Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Altair
[April 09, 2024, 09:29:08 am]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Jenett
[April 08, 2024, 09:09:39 pm]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Sefiru
[April 08, 2024, 06:09:38 pm]

Re: Supermarket Witches by SirPalomides
[April 08, 2024, 09:49:17 am]

Author Topic: Worshiping/Honoring Sothis/Sopdet/Sirius  (Read 2321 times)

hpsmacy

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
Worshiping/Honoring Sothis/Sopdet/Sirius
« on: June 17, 2014, 12:06:26 am »
I am a High Priestess and one of my girls is Kemetic and has been drawn to the Goddess Sopdet. Also known as Sothis in Greek or the Star Sirius. We have been trying to find information online and rituals, but all we can find is that she is associated with the rise and fall of the Nile, the dog star Sirius, and that she has been merged over time with Isis.

Does anyone here have any experience working with her?
Do you know of any food offerings, incense offerings, favorite stones, favorite metals, etc?

Any help would be greatly appreciated! and in return we'd love to help you in any way possible. Thank you in advance!
-Macy

veggiewolf

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
Re: Worshiping/Honoring Sothis/Sopdet/Sirius
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2014, 11:32:18 am »
Quote from: hpsmacy;150248
I am a High Priestess and one of my girls is Kemetic and has been drawn to the Goddess Sopdet. Also known as Sothis in Greek or the Star Sirius. We have been trying to find information online and rituals, but all we can find is that she is associated with the rise and fall of the Nile, the dog star Sirius, and that she has been merged over time with Isis.

Do you know of any food offerings, incense offerings, favorite stones, favorite metals, etc?

Any help would be greatly appreciated! and in return we'd love to help you in any way possible. Thank you in advance!
-Macy

So, a couple things:

- If you do a search on Sopdet, you'll find a number of threads on TC that refer to her, especially in the Reformed Kemeticism SIG.

- Looking into the importance of Sirius, its cycles, and the inundation will be valuable.

- I don't focus on correspondences for the netjeru (Kemetic deities or Names) I worship (stones, metals, colors, etc.)  However, I can tell you that cool water is a traditional offering for most (if not all) of the netjeru.  Bread and beer are also good choices.  Traditionally, offerings are reverted - they should be consumed rather than discarded (where possible).
Fluid Morality - my spiritual blog
Eating Monsters - my mental health blog

"Religion does not define a deity- it defines the human approach and interpretation of deity." - Juni
"I hate magical thinking in my magic." - Darkhawk
"...a baseball club; a soccer unkindness; a hockey murder; a football team..." - Cecil, Welcome to Night Vale

SatAset

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • Fiercely Bright One
  • Religion: Kemetic Orthodox
  • Preferred Pronouns: She, Her
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2014, 03:30:14 pm »

Sopdet has been an aspect of Aset since the Pyramid Texts if not earlier.  She was also an aspect of Hetharu (Hathor) also.  

Sopdet is an Eye of Ra, a Cow Goddess, a Star Goddess and the herald of the Nile Flood.  I would associate Her with the Nile flood and of course Her star's Rising, the Half-Way Point Until She Returns (an Appearance of Sopdet festival marks this) and Her disappearance into the Duat/the Sky traveling.  The Star Sopdet (as Aset-Sopdet) follows Orion (Wesir) within the Night Sky mirroring the mythical cycle of the death and renewal of the God.  

I'd say fire and water are important offerings for Her.  Also breads or vegetables/fruits because of the Nile's flood association with planting and then Harvest.  

There is also a Festival of Sopdet held monthly on the 22nd Day of Each Lunar Month (Lunar Month being New Moon to New Moon).  As for symbols, stars are the suns of night so some solar symbolism may also apply here.
I am the Goddess of Who I can Become. I mix the magic of the sorceress with the blade of a warrior. I walk the liminal pathways to see the face of the Goddess, both terrible and kind. As She stares back at me, I tremble in awe and ecstasy.  --SatAset

stephyjh

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2014, 07:48:42 pm »
I am a High Priestess and one of my girls is Kemetic and has been drawn to the Goddess Sopdet.
-Macy

Off topic, but: High Priestess, huh? Cool! What tradition? How long have you been practicing, and how long have you been in a High Priestess role?

I ask because I have this sneaking suspicion that my gods are going to end up pulling me in that direction, but there's no WAY I'm ready for that yet--I mean, a high priestess in her 20s? There's just no way! Too much to learn first!
A heretic blast has been blown in the west,
That what is no sense must be nonsense.

-Robert Burns

Tags: