to some extent, self correcting and self critical, much like science (well...should be). Now I'm won't pretend that the system is perfect in any way, but that element of self-reflection and self analysis is an important component which allows a reader the option of checking for themselves as well as explain the qualities of other texts.

Again, this is no different from your ability to check up on real people right now who say things. You can check up on them, too, and decide whether or not you agree. (And should, obviously.)

And again, how do you make the decision to agree with them or not?

No, most people who don't dig further get their information about my religion from movies like the Craft, and books like the Power of Three and TV shows like Charmed. You're right it's not helpful. But those people weren't going to go read academic texts, either, so I'm not sure why they're relevant to this particular topic.

They might not read academic texts, but that was not the point of the comment. My point is that we come from very different perspectives, and the reason is probably related to the differing contexts in which our religion exist. There are serious issues with misappropriation, fraud and plastic shamanism which has causes injury and even death in the past.

I believe in academic research. But I also believe in the power of listening to people having experiences. And learning from them, not simply texts. I embrace the power of 'and' for my sources information. Not 'only'.

This is a misrepresentation of my argument. I never said that I 'only' embraced academic sources. I said that I would put them first, largely because I believe that any form of gnosis would have to be checked with some academic source anyway, if only to give it context, corroborate or to help clarify it. If someone makes a claim about a religion, you'd want to know what they base the claim on. Take this very thread as an example. This does not mean that I do not think personal experiences are important. But if someone made a controversial claim about any idea, let alone a divinity, you'd darn well want to know where they got their information from.

random417

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 22, 2014, 03:00:09 pm »
Quote from: carillion;159694
I was thinking of this while reading another thread wherein one person felt obligated to apologise for misconstruing the true character of a goddess based on what appeared to be that other person's subjective *experience* of that goddess.

Thing is, from my reading about this goddess , she was alloted certain characteristics by botht the mythology in which she appears and by numerous
 academics that have researched her which one of the posters apologised for mentioning. To be fair, not all academics agree so there is room to manuver in regard to interpretation. But certainly some aspects of her are agreed upon.

Which got me to wondering. I have to first own to not having a deity phone so I have to rely on academic sources for information. It is from this that I form my ideas on certain deities, their characters and place in mythological narratives.

So how much should someone who is limited to reading about a deity throw overboard when corrected by someone who has a subjective experience of this deity which disagrees with the literature?

I am not just referring to the thread I referenced. I studied Hecate for a couple of years and nothing I read seemed to indicate this chthonic goddess was at all warm and fuzzy yet other people who claimed to be in her thrall or at least in cominication with her assured me that she was the victim of bad press and she first and foremost a loving, nurturing mother-type. I did hope this didn't mean the posters had sacrificed puppies to their real life moms if this was their 'model' :eek:

The problem with this is without those early stories, we would not even know about ancient deities.

The best answer is to both read and investigate one's experiences. But I know from past history that many on pagan forums will metaphorically beat the crap out of someone who only has access to research which contradicts their ideas and it can be very confusing for a seeker. A lot of people will simply turn away from the mythology and go by the popular consensus .

So do you think that if your experience contradicts the known mythology, you can safely disregard it and should you encourage others to do so as well?
I do a lot of work in evocation. Admittedly, the grimoires and the spirits ate different animals both from lore and godforms. That said, this is something that evokers deal with on a regular basis, and has enough similarities that I figure I'll mention my take on that and what I personally think/do.

Evocation is dangerous at times, and going in with nothing but a sigil and a name is not something I'd ever consider. Likewise, while I don't do a lot of godform work, I couldn't see approaching a deity without learning about them. To me, learning about a spirit of any kind is part of the process.

Evocation is, if I can be blunt, about inducing focused and controlled hallucinations, which the spirit in question uses to communicate. The nature of the beast means that there's room for your mind creating experiences, or parts of experiences. Any time you hear any kind of UPG, you can't dismiss the idea that the mind sculpted the experience, or part of it. The lore then is how you check against that. On the other hand, if all the other parts of an experience check out, the chance that one party that conflicts with lore was created by the users mind becomes smaller.

From my experience, UPG and lore should both be used to test each other. Neither is always right or always wrong. Lack of reference material, conflicting material, mistranslations, ect. Many things screw with the veracity of lore. For the most part though, especially when many sources agree, lore is pretty trustworthy.

In the same way, there's usually no reason to mistrust UPG, it's usually pretty accurate ALTHOUGH sometimes it only applies to the person it was given to.

For me, when someone else's upg conflicts with lore/research, while it doesn't detract from the experience for them, it might for me.
What lore hounds can forget sometimes is that UPG can be tested and verified by other members of the community. Not everyone has to agree, but if there's something there, it'll apply to more than just you.
"Let it be that state of manyhood bound and loathing. So with thy all; thou hast no right but to do thy will. Do that and no other shall say nay. For pure will, unassuaged of purpose, delivered from the lust of result, is in every way perfect."

AL 1:42-44

Jenett

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Seeking: First steps on a path
  • Religion: Initiatory religious witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #33 on: September 22, 2014, 03:13:46 pm »
Quote from: Yei;159784
Sources can teach us about the political, social and economic context in which they were created, at a time when the role of polytheistic gods and their philosophies played a more comprehensive role in society.

You're right. But they do not necessarily teach us things about the role of polytheistic gods in modern society. (Or rather, we cannot assume that they will.) Because the world changes, and the ways people think about things and connect things changes, and things like a modern ability to travel and communicate quickly across large distances changes things.

As I said, I believe strongly that the Gods are beings who continue to change and grow and learn, so what was said about a God 2000 years ago is, in some ways, like talking to someone who knew me in high school about what I'm like now. Some things will be consistent (I am still smart, I read a lot, etc.) but other things have changed a lot (my politics, my religion, the things I make a particular priority for time in my life.)

Academics don't just make claims. They also check each others claims and take each other to task. There have been some major arguments between scholars about pretty much anything. That's the difference. Its not that scholars are inherently better than non-scholars, but the process of academia is, at least to some extent, self correcting and self critical, much like science (well...should be). Now I'm won't pretend that the system is perfect in any way, but that element of self-reflection and self analysis is an important component which allows a reader the option of checking for themselves as well as explain the qualities of other texts.

And these things *also* go on in the modern Pagan communities. They happen in less formal methods than article and response in an academic journal (or an article being submitted for peer review), but *because* they are less formal, and take less time to work through the research/writing/peer review/publication/distribution process, they're actually more useful for evaluation at times. (and more people can be involved, comments, raise issues, etc.)

In terms of evaluating information, my basic method is actually remarkably similar for both academic and personal experiences, though the specific tools I use obviously vary depending on the source. The methods I use are pretty standard approaches, validated by research in the library and other fields.

1) Who is the person who's sharing this information?
What's their background? How does that background relate to the topic under discussion? What makes their comments on this topic worth listening to?

For an academic that clearly is about their academic background, expertise, education, etc. - these things are sometimes but not always available from someone's bio or website or the site of the school where they are based.

For a personal experience, that might bring in questions like someone's training in their religious tradition, how long they've been working with a deity or path, what other experiences they have that I can look at.

I might also know (and trust) someone who knows them and recommends their work, or I might know their reputation in the community through various sources. (I've been reading Pagan material on the Internet for nearly 20 years now, so there's a lot of "I recognise that name, let me dig" that can be supplemented quickly by a couple of well-designed web searches.)

There are a few areas of academic interest where I have that kind of background, but in general, I know less about the details of a given academic field than I do the areas of the Pagan community of particular interest to me. (I'm a librarian: I touch a lot of academic fields in the course of my professional and personal research, so this isn't surprising.)

2) What are their goals in sharing this information?
Do they state particular goals? Are there other unstated goals?

As noted in the thread I linked to previously, there are a number of academic articles where the goal might be more 'I am working toward tenure' or 'I am collaborating with Major Name in my field, and this is an offshoot of that, and I need to keep Major Name pleased' or other things that may mean the research is limited or focused in a way that leaves out things I'd care about. You cannot assume it's just about pursuit of knowledge, in other words.

Likewise, even with peer review, you don't know who did the peer review. There have been cases of circles of reviewers. There are vanity journals out there. There are people doing peer review who can comment, say, on an articles methodology in general terms, but who are in a different subfield and may not know all the nuances or details of minor debates in the subfield. In other words, you *still* have to evaluate the academic article in substantial ways, you can't rely on someone else doing it for you.

When someone shares an experience informally, I can generally tell fairly quickly why they're sharing it - it's usually clear if someone's looking for information, or for validation or because they want people to think they're special, or that they want to share to help other people, and to factor that in.

3) What are they talking about?
Some things have evidence behind them. Some things, including in academic texts, don't. "We found X statue or Y inscription" is a fact. What it means, what the text means, how that statue or inscription would have been meant by the creator, however, are things that rely on interpretation.

And those interpretations can be right, wrong, or somewhere in between. And they can be tremendously biased based on sexism (see my Hildegard reference in the linked thread), racism, classism, or all sorts of other things.

When we're talking about people's personal experiences, *I'm* the one doing most of the interpretation. I might be right, wrong, or somewhere in between too, but at least I'm looking at all the direct material available outside someone's head, and I don't have to filter out lots of other biases in the process. And if I want to use the material for my own purposes, well, my own biases are all over it again.

4) What evidence, supporting information, or other details do they provide?
Does that evidence make sense with other things I know about the topic? Is the supporting information of good quality? If they are relying on translations, or research by other people, or so on, is that material of good quality?

Again, with personal experience, this part is less relevant, though sometimes still useful. But I can look at 'does this thing seem reasonable' and 'does this pass a common sense test' and 'does this fit with other commentary I've seen about similar things?'

For example, my primary deity experiences cannot be approached by formal research because my experiences have not yet produced data that turns up usefully in formal research sources - I have smells, flowers, a sense of place, etc. but not a name that maps to any known deity.

But people can (and do) ask me when I talk about it about the methods I've used, where the data I have comes from, how I've gone about looking for more information. And they can use my answers to that to decide how to take the other information I've shared. Over time, people who know me well (or who choose to dig through the back history - I've got years of posts in various Cauldron forums, for example, plus my own blog and other materials) can get a clear sense of where my own biases and flaws might be.

5) How does this fit with other information available about this topic?
One of the things I talk about when I teach research skills is that you want to look for two kinds of information when doing research. You want to look for new information about your topic (because otherwise, you won't learn anything you didn't already know) but you also want to look for information that supports and confirms other information you already know, so you can cross check in various directions.

Exactly how this works depends on a variety of pieces (including the topic, how fact-centered it is vs. interpretation, etc.) but it works the same for both academic and non-academic sources.

6) Other stuff:
How persuasive are their arguments? Who benefits if their arguments are correct? Who does not benefit?

How recent is this information? (If it is very recent - the last 2-3 years - it might be poor information and no one's had a chance to argue with it yet. If it is more than 10 years old, it might be dated (but depending on the field, might not be: some fields move very slowly).

How does this seem to fit with other things the author has done? Is it related to previous research or teaching or experience? Or is it going off in some new direction? (This can be good or bad, and you need to look at the specifics to tell.)

Are there signs of poor research? Do they bring up or rely on sources that are questionable or disproven? Do they bring up topics that are problematic? Etc. etc.

Finally, the question for me about sources is not so much about whether I agree with them or not, but whether they give me useful new information that lets me take my research and practice further. I am very unlikely to rely on a single source for just about anything (other than, in some cases, pieces of information about the practice of my tradition, since in some cases there *is* only a single source, and my choice is 'do I continue with this practice or not'.)

