collapse

* "Unable to verify referring url. Please go back and try again" Problem Logging In?

If you get an "Unable to verify referring url. Please go back and try again" error when you try to log in, you need to be sure you are accessing the board with a url that starts with "https://ecauldron.com".  If it starts with https://www.ecauldron.com" (or "http://www.ecauldron.com") you will get this error because "www.ecauldron.com" is not technically the same website as "ecauldron.com". Moving to the more secure "https" means it is more picky about such things.

Author Topic: What do you do with offerings after?  (Read 491 times)

Louisvillian

• Master Member
  • Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Syncretic religio romana/Hellenised Romano-British religion
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
Re: What do you do with offerings after?
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2018, 05:59:49 pm »
What do you do with your offerings to Gods/Goddesses/The Fae when you are done ritual work?
Most of my offerings are of wine or other alcoholic drink, or of incense.
For the former, if that's not already part of the ritual, I pour it out onto the ground. I usually pour it from the bottle into a chalice in ritual, but if I leave it there for more than a day, gnats accumulate and just make a mess. So I pour it outside on the ground pretty soon after, saying a prayer to the gods of the land and place.
For the latter, as well as for other offerings that are burned on the altar, such as bones or herbs, I keep the ashen remains (as well as incense sticks and leftover candle wax) in a small bowl on a shelf under the altar. On a night before the new moon, I take the offscourings to the nearest crossroad or pathway. I consign them to Hekate, burn a candle for her, and bury them as best I can.

Eastling

• Journeyman
    Attack Member
  • Love and be free.
    • View Profile
    • Utterly Pure
  • Religion: Dionysian pop culture paganism and heretical Judaism
  • Preferred Pronouns: He/him/his
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2018, 06:10:36 pm »
What do you do with your offerings to Gods/Goddesses/The Fae when you are done ritual work? I've thought of eating it or leaving it outside but I'm the worst fence sitter and would like to hear what others do.

It depends on the offering.

To the local daimons of the neighborhood, I give some kind of bread product and chocolate. I leave it on an abandoned railroad track that starts about half a block outside the gate of my apartment complex. I take a bite of both bread and chocolate both to indicate that it's safe and to participate in a meal with the local spirits. Then I break up the bread and leave it on the ground, where seagulls will get it in the morning; the chocolate I leave on the elevated edge of a trashcan, so that rats can grab it but dogs can't. So--that stuff gets consumed by local wildlife.

I also regularly go out to that location to smoke a joint of legally-purchased marijuana, but my high tolerance and somewhat battered lungs usually mean that it's not worth it for me to smoke it all the way down to the end, so I leave the stub on the edge of the trashcan as an offering, and usually someone walking by with lower tolerance than me grabs it later. I consider this a modern form of the ancient practice of "Hekate's dinner"--leave food at a crossroads to Hekate ostensibly as an offering to her, but really because poorer people will take it for themselves. Obviously I can't leave actual food for humans to eat on the edge of a trashcan, but a bit of relaxing herb will sometimes brighten someone's night.

My indoor offerings are wine and perfume. The wine I share with my goddess before my weekly ritual; I leave her portion in a bowl during the ritual and then pour it out afterwards. The perfume I apply to my skin before taking a shower and consider the way that it washes off during the shower to be part of the offering.
Utterly Pure, a virtual shrine in progress to Ariadne; Someday Comes Back, my general mysticism/pop culture blog.
Everything dies, baby: that's a fact. But maybe everything that dies someday comes back.
--Bruce Springsteen
The words of Dionysos and Ariadne from the mouth of their beloved son: Rule with your heart; live with your conscience; love and be free.

pagan_hippie

Attack Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2018, 03:33:14 pm »
All my offerings are left outside for nature to enjoy. I try to find a tree or rock on my property (but not too close cause ants suck) and leave my offerings there. Usually the next morning they are gone.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sefiru

• Staff
    Attack Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2018, 06:22:08 pm »
All my offerings are left outside for nature to enjoy. I try to find a tree or rock on my property (but not too close cause ants suck) and leave my offerings there. Usually the next morning they are gone.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

A Reminder:
Hi,

Just a quick note:  Please remember to quote, even if you're just replying to the first message in the thread.  It makes the discussion easier to follow, and it's required by our rules. (If you're using tapatalk on a phone, please hold your finger down on the message you wish to reply to until the quote function pops up.)

This isn't a formal warning, just a reminder. No reply is necessary, but if you have questions or need clarification, please feel free to contact a member of staff privately.

Thanks!

Sefiru
TC Forum Staff

Tags:

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 11
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 3
  • Dot Users Online:

* Members in CauldronMUX

0 members chatting in CauldronMUX:
Updated every five minutes or so

* Please Donate!

The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.

* In Memoriam

Chavi (2006)
Elspeth (2010)
Marilyn (2013)

* Cauldron Staff

Co-Hosts:
LyricFox & Randall

Message Board Staff
Board Coordinator:
Sunflower

Assistant Board Coordinator:
Aster Breo

Board Staff:
Allaya, Chatelaine, Emma-Eldritch, HarpingHawke, Jenett, Morag, rocquelaire, Sefiru, Tana

CauldronMUX Chat Staff
Chief MUX Wizard:
Darkhawk

Reserve Staff:
Aisling, Bob, Catja, Fausta, Sperran, Steve

Cauldron Council:
Everfool, Jubes, Kelly, Koi, Melamphoros, Ocelot, Phouka, Sashapablo, Star

Cauldron Assistants
[Non-Staff Positions]

Site Assistants
[Non-Staff Positions]
Webmaster: