collapse

* Recent Posts

Author Topic: Lighting Advice for Nighttime Rituals  (Read 2647 times)

celestialwolf

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • http://celestialmountains.com
Lighting Advice for Nighttime Rituals
« on: November 07, 2011, 11:29:08 am »
For night rituals outside, lighting a candle or keeping it lit isn't always the easiest. Nor is creating a bonfire for those of us who live in the city or visit a park/beach that doesn't allow a fire. How do you handle this issue?

Right now, I've resorted to using a mini-maglite with the top off (looks like a candle that way). Anyone else have any practical solutions for lack of light at night?

Or am I the only one facing this issue?

Fier

• Sr. Master Member
  • Daughter of the Cosmos
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic Pantheist
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
Re: Lighting Advice for Nighttime Rituals
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2011, 12:19:37 pm »
Quote from: celestialwolf;29277
Anyone else have any practical solutions for lack of light at night?

You could try a lantern, either the old oil kind (can find them at antique stores) or the new propane or battery operated kind.

Jenett

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Seeking: First steps on a path
  • Religion: Initiatory religious witchcraft
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2011, 12:55:54 pm »
For night rituals outside, lighting a candle or keeping it lit isn't always the easiest. Nor is creating a bonfire for those of us who live in the city or visit a park/beach that doesn't allow a fire. How do you handle this issue?

Right now, I've resorted to using a mini-maglite with the top off (looks like a candle that way). Anyone else have any practical solutions for lack of light at night?

What do you need to do with it? My solutions for "need something to read by" are different than "ritual space for invited deity/elemental to reside" are different than "magical tool used for working."

(I will admit my usual default is "do the ritual inside, or adapt the ritual not to need that particular thing when it's not available.")
Seek Knowledge, Find Wisdom: Research help on esoteric and eclectic topics (consulting and other services)

Seeking: first steps on a Pagan path (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism)

celestialwolf

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2011, 01:17:42 pm »
Quote from: FierFlye
You could try a lantern, either the old oil kind (can find them at antique stores) or the new propane or battery operated kind.

Not a bad idea. A lantern didn't even cross my mind.

Quote from: Jenett;29285
What do you need to do with it? My solutions for "need something to read by" are different than "ritual space for invited deity/elemental to reside" are different than "magical tool used for working."

(I will admit my usual default is "do the ritual inside, or adapt the ritual not to need that particular thing when it's not available.")

For my use, it's simply something to read by while I do my rituals. I do not employ a candle, bonfire, or any other type of flame in the traditional ritual/magical sense.

Jenett

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Seeking: First steps on a path
  • Religion: Initiatory religious witchcraft
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2011, 01:48:57 pm »
Quote from: celestialwolf;29289

For my use, it's simply something to read by while I do my rituals. I do not employ a candle, bonfire, or any other type of flame in the traditional ritual/magical sense.

In that case, things I'd look at include:

- LED candle (they give decent light, won't blow out, look attractive.) Little mini booklights are more modern but do the same thing.

- a self-lit device (there are rituals in which I would not use my iPad or my iPhone to read from. There are rituals where I would.)

- just plain don't do stuff that requires being able to read. (Memorise what you need, have a plan for the rest and improvise as you feel called to do.)

- We used to tease my HPS (whose eyes were getting poor enough she couldn't read easily in dim light) about building her a priestess crown with a built in LED light instead of a central moon image (LED behind a bit of shaped glass, basically.) We never did, but the idea is not that hard to do, and has other applications (something on a wrist cuff, something clipped to your clothing, etc.)
Seek Knowledge, Find Wisdom: Research help on esoteric and eclectic topics (consulting and other services)

Seeking: first steps on a Pagan path (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism)

celestialwolf

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2011, 03:21:14 pm »
Quote from: Jenett;29293
In that case, things I'd look at include:

- LED candle (they give decent light, won't blow out, look attractive.) Little mini booklights are more modern but do the same thing.

- a self-lit device (there are rituals in which I would not use my iPad or my iPhone to read from. There are rituals where I would.)

- just plain don't do stuff that requires being able to read. (Memorise what you need, have a plan for the rest and improvise as you feel called to do.)

- We used to tease my HPS (whose eyes were getting poor enough she couldn't read easily in dim light) about building her a priestess crown with a built in LED light instead of a central moon image (LED behind a bit of shaped glass, basically.) We never did, but the idea is not that hard to do, and has other applications (something on a wrist cuff, something clipped to your clothing, etc.)

LOL! I love the HPS tease! Thanks for the advice.

Rowanfox

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2011, 05:37:50 pm »

Tealights inside glass jars work well like hurricane lanterns..... use BBQ lighters or long matches to light. If you are concerned about breakage, plastics jars work as well but you need to line the bottoms with gravel or sand and make sure the sides do not slope in at the top so much that the plastic melts.

Good luck

sephira

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2011, 05:48:59 pm »
...or am i facing this alone?

I just went to a belly dance show and they had those flameless tealights in paper bags. Surprisingly they gave off a good bit of light and really created some great ambiance. Maybe if you had a bunch of them...and I saw some of the flameless tealights for three for a dollar at the Dollar Tree. Hopefully you have one near you.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2011, 05:55:12 pm by sephira »
"If it ain\'t fun, it ain\'t worth doing!"

Miluna

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2011, 05:52:06 pm »

If it's just to light up the space I'm using or if I'm reading from from a book then I normally use a torch. If the moon is out or it's pretty light, then I don't bother.

If what I'm doing requires a real flame then, like Rowanfox, I pop a tea light in a jar or a container with high sides to stop it from blowing out.
(They never specify how big the flame is meant to be after all :P )
« Last Edit: November 07, 2011, 05:52:40 pm by Miluna »
My blog - An Open Flame

sephira

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2011, 06:08:05 pm »
Quote from: sephira;29309
I just went to a belly dance show and they had those flameless tealights in paper bags. Surprisingly they gave off a good bit of light and really created some great ambiance. Maybe if you had a bunch of them...and I saw some of the flameless tealights for three for a dollar at the Dollar Tree. Hopefully you have one near you.

I forgot. Hobby Lobby sells flameless candles of all sizes.

Walmart sells Coleman lamps

Not sure if this helps either.

Aster Breo

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2011, 06:52:47 pm »
Quote from: celestialwolf;29289

A battery powered book light might work.  You can clip it to something or stand it on its clip and direct the light wherever you need it.  And it's cheap.  ;)
"The status is not quo."  ~ Dr. Horrible

sephira

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2011, 07:25:23 pm »
Quote from: Aster Breo;29324
A battery powered book light might work.  You can clip it to something or stand it on its clip and direct the light wherever you need it.  And it's cheap.  ;)

Now that's a good idea! ;)

monsnoleedra

• Sr. Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2011, 07:38:45 pm »
..  Anyone else have any practical solutions for lack of light at night?

One thing that I found to work pretty good is the old style bathroom light covers.  They have the opening at the bottom to connect to the fixture but also have an open face where you could change out lightbulbs.  While clear or smoky clear seemed to be the most prominate color you can find them in other colors if you look a bit.

They can be used like storm lanterns in that you can set the lighted candle inside them turn the thing so the wind is not blowing upon the lighted candle.  Using different colored glasses you can also create varying degree's of color or intensity.  I've used them in fog, light to heavy rain and pretty windy conditions with excellent results.

The style of candle used really is dependent upon the persons selection though for myself I have used small votive candles and also the small scented candles that are about two inches tall and about an inch in width.  Larger ones can work but cause the potential of the glass shattering due to heat, heavy soot buildup upon the glass in my experience.

NOrmally my rituals / ceremonies go for about an hour to an hour and a half and the smaller candles have worked just fine and provided plenty of light.

celestialwolf

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2011, 07:55:35 pm »
Quote from: monsnoleedra;29338

Thanks for the suggestions everyone!

Tags: