Author Topic: Prayer  (Read 1091 times)

EclecticWheel

• Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Christo-Eclectic
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
Prayer
« on: December 14, 2018, 07:40:17 pm »
What does prayer look like in your practice whatever that happens to be? How much time do you spend in prayer?  What is its purpose for you?
My personal moral code:

Love wisely, and do what thou wilt.

EclecticWheel

• Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Christo-Eclectic
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
Re: Prayer
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2018, 07:41:34 pm »
What does prayer look like in your practice whatever that happens to be? How much time do you spend in prayer?  What is its purpose for you?

If you don't pray, do you do something else with a similar function?
My personal moral code:

Love wisely, and do what thou wilt.

Redfaery

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2018, 08:20:40 pm »
I'm Buddhist. My main form of prayer is the recitation of the Refuge formula 3 times, preferably twice a day, with prostrations. It's basically a profession of faith in the "three jewels" aka the Buddha, the Dharma, and the Sangha.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

KARMA: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

IceAngie

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Religious witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she, her, hers
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2018, 08:11:13 am »

I'm currently praying to two deities: my Lord and Brighid.

To my Lord I read from a specific book He pointed at me (and this book may or may not change whenever He pleases), then I read some meditations and I say the prayers He likes. I do this everyday, in the morning if I can.

I'm starting again with Brighidine flamekeeping, so when it's my shift I light the candle and recite the Genealogy of Brighid, along with some adorations I found on the internet. I want to do the same thing when my shift ends, but I've only had one shift so far and I couldn't do it because... twins!

Also, if there's anything particular I need to ask for, I do a small prayer with an offering to Brighid if it's on Her domain, or to my Lord if it's about anything else.

I also pray to myself, reciting over and over what I want to achieve, like a mantra. For example "I'm healthy" when I'm not feeling well.
Angeles/IceAngie/Selegna.

EmberHearth

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Creative, Inclusive Celto-Germanic Syncretism (roughly Northern Tradition) / UCC
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2018, 10:23:05 pm »

When I was a teenager, my father purchased a copy of the Book of Hours that RC priests use throughout the day and Year.

The past couple of years have been highly stressful, so I started looking into what I would do for a more structured prayer practice.

I found the Order of the Horae website, and liked a lot of what I saw.  My own practice is less Classical and more Northern, so I've adapted it.

Where they use the 12 "hours" of the day, I adopted Nigel Pennicks eight tides (of the day).

Also, my Pagan side has a strong astronomical component.  So I've found a number of different prayers to Sunna, Mani, Daeg, Nott, by Raven Kaldera, Molly Khan, Wyrd Designs and others, mixed in with the Carmina Gaedelica and Clann Bhride suggestions.

On waking: "Bless to me, O God," Daeg, Sunna, Bhride
(I may add a Morning Star verse when I find one I like.)

Mid-morning, I honor the Deity for the day of the week
- Sunna
- Mani
- Tyr (as I'm reading up on Urglaawe, I may add Zisa here)
- Odin
- Thor
- Frigga, Freya, and Freyr
- Njord and Nerthus

Around noon, I say another prayer for the sun, a meal prayer, and the Clann Bhride mid-day.

Afternoon, I'm compiling a set of prayers to honor the tides of the year.  It's still somewhat Wiccan-Celtic, though I've been shifting to the Heathen tides.  The Germanic tides are usually less-strictly scheduled.

- Yule as a season.  I started with 12 days, but It's probably longer.
- Mardi Gras / Plough Monday / Disting / Imbolc. Frau Holle, Freya as Vanadis, and of course Brighid. I also have a personal memorial during those weeks
- Eostre / Easter.
- May Eve and Beltaine
- Litha: Northr / Nuada / Mannawyddan
- Lughnassadh / Lokabrenna
- Harvest Home / Mabon / Freyr / Zisa's feast
- Winter Nights / Samhain

Evening: Sunna's setting, Prayers for the lunar cycle.  I found Molly Khan's prayers to Mani based on the lunar phase, and am using those.

Nighttide: Mani, Nott, Sinthgunt, the Clann Bhride evening prayers, and "Compass me this Night."  If/when I do a Morning Star prayer,  here will have a matching Evening Star one.
I also might add Earendil as the planet Jupiter.

I don't do everything every day, yet. Sometimes the rising & mid-morning sequences are grouped together. I'm usually not awake for Uht, 2:30-4:30 am, so I don't think I have any of those.

I'm starting to work on a stellar cycle, probably zodiac-related, that I'll connect to Sinthgunt/Senuna/Stirona.

[Edited to fix broken link - SP]
« Last Edit: December 23, 2018, 10:39:31 pm by SunflowerP »

Jainarayan

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2018, 10:31:42 am »

It can be simply talking to our deity(ies) or chanting hymns, mantras and verses from scriptures in Sanskrit. Many people do not know the meanings, but that's OK, because it's the sound and the energy of it that's important. There is a form of mantra called gayatri. It is 3 lines of 8 syllables (not including the om that must precede it). There is at least one for almost every deity, and they all follow the same format. For example, the one for Goddess Lakshmi:

om mahalakshmyai cha vidmahe
vishnupatnyai cha dhimahi
tanno lakshmih prachodayat

Meaning (loosely) "Let me meditate on (great Goddess) Lakshmi
May the wife of Vishnu give me understanding
May Lakshmi enlighten my mind".

Some people will chant these mantras 108 times using prayer beads.

I do some combination of these, usually daily. I talk to God (mostly Krishna in my case but often to other deities), or I chant mantras appropriate to the occasion.

Tags: