collapse

* Recent Posts

Author Topic: The logic of including Loki as an honoured part of the pantheon?  (Read 17210 times)

Mark C.

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
The logic of including Loki as an honoured part of the pantheon?
« on: September 02, 2014, 06:58:16 am »
It’s been a long time since I posted here, but I’m a regular reader. I thought it may be a good conversation starter to look at the logic of making Loki a legitimate part of the Heathen pantheon. To make things a little more clear, what I mean is the logic of including Loki along side Odin etc.

The logical argument I’d like to put forward as a conversation started goes as follows:

If one respects and reveres Odin, then it should follow that his advice and guidance is something you would choose to follow. Why would you revere a god whose advice you did not value?

In the Havamal we have Odin’s advice. The Havamal state the following:  

“To his friend a man a friend shall prove,
To him and the friend of his friend;
But never a man shall friendship make
With one of his foeman's friends.”

Additionally:

“If evil you know, as evil proclaim it,
And make no friendship with foes.”

We know from the lore that, eventually, Loki was a “foeman” of the gods. How could you be friends with a person who has orchestrated the death of your son? The gods restrained and tortured Loki as a result (not something you do to a friend). It should therefore be clear that by the end of the mythic cycle Odin and Loki were foes i.e. Loki ensures the death of Balder etc / Odin restrains and tortures Loki.

We can see from the events of the mythic cycle that Loki and Odin are far from being friends!

Odin would not look kindly on you choosing to be friends with Loki (or any of his associates) because he is Odin’s “foeman” because he himself states, “But never a man shall friendship make with one of his foeman's friends”.

So I get how one could logical chose to side with Loki and reject the Aesir/ Vanir, but I don’t see how one could logically square the circle of stating they align themselves with both Loki and the Aesir/ Vanir? To do so it would seem you are ignoring the advice of the deity you say you honour.

In human terms, would you choose to have a relationship with someone who honoured your child’s killer? Assuming you would not, why would Odin be different? And why would he want you to ignore his own advice?

For the record, while I have a strong interest in Norse mythology and believe it is a sound allegory for something deeper (our relationships with the world around us, the relationship between our conscious and subconscious minds, our relationships with each other, a way of phrasing the questions around of the mystery of existence and the possible causes  thereof, etc) but I don’t see the gods as literal anthropomorphic figures. “Loki / Odin said it was OK for me” arguments therefore don’t hold any water for me personally. To me the gods are characters my cutural ansestors used to address the above issues.

What I’m asking for is information on how it is logically possible to honour what would seem to be two mutually exclusive divinities: Loki / The Aesir.

I’m OK with people ignoring the logic because “they just do” and I’m not trying to say others are “wrong”. I just want to pose the question of how that logical contradiction can be addressed by those who see Loki as honoured part of the pantheon?

Mark C.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2014, 07:02:03 am by Mark C. »

Jack

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • Skyhold
  • Religion: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/he
Re: The logic of including Loki as an honoured part of the pantheon?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2014, 01:32:34 am »
Quote from: Mark C.;157958
If one respects and reveres Odin, then it should follow that his advice and guidance is something you would choose to follow. Why would you revere a god whose advice you did not value?

In the Havamal we have Odin’s advice.

Assuming one believes the Havamal to be the literal word of Odin, that theoretically makes sense. Not everyone does.

I mean, hell, Odin doesn't even take his own advice:

A measure of wisdom each man shall have,
But never too much let him know;
Let no man the fate before him see,
For so is he freest from sorrow.

We know from the lore that, eventually, Loki was a “foeman” of the gods. How could you be friends with a person who has orchestrated the death of your son?

Assuming, of course, that you are sticking with the version of Baldr's death that blames Loki, and not another version.

The gods restrained and tortured Loki as a result (not something you do to a friend).

Depends on your friends and your kinks. ;P

But technically the problem in the Lokasenna was that he was a shitty party guest. Even Wikipedia notes: "However, Lokasenna does not directly state that Loki's binding is as a consequence of the killing of Baldr. This is explicitly stated only in Snorri's Prose Edda."

It should therefore be clear that by the end of the mythic cycle Odin and Loki were foes i.e. Loki ensures the death of Balder etc / Odin restrains and tortures Loki.

For definitions of "clear" where you're making the assumptions you outlined above, which many people do not.

Odin would not look kindly on you choosing to be friends with Loki (or any of his associates) because he is Odin’s “foeman” because he himself states, “But never a man shall friendship make with one of his foeman's friends”.

Odin can look at me however he wants, but he's the god of sneakypants and lawyers. I'd be way more worried about Tyr's Disappointed Face than Odin's.

If I worked with Tyr, which I don't.

So I get how one could logical chose to side with Loki and reject the Aesir/ Vanir, but I don’t see how one could logically square the circle of stating they align themselves with both Loki and the Aesir/ Vanir? To do so it would seem you are ignoring the advice of the deity you say you honour.

Eh, the Havalmal also says:

The speech of a maiden should no man trust
nor the words which a woman says;
for their hearts were shaped on a whirling wheel
and falsehood fixed in their breasts.

So I ignore a lot of it.

In human terms, would you choose to have a relationship with someone who honoured your child’s killer? Assuming you would not, why would Odin be different? And why would he want you to ignore his own advice?

One could turn this around and argue why you would choose to have a relationship with someone who tortured your god's children, I suppose. (To be immature: Odin started it, and Loki kept showing up to do things anyway. Clearly Loki had a compelling reason to put up with Odin after the theft and binding of his children; I'm not gonna argue with him.)

“Loki / Odin said it was OK for me” arguments therefore don’t hold any water for me personally. To me the gods are characters my cutural ansestors used to address the above issues.

Well that's sure convenient of you, to rule out which theological experiences you find acceptable.

If the gods are characters, then the Havamal isn't literally Odin's word so... one could argue that it's late and also really, the literal word of Odin? Nope, not happening. And therefore we don't have to place any weight on it because it's not literally the advice of Odin, because Odin's made up and the points don't matter.

What I’m asking for is information on how it is logically possible to honour what would seem to be two mutually exclusive divinities: Loki / The Aesir.

I raise the beer and yell "Hail, Loki! Hail, Odin! Hail to the blood brothers!"

It's really easy!

I’m OK with people ignoring the logic because “they just do” and I’m not trying to say others are “wrong”. I just want to pose the question of how that logical contradiction can be addressed by those who see Loki as honoured part of the pantheon?

In fairness I am more of a 'Rokkatruar' (though I don't really like that word) who puts up with Odin and Thor coming round rather than an Asatruar who honors Loki. I'm like 95% sure I'm not your target audience. But hey, you're here on the board, so I'm replying anyway. ;)
Hail Mara, Lady of Good Things!
"The only way to cope with something deadly serious is to try to treat it a little lightly." -Madeleine L'Engle

Redfaery

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2014, 08:06:46 am »
In the Havamal we have Odin’s advice. The Havamal state the following

But if the gods are just metaphors, as you believe, why does it matter? I work with Loki whenever he pops up because I'm damn well not going to tell him to go shove off! Would you tell Loki to go away and risk him getting really mad at you?
KARMA: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Sarah

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2014, 08:22:59 am »
Quote from: Redfaery;158023
Would you tell Loki to go away and risk him getting really mad at you?

Yes, consenting to an interaction because you are afraid of the consequences otherwise is not consent and is a boundary erosion. I wont work with gods who don't respect my boundaries. Which is not to say I would never work with Loki, (although its highly unlikely for other reasons,) I just wouldn't work with Loki  or any god if they presented it as "work with me or there will be nasty consequences"
Knowing when to use a shovel is what being a witch is all about. Nanny Ogg, Witches Abroad

Redfaery

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2014, 08:39:29 am »
Quote from: Jake_;158024
Yes, consenting to an interaction because you are afraid of the consequences otherwise is not consent and is a boundary erosion.

I apologize if my reply sounded as if it were meant to apply to everyone. However, you are correct in that I don't have boundaries with the gods and I can't apply consent in the same way as I would with mundane interactions.

My head is too open for me to deny anyone entry. I'm fortunate that I have Sarasvati-sama acting as a bouncer and ejecting the unwanted guests.
KARMA: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Sage

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://sageandstarshine.wordpress.com
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2014, 08:46:22 am »
Quote from: Jake_;158024
Yes, consenting to an interaction because you are afraid of the consequences otherwise is not consent and is a boundary erosion. I wont work with gods who don't respect my boundaries. Which is not to say I would never work with Loki, (although its highly unlikely for other reasons,) I just wouldn't work with Loki  or any god if they presented it as "work with me or there will be nasty consequences"

Same here, and I am starting a tangential relationship with Loki. (More that someone I care about is a Loki's kid and I might as well acknowledge that He's hanging around.)

With the caveat that my experience is limited to my own and the gods do whatever They will: Loki has not seemed interested in shoving Himself either on me or my friend. He's been fully welcomed into my friend's home and, as she tells me, is often present when we're together. I think this welcoming means a lot to Him. Consent's important and if I thought Loki were disrespecting our consent then I'd actually have a problem with Him. As it stands, He hasn't, so I haven't told him to buzz off.

However, like Jack I'm not Asatruar or even remotely heathen and I'm caring less and less about "the lore" as time goes on anyway. I don't live my life by the Havamal. I live it by a complicated web of modern American identities and my own conscience. Loki's in my life right now and things are good because of it.
Maker, though the darkness comes upon me,
I shall embrace the light. I shall weather the storm.
I shall endure.
What you have created, no one can tear asunder.

-Canticle of Trials 1:10

Sage and Starshine (my spiritual blog): last updated 2/25.
Friday Otherfaith Blogging: last updated 2/27
Join the Emboatening Crew over on Kiva! Emboatening the boatless since Opet 2013.

Aiwelin

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2014, 10:59:08 am »
It’s been a long time since I posted here, but I’m a regular reader. I thought it may be a good conversation starter to look at the logic of making Loki a legitimate part of the Heathen pantheon. To make things a little more clear, what I mean is the logic of including Loki along side Odin etc.

Well, I am almost certainly also not your target audience, given that I honor neither Odhinn nor Loki.  But I've seen some clash between Loki followers and those who generally dislike him, so maybe I can help shed some light.

First of all, there's this line, spoken by Loki, from the Lokasenna:
"Remember, Odin, in the olden days
What blood-brothers we were:
You would never have dreamed of drinking ale
Unless it was brought for us both."

Which implies that, at least at one point, it wasn't acceptable to toast or offer to Odhinn without also doing so for Loki.

Then you have the issues of Snorri's unreliability - a lot of what he wrote was heavily Christianized.  He states in the prologue to the Prose Edda that the Gods are just revered humans descended from a king of Troy, as well as throwing Noah and the great flood in there.  I don't trust that guy to give me an accurate story about Loki and Baldur's interaction (and I think some scholars even contest the existence of Baldur prior to Snorri?  Like he might be a Jesus-type insert).

Ultimately, it makes little difference to me since I honor neither; and honestly I haven't ever been able to see why it makes a difference to anyone besides those who are actually working with both deities - especially someone like yourself who views them primarily as metaphors.
Devotee of Nerthus
Worshipper of Germanic Deities
Now blogging on Patheos Pagan!  Check out Heathen at Heart

In the Nebraska-Iowa area?  Come check out Prairie Shadow Protogrove, ADF!
Ár nDraíocht Féin
The Troth

Juniperberry

• Grand Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2014, 12:27:20 pm »

Personally, I see the gods as abstractions.

There's a Calvin and Hobbes story line in which Calvin creates his personified good side in the transmogrifier. Things go really well until Calvin and Good Calvin get in an argument, because Good Calvin has a bad thought and evaporates. Calvin explains to Hobbes that Good Calvin can't exist personified, and only works as an abstraction.

That's how I see the gods. Because in anthropomorphic form they just can't exist without human contradiction and human limitation. Which isn't a bad thing, I think it's absolutely worthwhile to weigh the philosophical questions that personified deities pose, but I don't believe that that's their natural state of being.

I think we can look at gods like Tyr and say, here is what absolute justice is, and how it exists in the abstract. Then we can take that same god and say, ok, this is what absolute justice becomes when it exists in the hearts and hands of people. By examining the latter, through myth, what we're really saying is, This is our relationship with Tyr and not this is who Tyr is.

I mean, our relationships with the gods are just like that anyway. Thor apparently spends a ton of time battling the storm, but Mankind will still go outside and dance in the rain. And I think our relationships are like that because the reality of man (from a heathen perspective) is the balance of absolutes on earth. We live in mythical Middle Garden, for goodness sake! How much clearer is that? ;)

Calvin's good side and bad side are opposing abstractions, and yet they coexist in a fragile balance personified within Calvin. Odin and Loki are opposing abstractions (in some views), and yet they coexist in our physical reality in a fragile balance. Our advantage, as man, is to find the harmony of that in Midgard.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2014, 12:30:45 pm by Juniperberry »
The pace of progress in artificial intelligence (I’m not referring to narrow AI) is incredibly fast. [...] The risk of something seriously dangerous happening is in the five year timeframe. 10 years at most.--Elon Musk

I am in the camp that is concerned about super intelligence," [Bill] Gates wrote. "First the machines will do a lot of jobs for us and not be super intelligent. That should be positive if we manage it well. A few decades after that though the intelligence is strong enough to be a concern. I agree with Elon Musk and some others on this and don\'t understand why some people are not concerned."

Mark C.

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2014, 06:55:15 pm »
Thanks for the answers everyone!

But if the gods are just metaphors, as you believe, why does it matter??

Quote from: Aiwelin;158037
Ultimately, it makes little difference to me since I honor neither; and honestly I haven't ever been able to see why it makes a difference to anyone besides those who are actually working with both deities - especially someone like yourself who views them primarily as metaphors.

Because the Havamal is part of the mythical totality which defines the “metaphor” of Odin. The Havalmal is not the literal words of a god: They are the mythic words of a god. The greater metaphor unravels if it is inconsistent with itself. Odin is Odin. If Odin becomes something else through my ignoring certain parts of him (as defined by the wider mythology; including the words attributed to him in the Havalmal), then “Odin” is not Odin and the wider mythos falls apart. It unravels, for me, if I choose to reinvent it by accepting some bits and ignoring others. I see the greater mythology as a valuable tapestry, which is worth far more that any individual thread. The tapestry is based on how the threads connect with one another and is more then the sum of its parts. I want the tapestry, not the unravelled individual threads.

I work with Loki whenever he pops up because I'm damn well not going to tell him to go shove off! Would you tell Loki to go away and risk him getting really mad at you?

Well no, because I don’t believe that Loki exists as an individual entity. I would, however, seek to avoid the precautionary tale that I feel he represents. He consistently reacts in the moment and is fuelled only by self-interest (whether the eventual action results in good or harm; the motivation is always self-interest). He’s not a character I would seek to emulate, because actions have consequences and, as the tale of Loki makes clear, the momentum of your actions will result in your fate. I’d rather have a character like Loki mad at me than pleased with me.

Quote from: Aiwelin;158037
First of all, there's this line, spoken by Loki, from the Lokasenna:

"Remember, Odin, in the olden days
What blood-brothers we were:
You would never have dreamed of drinking ale
Unless it was brought for us both."

Which implies that, at least at one point, it wasn't acceptable to toast or offer to Odhinn without also doing so for Loki.

I think that’s a bit of a leap. The poem states that Loki and Odin agreed to drink together or not at all. It says nothing about the nature of Blots in times past (which, as the name suggests, were done with blood as opposed to mead / ale anyway). I get what you are saying, but I don’t think we can draw any firm conclusions from that single line. Especially when there is zero in the way of evidence that suggest the two were sacrificed to as a pair at any time; but there is plenty that tells us Odin was sacrificed to individually. And there is zero that says Loki was ever sacrificed to.

Quote from: Juniperberry;158041
Odin and Loki are opposing abstractions (in some views), and yet they coexist in our physical reality in a fragile balance. Our advantage, as man, is to find the harmony of that in Midgard.

I like that thinking generally! Interesting! However, is there anything that suggests the goal of Heathenry was the encouragement of balance between opposing entities? The Aesir / Vanir would seem to be very much the ones the people of the past aligned themselves with. There is nothing, that I am aware of, that suggests that what was really desired was balance between Thor and Jotuns, for example. You called on Thor to keep the nasty things that would kill you away from you and yours. You didn’t want to be equidistant from them both.

It was not a balance between Odin and Loki that was desired. When Loki was acting in accordance with the desires of Odin (or Thor), then it is not “balance” but what Odin desired. When Loki acts outside the desires of Odin, he is threatened until he complies (self-interest again), and eventually he is punished.

Loki is like the fire in the hearth. A potentially dangerous thing controlled for the greater good. When he is freed from the constraints of the hearth, the house burns and others suffer. We don’t want a balance where the house is only burnt a little bit. We want the fire kept in its place. It seems to me Loki is likewise most “useful” when kept in his place. Again, this is not balance, but Odin calling the shots.

To date, all those who have answered don’t seem to have any problem with the seeming contradiction because they look at Loki independently from the mythology of which he is part (i.e. “the mythology can’t be relied upon” or “I ignore that bit”) or Loki is honoured independently  (i.e. “I’m with Loki and I don’t concern myself with the wider pantheon”).

To return to what I originally asked, is there anyone who looks toward a mythological consistent Odin and Loki, and who accepts the wider mythos as a whole, and yet who still finds themselves able to honour both Loki and Odin?

It occurs that this may be why recons dislike Loki so much? And why those who place greater emphasis on “personal interaction” (#) with Loki don’t dislike him?

The Loki of the recons in part of a wider whole. He is defined by that whole and hence honouring him and the Aesir / Vanir is logical inconsistent. The Loki of UPG is not defined by that wider whole, but by personal experience, and therefore it is possible for that Loki to be logically consistent with honouring Odin too. The two Lokis are defined by different things: Lore / Personal Belief.

Mark C.

(#) – Speech marks are to clarify my position of the gods as metaphor, and are not intended to cause offence to those who take that interaction as being genuine.

AineLlewellyn

• Journeyman
  • 2020 resolution? goth
    • View Profile
    • of the Other People
  • Religion: New Religious Trad/New Gods (Otherfaith)
  • Preferred Pronouns: He/Him They/Them
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2014, 07:20:06 pm »
Quote from: Mark C.;158062
I see the greater mythology as a valuable tapestry, which is worth far more that any individual thread. The tapestry is based on how the threads connect with one another and is more then the sum of its parts. I want the tapestry, not the unravelled individual threads.

So you accept this part - which Jack quoted above:

The speech of a maiden should no man trust
nor the words which a woman says;
for their hearts were shaped on a whirling wheel
and falsehood fixed in their breasts.

I'm just trying to understand you clearly.

Aiwelin

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2014, 07:28:16 pm »
To date, all those who have answered don’t seem to have any problem with the seeming contradiction because they look at Loki independently from the mythology of which he is part (i.e. “the mythology can’t be relied upon” or “I ignore that bit”) or Loki is honoured independently  (i.e. “I’m with Loki and I don’t concern myself with the wider pantheon”).

So in your vast tapestry of myth, do you also accept that Odhinn is the son of Thor who was the son of a king of Troy (which is something Snorri says)?  Despite that it contradicts other parts of the tapestry?  The fact is that our remaining mythology is not internally consistent; so if a lack of consistency bothers you, I don't think these are the myths you're looking for.

To return to what I originally asked, is there anyone who looks toward a mythological consistent Odin and Loki, and who accepts the wider mythos as a whole, and yet who still finds themselves able to honour both Loki and Odin?

It occurs that this may be why recons dislike Loki so much? And why those who place greater emphasis on “personal interaction” (#) with Loki don’t dislike him?

I think the great dislike of Loki from a large portion of Edda-thumping Heathens generally comes from their willingness to transfer the infallibility of their former religious book to their new one.  It's rather culturally ingrained in Americans of many regions to take religious works of literature very seriously, rather than seeing them for the human-written stories full of contradiction that they are.

The Loki of the recons in part of a wider whole. He is defined by that whole and hence honouring him and the Aesir / Vanir is logical inconsistent. The Loki of UPG is not defined by that wider whole, but by personal experience, and therefore it is possible for that Loki to be logically consistent with honouring Odin too. The two Lokis are defined by different things: Lore / Personal Belief..

By the way, I'd also like to point out that I think it's funny you're placing Odhinn and Loki on such an either/or continuum, while continually lumping the Aesir and Vanir together.  According to the lore, there's a decent amount of bad blood there as well.
Devotee of Nerthus
Worshipper of Germanic Deities
Now blogging on Patheos Pagan!  Check out Heathen at Heart

In the Nebraska-Iowa area?  Come check out Prairie Shadow Protogrove, ADF!
Ár nDraíocht Féin
The Troth

Juniperberry

• Grand Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2014, 08:23:02 pm »

I like that thinking generally! Interesting! However, is there anything that suggests the goal of Heathenry was the encouragement of balance between opposing entities?

A large emphasis is often placed on frith (peace)/maintaining frith (peace). Obviously archeo-heathens weren't pacifists, so I don't think it's a "turn the other cheek" sense of peace, but more in the sense of maintaining harmony and balance.

Establishing a balance between opposing entities can also be seen in instances such as Freyr marrying a giantess, harmony being established between the giantess Skadi and the Aesir, balance being restored in Skadi's separation from Njord, and finally, balance and harmony upended (and ultimately restored) at Ragnarok.  

There is nothing, that I am aware of, that suggests that what was really desired was balance between Thor and Jotuns, for example.

You don't want drought and you don't want a flood. You want a balanced amount of rainfall, snowfall, etc.

It was not a balance between Odin and Loki that was desired. When Loki was acting in accordance with the desires of Odin (or Thor), then it is not “balance” but what Odin desired. When Loki acts outside the desires of Odin, he is threatened until he complies (self-interest again), and eventually he is punished.

What does Odin desire?

Loki is like the fire in the hearth. A potentially dangerous thing controlled for the greater good. When he is freed from the constraints of the hearth, the house burns and others suffer. We don’t want a balance where the house is only burnt a little bit. We want the fire kept in its place. It seems to me Loki is likewise most “useful” when kept in his place. Again, this is not balance, but Odin calling the shots.

Well, isn't fire in the hearth balanced and harmonious? It isn't wild and it isn't absent.

So did Loki inspire the mythology or did the mythology inspire Loki?

More later.
The pace of progress in artificial intelligence (I’m not referring to narrow AI) is incredibly fast. [...] The risk of something seriously dangerous happening is in the five year timeframe. 10 years at most.--Elon Musk

I am in the camp that is concerned about super intelligence," [Bill] Gates wrote. "First the machines will do a lot of jobs for us and not be super intelligent. That should be positive if we manage it well. A few decades after that though the intelligence is strong enough to be a concern. I agree with Elon Musk and some others on this and don\'t understand why some people are not concerned."

Darkhawk

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Suns in her Branches
  • Religion: An American Werewolf in the Akhet; Kemetic; Feri; Imaginary Baltic Heathen; Discordian; UU; CoX; Etc
  • Preferred Pronouns: any of he, they, she
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2014, 09:36:37 pm »

Mmm. The first Asatruar I got to know well was an Icelandic woman whose parents placed her under Loki's protection in the cradle.  I will admit that this gives me an odd perspective on the whole "No true heathen/recon/Asatruar would honour Loki" thing, but I like my porridge with apples.
as the water grinds the stone
we rise and fall
as our ashes turn to dust
we shine like stars    - Covenant, "Bullet"

Jack

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • Skyhold
  • Religion: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/he
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2014, 11:07:42 pm »
I noticed you didn't bother to reply to me at all, so I hope you don't mind that I'm still going to reply to what you said. ;)

Because the Havamal is part of the mythical totality which defines the “metaphor” of Odin. The Havalmal is not the literal words of a god: They are the mythic words of a god. The greater metaphor unravels if it is inconsistent with itself. Odin is Odin. If Odin becomes something else through my ignoring certain parts of him (as defined by the wider mythology; including the words attributed to him in the Havalmal), then “Odin” is not Odin and the wider mythos falls apart. It unravels, for me, if I choose to reinvent it by accepting some bits and ignoring others. I see the greater mythology as a valuable tapestry, which is worth far more that any individual thread. The tapestry is based on how the threads connect with one another and is more then the sum of its parts. I want the tapestry, not the unravelled individual threads.

Aiwelin already addressed this, but the "greater metaphor" is already inconsistent with itself. Odin gives advice in the Havamal that he does not take. He is the man Freya cries and searches for, or he isn't. Loki helped murder Baldr or he didn't; he was the one giantess who refused to cry, or he wasn't. Various myths opine differently as to how the mythic history went down, and there are those who argue that the gods are not even gods at all but ancestors. How are you deciding which parts of the tapestry are "true"? Because clearly you're valuing some of them over others.

I mean, come on, the lore calls Odin 'Evil-worker' (Bolverk). Odin calls himself that in Grimnismol. Is that part of the tapestry you accept? That Odin works evil? Gosh, why would aaaaaaanyone want to ally themselves with an evil-worker?

Well no, because I don’t believe that Loki exists as an individual entity. I would, however, seek to avoid the precautionary tale that I feel he represents. He consistently reacts in the moment and is fuelled only by self-interest (whether the eventual action results in good or harm; the motivation is always self-interest). He’s not a character I would seek to emulate, because actions have consequences and, as the tale of Loki makes clear, the momentum of your actions will result in your fate. I’d rather have a character like Loki mad at me than pleased with me.

"Fix it or I smash you with the hammer" is certainly a kind of self-interest, but I would argue that it's an action under duress and to complain that he acted in self-interest is a bit over-simplified.

And there's the matter of the building of Asgard's walls. According to the version in Children of Odin: "Then Odin made oath that the Gods would give him what he asked in payment if the wall was finished to the last stone in a year from that day."

Gosh! It was Odin's fault this giant was gonna ask for Freya and the sun and moon in payment! And Loki who solves the problem, by doing something he gets made fun of for later! Wow! How selfish of Loki!

I think that’s a bit of a leap. The poem states that Loki and Odin agreed to drink together or not at all. It says nothing about the nature of Blots in times past (which, as the name suggests, were done with blood as opposed to mead / ale anyway). I get what you are saying, but I don’t think we can draw any firm conclusions from that single line. Especially when there is zero in the way of evidence that suggest the two were sacrificed to as a pair at any time; but there is plenty that tells us Odin was sacrificed to individually. And there is zero that says Loki was ever sacrificed to.

But it's part of the tapestry! How can you just throw out part of the tapestry?

I don't think you have to interpret that part of the Lokasenna as requiring that all offerings need to be given to both, but it's really hard not to interpret them as having sworn themselves as blood brothers. And if Odin was willing to consider Loki as one of the Aesir - blood brother to Odin and with an Aesir wife - I don't think it's unreasonable for us to do the same.

However, is there anything that suggests the goal of Heathenry was the encouragement of balance between opposing entities?

Is there anything to suggest Heathenry had a goal at all? If so, what do you think it is?

The Aesir / Vanir would seem to be very much the ones the people of the past aligned themselves with. There is nothing, that I am aware of, that suggests that what was really desired was balance between Thor and Jotuns, for example. You called on Thor to keep the nasty things that would kill you away from you and yours. You didn’t want to be equidistant from them both.

Plenty of people hail Aegir, and plenty of sailors carried gold to appease Ran. Skadi was good enough to take a husband from the Vanir, as was Gerd. Odin had a fling with a jotun to father Thor. In fact, one could theorize (if one liked to pretend the gods are metaphors) that Thor himself represents that balance between the Aesir and the jotnar, being half of each, and thus demonstrating how the rage and wildness of the jotnar can be harnessed by the civilizing force of the Aesir and inspired to serve the greater good. (Or Odin's idea thereof, I guess.)

I am made a little uncomfortable by your continued insistence that acting as one is compelled to act by violence is selfish and a character flaw on Loki's part.

If we're looking at this as a metaphor, keeping the fire in the hearth IS the balance. The opposites are "no fire" and "all fire". All fire is bad. No fire is ALSO bad, because then you freeze to death in the Scandinavian winter. This is why balance is important.

What you clearly meant to say here was 'they interpret the mythology differently from me'. Because yes, I interpret the mythology differently than you do. I do not look at him (or Odin) independently from the mythology. I look at the mythology, the scholarship, and my own experiences with the beings in question.

There is enough variation in Norse myth that I am wary of anyone who thinks there's a single, "consistent" whole because... well, there's not. You can pick one particular interpretation and go with it. In which case, more power to you, you picked a popular one, but it's still the interpretation you're choosing.

Generally recons who dislike Loki cite Ragnarok and he fact that he's Evil.

While people who have personal interaction with ANYONE are more likely to see them as complete personalities with both good and bad sides.

The Loki of the recons in part of a wider whole. He is defined by that whole and hence honouring him and the Aesir / Vanir is logical inconsistent.

Well that doesn't sound patronizing or anything.

The Loki of UPG is not defined by that wider whole, but by personal experience, and therefore it is possible for that Loki to be logically consistent with honouring Odin too.

(#) – Speech marks are to clarify my position of the gods as metaphor, and are not intended to cause offence to those who take that interaction as being genuine.

That is not as effective as you think it is.
Hail Mara, Lady of Good Things!
"The only way to cope with something deadly serious is to try to treat it a little lightly." -Madeleine L'Engle

Juniperberry

• Grand Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2014, 01:37:04 am »

I like that thinking generally! Interesting! However, is there anything that suggests the goal of Heathenry was the encouragement of balance between opposing entities? The Aesir / Vanir would seem to be very much the ones the people of the past aligned themselves with. There is nothing, that I am aware of, that suggests that what was really desired was balance between Thor and Jotuns, for example. You called on Thor to keep the nasty things that would kill you away from you and yours. You didn’t want to be equidistant from them both.

I want to clarify my thinking on this. I don't think the human goal is to create balance, I think Midgard is where things are balanced. As I said, the gods ( and everything) coexists here in a fragile balance. And Mankind plays it's own role in maintaining that harmony. Could Tyr, in my previous example, be absolute justice? Yes. But here, in this physical reality, through the human lens, justice is never so black and white. So while I could honor the ideal of absolute justice, it can never exist as anything other than an abstract. Manifested, it's grey. Including Loki, as the myths show. That's why relationships with deity and not truths of deity come into play (and how polytheism works on a grander scale even?).

I don't think I looked at Loki in that way? I didn't say the myths were unreliable, or that I ignored certain aspects, or that I ignore certain gods. I very clearly said that Loki is an integral part of a balanced middle earth, and to separate him from that is inharmonious and destructive to balance. Which is also literally in the lore (literally). Once Loki was cast out/immobilized, the earth shook and eventually fell (Ragnarok).

As a former recon (?), I think recons don't like Loki because they're trying to sift through the rights and wrongs of a growing system of worship to build a solid framework. I wouldn't say that I've had personal interaction with Loki, but I do have first hand experience of how a personally symbolic fire clears away the dead brush to make way for new growth. That doesn't mean I always want to be on fire, but I do acknowledge and respect it's place in the scheme of things.  And I think a god of wisdom and clairvoyance, like Odin, would see the necessity and rewards of it as well.

Tags: