collapse

* "Unable to verify referring url. Please go back and try again" Problem Logging In?

If you get an "Unable to verify referring url. Please go back and try again" error when you try to log in, you need to be sure you are accessing the board with a url that starts with "https://ecauldron.com".  If it starts with https://www.ecauldron.com" (or "http://www.ecauldron.com") you will get this error because "www.ecauldron.com" is not technically the same website as "ecauldron.com". Moving to the more secure "https" means it is more picky about such things.

Author Topic: Southern Magic?  (Read 8636 times)

TisiphoneSeraph

  • Apprentice
  • ***
  • Join Date: Jul 2011
  • Posts: 38
  • Country: 00
  • Total likes: 7
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Recon-Informed Eclectic
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/them/theirs
Re: Southern Magic?
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2011, 09:26:58 am »
Quote from: Nuri;10375
Hi out there, I'm new here, and I decided to post my first question here. I was raised in the Southeastern United States, and if you have ever visited or anything, you know how unique it is down here! I've been looking for some time trying to research any Southern pagan rituals or spirituality. So far, nothing! I know much of the South is located in the Bible Belt, but maybe there's something out there? I'm not looking for Voodoo or anything, although I know that's the other biggest practice in the South. Well, if anyone has any information, please let me know! thank you so much!

 
I second everyone who's suggested hoodoo. By far what I saw when I lived in Tennessee and when I spent time in North Carolina was hoodoo or hoodoo-inspired practices.

Appalachian Folk Magic would be a good place to start, but the concerns that that addresses are very influenced by the landscape and the lack of connectedness a lot of people faced/still face in those areas. I go to university in West Virginia and the feeling the mountains is a lot different the feeling of the South.

So while it may be useful in some aspects I think you'd be better off looking in more local traditions and superstitions. Along those lines, I would say to check out Native American traditions in your area as those sorts of rituals were made in response to the landscape.

If you look hard enough or if you're skilled with digging through primary sources, you'll find weird traditions that may have had their roots in folk magic. I remember reading in one of the Foxfire books about "drawing the heat out" of people who are sick. I can't remember at the moment which it was. But there are things like that to look into, things that may now be considered Christian but are probably folk magic under a different name.
divination thoughts over at hillbilly oracle

NibbleKat

  • Master Member
  • ******
  • Join Date: Jul 2011
  • Posts: 401
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
    • http://nibblekat.deviantart.com
Re: Southern Magic?
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2011, 11:36:18 am »
Quote from: KittyVel;10413
Well, I cant' really answer your question, but I can definitely relate!  I live in North Carolina (Hey, we're practically next door!  XD), so I know how you feel about being stuck in the Bible Belt and being unable to find others practicing the same beliefs.  I don't know ANYONE (that isn't on the internet) that practices Kemeticism.  And being so new at it, it's difficult to figure things out without having someone else around who knows what they're doing.

 
Hey, I'm in Hillsborough!
I do altar art, icons, and pagan art!
http://nibblekat.deviantart.com
Ask if you\'re interested.

evewitch

  • Sr. Newbie
  • **
  • Join Date: Jul 2011
  • Posts: 11
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Southern Magic?
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2011, 11:44:32 am »
Quote from: stephyjh;10487
(I'm in NC at the moment, by the way.)


Me three! I am in North Carolina also.

That said, I have nothing elseto add to the conversation. Even though I have lived here almost all of my life, I don't feel particularly Southern.

TisiphoneSeraph

  • Apprentice
  • ***
  • Join Date: Jul 2011
  • Posts: 38
  • Country: 00
  • Total likes: 7
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Recon-Informed Eclectic
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/them/theirs
Re: Southern Magic?
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2011, 06:40:40 pm »
Quote from: evewitch;11698
Even though I have lived here almost all of my life, I don't feel particularly Southern.

 
I spent the better part of my life in Tennessee, was raised there, but I don't feel all that "southern" either. I just have quirks here and there.

Interesting how that works out.
divination thoughts over at hillbilly oracle

KittyVel

  • Master Member
  • ******
  • Join Date: Jul 2011
  • Posts: 366
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Southern Magic?
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2011, 02:31:55 am »
Quote from: NibbleKat;11693
Hey, I'm in Hillsborough!

 
Are you really?  I'm in Greensboro, and I have family in Hillsborough!  :3
<3 Rest in peace, Christiana. I love you so much, and I miss you like crazy already. At least you\'re not hurting anymore...May you ascend. <3

KittyVel

  • Master Member
  • ******
  • Join Date: Jul 2011
  • Posts: 366
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Southern Magic?
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2011, 02:33:27 am »
Quote from: evewitch;11698
Me three! I am in North Carolina also.

That said, I have nothing elseto add to the conversation. Even though I have lived here almost all of my life, I don't feel particularly Southern.

 
Haha, I don't feel very southern either.  I often forget just how south North Carolina actually is on the map.  XD  My whole family is fairly southern though, so I do have my quirks, and I definitely love my biscuits, gravy, and grits!  lol
<3 Rest in peace, Christiana. I love you so much, and I miss you like crazy already. At least you\'re not hurting anymore...May you ascend. <3

Livia Indica

  • Sr. Apprentice
  • ****
  • Join Date: Aug 2011
  • Posts: 61
  • Total likes: 1
    • View Profile
Re: Southern Magic?
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2011, 11:08:12 pm »
Quote from: Nuri;10375
Hi out there, I'm new here, and I decided to post my first question here. I was raised in the Southeastern United States, and if you have ever visited or anything, you know how unique it is down here! I've been looking for some time trying to research any Southern pagan rituals or spirituality. So far, nothing! I know much of the South is located in the Bible Belt, but maybe there's something out there? I'm not looking for Voodoo or anything, although I know that's the other biggest practice in the South. Well, if anyone has any information, please let me know! thank you so much!

 
I would also recommend the books of folklorists like Vance Randolph. He wrote about my area, the Ozarks, which has ties, folk magic wise, with Appalachia.

stephyjh

  • Grand Master Member
  • *******
  • Join Date: Jul 2011
  • Posts: 1597
  • Total likes: 2
    • View Profile
Re: Southern Magic?
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2011, 11:40:18 pm »
Quote from: KittyVel;11919
Are you really?  I'm in Greensboro, and I have family in Hillsborough!  :3


I'm in Salisbury, have an aunt and uncle in Greensboro, and my mother is in grad school at UNC-Chapel Hill!
A heretic blast has been blown in the west,
That what is no sense must be nonsense.

-Robert Burns

KittyVel

  • Master Member
  • ******
  • Join Date: Jul 2011
  • Posts: 366
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Southern Magic?
« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2011, 05:41:54 pm »
Quote from: stephyjh;12158
I'm in Salisbury, have an aunt and uncle in Greensboro, and my mother is in grad school at UNC-Chapel Hill!

 
That's awesome!  (UNC!  GO HEELS GO!  <3  X3)
<3 Rest in peace, Christiana. I love you so much, and I miss you like crazy already. At least you\'re not hurting anymore...May you ascend. <3

rainbowgrower

  • Apprentice
  • ***
  • Join Date: Aug 2011
  • Posts: 49
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Southern Magic?
« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2011, 09:28:42 am »
Quote from: NibbleKat;11693
Hey, I'm in Hillsborough!

 
The south is known for trickster magic, most of these places mentioned are not south at all, they are in the northern hemisphere of the planet!! LOL

monsnoleedra

  • Sr. Master Member
  • *******
  • Join Date: Jul 2011
  • Banned!
  • Posts: 957
  • Total likes: 1
    • View Profile
Re: Southern Magic?
« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2011, 10:05:20 am »
Quote from: rainbowgrower;17598
The south is known for trickster magic, most of these places mentioned are not south at all, they are in the northern hemisphere of the planet!! LOL


All I can say is Wow.  All those places are in the South in comparrison to the geographical area being discussed.  More specifically in regards to the specific type of practices being refered to and the region of inclusion.  Yet I agree they are in the North in comparrison to the equator.

Yet you missed on the key issue that things are inverse south of the equator so one moves all things in the opposite direction.  Though I can only assume that the trickster you refer to is Jaguar.

But trickster magics only you've evidently failed to look into anything dealing with the Maya, The Inca, The Toltecs, the Austrilian Aboroginal practices, most of the Southern Pacific practices, etc.

Lecia Hale

  • Apprentice
  • ***
  • Join Date: Aug 2011
  • Posts: 22
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Southern Magic?
« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2011, 11:21:53 am »
Quote from: Nuri;10375
Hi out there, I'm new here, and I decided to post my first question here. I was raised in the Southeastern United States, and if you have ever visited or anything, you know how unique it is down here! I've been looking for some time trying to research any Southern pagan rituals or spirituality. So far, nothing! I know much of the South is located in the Bible Belt, but maybe there's something out there? I'm not looking for Voodoo or anything, although I know that's the other biggest practice in the South. Well, if anyone has any information, please let me know! thank you so much!


Try looking into the writings of Orion Foxwood.  He's a Pagan, a Southern Conjurer, and has developed a tradition called Faery Seership. He is on the panel of conjurers and hoodoo rootworkers on the podcast, Conjure Crossroads, and he's been a guest on several other podcasts.
Bedazzlecat who sucks at signatures...

spoOk

  • Master Member
  • ******
  • Join Date: Jul 2011
  • Posts: 411
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Southern Magic?
« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2011, 02:53:51 am »
Quote from: monsnoleedra;17602
All I can say is Wow.  All those places are in the South in comparrison to the geographical area being discussed.  More specifically in regards to the specific type of practices being refered to and the region of inclusion.  Yet I agree they are in the North in comparrison to the equator.

Yet you missed on the key issue that things are inverse south of the equator so one moves all things in the opposite direction.  Though I can only assume that the trickster you refer to is Jaguar.

But trickster magics only you've evidently failed to look into anything dealing with the Maya, The Inca, The Toltecs, the Austrilian Aboroginal practices, most of the Southern Pacific practices, etc.

 
every where has tricksters....loki,raven,hare,fox,coyote...
Ize bel zafen.
Ize bel daleen.

hufflee

  • Journeyman
  • *****
  • Join Date: Aug 2011
  • Posts: 203
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Southern Magic?
« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2011, 01:36:13 pm »
Quote from: Nuri;10375
Hi out there, I'm new here, and I decided to post my first question here. I was raised in the Southeastern United States, and if you have ever visited or anything, you know how unique it is down here! I've been looking for some time trying to research any Southern pagan rituals or spirituality. So far, nothing! I know much of the South is located in the Bible Belt, but maybe there's something out there? I'm not looking for Voodoo or anything, although I know that's the other biggest practice in the South. Well, if anyone has any information, please let me know! thank you so much!


The article in this thread that is so controversial (between our members) has a link in it to the Appalachian Pagan Alliance. You might be able to find some good information more in tune with what you're looking for from the people there. Good luck!
When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change - Unknown
"This [the Irish] is one race of people for whom psychoanalysis is of no use whatsoever."
Sigmund Freud (My Irish heart is laughing)

hufflee

  • Journeyman
  • *****
  • Join Date: Aug 2011
  • Posts: 203
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Southern Magic?
« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2011, 01:38:16 pm »
Quote from: hufflee;22359
The article in this thread that is so controversial (between our members) has a link in it to the Appalachian Pagan Alliance. You might be able to find some good information more in tune with what you're looking for from the people there. Good luck!

 
Here's the link so you don't have to go looking for it.

http://www.angelfire.com/nb/appalachianpagan/
When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change - Unknown
"This [the Irish] is one race of people for whom psychoanalysis is of no use whatsoever."
Sigmund Freud (My Irish heart is laughing)

Tags:
 

Related Topics

  Subject / Started by Replies Last post
4 Replies
2298 Views
Last post December 13, 2012, 01:40:52 pm
by Holdasown
10 Replies
1012 Views
Last post July 10, 2013, 06:39:33 pm
by Thanatoic Discipline
0 Replies
2120 Views
Last post July 05, 2013, 04:29:46 pm
by Jenett
3 Replies
1583 Views
Last post October 23, 2013, 03:46:45 pm
by SunflowerP
0 Replies
474 Views
Last post April 11, 2014, 02:17:31 pm
by beith

* Who's Online

  • Dot Guests: 22
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 2
  • Dot Users Online:

* Please Donate!

The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.

* In Memoriam

Chavi (2006)
Elspeth (2010)
Marilyn (2013)

* Cauldron Staff

Host:
Sunflower

Message Board Staff
Board Coordinator:
Darkhawk

Assistant Board Coordinator:
Aster Breo

Senior Staff:
Aisling, Jenett, Sefiru

Staff:
Allaya, Chatelaine, EclecticWheel, HarpingHawke, Kylara, PerditaPickle, rocquelaire

Discord Chat Staff
Chat Coordinator:
Morag

Cauldron Council:
Bob, Catja, Emma-Eldritch, Fausta, Jubes, Kelly, LyricFox, Phouka, Sperran, Star, Steve, Tana

Site Administrator:
Randall