What I'm interested in is "Who else has talked about this, and what can I learn from that?" whether by agreeing, disagreeing, finding other sources or ideas to explore, leaning about specific evidence or experiences or other data, and so on.

There are serious issues with misappropriation, fraud and plastic shamanism which has causes injury and even death in the past.

And there are serious possibilities for harm and risk in my larger religious path (initiatory religious witchcraft). Also fraud, and misappropriation of traditions without bringing along the safety and precautions. (Initiatory work can be amazing, but there are people out there who borrow the outside/external 'what happens', without the internal work.) Your concerns are very valid here, but they're common to a lot of paths.  

But if someone made a controversial claim about any idea, let alone a divinity, you'd darn well want to know where they got their information from.

And I have *said* that. So please stop misrepresenting that I haven't. I believe in evaluating *all* the information I take in. I do it routinely. I'm trying to figure out where you get the idea that I don't.

But when you are talking about someone's direct experience, you do have some ways to learn more about where they got their info, and this is, in my reasonably extensive experience, about as feasible for people in describing practice as it is for academic research (which is to say, there are times it's easy and there are times it's hard, but I don't experience it as being notably easier or harder for one kind of source than another: for me, it varies much more by topic or field.)
Seek Knowledge, Find Wisdom: Research help on esoteric and eclectic topics (consulting and other services)

Seeking: first steps on a Pagan path (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism)

Yei

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Mexica Reconstructionism
  • Preferred Pronouns: He/Him/His
« Reply #34 on: September 22, 2014, 07:39:12 pm »
Quote from: Jenett;159802
You're right. But they do not necessarily teach us things about the role of polytheistic gods in modern society. (Or rather, we cannot assume that they will.) Because the world changes, and the ways people think about things and connect things changes, and things like a modern ability to travel and communicate quickly across large distances changes things.

Some things do change. Some things change a lot, other things change very little. Some things change and then change back. And some things don't change at all. The more things change the more they stay the same and many of the issues of the modern world, (though not all) have ancient roots. The Romans complained about their standards of political discourse, ate fast food and advertised. The Mexica were concerned about human impact on the landscape. The Sumerians were concerned with the human condition. Many things in life have changed. But there are still traits in our modern life which we share with the past. And even when things are different, it is good, though not essential to know how things have changed.

As I said, I believe strongly that the Gods are beings who continue to change and grow and learn, so what was said about a God 2000 years ago is, in some ways, like talking to someone who knew me in high school about what I'm like now. Some things will be consistent (I am still smart, I read a lot, etc.) but other things have changed a lot (my politics, my religion, the things I make a particular priority for time in my life.)

I agree. Nevertheless I would, personally, like to know how a god has changed over time and what to do about it. I would also like to make sure that my new understanding is actually that, and I have not simply mistook a sign for meaning something else.

And these things *also* go on in the modern Pagan communities. They happen in less formal methods than article and response in an academic journal (or an article being submitted for peer review), but *because* they are less formal, and take less time to work through the research/writing/peer review/publication/distribution process, they're actually more useful for evaluation at times. (and more people can be involved, comments, raise issues, etc.)

I don't disagree. Nor did I make any statements against such a process. Debate in religious communities is important and I never claimed otherwise. What I believe is that sources are an important part of this process, largely because they can be used to provide any such debate with contextual information and allow participants to check up on claims or give them something to base their interpretations on.

Truth be told I don't believe our thinking is too different on this matter. I do think you have misunderstood my like for academic sources to be more prominent than it really is. I value academic research because it is an important component in complementing community debates. I favour it, as I explained, because I believe that such debates would naturally end up going back to such sources anyway. Also such sources can provide context for a debate and this in turn can make the debates and or gnosis much more accessible to a wider variety of people. None of this means that I do not value debate, or that I do not value personal experience, or re-evaluation of religious ideas. Note also that my bias partly favours my situation, which I did not in my first post. I'm sure that if my situation changed my outlook would shift too.

And there are serious possibilities for harm and risk in my larger religious path (initiatory religious witchcraft). Also fraud, and misappropriation of traditions without bringing along the safety and precautions. (Initiatory work can be amazing, but there are people out there who borrow the outside/external 'what happens', without the internal work.) Your concerns are very valid here, but they're common to a lot of paths.

On this point I will admit I am largely ignorant of other paths. I have heard rumours of course, as I am sure we all have, but nothing confirmed.

And I have *said* that. So please stop misrepresenting that I haven't. I believe in evaluating *all* the information I take in. I do it routinely. I'm trying to figure out where you get the idea that I don't.

But when you are talking about someone's direct experience, you do have some ways to learn more about where they got their info, and this is, in my reasonably extensive experience, about as feasible for people in describing practice as it is for academic research (which is to say, there are times it's easy and there are times it's hard, but I don't experience it as being notably easier or harder for one kind of source than another: for me, it varies much more by topic or field.)

True. I was concerned that, as I believed, you had portrayed me as putting more emphasis on academic sources than I really do, and hypocritically I did the same thing, thinking you were dismissive of academic sources when you were not. For this I apologise. I do not believe that we differ in philosophy, just in degrees. We both believe that academics are important, and so is debate. I just happen to put more emphasis on the academics, which I admit is largely the result of my present situation, my personal habit of desiring sources and what I believe sources can provide.

catja6

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 22, 2014, 10:46:10 pm »
Quote from: carillion;159694

Thing is, from my reading about this goddess , she was alloted certain characteristics by botht the mythology in which she appears and by numerous
 academics that have researched her which one of the posters apologised for mentioning. To be fair, not all academics agree so there is room to manuver in regard to interpretation. But certainly some aspects of her are agreed upon.

So do you think that if your experience contradicts the known mythology, you can safely disregard it and should you encourage others to do so as well?

You seem to be assuming that a) the primary-source mythology and folklore as we know it is coherent and unified; b) "academic consensus" is coherent and unified; and c) that personal experience and "academic consensus" are, if they appear to "contradict" each other, inherently oppositional. Also, the idea that personal experiences should be irrelevant to the ~mythology as we know it~, and that cannot be incorporated into understandings of that deity/mythology/whatever. But the truth is that from the perspective of a folklorist, a mythologist, a literary scholar, a cultural historian--you know, those academic fields that deal with myth/legend and belief and practice both contemporary and historical--you'd be wrong. You seem to think there's some kind of black-and-white truth that is easily discernible from the myth/folklore, and anything that doesn't fit with that is automatically Wrong. From the academic perspective of both historical scholarship and of the study of contemporary beliefs, that is an incredibly reductive, simplistic, and seriously problematic viewpoint.

First, historical materials, and the interpretation thereof: There is no such thing as "neutral" or "objective." There really, really isn't. We're talking about culture, and human beings are ALWAYS creatures of their culture. That doesn't mean they're automatons mindlessly repeating the existing Big Truths of their time/place; but it does mean that context matters--and often in ways that aren't immediately obvious, both of the person writing the original document AND of the person interpreting that document from a historical/geographical/cultural distance.  And when you're dealing with documents with a long tradition of scholarly analysis, you're going to have all those layers to go through. And, of course, your own assumptions and expectations: what's important? what questions are you going to ask in your analysis? what have we learned from arachaeology, or analysis of economic texts from the period, or a new theory of how discourses of sexuality work in culture, or documentation of violent colonization and raids, or what later folklore tells us about it?

None of this adds up to easy, simplistic answers about something as complicated as the ~nature of the gods.~ Myth, belief, narrative: the general rule is that written material is only going to give you a fragmentary picture of "who the gods are." Even a seemingly coherent text from a single author is--as any scholar who does textual analysis will tell you--is full of lacunae and instabilities and ambiguities and fuzzy areas and water margins. And the author/compiler of a text is ALWAYS going to be informed by his/her context, beliefs, assumptions, etc. As will the people interpreting it. That disclaimer is always there, even if you don't see it: it's, like, a basic tenet of humanities and social sciences academia.

Here's an example. Fairy tales are axiomatic as fairly simple, pure-plot narratives with not so much characters as TYPES. There is Good and there is Evil, and that is obvious, discernible, and will be rewarded and punished accordingly. But even within these seemingly-simple narratives, there is an epic SHIT-TON of stuff going on. WHY is X good, and Y evil? How do we KNOW? This stuff shakes out in wildly complex ways once you actually start poking at the texts. For example: there's a persistent pattern in the Grimms' collection of absolving male characters--particularly neglectful/abusive fathers--of any wrongdoing, and foisting all blame and punishment off onto female figures. (Think of the fathers in "Hansel and Gretel," "The Maiden Without Hands," "Aschenputtel," or "All-Fur.") "Hansel and Gretel," is it a tale of child abuse? or of parents forced into an impossible position due to starvation? Is it a warning against consumption, or overconsumption, or wasting food? Also what about that witch? Is she ALSO the stepmother? What relevance does she have to anxieties about witchcraft? Or of famine? And what about the whole cannibalism thing? Is she pure evil? An initiator? What about that forest? What are some of the class issues happening? Why does the father who abandoned his children get to live happily ever after? And why did the Grimms pick THIS version, instead of the others they had collected? And how does this relate to other folktales about starvation, witches, forests, gingerbread, murderous children, etc. etc. etc. etc.?  

If we can poke critically at the characterization of the proverbially evil fairy tale witch (and proverbially good poor father figure), why on EARTH should we sit on our hands when it comes to beings as complex as GODS? So, like, that academic viewpoint that you seem to think is so coherent, really isn't--not the way you're presenting it. There are too many scholars questioning too many aspects of too many documents.

(It's especially weird that you picked the Morrigan as the hill to die on, considering that scholars have been pointing out things like "patriarchal Christian monkish smear campaign" for YEARS, and even if the texts were written by the most biased monk in the world, the Morrigan STILL comes across as seriously ambiguous and complex. Morag's "UPG" is actually a hell of a lot more academically defensible than the "bloodthirsty sexpot"--which Cuthwin acknowledged!)

When we get into modern UPG, you're on even less firm ground for trumpeting academic readings as inherently superior. I'm a folklorist, and I can assure you that dismissing people's lived experiences out of hand is both academically unsound and ethically dodgy. Like, if RainbowUnicornFarts69 claims to have had an experience with a warm fluffy cotton-candy Morrigan, I might ask some questions about why she thinks it's the Morrigan (given what I know of the lore), but ultimately, it's HER experience, not mine. I'm not obligated to accept her explanation of her experience--any more than I'm required to believe a fundie Christian who claims that his bagels keep burning because Satan possesses his toaster--but it's not my place to assert that there is NO WAY tM (or Satan) would EVER do that and therefore they're WRONG. They're gods, they contain multitudes, and Satan can conceivably burn people's bagels if he wants to--and I sure as shit am not going to tell him different. I can choose to add "burns bagels" to my mental checklist of "stuff Satan does," or not. But the bagel is still burnt.  

If I'm writing academically about beliefs about Satan, this is especially important: I can contextualize the rise of fundie Christian theologies of Satan's influence in everyday life, how it ties into larger philosophical constructs of sin and evil and (lack of) personal responsibility, and all kinds of other stuff. But it's REALLY not my place to assert "the bagel wasn't burnt. Or if it WAS burnt, it totally wasn't Satan because that's stupid." I don't know, man. I'm not here to prove or disprove the existence of Satan (burner of bagels or not). But the fact that this person thinks he burnt their bagel DOES matter, folklorically--those beliefs don't spring from a vacuum.

Academics in the relevant fields don't trumpet their scholarship as, like, the definitive statements on XYZ gods/legends/beliefs--they KNOW BETTER. And if you're dealing with living beliefs and experiences--as people are talking about with UPG--it's especially relevant and important not to dismiss present-day worshippers' experiences. Present experiences might not line up with ~The Lore~, but THE LORE doesn't line up with the Lore, and the academic readings are dealing with a gazillion things that could possibly be affecting The Lore and trying out new ways of reading The Lore and questioning the assumptions of The Lore and all the other readings of The Lore. So academic readings are going to challenge and negotiate fuck with and analyze and pull apart that Lore.

Yei's point that academic material is preferable when you're dealing with religions of people that are dealing with extensive colonialist misrepresentation and racism and appropriation--as with indigenous spiritualities in the modern West--is not at all wrong: academics, as pointed out, at least have a system of peer review and accountability, which understandably makes their work easier to identify as useful among the widespread mass of plastic shamanism popular-press nonsense. (Academia is certainly not free of colonialist white-supremacist bullshit, but again, at least there's a mechanism for calling that out in a way that will affect later work.)  But the work of academics simply cannot, and should not, be the be-all end-all ultimate authority for any spirituality that hopes to live and thrive in the present day among living people.

To sum up: you don't get to use the academic disciplines of folklore/history/religious studies/etc. as a club to beat people with non-standard UPGs.  If you have any respect for academic integrity, it's just not going to work, not the way you seem to want it to.

carillion

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 22, 2014, 11:34:48 pm »
Quote from: catja6;159859
You seem to be assuming that a) the primary-source mythology and folklore as we know it is coherent and unified; b) "academic consensus" is coherent and unified; and c) that personal experience and "academic consensus" are, if they appear to "contradict" each other, inherently oppositional. Also, the idea that personal experiences should be irrelevant to the ~mythology as we know it~, and that cannot be incorporated into understandings of that deity/mythology/whatever. But the truth is that from the perspective of a folklorist, a mythologist, a literary scholar, a cultural historian--you know, those academic fields that deal with myth/legend and belief and practice both contemporary and historical--you'd be wrong. You seem to think there's some kind of black-and-white truth that is easily discernible from the myth/folklore, and anything that doesn't fit with that is automatically Wrong. From the academic perspective of both historical scholarship and of the study of contemporary beliefs, that is an incredibly reductive, simplistic, and seriously problematic viewpoint.

First, historical materials, and the interpretation thereof: There is no such thing as "neutral" or "objective." There really, really isn't. We're talking about culture, and human beings are ALWAYS creatures of their culture. That doesn't mean they're automatons mindlessly repeating the existing Big Truths of their time/place; but it does mean that context matters--and often in ways that aren't immediately obvious, both of the person writing the original document AND of the person interpreting that document from a historical/geographical/cultural distance.  And when you're dealing with documents with a long tradition of scholarly analysis, you're going to have all those layers to go through. And, of course, your own assumptions and expectations: what's important? what questions are you going to ask in your analysis? what have we learned from arachaeology, or analysis of economic texts from the period, or a new theory of how discourses of sexuality work in culture, or documentation of violent colonization and raids, or what later folklore tells us about it?

None of this adds up to easy, simplistic answers about something as complicated as the ~nature of the gods.~ Myth, belief, narrative: the general rule is that written material is only going to give you a fragmentary picture of "who the gods are." Even a seemingly coherent text from a single author is--as any scholar who does textual analysis will tell you--is full of lacunae and instabilities and ambiguities and fuzzy areas and water margins. And the author/compiler of a text is ALWAYS going to be informed by his/her context, beliefs, assumptions, etc. As will the people interpreting it. That disclaimer is always there, even if you don't see it: it's, like, a basic tenet of humanities and social sciences academia.

Here's an example. Fairy tales are axiomatic as fairly simple, pure-plot narratives with not so much characters as TYPES. There is Good and there is Evil, and that is obvious, discernible, and will be rewarded and punished accordingly. But even within these seemingly-simple narratives, there is an epic SHIT-TON of stuff going on. WHY is X good, and Y evil? How do we KNOW? This stuff shakes out in wildly complex ways once you actually start poking at the texts. For example: there's a persistent pattern in the Grimms' collection of absolving male characters--particularly neglectful/abusive fathers--of any wrongdoing, and foisting all blame and punishment off onto female figures. (Think of the fathers in "Hansel and Gretel," "The Maiden Without Hands," "Aschenputtel," or "All-Fur.") "Hansel and Gretel," is it a tale of child abuse? or of parents forced into an impossible position due to starvation? Is it a warning against consumption, or overconsumption, or wasting food? Also what about that witch? Is she ALSO the stepmother? What relevance does she have to anxieties about witchcraft? Or of famine? And what about the whole cannibalism thing? Is she pure evil? An initiator? What about that forest? What are some of the class issues happening? Why does the father who abandoned his children get to live happily ever after? And why did the Grimms pick THIS version, instead of the others they had collected? And how does this relate to other folktales about starvation, witches, forests, gingerbread, murderous children, etc. etc. etc. etc.?  

If we can poke critically at the characterization of the proverbially evil fairy tale witch (and proverbially good poor father figure), why on EARTH should we sit on our hands when it comes to beings as complex as GODS? So, like, that academic viewpoint that you seem to think is so coherent, really isn't--not the way you're presenting it. There are too many scholars questioning too many aspects of too many documents.

(It's especially weird that you picked the Morrigan as the hill to die on, considering that scholars have been pointing out things like "patriarchal Christian monkish smear campaign" for YEARS, and even if the texts were written by the most biased monk in the world, the Morrigan STILL comes across as seriously ambiguous and complex. Morag's "UPG" is actually a hell of a lot more academically defensible than the "bloodthirsty sexpot"--which Cuthwin acknowledged!)

When we get into modern UPG, you're on even less firm ground for trumpeting academic readings as inherently superior. I'm a folklorist, and I can assure you that dismissing people's lived experiences out of hand is both academically unsound and ethically dodgy. Like, if RainbowUnicornFarts69 claims to have had an experience with a warm fluffy cotton-candy Morrigan, I might ask some questions about why she thinks it's the Morrigan (given what I know of the lore), but ultimately, it's HER experience, not mine. I'm not obligated to accept her explanation of her experience--any more than I'm required to believe a fundie Christian who claims that his bagels keep burning because Satan possesses his toaster--but it's not my place to assert that there is NO WAY tM (or Satan) would EVER do that and therefore they're WRONG. They're gods, they contain multitudes, and Satan can conceivably burn people's bagels if he wants to--and I sure as shit am not going to tell him different. I can choose to add "burns bagels" to my mental checklist of "stuff Satan does," or not. But the bagel is still burnt.  

If I'm writing academically about beliefs about Satan, this is especially important: I can contextualize the rise of fundie Christian theologies of Satan's influence in everyday life, how it ties into larger philosophical constructs of sin and evil and (lack of) personal responsibility, and all kinds of other stuff. But it's REALLY not my place to assert "the bagel wasn't burnt. Or if it WAS burnt, it totally wasn't Satan because that's stupid." I don't know, man. I'm not here to prove or disprove the existence of Satan (burner of bagels or not). But the fact that this person thinks he burnt their bagel DOES matter, folklorically--those beliefs don't spring from a vacuum.

Academics in the relevant fields don't trumpet their scholarship as, like, the definitive statements on XYZ gods/legends/beliefs--they KNOW BETTER. And if you're dealing with living beliefs and experiences--as people are talking about with UPG--it's especially relevant and important not to dismiss present-day worshippers' experiences. Present experiences might not line up with ~The Lore~, but THE LORE doesn't line up with the Lore, and the academic readings are dealing with a gazillion things that could possibly be affecting The Lore and trying out new ways of reading The Lore and questioning the assumptions of The Lore and all the other readings of The Lore. So academic readings are going to challenge and negotiate fuck with and analyze and pull apart that Lore.

Yei's point that academic material is preferable when you're dealing with religions of people that are dealing with extensive colonialist misrepresentation and racism and appropriation--as with indigenous spiritualities in the modern West--is not at all wrong: academics, as pointed out, at least have a system of peer review and accountability, which understandably makes their work easier to identify as useful among the widespread mass of plastic shamanism popular-press nonsense. (Academia is certainly not free of colonialist white-supremacist bullshit, but again, at least there's a mechanism for calling that out in a way that will affect later work.)  But the work of academics simply cannot, and should not, be the be-all end-all ultimate authority for any spirituality that hopes to live and thrive in the present day among living people.

To sum up: you don't get to use the academic disciplines of folklore/history/religious studies/etc. as a club to beat people with non-standard UPGs.  If you have any respect for academic integrity, it's just not going to work, not the way you seem to want it to.

Do you think the question is about academic integrity? That's interesting. Oh, and I have some knowledge of it: I've been involved in acedemic research most of my adult life so I'm well aware of it's limitations:) I don't want any thing to 'work' though I'm not sure what you mean by that. I had a question so I thought it would be O.K. to ask it.

A couple of people have pointed out that deities may change over time. That's another interesting idea and one reason to inquire of those with personal experience to re-translate the original lore/mythology. Who would know better than those who actually communicate with them?

But all that leaves those without 'connections' is to read the original lore/myths and translations and explorations of said lore/myths. Should someone look into this with the a priori presumption that given such weakness in source and translation as you have pointed out, that the only accurate portrait one can get is from someone in direct contact? What if you don't know anybody that is or cannot get a hold of them? Do you walk away and drop that interest as inherently flawed therefore useless to pursue?

Also, What if the discarnate entity someone is in touch with is not who they think it is? How would they go about verifying the identity? It has been suggested that they seek out others who have a UPG with the deity they assume they are in contact with and 'compare notes' as it were. With a number of people having experiences *different* from the (at the time) understanding of the deities/spirits/lore/mythology , it becomes even more difficult for someone to know where to go for information .

Some people may be in contact with a deity that has radically changed over time, it will naturally not agree with the mythos connected with it. I am not the same person in many fundamental way that I was when I was 20 so unless deity is unchanging, then barely anything written about them will be at all accurate.

I don't think it's a simple question. But I think it's an important one.

If someone comes along and says " I think I'm in contact with A,B,C but I'm not sure, how do I find out? " and the answer is " You can read the original lore/mythology but with the understanding that it's flawed and may be totally incorrect and mistranslated or you can go to Sue over there who talks to a deity that sounds like the one you described" then well and good. Sue will provide the answer.

In which case the literature is pretty useless except as an academic exercise to be pursued for any inherent interest it has for you.

But if the literature isn't useless, and has been contributed to over hundreds of years by many people, I wonder if it's wise to neglect it in favour of Sue's interpretation?

That was at the heart of my question. There is no value judgement involved.

I do realize that at the end of the day it's for the person interested to decide. But it's a tough choice these days. Sometimes too many possible answers is as confusing as too few.

AineLlewellyn

• Journeyman
  • 2020 resolution? goth
    • View Profile
    • of the Other People
  • Religion: New Religious Trad/New Gods (Otherfaith)
  • Preferred Pronouns: He/Him They/Them
« Reply #37 on: September 22, 2014, 11:42:26 pm »
Quote from: carillion;159861
But if the literature isn't useless, and has been contributed to over hundreds of years by many people, I wonder if it's wise to neglect it in favour of Sue's interpretation?

You're continually setting up a false dichotomy that's been addressed by multiple posters as being a false dichotomy. Why do you keep insisting on it being an 'either/or' situation when it's actually a 'this AND that' situation?
« Last Edit: September 22, 2014, 11:43:34 pm by ainellewellyn »

carillion

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 23, 2014, 12:30:42 am »
Quote from: ainellewellyn;159862
You're continually setting up a false dichotomy that's been addressed by multiple posters as being a false dichotomy. Why do you keep insisting on it being an 'either/or' situation when it's actually a 'this AND that' situation?

You mean such as *this* sentence from my opening post? "The best answer is to both read and investigate one's experiences".

I set up no initial dichotomies, but if they appear as the discussion progresses then such is the nature of the question.

catja6

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 23, 2014, 02:43:03 am »
Quote from: carillion;159863

I set up no initial dichotomies, but if they appear as the discussion progresses then such is the nature of the question.

You ARE setting up dichotomies--the very questions you're asking ASSUME "yes/no" and "either/or." That is NOT how it works. Which is what everyone here has been trying to tell you. You keep invoking academic sources--didn't you say somewhere you were a scientist? There are completely different methodologies and questions and assumptions and expectations within humanities scholarship.  So no, you aren't actually familiar with how academic research works *in these fields*.

This is NOT a question of "the literature isn't useless": no one has said anything even remotely like that. You really seem to WANT there to be someone claiming that the academic sources are useless so you can, as far as I can tell, complain about how people having experiences that don't precisely conform to what you think you already know are just too hard to understaaaaand. Everyone here is telling you that academic sources are NOT useless, they are just LIMITED--which academics in the relevant fields, like me, have been saying the whole damn time. We're talking about living worshippers of living gods--in a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT cultural context from that of ~the Lore~. It would be absolutely absurd to expect people to have EXACTLY THE SAME kinds of experiences when there's such a gigantic difference in context, as any folklorist could have told you.

From a practical pagan perspective, of course it makes sense to use existing texts/scholarship as identification/reality testing/source of inspiration/idea generator/whatever. But that stuff is plainly and obviously only in and of itself going to be able to give you a limited and fragmentary picture of what that god was considered to be like (by some writer in some time/place with some agenda) Back Then. It isn't going to do much for you NOW without some work on your part--which of necessity includes sorting through your own thoughts/feelings/experiences AND ALSO other people's reported thoughts/feelings/experiences to figure out what makes sense to you.

I'm not sure why it's so hard for you to accept that other people have ideas and thoughts and experiences with deities that are not 100% compliant with the comparatively little we know about any pagan religious culture, and that a lot of the people here don't just dismiss those experiences out of hand. Even in info-heavy cultures like Greece and Rome, all the reams of primary sources and interpretations of said sources are just a tiny drop in the bucket compared to what the actual experience of being a worshipper of the gods back in the day was like.

Given all that, the real question you should be asking is why it's so important to you to make "academic vs. UPG" an either/or proposition that requires you to "choose" one or the other.

carillion

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 23, 2014, 04:26:29 am »
Quote from: catja6;159866
You ARE setting up dichotomies--the very questions you're asking ASSUME "yes/no" and "either/or." That is NOT how it works. Which is what everyone here has been trying to tell you. You keep invoking academic sources--didn't you say somewhere you were a scientist? There are completely different methodologies and questions and assumptions and expectations within humanities scholarship.  So no, you aren't actually familiar with how academic research works *in these fields*.

This is NOT a question of "the literature isn't useless": no one has said anything even remotely like that. You really seem to WANT there to be someone claiming that the academic sources are useless so you can, as far as I can tell, complain about how people having experiences that don't precisely conform to what you think you already know are just too hard to understaaaaand. Everyone here is telling you that academic sources are NOT useless, they are just LIMITED--which academics in the relevant fields, like me, have been saying the whole damn time. We're talking about living worshippers of living gods--in a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT cultural context from that of ~the Lore~. It would be absolutely absurd to expect people to have EXACTLY THE SAME kinds of experiences when there's such a gigantic difference in context, as any folklorist could have told you.

From a practical pagan perspective, of course it makes sense to use existing texts/scholarship as identification/reality testing/source of inspiration/idea generator/whatever. But that stuff is plainly and obviously only in and of itself going to be able to give you a limited and fragmentary picture of what that god was considered to be like (by some writer in some time/place with some agenda) Back Then. It isn't going to do much for you NOW without some work on your part--which of necessity includes sorting through your own thoughts/feelings/experiences AND ALSO other people's reported thoughts/feelings/experiences to figure out what makes sense to you.

I'm not sure why it's so hard for you to accept that other people have ideas and thoughts and experiences with deities that are not 100% compliant with the comparatively little we know about any pagan religious culture, and that a lot of the people here don't just dismiss those experiences out of hand. Even in info-heavy cultures like Greece and Rome, all the reams of primary sources and interpretations of said sources are just a tiny drop in the bucket compared to what the actual experience of being a worshipper of the gods back in the day was like.

Given all that, the real question you should be asking is why it's so important to you to make "academic vs. UPG" an either/or proposition that requires you to "choose" one or the other.

You know what's really strange to me in all this verbiage? People don't seem to have taken into account what I've actually written. I have never suggested it's an either or situation .Indeed, that was the geneis *of* the question. And yet yourself and others keep insisting that I am trying to do something I'm not.

It's not a dichotomous question. It's a 'what's a good approach' question and so includes a number of possible variables, yes, no,maybe ,mix and match, proceed with caution, perhaps in some situations and not in others, depends on the day, the the time ,the subject and so forth.

If you don't feel such a question should be asked, just say so and spare your fingertips all that typing.And if for you such a question is not important, ignore it.

And by the way, before I decided on the sciences, my work was in ancient languages and literature. So yes, I do know about research in the humanities. Certainly not as much as you, but good for a degree at least:).
« Last Edit: September 23, 2014, 04:27:48 am by carillion »

AineLlewellyn

• Journeyman
  • 2020 resolution? goth
    • View Profile
    • of the Other People
  • Religion: New Religious Trad/New Gods (Otherfaith)
  • Preferred Pronouns: He/Him They/Them
« Reply #41 on: September 23, 2014, 05:14:43 am »
Quote from: carillion;159873
You know what's really strange to me in all this verbiage? People don't seem to have taken into account what I've actually written.

I'm going to quote just one part of what you wrote. A different part than I quoted in my original reply to you, which also displayed that you were setting up a dichotomy. And I'm sure others can find more examples of what you really did say. If you didn't mean to say it, well, that's nice, but that doesn't mean you magically didn't say things you did. Intent doesn't help much in these sorts of situations.

Quote from: carillion;159861
If someone comes along and says " I think I'm in contact with A,B,C but I'm not sure, how do I find out? " and the answer is " You can read the original lore/mythology but with the understanding that it's flawed and may be totally incorrect and mistranslated or you can go to Sue over there who talks to a deity that sounds like the one you described" then well and good. Sue will provide the answer.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2014, 05:16:26 am by ainellewellyn »

Darkhawk

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Suns in her Branches
  • Religion: An American Werewolf in the Akhet; Kemetic; Feri; Imaginary Baltic Heathen; Discordian; UU; CoX; Etc
  • Preferred Pronouns: any of he, they, she
« Reply #42 on: September 23, 2014, 08:33:46 am »
Quote from: catja6;159866
I'm not sure why it's so hard for you to accept that other people have ideas and thoughts and experiences with deities that are not 100% compliant with the comparatively little we know about any pagan religious culture, and that a lot of the people here don't just dismiss those experiences out of hand.

I would say that someone who comes out with something totally uncompliant with the surviving lore generally gets considered to be something of a crackpot at best.  (I mean, I did make reference to W*cc*n W*d* in another thread, and I hope that's enough obscurity to stop him egosurfing in if he still does that.)  They'll generally, from what I've seen, be nudged towards "That's probably a wrong number" as an interpretation, at least in discussions in places that I would consider worthwhile.

But, of course, that was explicitly not the case in the supposed provoking example, where misconceptions about the content of the lore were corrected with direct references to mythology, and misconceptions about modern practice were corrected with personal experience.
as the water grinds the stone
we rise and fall
as our ashes turn to dust
we shine like stars    - Covenant, "Bullet"

carillion

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 23, 2014, 03:03:35 pm »
Quote from: ainellewellyn;159876
I'm going to quote just one part of what you wrote. A different part than I quoted in my original reply to you, which also displayed that you were setting up a dichotomy. And I'm sure others can find more examples of what you really did say. If you didn't mean to say it, well, that's nice, but that doesn't mean you magically didn't say things you did. Intent doesn't help much in these sorts of situations.

A person can pull a quote out of context to serve their view on just about anything. It appears you have decided this is a dichotomous question and anything else I write which does not confirm this for you will just be ignored.  I can only assume then for you,this *is* question of only two choices.

But that was not the intent (or the wording - see my previous answer to you) of the inquiry.

carillion

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 23, 2014, 04:16:57 pm »
Quote from: Darkhawk;159886
I would say that someone who comes out with something totally uncompliant with the surviving lore generally gets considered to be something of a crackpot at best.  (I mean, I did make reference to W*cc*n W*d* in another thread, and I hope that's enough obscurity to stop him egosurfing in if he still does that.)  They'll generally, from what I've seen, be nudged towards "That's probably a wrong number" as an interpretation, at least in discussions in places that I would consider worthwhile.

But, of course, that was explicitly not the case in the supposed provoking example, where misconceptions about the content of the lore were corrected with direct references to mythology, and misconceptions about modern practice were corrected with personal experience.

Yes. This.  

There are so many discrepancies and down right disagreements in both the literature and in people's reported experiences that it seems hard to get at some basic defining characteristics of deity, experiences , practice etc.

If one looks at something like witch craft, you can find people like Geertz duking it out with Thomas . Kieckhefer came around to Ginzburg's view but only after heated debates.
So someone can point a seeker towards one of these sources and that person will come out of it with a particular viewpoint which may not agree with even the general experiencial consensus (cue forum fisticuffs).

When I came here, I was surprised to find Cunningham well spoken of . There was a time when the mention of his name caused much teeth grinding and eye-rolling. But then 'Ecclectic Wicca' was not respected at all . Indeed on some U.K. forums, people were told that only lineaged people attached to a group could 'speak' for Wicca. Now,Eclectic Wicca is accepted and the catagory of 'British Traditional Wicca' seperates the lineaged from the eclectics ( at least in North America ).

The character of the Morrigan seems to have changed over this time as well . And perhaps that's because more people have had experiences that differed from the mythological portraits and translations and that has caused a seismic shift on how people think she *should* be perceived.

Just seeing the changes in the decade (more or less) I've been away makes me ask myself where on earth I would start if I started investigating pagan practises and deity today.

There is a practically encyclopedic amount of reading which one could undertake first but everybody needs a place to start. It's much easier to go to a forum and simply take people's experiences as illuminating the 'true' nature of a deity.  It's certainly easier than doing the readings on the Ulster Cycle or the Book of Leinster and it's various scholarly notes or trying to wade through all that has been written or researched on the Tuatha De Danann . I did that .  And except for the pleasure of the read, it seems there was not much to learn there.

Little of people's direct experience of these people/deities agrees with what I read. The only place I seem to be 'safe' is in Ancient Rome, there are fewer squabbles about the deities there:) and Latin is a fun language anyway so I'm glad I have that.

So I'm kind of coming out of a time capsule and finding things quite different which is why I asked the question. It was not meant to be a divisive question and it certainly was a sincere question as I've been meaning to take up my studies again but now I'm not so sure.

I've been meaning to take up my studies again but now I'm not so sure.

Tags: