collapse

Author Topic: New Moon July 8th ritual  (Read 917 times)

Akyana

  • Apprentice
  • ***
  • Join Date: May 2013
  • Posts: 21
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
New Moon July 8th ritual
« on: June 26, 2013, 05:50:47 am »
I have read here New Moon in July is traditionally associated with Old Great Ones.
(I am sorry, I have forgotten who said that...but it was a very interesting info)

Now, as I am a devotee of Lady Morrigan and AllFather Odin,
... would you think or feel it would be a good idea to perform a ritual to officialize the connection from my side with Them then?

Thank you  a lot in advance for any ideas or informations.

Leanan Sidhe

  • Journeyman
  • *****
  • Join Date: Jan 2012
  • Posts: 198
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Re: New Moon July 8th ritual
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2013, 01:39:57 pm »
Quote from: Akyana;113716


Now, as I am a devotee of Lady Morrigan and AllFather Odin,
... would you think or feel it would be a good idea to perform a ritual to officialize the connection from my side with Them then?

Thank you  a lot in advance for any ideas or informations.

 
Well, first of all, I'd make sure that you feel the time is right before you make it official. Also, while I work with The Morrighan, I don't work with Odin, so I don't even have a UPG understanding of whether or not they work well together or get along. If they do, then doing a ritual for both at the same time would be okay. If they can't stand each other, doing a ritual that involves both of them may not go...smoothly.

That being said, the new moon is normally my time for celebrating/honoring/asking for help from The Morrighan. Next month will be a little unusual for me because one of my Flamekeeping shifts for Ord Brighideach is that night, so I'll be honoring Brighid on the 8th.

I can't give you any advice about Odin, because I don't know that much about him and never worked with him.
"Modesty is an illusion" -- de Sade
"The call of death is a call of love. Death can be sweet if we answer it in the affirmative, if we accept it as one of the great eternal forms of life and transformation." -- Herman Hesse

Akyana

  • Apprentice
  • ***
  • Join Date: May 2013
  • Posts: 21
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Re: New Moon July 8th ritual
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2013, 02:39:41 pm »
Quote from: Leanan Sidhe;113775
Well, first of all, I'd make sure that you feel the time is right before you make it official. Also, while I work with The Morrighan, I don't work with Odin, so I don't even have a UPG understanding of whether or not they work well together or get along. If they do, then doing a ritual for both at the same time would be okay. If they can't stand each other, doing a ritual that involves both of them may not go...smoothly.

That being said, the new moon is normally my time for celebrating/honoring/asking for help from The Morrighan. Next month will be a little unusual for me because one of my Flamekeeping shifts for Ord Brighideach is that night, so I'll be honoring Brighid on the 8th.

I can't give you any advice about Odin, because I don't know that much about him and never worked with him.

Thank you for your answer Leanan Sidhe.:)

I believe that at least in my case they do like each other ...

But..what is with the New Moon next month...is it going to be extra special.or not?

SunflowerP

  • Senior Staff
  • *
  • Join Date: Jun 2011
  • Location: Calgary AB
  • Posts: 8076
  • Country: ca
  • Total likes: 211
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
Re: New Moon July 8th ritual
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2013, 03:53:57 am »
Quote from: Akyana;113914
But..what is with the New Moon next month...is it going to be extra special.or not?

 
I seem to recall that came up in context of someone who was being extremely demanding that we Give! Them! Answers! NOW!, and may have been intended to deal with the demandingness rather than being a serious point.

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

Akyana

  • Apprentice
  • ***
  • Join Date: May 2013
  • Posts: 21
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Re: New Moon July 8th ritual
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2013, 04:36:36 pm »
Quote from: SunflowerP;114009
I seem to recall that came up in context of someone who was being extremely demanding that we Give! Them! Answers! NOW!, and may have been intended to deal with the demandingness rather than being a serious point.

Sunflower

Ahhh..Ok...
It makes sense, even though the author was rather serious, saying (also) there,
that one should forget about  astral travelling when the july new moon takes place,..
Well, I kind of hoped it was a special time,
and maybe it will be anyway, I will check out astro chart for that day.

Thank you!:)

Leanan Sidhe

  • Journeyman
  • *****
  • Join Date: Jan 2012
  • Posts: 198
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Re: New Moon July 8th ritual
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2013, 06:11:47 pm »
Quote from: SunflowerP;114009
I seem to recall that came up in context of someone who was being extremely demanding that we Give! Them! Answers! NOW!, and may have been intended to deal with the demandingness rather than being a serious point.

Sunflower

 
Yeah. I believe that was a comment made because by that point many people were at the end of TC's collective rope.

The term "Great Old Ones" is a reference to some deities (and other entities) from fiction writer H.P. Lovecraft's mythology.

Also mentioned in that thread were "My Little Pony" and "Dungeons & Dragons", among other things, and I doubt the intent was serious for any of them either.

However the ex-roommate of one of my friends IRL does worship deities from the Lovecraft myths. I've read Lovecraft several times, and I don't recall anything in there about the moon in July being particularly special. But it's been a few years, and I was reading him as a fiction fan, not for the sake of creating a spiritual practice based on his work.

Regardless, your Gods are The Morrighan and Odin, so if there was anything on the subject that he wrote about, it wouldn't apply to your situation, anyway.

I don't believe that the July moon has any more or less significance than any other -- and it doesn't for me, personally. Having said that, different Traditions can sometimes have dates that hold a particular significance to them, but not to paganism at large.

Now for my, not exactly UPG, I guess, but my UP"how stuff works":

Frequently, though not always, days, nights, and other times of significance tend to run in cycles. Extreme points on the cycle have opposites.

For example, there are two solstices and two equinoxes and they are opposite from each other. The solstices are not only opposite each other on the Wheel of the Year, but they are opposite each other in attributes, too -- longest day and longest night.

Between them are the Cross-Quarter Days, which also move in a cycle and are also opposite each other.

Together, the two groups of Sabbats make up the Wheel of the Year, and form one big cycle.

The same thing goes with the Moon. There's the full moon and the new moon. For some people only one of those phases has significance, for others both do, and for some neither do. But even if both the full and new moons both have significance for someone, the times in between that are not extremes on the cycle probably won't -- unless you have a specific reason for it. I do lunar witchcraft, so the First Quarter is as important and distinct for me as the full moon.

The same goes for specific Trads. Some might have a reason, pertinent to them alone, for why a specific moon has significance, but most probably won't.

IMO, just as the Spring Equinox is neither greater nor lesser than the Autumn Equinox -- neither is the moon in July greater or lesser than any of the others throughout the rest of the year.

Again, just my opinion. except the Lovecraft thing. Hmm. Should insert a link.

http://www.netherreal.de/library/lexicon/lexfram.htm
"Modesty is an illusion" -- de Sade
"The call of death is a call of love. Death can be sweet if we answer it in the affirmative, if we accept it as one of the great eternal forms of life and transformation." -- Herman Hesse

Akyana

  • Apprentice
  • ***
  • Join Date: May 2013
  • Posts: 21
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Re: New Moon July 8th ritual
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2013, 06:00:11 pm »
Quote from: Leanan Sidhe;114086
Yeah. I believe that was a comment made because by that point many people were at the end of TC's collective rope.

The term "Great Old Ones" is a reference to some deities (and other entities) from fiction writer H.P. Lovecraft's mythology.

...
IMO, just as the Spring Equinox is neither greater nor lesser than the Autumn Equinox -- neither is the moon in July greater or lesser than any of the others throughout the rest of the year.

Again, just my opinion. except the Lovecraft thing. Hmm. Should insert a link.

http://www.netherreal.de/library/lexicon/lexfram.htm

Leanan,

...thank you.


Leanan Sidhe

  • Journeyman
  • *****
  • Join Date: Jan 2012
  • Posts: 198
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Re: New Moon July 8th ritual
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2013, 06:25:41 pm »
Quote from: Akyana;114187
Leanan,

...thank you.


 
No problem. And, wow, that's a beautiful picture!
"Modesty is an illusion" -- de Sade
"The call of death is a call of love. Death can be sweet if we answer it in the affirmative, if we accept it as one of the great eternal forms of life and transformation." -- Herman Hesse

Tags:
 

Related Topics

  Subject / Started by Replies Last post
11 Replies
3015 Views
Last post October 27, 2011, 02:21:05 pm
by Tamina
9 Replies
2778 Views
Last post January 21, 2015, 03:32:46 am
by SunflowerP
0 Replies
840 Views
Last post July 02, 2015, 07:52:53 pm
by Nica_13
8 Replies
1539 Views
Last post April 28, 2016, 06:46:42 am
by MeadowRae
0 Replies
501 Views
Last post May 07, 2016, 08:04:51 pm
by Aisling

* Who's Online

  • Dot Guests: 46
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 2
  • Dot Users Online:

* Please Donate!

The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.

* In Memoriam

Chavi (2006)
Elspeth (2010)
Marilyn (2013)

* Cauldron Staff

Co-Hosts:
LyricFox & Randall

Senior Staff:
Darkhawk

Message Board Staff
Board Coordinator:
Sunflower

Assistant Board Coordinator:
Aster Breo

Board Staff:
Allaya, Chatelaine, HarpingHawke, Jenett, Morag, rocquelaire, Sefiru

Discord Chat Staff
Chat Coordinator:
Morag

Reserve Staff:
Aisling

Cauldron Council:
Bob, Catja, Emma-Eldritch, Fausta, Jubes, Kelly, Phouka, Sperran, Star, Steve, Tana

Cauldron Assistants
[Non-Staff Positions]

Site Assistants
[Non-Staff Positions]
Webmaster:
Randall