collapse

Author Topic: Wedding Rituals and Prayers?  (Read 2060 times)

NibbleKat

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://nibblekat.deviantart.com
Wedding Rituals and Prayers?
« on: April 25, 2012, 04:12:42 pm »
Hi guys! Long time no post. Hope you're all well.

I ...think this is the appropriate place to post this.

Here's the problem I've been having: I've been scouring online resources for wedding blessings and rituals I could do in front of a mixed-faith crowd. I am a pagan, my fiance' is an atheist.  He doesn't care what we do as long as it's not "too religious", and I have a sister who is fiercely Christian (Episcopalian!).  

So, are there any prayers or blessings (not vows, per se) that the officiant, who is my best friend, mentor, and also pagan that can be said that will honor the gods, our marriage, and still not be terribly blatant?  I'm looking not for Wiccan ceremonies or prayers, per se, but those could be altered, as well. (And romantic wouldn't hurt, either.)

And if anyone has any info on ancient Gallic/Continental Celtic weddings, that'd be helpful too.

Thanks!

kat.
I do altar art, icons, and pagan art!
http://nibblekat.deviantart.com
Ask if you\'re interested.

Tana

• Staff
    • View Profile
Re: Wedding Rituals and Prayers?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2012, 04:32:07 pm »
Quote from: NibbleKat;51846

I found that a lot of Celtic/Irish blessings (including drinking toasts ;)) are rather 'neutral'.

The little 'Celtic Devotional' book by Caitlin Matthews has also a nice way of putting all the prayers and blessings and devotionals in a way, that everyone could use them.

Maybe you find something there?

Oh and congrats!!! :)
\'You had to repay, good or bad. There was more than one type of obligation.
That’s what people never really understood.….Things had to balance.
You couldn’t set out to be a good witch or a bad witch. It never worked out for long.
All you could try to be was a witch, as hard as you could.\'
Terry Pratchett \'Lords and Ladies\'

Confuzzled and proud. :p

NibbleKat

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2012, 05:38:03 pm »
Quote from: Tana;51848
I found that a lot of Celtic/Irish blessings (including drinking toasts ;)) are rather 'neutral'.

The little 'Celtic Devotional' book by Caitlin Matthews has also a nice way of putting all the prayers and blessings and devotionals in a way, that everyone could use them.

Maybe you find something there?

Oh and congrats!!! :)

Hi there, Tana! Long time no see. How've you been?
I've read a lot of the Celtic/Irish ones, and they're okay-- a lot are peppered with Christian things, but those can easily be rewritten, I suppose.  

This is actually my favorite:
The Giving of Rings Verse

I take you my heart
At the rising of the moon
And the setting of the stars.
To love and to honour
Through all that may come.
Through all our lives together
In all our lives,
May we be reborn
That we may meet and know
And love again,
And remember

But it's also a one-person-to-another one (which again, can be rewritten to be said by the person doing to marrying of us two folks).  I think it's stuff like that I'm looking for, but not so million-times-posted as most of them are...

Selendrile

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2012, 02:29:26 pm »
Quote from: NibbleKat;51853
Hi there, Tana! Long time no see. How've you been?
I've read a lot of the Celtic/Irish ones, and they're okay-- a lot are peppered with Christian things, but those can easily be rewritten, I suppose.  

This is actually my favorite:
The Giving of Rings Verse

I take you my heart
At the rising of the moon
And the setting of the stars.
To love and to honour
Through all that may come.
Through all our lives together
In all our lives,
May we be reborn
That we may meet and know
And love again,
And remember

But it's also a one-person-to-another one (which again, can be rewritten to be said by the person doing to marrying of us two folks).  I think it's stuff like that I'm looking for, but not so million-times-posted as most of them are...

That is absolutely beautiful! I may have to use that myself! Just over 3 months away :).

NibbleKat

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2012, 03:12:56 pm »
Quote from: Selendrile;52541
That is absolutely beautiful! I may have to use that myself! Just over 3 months away :).

I love your icon-- I have the ouroborus as part of my tattoo, in fact.

Have you found any good places on the net for wedding blessings or sayings? And congrats!

Selendrile

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2012, 03:59:02 pm »
Quote from: NibbleKat;52549
I love your icon-- I have the ouroborus as part of my tattoo, in fact.

Have you found any good places on the net for wedding blessings or sayings? And congrats!

I have not found anything as beautiful! I'm sure you've seen the same things as me if you've been looking. We actually have a friend of his family doing the ceremony. It's a set basic ceremony, but it's better than a civil service and not too religious (my fiance is atheist). What I'm actually searching for is a good love song for his sister to sing at the reception! But if I find anything good, I will let you know! Either way, I have to find a way to use what you found... it is just so perfect! Anyways, congrats to you too! How far off is your wedding?

Fier

• Sr. Master Member
  • Daughter of the Cosmos
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic Pantheist
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2012, 12:30:41 pm »

First of all, ((((Kitty!)))). Congrats on your engagement!

Unfortunately, I don't really remember what my officiant said at my wedding, though I hear it was good. I do remember we did a couple small "rituals" I've not seen at weddings before.

She said something about the wedding not only being a union between these two people, but also a ceremony presenting them as a couple to the community. She asked that those present bless and support our marriage and had them confirm their commitment by standing. It was kind of like a vow from the guests.

We didn't do the unity candle or sand thing. Instead, after we said our vows to each other we put them into a wine box with a bottle of port and sealed it with wax. He stamped into the wax with his family crest ring and I stamped into it with a stamp I had made. We found this ritual online somewhere, and the idea is that you open the box in 10 years, drink the wine, and re-read your vows. If, at some point before that 10 years arrives, you find your marriage in strife, you open the box early to read the vows and reflect on why you joined together originally.

Hope some of these ideas are helpful!

Dashifen

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • http://dashifen.com
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2012, 04:10:43 pm »
So, are there any prayers or blessings (not vows, per se) that the officiant, who is my best friend, mentor, and also pagan that can be said that will honor the gods, our marriage, and still not be terribly blatant?

My partner (a Catholic) and I (a Witch) basically designed our own wedding using this book as a starting place:  Sacred Thresholds.  

We specifically avoided overtly religious tones to just about everything for our primary ceremony and instead opted to invite a few members of our family (my uncle and her sister) to join us in sharing some poetry that they felt was appropriate.  To my embarrassment, I can't recall what poetry was shared, only that my sister-in-law read something by Pablo Neruda.

Aubrey_Rose

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2012, 05:25:12 pm »

I ...think this is the appropriate place to post this.

Here's the problem I've been having: I've been scouring online resources for wedding blessings and rituals I could do in front of a mixed-faith crowd. I am a pagan, my fiance' is an atheist.  He doesn't care what we do as long as it's not "too religious", and I have a sister who is fiercely Christian (Episcopalian!).  

So, are there any prayers or blessings (not vows, per se) that the officiant, who is my best friend, mentor, and also pagan that can be said that will honor the gods, our marriage, and still not be terribly blatant?  I'm looking not for Wiccan ceremonies or prayers, per se, but those could be altered, as well. (And romantic wouldn't hurt, either.)

And if anyone has any info on ancient Gallic/Continental Celtic weddings, that'd be helpful too.

Thanks!

kat.

Ohh Ohh Ohh!!!
We are using this
http://www.ecauldron.net/handfast1.php

We chopped it, and changed somethings to fit us personally, ours is also going to be in front of several fierce christians.
If we all lived a little greener, Then perhaps our children\'s children will live a little longer.
--Rose

Tags: