I’m sure I came across it mentioned in some thread or other, not too long ago, but I couldn’t find it again using the keyword search. I’m (almost) sure whoever mentioned it spoke about how these unanswerable questions are utilised in some religious traditions, and possibly other areas (like maybe therapy – but I can’t recall exactly). Anyway…
I speculated that maybe these questions were along the lines of ones I’d read started to be used in job interviews these days (apparently), such as “How do you fit a giraffe in a refrigerator?”
But an internet search (albeit only a brief one) came up with sites listing various trivial questions, most of which aren’t strictly unanswerable at all. Such as the following:-
1. Why does a round pizza come in a square box?
2. Why is it said that an alarm clock is going off when really it’s coming on?
3. How come people tell you not to stand in front of an emergency exit when if there was an emergency surely you would run through it?
4. Why did Sally sell seashells on the seashore when you can just pick them up anyway?
5. Why are both of Spongebob’s parents round like sea sponges while he is square like a kitchen sponge?
(Above the first 5 from a list on a site called chartcons in an item called ‘100 Unanswerable Questions That Will Blow Your Mind’.)
So, I’d be interested to hear from anyone who’s familiar with this topic of unanswerable questions, and I’d also be interested to hear any examples anyone’s got of specific unanswerable questions…
Thanks in advance!
Message Board: Join in our discussion.