collapse

Author Topic: What would your temple look like?  (Read 927 times)

Ashmire

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic, featuring mainly East Asian and Egyptian plus pop-cultural influences
Re: What would your temple look like?
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2019, 03:21:57 pm »
That's certainly an interesting question to contemplate for me.

At the moment, a local gay bar that hosts nightly karaoke is the closest thing I have to a temple for my Mercurial faith, and it works out okay. Pictures: 1 2 3

Arguably the Queen Studio Experience in Montreux functions as a more official temple to Freddie Mercury.

The ideal temple would still contain such things--a space for everyone to perform, hang out, and drink, as well as a museum dedicated to Mercury and the rest of the band. These would be two of the six wings fanning out in a six-petaled flower/star shape from a central garden with quiet groves, running water, and various statues to make offerings at. The other four wings would be a theater for events, a well-supplied and comfortable love hotel for whatever kind of hookups visitors enjoy, a living space for temple staff that also has room to be a sanctuary for refugees and others who need it, and a cat cafe/shelter.

Oh, well, if you're in on this...!  ;D

I'm thinking a Temple of Bruce Lee would not look so much like a temple as a nice, large, full-service gym with plenty of punching bags and training dummies as well as protective equipment for sparring available as well as more generalized exercise equipment.  Of course there would also be a nice but fairly simple meditation room and shrine area.  Tea and healthy snacks or protein bars should be available somewhere, and I think he'd also appreciate a library ( he was known to keep what is usually considered an impressive number of books around, though admittedly it doesn't look much more than I have if you're including my Kindle)---I'm nearly sure I've seen a picture somewhere of him simultaneously reading and weightlifting but can't put a finger on it right now.

Altair

• Adept Member
  • Fly high and make the world follow
    • View Profile
    • Songs of the Metamythos
  • Religion: tree-hugging pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2019, 04:47:55 pm »
I just wanna say I'm now doing ridiculous construction in Minecraft creative mode and I blame you. ;)

You and me both--though for me, it's in Photoshop.

But first, some photographic inspiration. If you're thinking about your temple space, consider these real-life examples that I find truly spectacular:

From Bhutan, the Paro Taktsang "Tiger's Nest" Buddhist monastery

And from Barcelona, the late architect Antoni Gaudi's as yet unfinished masterpiece, the Sagrada Familia ("Holy Family") Catholic cathedral. I hate it from the outside--it looks like it's made by some kid dripping sand to make sandcastle towers--but the interiors are breathtaking and somehow organic, like something out of Rivendell.

As for the temple I envision:

Mine would be a large circular hard-floored space open to the sky, with the symbol at the bottom of my posts as its floor plan. Gates--torii-like twin posts with a top crossing beam--would stand at the points of the triangle for entering/leaving the space; the remaining 9 stations around the circle's perimeter would be marked with posts--free-standing columns or monoliths--so that the whole effect would be rather like Stonehenge.

So here, via the miracle of Photoshop, is a rough approximation of that temple, which I've dubbed "Metahenge".

(Apologies to Star Trek for shamelessly altering Spock's familial place of koon-ut-kal-if-fee)

I decided that the monoliths should have an overhang attached across all the tops (kind of suggested below), to shield worshippers at the shrines from the elements (sun on a hot day, rain on bad weather days) while still leaving most of the temple open to the sky. There'd also be a ring of stone benches (not shown) near the outer edge of the circle, so that one can sit in front of a shrine and face outward towards it, or sit on the other side of the bench, facing inward towards the center and the triple-head, for group circles. The brazier would be removable (and the center dais probably just a flat stone circle) to accommodate a space for celebrants, musicians, or performers of other kinds.

Oh, and the faces of the triple head would be acoustically engineered so that their shape acts as a natural amplifier, the sounds of celebrants/musicians bouncing off the faces to reach the entire temple with perfect clarity. Because everybody knows that's totally doable.

Not that I've thought about this. At all.

The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs

Altair

• Adept Member
  • Fly high and make the world follow
    • View Profile
    • Songs of the Metamythos
  • Religion: tree-hugging pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2019, 05:33:06 pm »
I'm thinking a Temple of Bruce Lee would not look so much like a temple as a nice, large, full-service gym with plenty of punching bags and training dummies as well as protective equipment for sparring available as well as more generalized exercise equipment. 

I've frequently had the thought while at my weight-training gym that I was worshipping in the temple of hypermasculinity.
The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs

ehbowen

• Grand Master Member
  • A Ways Around the Bend...
    • View Profile
    • Streamliner Schedules
  • Religion: Southern Baptist
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2019, 09:16:21 pm »

As long as it's on topic, how about this blast from the past? (Continue reading the discussion following!)

The Paganism Mall
--------Eric H. Bowen
Where's the KABOOM? There was supposed to have been an Earth-shattering KABOOM!

arete

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: pagan
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2019, 11:25:16 am »
If you had unlimited resources to build the temple of your dreams for your gods (or any one god)/your religion, what would it look like?
I'd reconstruct an ancient greek temple in it's previous glory. And I'd create many mini temples everywhere.  :)

Tags: