Spirituality in the age of social media by Sefiru
[Yesterday at 08:28:55 pm]

Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[April 15, 2024, 03:15:33 am]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Altair
[April 09, 2024, 09:29:08 am]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Jenett
[April 08, 2024, 09:09:39 pm]

Author Topic: Post-meditatiion/trance numbness and other weird sensations?  (Read 2384 times)

SkySamuelle

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://seastruckbythecrossroads.wordpress.com/
Post-meditatiion/trance numbness and other weird sensations?
« on: December 02, 2011, 02:36:03 pm »
I brought this issue up in the thread about Baron Samedi and Maman Brigitte, but i thought maybe someone could help me to understand better if I explained the episode in a more 'public' thread.

Yesterday shared my lunch with the Baron and Maman Brigitte and after one hour or so, I laid down in my bed with the intention of meditating a bit... i thought i was going to relax better under my covers' warmth, and it looked like it was working. I remember my mind drifting to the Baron, and expressing my intent to connect with him ...but i didn't really sensed him or anything else... i rather slipped in a weird semi-waking state, where i had the freaky feeling my eyes were rolling backwards rytmically -the type of movement they are supposed to do during an epilectic crisis, but then i opened them as test and i saw right fine even if the bizzare sensation remained- my body felt heavy but i could move it and roll over... i was hyperaware of the sounds of the apartment above mine, and my heartbeat felt so fast and loud, i could feel my pulse as rapid, bothersome throbbing in my throat.
I stayed like this for something like two hours without even realizing... until my aunt rang the bell, and i was out the bed to answer to the door like i was never 'asleep at all'.
 Normally, i would think simply that i failed to relax enough to get into a meditative state, but the aftermath was weird enough that i second guess that - i felt numb and cold at the same time, i shivered but i couldn't quite feel it, because there was that numb-like heaviness to my limbs. I didn't start to feel better until i turned on the heater and stood basically attached to it for 10-15 minutes or so...then I ate something and i was back to normal, settling back into natural room temperature without even missing the heater's warmth.

Now i am not sure what's happened, or if i am merely exaggerating and overthinking but... it was so weird. I can't completely convince myself of anything.

On a side, i think some of the stuff i experienced after this episode was compatible with post-trance sensations... on an another side, it felt like i was way too grounded into my body for it to be quite that.

Maybe I really 'connected' with the Baron but i had not the mental tools to articulate the experience better.  It baffles me.

Thoughts?
“Sometimes you wake up. Sometimes the fall kills you. And sometimes, when you fall, you fly.” ― Neil Gaiman *
Currently blogging at: http://seastruckbythecrossroads.wordpress.com/
Icon by jewelotus

Jenett

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Seeking: First steps on a path
  • Religion: Initiatory religious witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
Re: Post-meditatiion/trance numbness and other weird sensations?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2011, 07:49:15 pm »
Quote from: SkySamuelle;32701

On a side, i think some of the stuff i experienced after this episode was compatible with post-trance sensations... on an another side, it felt like i was way too grounded into my body for it to be quite that.

First - there are lots of ways to trance. What you describe is comfortably within the range of "Yep, trance", though for someone else (or for you at another point in time) it might not be, too.

In particular, the body feeling heavy, hearing sounds in your body (like your heartbeat) and feeling cold (especially in the extremities) are all physical signs of deep trance. At such times, your body pulls resources inwards (your circulation will actually drop in your hands and feet - that's why they feel colder), something similar makes it easier for you to hear your pulse through the bone conductivity in your ears, and feeling heavy is a sign of muscle relaxation. (A particular type of muscle fiber response, if I remember right, but I am not going to look it up tonight.)

It's also not entirely uncommon to have rapid eye movement in trance. (I can rarely feel it when I do it myself, but I'm told I've done it by reliable witnesses) and other kinds of unconscious eye movement can happen to.

Mostly, my experience is that these stronger symptoms don't happen all the time, but that they can take some time to recover from. (This is part of why people advice both an induction into trance, and a controlled way to come out of it - part of why you might have had this happen is being shocked back into the physical world by your aunt ringing the bell.) Eating is definitely smart, along with whatever other grounding methods you like you use.

Generally, it's good to wait for a while (30-45 minutes) before driving or doing anything else that has risks if you space out (cutting up vegetables with a sharp knife, for example. Think of it like swimming right after you eat: you're putting a weird combination of requests on your body, and it's better if you give each one some time of its own to settle.
Seek Knowledge, Find Wisdom: Research help on esoteric and eclectic topics (consulting and other services)

Seeking: first steps on a Pagan path (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism)

SatSekhem

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://satsekhem.wordpress.com/
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2011, 11:21:32 pm »
Thoughts?

I already commented in the Baron thread, but I figured it would be best served over here.

What do you think about astral projection? I don't know why it came to me when I was re-reading this, but it did. What if you started to astrally project yourself but couldn't quite break free?
Religious Blog
Regular Blog

In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move. - Douglas Adams

monsnoleedra

• Sr. Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2011, 11:30:14 pm »
Quote from: SatSekhem;32799
I already commented in the Baron thread, but I figured it would be best served over here.

What do you think about astral projection? I don't know why it came to me when I was re-reading this, but it did. What if you started to astrally project yourself but couldn't quite break free?

My first though was of a failed Out of Bodie Experience (O.B.E.).  The though of ones eyes being out of alignment, limbs being cold and heavy are some of the signs of an O.B.E..  The sensation of falling but getting a sort of electrical jolt that holds you in another common one I have experienced myself.  The distortion of time while an indicator of many different states of mind is also a common occurance with attempted O.B.E. states.

SkySamuelle

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2011, 11:57:10 pm »
Quote from: Jenett;32757
First - there are lots of ways to trance. What you describe is comfortably within the range of "Yep, trance", though for someone else (or for you at another point in time) it might not be, too.

In particular, the body feeling heavy, hearing sounds in your body (like your heartbeat) and feeling cold (especially in the extremities) are all physical signs of deep trance. At such times, your body pulls resources inwards (your circulation will actually drop in your hands and feet - that's why they feel colder), something similar makes it easier for you to hear your pulse through the bone conductivity in your ears, and feeling heavy is a sign of muscle relaxation. (A particular type of muscle fiber response, if I remember right, but I am not going to look it up tonight.)

It's also not entirely uncommon to have rapid eye movement in trance. (I can rarely feel it when I do it myself, but I'm told I've done it by reliable witnesses) and other kinds of unconscious eye movement can happen to.

Mostly, my experience is that these stronger symptoms don't happen all the time, but that they can take some time to recover from. (This is part of why people advice both an induction into trance, and a controlled way to come out of it - part of why you might have had this happen is being shocked back into the physical world by your aunt ringing the bell.) Eating is definitely smart, along with whatever other grounding methods you like you use.

Generally, it's good to wait for a while (30-45 minutes) before driving or doing anything else that has risks if you space out (cutting up vegetables with a sharp knife, for example. Think of it like swimming right after you eat: you're putting a weird combination of requests on your body, and it's better if you give each one some time of its own to settle.

thank you for all the extensive info. There was a lot of explaining on bodyliy responses during trance i didn't know.

Quote from: SatSekhem;32799

Quote from: monsnoleedra;32801
My first though was of a failed Out of Bodie Experience (O.B.E.).  The though of ones eyes being out of alignment, limbs being cold and heavy are some of the signs of an O.B.E..  The sensation of falling but getting a sort of electrical jolt that holds you in another common one I have experienced myself.  The distortion of time while an indicator of many different states of mind is also a common occurance with attempted O.B.E. states.

Possible. I remember astrally projecting at least once during sleep. I was actually convinced i was awake and I was getting up to go in kitchen ... until you know, i didn't realize i could not turn on the light, however hard i tried - i kept standing by the buttom but my fingers could not properly press it, even as they centered it...and then i gave up, decided that maybe i had to come back to bed... and this is when i litterally jolted awake in my bed.

Now I think of it, yesterday the dominant sensation was the sense of being 'struck' - i was too aware of those stimula to properly to pass to the next stage of meditation, and i kept waiting for it to pass... which didn't happen either because i picked the wrong moment for this or because my aunt visiting got me out of it.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2011, 07:39:28 am by SunflowerP »
“Sometimes you wake up. Sometimes the fall kills you. And sometimes, when you fall, you fly.” ― Neil Gaiman *
Icon by jewelotus

SkySamuelle

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2011, 12:24:13 am »
Quote from: SkySamuelle;32805

Possible. I remember astrally projecting at least once during sleep. I was actually convinced i was awake and I was getting up to go in kitchen ... until you know, i didn't realize i could not turn on the light, however hard i tried - i kept standing by the buttom but my fingers could not properly press it, even as they centered it...and then i gave up, decided that maybe i had to come back to bed... and this is when i litterally jolted awake in my bed.

Added out of precision's sake:  there was one other time where i projected into someone else healing ritual -it was weird, it was like someone had called there everybody who could pick up on the signal, but then i was prickled by something/someone and i jolted back into my body- even then it was during my sleep and utterly non-programmed.

So i suppose it wouldn't be unprecedented.
Icon by jewelotus

monsnoleedra

• Sr. Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2011, 12:35:55 am »
Quote from: SkySamuelle;32809
Added out of precision's sake:  there was one other time where i projected into someone else healing ritual -it was weird, it was like someone had called there everybody who could pick up on the signal, but then i was prickled by something/someone and i jolted back into my body- even then it was during my sleep and utterly non-programmed.

So i suppose it wouldn't be unprecedented.

That almost sounds like remote viewing.  You have a sense of your own body but your conscious and awareness is projected outward.  Then you can either look at what is transpiring at some location or event, or at times you seem to occupy the body of a receiver at the event and view it all through their eyes and senses.

When I have done it is has seemed at times as if I was in a theatre and watching it upon a screen while other times I had to remind myself I was only experiencing what another was seeing and doing.

SkySamuelle

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2011, 05:25:49 am »
Quote from: monsnoleedra;32812
That almost sounds like remote viewing.  You have a sense of your own body but your conscious and awareness is projected outward.  Then you can either look at what is transpiring at some location or event, or at times you seem to occupy the body of a receiver at the event and view it all through their eyes and senses.

When I have done it is has seemed at times as if I was in a theatre and watching it upon a screen while other times I had to remind myself I was only experiencing what another was seeing and doing.

The difference here being that i could interact with my surroundings and the people involved in the ritual. I even recognized two among the partecipants to the ritual as the ownes of the local new age library ... I am not familiar with coven rituals, but i have read that some rites can take place on the astral plane and borrow power from outsiders  that can 'sintonize' with it. One thing i could never understand is that before I could even have a gist of what was happening i had a guy removing a sort of tick from my cheek- the sting of the gesture was physically painful, in a jolting kind of way that sent me spiralling back into my body.

I never found any kind of text that could explain that situation precisely, so i am curious about what's your interpretation of this, as you seem experienced about this... ot at least more so than i do.
Icon by jewelotus

monsnoleedra

• Sr. Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2011, 06:07:54 am »
Quote from: SkySamuelle;32828
The difference here being that i could interact with my surroundings and the people involved in the ritual. I even recognized two among the partecipants to the ritual as the ownes of the local new age library ...

This facet you definately have something on me as I have never encountered someone I know when I project and have them interact with me.  The closest I ever came was to be able to view them and have them have a sense of my presence.

The only time I was ever able to actually interact was in dream time as a dream walker.  But that is specifically dream time and not during meditation or trance work in my experience.

I am not familiar with coven rituals, but i have read that some rites can take place on the astral plane and borrow power from outsiders  that can 'sintonize' with it.

I know within the Family Trad I am part of and the Stregian practice I was initiated into all ceremonies & rituals were held upon what was known as the physical plain, the etheral plain and the astral plain's of existence.  It was part of what might be seen as raising energy and crreating the sacred space to competely envelope the practitioner or group.

The best way I can describe the influence was like the notion of bugs attracted to a light.  The more you did the more the sphere seemed to widen yet it also leaves a residule charge that others can sense and tap into or be tapped into.  I suppose in some ways it migth be seen in the light of mass hypnosis (sp) where you become part of the group and the group part of you.

One thing i could never understand is that before I could even have a gist of what was happening i had a guy removing a sort of tick from my cheek- the sting of the gesture was physically painful, in a jolting kind of way that sent me spiralling back into my body.

The closet thing I can relate to this is when I was pulled into a totem ceremony but was not ready for certain parts.  As I reached a certain stage I had a tumor or other obstruction plucked from me and the shock would force my spirit back into my physical body.  Then I would find I spent weeks or months healing that area, sometimes pyschological other times spiritual or physical, then be brough back before the totem ceremony.

From a shamanic perspective my guides would tell me I was not ready to face whatever was associated with the item.  Sometimes a situation dealing with Shadow facets of self, other times more associated to fragmented aspects of self.  For instance I had issue's with snake as a shadow totem and fragmented facet of self.  For me it was a fang that hung in my skin that was pulled and made me face those fears before I could re-face snake's shadow medicine.

I never found any kind of text that could explain that situation precisely, so i am curious about what's your interpretation of this, as you seem experienced about this... ot at least more so than i do.

Not sure I helped or hindered you here but hopefully it will prove of use to you.  One thing I have found though is many shamanic type experiences are so unique to the individual that it is difficult to find an exactness to them that matches the experiences of another.

Factor in Hekate's / Hecate's influences and it makes it even more interesting.

SkySamuelle

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2011, 06:38:44 am »
Quote from: monsnoleedra;32831
This facet you definately have something on me as I have never encountered someone I know when I project and have them interact with me.  The closest I ever came was to be able to view them and have them have a sense of my presence.

The only time I was ever able to actually interact was in dream time as a dream walker.  But that is specifically dream time and not during meditation or trance work in my experience.

I know within the Family Trad I am part of and the Stregian practice I was initiated into all ceremonies & rituals were held upon what was known as the physical plain, the etheral plain and the astral plain's of existence.  It was part of what might be seen as raising energy and crreating the sacred space to competely envelope the practitioner or group.

The best way I can describe the influence was like the notion of bugs attracted to a light.  The more you did the more the sphere seemed to widen yet it also leaves a residule charge that others can sense and tap into or be tapped into.  I suppose in some ways it migth be seen in the light of mass hypnosis (sp) where you become part of the group and the group part of you.

The closet thing I can relate to this is when I was pulled into a totem ceremony but was not ready for certain parts.  As I reached a certain stage I had a tumor or other obstruction plucked from me and the shock would force my spirit back into my physical body.  Then I would find I spent weeks or months healing that area, sometimes pyschological other times spiritual or physical, then be brough back before the totem ceremony.

From a shamanic perspective my guides would tell me I was not ready to face whatever was associated with the item.  Sometimes a situation dealing with Shadow facets of self, other times more associated to fragmented aspects of self.  For instance I had issue's with snake as a shadow totem and fragmented facet of self.  For me it was a fang that hung in my skin that was pulled and made me face those fears before I could re-face snake's shadow medicine.

Not sure I helped or hindered you here but hopefully it will prove of use to you.  One thing I have found though is many shamanic type experiences are so unique to the individual that it is difficult to find an exactness to them that matches the experiences of another.

Factor in Hekate's / Hecate's influences and it makes it even more interesting.

You definitely gave a lot to think over...i feel like there's a parallel i can draw between the situations but i am missing the ring of the chain that will make the connection apparent.  Hopefully I will eventually grasp it because my brain will keep backing to it until i do.
Icon by jewelotus

GaiaDianne

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2012, 03:52:33 pm »

Maybe I really 'connected' with the Baron but i had not the mental tools to articulate the experience better.  It baffles me.

Thoughts?

GAIADIANNE:

I agree with  what Jenett said......

Besides working on Grounding skills, You may want to do some research on the phenomenon of "Spiritual Emergence" -

I uploaded an article explaining and detailing it a bit, here;
http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/showthread.php?2444-Spiritual-Emergence&p=39787#post39787

I hope that's helpful -- Blessed Be ~ GaiaDianne

Tags: