collapse
2020 Donation Drive

It's time for our annual Server Donation Drive! We need to raise at least $710 to keep The Cauldron's server online for another year. Please help! Either hit that Paypal button to the right and make a one-time donation in any amount or set up a monthly Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor subscription. You can find more info in this message!

Donations as of 29 November 2020: $636 donated. Only $74 more needed! Thank you, donors!

Note: This total is updated manually, usually once a day

* Recent Posts

Re: Crazy thought by Anon100
[Today at 06:05:32 pm]

Re: Tigereye by PerditaPickle
[Today at 07:56:54 am]

Re: Tigereye by sevensons
[Today at 06:16:03 am]

Re: Recently Blogged by PerditaPickle
[Yesterday at 06:21:02 pm]

Re: What are you playing right now? by PerditaPickle
[Yesterday at 12:24:36 pm]

Author Topic: Meditations and Visualizations  (Read 3147 times)

Sefiru

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
Re: Meditations and Visualizations
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2017, 06:37:34 pm »
I've also found that telling myself stories, as if it's a first person story I'm writing in my head as I navigate the visualisation, works well for me. My brain works much better with a narrative, or at least some semblance of things happening, than just abstract visualisations.

My approach to meditation is the complete opposite to this: one of my goals in meditating is to get my "story channel" to shut up for once. (There's also "music channel" and "to-do list channel".) I usually use a candle flame and breathing a certain way as focuses. I generally don't use a timer because if I do, I get stuck on thinking about how much time is left on the clock  :-\

MadZealot

• Adept Member
  • Eye yam tu papi.
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Bitter Clinger. Sith Lord.
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2017, 12:05:55 am »
My approach to meditation is the complete opposite to this: one of my goals in meditating is to get my "story channel" to shut up for once.

This may sound weird, but I've had some with giving my brain permission to be quiet.  Sometimes I can help my body relax by simply letting it as well. 
Great way to just let the day's shit roll off of you, or if you just want to get into a liminal state.
Oh, is it time again to say "Fuck Trump gently in the ear with a swarm of pissed-off hornets?"?

Okay. Fuck Trump gently in the ear with a swarm of pissed-off hornets.

Hariti

• Sr. Master Member
  • ( Formerly known as EDF.)
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hindu with Christian and Pop-Culture Elements
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2017, 12:57:13 am »
My approach to meditation is the complete opposite to this: one of my goals in meditating is to get my "story channel" to shut up for once.

That sounds rather familiar. Sometimes I can't even sleep because my brain is off in Narnia or Never Never Land or wherever! When I need to meditate, I darken my room, turn on quiet chanting on my speakers, and sit in front of my altar with two candles... actually, they are fake candles, like the ones you use in hot tubs. It's safer that way and I don't think my gods mind. I have a sacred image on which I focus my eyes if I am particularly distracted.
"The worshippers of the gods go to them; to the manes go the ancestor-worshippers; to the Deities who preside over the elements go their worshippers; My devotees come to Me." ... "Whichever devotee desires to adore whatever such Deity with faith, in all such votaries I make that particular faith unshakable. Endowed with that faith, a votary performs the worship of that particular deity and obtains the fruits thereof, these being granted by Me alone." - Sri Krishna

Aisling

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic Pagan Witch
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2017, 04:54:48 pm »
You can add me to the list of people with mentally constructed sites used in meditation. Mine always starts with a gate, beyond which is a path that leads into the woods. This path is always the same, and never changes, though the time of day and weather varies (and doesn't seem to correspond with the real world either).

I'm another one of those who begin with a very specific mental image - a door that is always the same shape, colors, and design. In fact, most of my earliest experiences in visualization were simply getting to know this door in minute and  clear detail - knowing the texture of the wood and glass, the feel of the handle and ironwork, the weight of the door when it swings, etc.  Having this deep awareness of the door makes getting to it very easy even in times of extreme stress.

The environment surrounding the door varies depending on my mood, usually a natural place of some type. Always, there is a place like a deep well or flowing water to leave behind that which is not needed (e.g., stress) and I will always take at least a few seconds to discard any emotional/mental baggage.  I will then touch my hand against the door and incant an opening charm before actually reaching for the handle.

Then through the door I go. I try to be very consistently about shutting the door after I've passed through it and taking a moment to look at the door again (the 'back' side of the door is a design that is complimentary to but very different from the front -  this is an important visual reminder that I am no longer walking in the mundane world). 

What's on the other side of the door depends on what I need to do.  I have several constructed spaces that I return to repeatedly - a temple to my goddess, a space for meditation (literally, space - a very Hubble photo-esque place), a library (useful for recall of information), a warehouse (a place to access things that are hidden), and a sacred healing space.  Mind palace?  Check.

For ritual and spirit work, the door provides a good liminal spot to shift my focus.  Often, in these cases, what's on the other side of the door is the same as the physical space I am occupying.  The difference is that I have an awareness of things normally unseen.  Essentially, it's a way to take off the blinders that I happily wear most of the time.

Leaving the mental space is similar to entering it.  Find the door, make sure that the 'back' side is the one I'm facing, drop anything that doesn't need to come with me, and step through. Once through, look at the front of the door, touch it while incanting a sealing spell, and know that I'm returning to mundane mental space. 
"All your questions can be answered, if that is what you want.
But once you learn your answers, you can never unlearn them."
~Neil Gaiman,
American Gods

Altair

• Adept Member
  • Fly high and make the world follow
    • View Profile
    • Songs of the Metamythos
  • Religion: tree-hugging pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2017, 06:31:26 pm »
I'm another one of those who begin with a very specific mental image - a door that is always the same shape, colors, and design.

This sounds very cool and even more useful. Another technique I'll have to try.
The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs

Eleusis

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2017, 05:33:00 pm »
This sounds very cool and even more useful. Another technique I'll have to try.

This is a really interesting thread! Has anyone seen Bluefluke's Psychonaut Field Guide? There's some really useful techniques in there.

Altair

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2018, 09:07:56 am »
Let's see if there are other techniques for meditation or useful visualizations that we can share.

Reviving this thread, because I can't believe we've exhausted all the meditations we use.

Here's another one I use:

The Blank Screen Meditation

(I suspect this works well for me because I go to the movies a lot.) After 3 deep breaths to reset my mind, I settle into normal breathing, aware of the air in and out, and with eyes either open or shut, I visualize there's a big blank screen in front of me, as if in a movie theater before anything has started. I stare at that blank canvas for a while...

...and then I let myself fall into it, passing through the screen as if it was a doorway. Now I'm in a blank featureless room, but without walls or floor or ceiling; just empty space, of the same blank stuff as the screen. Importantly, there's no gravity here, and no orientation; no fixed up or down, left or right; no fixed distances; I just float in the space and spin around in it, taking in the lack of perspective. And then the hardest part...

...I become part of the blank space, eliminating all dimension. Up, down, left, right, distance no longer exist, because I've become part of the substance of the blankness. Instead of looking at a blank canvas or page, I *am* the blank canvas/page.

I usually end this meditation by reminding myself that I am entirely free to make what I want of this blankness; by what I "write" in it, I determine what I and my world will be.

I find it useful for trying to shake ingrained habits and set modes of thinking.
The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs

Kylara

• Staff
    • View Profile
    • https://www.patreon.com/kyndryana
  • Religion: Norse Fusion Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2018, 11:18:13 am »
Reviving this thread, because I can't believe we've exhausted all the meditations we use.

I'm another person who has a mental temple.  It has definitely changed/evolved over the years, depending on what I need at the time, and I have gone back and visited the older versions at times as well.  I got the idea from a book called Life 101 (I believe that was it..might have been another book by the same author), which had a mental control room of sorts.

The base idea is to have a space in your mind, that lets you access different tools.  There was a personal room (for getting away from it all), a medical room (for personal healing), a media room (used to access the collective unconscious and/or your own memories), a costume room (used to don different outfits to practice situations you might encounter in life), and a people mover (to bring anyone into your space so you can converse with them). 

I still use many of these rooms, and have added a few others (a doorway that takes me to wherever I want to go, I typically use this to start any journey) and a room for my primary guide/guardian.

I also have a temple-space that sometimes doubles as a home away from home.  Right now, it's a small, open cottage in a field by some woods.  There is a mountain nearby and a stream.  It has a kitchen and a bed as well as living space, but no walls.  There is a clear view of the sky from the bed but no weather falls there.

I use these spaces every night, as part of my ritual to get some sleep (very overactive brain, I find it helps if I give it instructions and let it play for a while).

I also do a lot of breath-work meditations.  I have different methods of breathing, depending on my goal.  In the morning, I breath into chakras, and then use a cycling breath that draws up my spine to my crown, then down to my belly and collects there.  To deep relax I breath in and out of the belly.  To power up, I breathe in and out of the chest.  I've done a form of reverse breathing (where you push the abdomen in to exhale, hard, and then let it billow out naturally on the inhale).  I like breath-work because it naturally stills my random thoughts, I am too busy focusing on my breathing to really think about a lot of other things.

I learned relaxation meditations when I was little, where you would either focus on (and color or paint) each part of your body, from your toes to your head, or you would tense and then relax each part.  The thoughts were tended to like a garden, pulling unwanted thoughts like weeds but watering the desired ones. 

There is a meditation called the 72 points, which calls attention to points in the body, mostly joints (not 72, you revisit some of them, but you call your focus 72 times).  I do this with breath, focusing on each point in turn and taking one full breath into and out of it.  This is a great one for when sleep is being troublesome.

Check out my Patreon for more writing and other goodies!

Ashmire

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic, featuring mainly East Asian and Egyptian plus pop-cultural influences
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2018, 12:38:56 pm »
Let's see if there are other techniques for meditation or useful visualizations that we can share.

One I use which I find helpful when overwhelmed by others' negativity or upsetting things in the outside world is kind of a variant of the mental Temple and shield concepts.  I imagine myself within an igloo, warmly bundled against the Arctic chill, and all the bad things as raging winds and pelting hail that instantly freeze and are totally neutralized as they uselessly assail the outer walls, becoming only another layer of protective insulating snow.  (It probably helps that I come from a snowy climate, though not quite the actual Arctic).

Altair

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2018, 12:09:37 am »
One I use which I find helpful when overwhelmed by others' negativity or upsetting things in the outside world is kind of a variant of the mental Temple and shield concepts.  I imagine myself within an igloo, warmly bundled against the Arctic chill, and all the bad things as raging winds and pelting hail that instantly freeze and are totally neutralized as they uselessly assail the outer walls, becoming only another layer of protective insulating snow.  (It probably helps that I come from a snowy climate, though not quite the actual Arctic).

Unfortunately, I don't need much imagination to visualize that this weekend. I just need to look out the window!

Altair

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2018, 12:26:41 am »
The base idea is to have a space in your mind, that lets you access different tools.  There was a personal room (for getting away from it all), a medical room (for personal healing), a media room (used to access the collective unconscious and/or your own memories), a costume room (used to don different outfits to practice situations you might encounter in life), and a people mover (to bring anyone into your space so you can converse with them). 

I still use many of these rooms, and have added a few others (a doorway that takes me to wherever I want to go, I typically use this to start any journey) and a room for my primary guide/guardian.

This is a neat idea. I could see where it would be very useful.

I'm kind of surprised I never struck on it on my own, considering it's congruent with an important part of my mythos. (In the myths there's a "palace within", which consists of a rambling series of rooms of various incredible natures...reflecting the human mind, where it resides.)

Aisling

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic Pagan Witch
« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2018, 05:49:35 pm »
The thoughts were tended to like a garden, pulling unwanted thoughts like weeds but watering the desired ones. 

Interesting idea! This could be really useful in attending to the myriad of thoughts that come with depression. Thanks for sharing it.
"All your questions can be answered, if that is what you want.
But once you learn your answers, you can never unlearn them."
~Neil Gaiman,
American Gods

Altair

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2018, 12:13:27 pm »
Here's another one I use:

My Body

This one starts off as a meditation when the focus is internal, then shifts into a sort of visualization as it goes from internal to external. The idea is to connect with living systems and expand the definition of self.

I start with 3 deep breaths, then settle into a natural breathing rhythm.

Once I'm comfortable with that, I try to be aware of my own body: the lungs taking in the air, that air passing through the sinuses...my heartbeat....the sensations on the skin, on the lips, the scalp...the layout of the muscles coiling underneath the skin, the nerves relaying sensation and motion control to my brain. I try to connect with all of it, to be consciously aware of it as if I'm about to use it, but without moving. I may move one small part of myself for a moment, just to be aware of the mind-body connection, of how it feels to trigger movement.

Next, I start visualizing the parts of myself I can't necessarily feel: the bones underneath the skin and sinew, the internal organs working away, the blood pulsing through veins and arteries. And then I expand to things that live on me and in me, always there and an integral part of me: the millions of bacteria of myriad kinds, without which life wouldn't be possible...the tardigrades living in my eyelashes, the fungi trying to colonize parts of my skin, the single-celled organism for whom I am home.

Then I try to visualize all the life in my immediate area: the microorganisms floating in the air, on the surfaces in my home...and expanding the area to include my neighborhood: the critters sleeping in the soil, the throngs of insects around even when we can't see any, and (this being NYC) yes, even the rats and pigeons. And people! hundreds of thousands of other people, all hosting their own riotous parties of organisms...and mice, and birds besides pigeons of more kinds than I could list, and squirrels and people's dogs and cats.... In my spiritual beliefs, we're all cells in one great organism, the way individual cells collectively make up a person. So all this life I'm visualizing and reaching out to mentally, since we're all part of one big protoplasmic flow, is all in a very real sense me.

By the time I take the visualization global, trying to connect with all the incredible life on the planet, I feel like I'm brimming with energy. If I'm outdoors, I try to feel the wind as my own breath, the ground beneath me as my own flesh; if I'm at the shore (a favorite place to do this meditation), I envision the surf as my own pulse, the tide a grander version of my own heart-driven tides within, flushing nutrients in and waste out.

When I finish and return to being just Immediate Me, it's a little disappointing. But the feeling of well-being and recharged energy remains.

Tags: