Halloween is one of the most anticipated holidays of the year. When we have the opportunity to be whomever we want for a day, and indulge in practically anything we want, the atmosphere is ripe for an all-out enchanting celebration.
Halloween does tend to create a tiny bit of guilt in some of our minds, however. May of us try to deal with the idea that tons of money and resources are spent on an event that happens on just one day out of the year. In addition to the slightly consumer-driven feeling that is often associated with Halloween, concerns over the quality of Halloween treats linger in the minds of some people, especially parents.
It’s important to enjoy holidays.
Celebrations like Halloween allow us the chance to get together with friends and family, and be light-hearted in a world that has many challenges and obstacles.
Holidays like Halloween can and should be celebrated from a mindset of joy, for ourselves and for the world we live in. Celebrating an eco-friendly Halloween is the best way to honor our own joyful life, and to ensure that those who come after us will be allowed the same pleasure.
Greening your Halloween can be as simple as making sure that you use as little resources as possible, and choose eco-friendly products when you must buy.
When we must purchase something, because living and enjoying life means we’ll have to buy things occasionally, it’s important that our purchases be as eco-friendly and sustainable as possible.
When thinking about green Halloween costumes, eco-friendly Halloween party décor, and organic Halloween food, there are so many easy ways to make sure that we’re doing out part to safeguard our health and that of the planet. A balance between fun and responsibility can be had, personally and environmentally. It’s simply a matter of finding great resources for eco-friendly Halloween supplies.
Here are 7 tips for greening your Halloween…
1. Eco-friendly Halloween Costumes – The best “green” Halloween costumes come from recycled or repurposed items like old hats, shirts, capes, pants, shoes, and more. When you have a special Halloween costume in mind that requires a more unique piece or outfit, consider an eco-friendly Halloween costume made from 100% cotton, silk, or felt. Eco-friendly Halloween costumes do not contain any toxic materials, like PVC (polyvinyl chloride), which can irritate the skin and “off-gas” into the environment. PVC or plastic Halloween costumes release cancer-causing dioxins into the air, and they are not recyclable either. Choose eco-friendly Halloween costumes that are made from natural, chemical-free fibers. There are tons of great “green” Halloween costumes available. Just choose what you want to be. Dragon, spider, vampire, or princess? There is an eco-friendly Halloween costume for almost anyone, at any age.
2. Natural Halloween Makeup – There are so many great Halloween costume ideas that require face painting and special makeup application. While you may look fantastic, who wants a load of toxic chemicals all over their face? Traditional Halloween makeup is filled with dangerous, synthetic substances. Non-toxic, natural Halloween makeup includes natural face makeup, organic nail polish, and natural nail polish and makeup remover to take it all of when Halloween is over. Are you going to be a clown, frog, furry animal, or even a piece of candy corn for Halloween? It’s easy to find eco-friendly Halloween makeup that will make you look exactly like the character you’ve imagined.
3. “Green” Halloween Decorations – Whether you’re decorating your house to welcome trick-or-treaters, or preparing for an eco-friendly Halloween party, you’ll want to find eco-friendly Halloween decorations that are durable enough to be used multiple times. Single use décor is not exactly the most environmentally friendly way to decorate for a Halloween party, so when you can buy Halloween decorations that will stand the test of time, you’re on track to having an eco-Halloween. If you must purchase Halloween decorations that will be used only once, make sure they come from recycled or post-consumer materials like hemp, bamboo, organic cotton, or other natural sources. Green Halloween decorations are much better for the Earth than plastic décor, which often just ends up in landfills after Halloween is over. To decorate your home for trick-or-treaters or for a party, choose fun and whimsical eco-Halloween decorations like felt banners, hay bale table place cards, or recycled paper confetti.
4. Eco-Halloween Treat Bags – Instead of grabbing a plastic or paper bag to collect Halloween “treats” in when trick-or-treating; opt for an eco-friendly Halloween treat bag than can be used for years to come. You’ll find spooky and scary Halloween treat bags, or Halloween treat bags made to look like silly pumpkins and pretty witches. The best “green” Halloween bags are made from felt, which is sturdy enough to ensure years of use.
5. Organic Halloween Treats – Are you passing out “green” Halloween treats this year, or supplying a party with organic Halloween desserts? Conventional Halloween candy and cookies are often filled with tons of chemicals like artificial colors, flavors, and preservatives. Chocolate in many Halloween treats is most likely sourced from suppliers that don’t follow Fair Trade guidelines. Milk and sugar that’s included in most Halloween treats comes from sources that may exploit animals. When “greening” your Halloween, choose organic Halloween treats like organic cookies and candies. You can even make your own organic Halloween cookies with cute, eco-friendly Halloween cookie cutouts.
6. “Green” Halloween Party Favors – Do you need ideas for eco-friendly Halloween party favors? When you want Earth-friendly Halloween party favors to give to partygoers or trick-or-treaters, reach for Halloween party favors that are made with sustainable materials. Eco-friendly pencils, recycled crayons, and “green” LED flashlights are wonderful and inexpensive party favors for Halloween. You can also give little eco-friendly staplers shaped like animals or little packets of flower seeds that kids can grow themselves.
7. Eco-friendly Halloween tableware – When you’re setting your table for an eco-friendly Halloween party, use your regular china or porcelain dishes, or opt for a fast and easy solution to Halloween tableware. Single-use plates, cups, and utensils are not the “greenest” way to prepare a table, but when you must use disposable tableware, choose items made from recyclable and compostable materials. Bamboo plates and cups are completely biodegradable, and are grown without harmful chemical fertilizers.
By following these 7 tips for an Eco-Friendly Halloween, you’ll be doing your part in protecting the planet while having the best “Green” Halloween ever.
About the Author
ecolocos.net helps you choose Eco-friendly options. Green product reviews, news about Eco friendly production methods, education on fair trade and green certifications, and more, we simplify the challenge of greener living.