Re: "Christ Is King" by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 10:30:17 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 08:31:19 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 07:54:40 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Sefiru
[Yesterday at 07:44:49 pm]

Author Topic: The Use of Animal Bones in Hellenism  (Read 1109 times)

goblin-queen

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
  • Religion: A hodge-podge
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
The Use of Animal Bones in Hellenism
« on: October 21, 2018, 10:25:14 am »
Once my room has been redecorated (yay!) I'm going to be setting up a couple of shrines. The first one that I've been called to make is a wilderness shrine dedicated to Skadi, Artemis & Medeina. I would to incorporate animal bones into the set up, I harvest them humanely don't worry! But I remember reading somewhere that ancient Greeks believed in miasma that would rise up from the underworld.

So I don't know if placing bones on an altar to Artemis would be appropriate. Or would it be ok if the bones were thoroughly cleaned?

Any insight would be really helpful.  ;D
“...talent means nothing, while experience, acquired in humility and with hard work, means everything.”

Sefiru

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
Re: The Use of Animal Bones in Hellenism
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2018, 06:59:33 pm »
So I don't know if placing bones on an altar to Artemis would be appropriate. Or would it be ok if the bones were thoroughly cleaned?

IIRC, wasn't Artemis associated with hunting? So bones of game animals might be all right? Also, I don't know if the Greeks considered animal remains to have the same underworld associations as human remains.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Me on AO3 & Deviantart

TheGreenWizard

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2018, 07:54:43 pm »
Once my room has been redecorated (yay!) I'm going to be setting up a couple of shrines. The first one that I've been called to make is a wilderness shrine dedicated to Skadi, Artemis & Medeina. I would to incorporate animal bones into the set up, I harvest them humanely don't worry! But I remember reading somewhere that ancient Greeks believed in miasma that would rise up from the underworld.

Any insight would be really helpful.  ;D

Artemis is seen as the Goddess of the Hunt, and of Wildlife, so I think having aspects of animals - be it bones, fur, feathers, and so forth - would be fine.

The Miasma part - if I'm remembering correctly - is more about how things may have been tainted. For example, human remains from a wrongful death, equipment that was cursed or used for nefarious means, etc. So I think the only way that would be brought about would be a hunting tool used for murder. But you should be fine if you're just doing animal parts that were ethically killed
“You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. You're on your own. And you know what you know. And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go...”
― Dr. Seuss, Oh, the Places You'll Go

goblin-queen

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
  • Religion: A hodge-podge
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2018, 03:16:10 pm »
Artemis is seen as the Goddess of the Hunt, and of Wildlife, so I think having aspects of animals - be it bones, fur, feathers, and so forth - would be fine.

That's what I figured. But I remembered reading about miasma, so I just wanted to be sure. Didn't want to be inadvertently offending anyone. ^^;

The Miasma part - if I'm remembering correctly - is more about how things may have been tainted.

That makes a lot of sense. Thank you!  ;D
“...talent means nothing, while experience, acquired in humility and with hard work, means everything.”

arete

• Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
  • Religion: pagan
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2018, 03:02:43 pm »

The Miasma part - if I'm remembering correctly - is more about how things may have been tainted. For example, human remains from a wrongful death, equipment that was cursed or used for nefarious means, etc. So I think the only way that would be brought about would be a hunting tool used for murder. But you should be fine if you're just doing animal parts that were ethically killed
I want to add to the miasma part that if a human was dead and he wasn't buried properly the dead unburied corpse is a miasma.

Tags: