Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Altair
[April 09, 2024, 09:29:08 am]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Jenett
[April 08, 2024, 09:09:39 pm]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Sefiru
[April 08, 2024, 06:09:38 pm]

Re: Supermarket Witches by SirPalomides
[April 08, 2024, 09:49:17 am]

Author Topic: Indoor Druidic Altars/Shrines?  (Read 4263 times)

A Disgruntled Scotsman

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
Indoor Druidic Altars/Shrines?
« on: December 29, 2012, 04:16:47 pm »
Have any Druids or Celtic polytheists here set up an altar or shrine to their deity(s) indoors?  I appreciate the Druids and Celtic peoples in general worshipped their deities outside (due to most of them being nature deities and all) but I've been hoping to have an alternate place to venerate the divine in case I fall ill or injury myself to such an extent that prevents me from leaving the flat.

The closest things I can find are 'Green Man' stuff - but all are either from America or ridiculously over-priced: £15 (not including UK delivery) for an altar cloth leaps out at me.

Always, the things I come across are Wicca-oriented.  I have no problem with Wicca, it has some similarities with Druidism and I think it is the latter's sister-path.  The problem this poses is that the stuff I come across just doesn't correspond with my interpretation of deity: I'm a polytheist and all the goddess related items I see are related to the Wiccan interpretation of the Triple Goddess - not to a specific Celtic/Brythonic deity like Brighid.

First of all I'd like to set up an altar/shrine to Cernunnos.

Does anyone know of anywhere that sells Druidic altar equipment?
/ | \\     Be The Awen!

Member of the British Druid Order.

Revenant

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Indoor Druidic Altars/Shrines?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2012, 05:28:29 pm »
Quote from: A Disgruntled Scotsman;87665

This may not be terribly helpful but when I had an interest in Druidry I found quite a few things for my altar on Ebay. The nice thing about it was, even if I couldn't find exactly what I was looking for, by looking at the various items for sale I was able to come up with ideas for my altar that I didn't previously have. Sorry I couldn't be of more help...good luck with your search! :)
"When I have a terrible need of - shall I say the word - religion, then I go out and paint the stars."  ~Vincent Van Gogh~

Sage

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://sageandstarshine.wordpress.com
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2012, 05:30:53 pm »

May I suggest looking at what Etsy has for sale under "Cernnunos"? There's a variety of objects and art pieces at a variety of prices, and some artists are quite willing to take commissions.
Maker, though the darkness comes upon me,
I shall embrace the light. I shall weather the storm.
I shall endure.
What you have created, no one can tear asunder.

-Canticle of Trials 1:10

Sage and Starshine (my spiritual blog): last updated 2/25.
Friday Otherfaith Blogging: last updated 2/27
Join the Emboatening Crew over on Kiva! Emboatening the boatless since Opet 2013.

Jack

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • Skyhold
  • Religion: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/he
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2012, 08:31:50 pm »

The ADF actually has a store, but I'm not sure if you'd be interested in what they consider appropriate. ;)

When I'm looking for altar pieces, especially statuary, I am more interested in whether a depiction feels right for the use I have in mind than if it's labelled correctly. I've seen statuary that's specifically designed to be Celtic and Norse goddesses, though (as well as most other pantheons) - it sounds like you're not interested in anything that has to ship from America, though, is that right?

Do you have a local pagan-type shop with a reasonable selection of statuary? IME local shops with some statues will also have catalogs and let you do special orders if something catches your eye.
Hail Mara, Lady of Good Things!
"The only way to cope with something deadly serious is to try to treat it a little lightly." -Madeleine L'Engle

Cabal

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Belgae Polytheism
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2012, 09:09:09 pm »
Have any Druids or Celtic polytheists here set up an altar or shrine to their deity(s) indoors?  I appreciate the Druids and Celtic peoples in general worshipped their deities outside (due to most of them being nature deities and all) but I've been hoping to have an alternate place to venerate the divine in case I fall ill or injury myself to such an extent that prevents me from leaving the flat.

The closest things I can find are 'Green Man' stuff - but all are either from America or ridiculously over-priced: £15 (not including UK delivery) for an altar cloth leaps out at me.

Always, the things I come across are Wicca-oriented.  I have no problem with Wicca, it has some similarities with Druidism and I think it is the latter's sister-path.  The problem this poses is that the stuff I come across just doesn't correspond with my interpretation of deity: I'm a polytheist and all the goddess related items I see are related to the Wiccan interpretation of the Triple Goddess - not to a specific Celtic/Brythonic deity like Brighid.

First of all I'd like to set up an altar/shrine to Cernunnos.

I had some of the same problems, and in the end I built my own alter out of wood. I am a bit of a craftsman so I don't know how much experience you have with woodworking or what. But if you can't find the right stuff, just build it yourself. I collected stones for my alter and made my alter cloth. I'm not saying you have to do it that way, just wanted to let you know you can always design and build things your self.
"In Hell, everybody loves popcorn."

A Disgruntled Scotsman

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2012, 01:51:34 pm »
Quote from: Sage;87694
May I suggest looking at what Etsy has for sale under "Cernnunos"? There's a variety of objects and art pieces at a variety of prices, and some artists are quite willing to take commissions.

Quote from: Jack;87748
The ADF actually has a store, but I'm not sure if you'd be interested in what they consider appropriate. ;)

When I'm looking for altar pieces, especially statuary, I am more interested in whether a depiction feels right for the use I have in mind than if it's labelled correctly. I've seen statuary that's specifically designed to be Celtic and Norse goddesses, though (as well as most other pantheons) - it sounds like you're not interested in anything that has to ship from America, though, is that right?

Do you have a local pagan-type shop with a reasonable selection of statuary? IME local shops with some statues will also have catalogs and let you do special orders if something catches your eye.

I had a look but found their range of stuff to be very restrictive.  I'd prefer stuff from Britain, simply for the much smaller amount of time it'd take things to arrive once I ordered them.  I'll look at American stuff if I don't see anything in Britain or Europe that catches my eye.

For statuary, I also think it has to look right.  In this case I'll actively avoid Cernunnos-based items which look like they're trying to compare him to Pan.

Quote from: Cryfder;87759
I had some of the same problems, and in the end I built my own alter out of wood. I am a bit of a craftsman so I don't know how much experience you have with woodworking or what. But if you can't find the right stuff, just build it yourself. I collected stones for my alter and made my alter cloth. I'm not saying you have to do it that way, just wanted to let you know you can always design and build things your self.

I'm not handy with my hands at all :( so I don't have the option of making things myself.  I do know someone in my local group who is good at crafting so I could pay him to do it.
/ | \\     Be The Awen!

Member of the British Druid Order.

Sophia C

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://leithincluan.wordpress.com/
  • Religion: Druid, Celtic & contemplative Christian, Gaelic-ish polytheist, on a mystic path
  • Preferred Pronouns: They/them
Indoor Druidic Altars/Shrines?
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2012, 03:10:51 pm »

Being disabled, I need indoor ritual space - I love getting out into the land, but it just can't happen every day. I just use an old chest of drawers for my altar table, with plain cloths as coverings. I've looked for natural items to represent each deity - e.g. I have a Brighid's cross and water from her well at Kildare, shells and sea salt in a blue handmade cup for Manannan, and stones from West Cork and pictures of Oilean Baoi for Cailleach Beara. I can't bring myself to use statues to represent any of them, though. It's too much personification for me. Any way that I can bring nature to my shrine room is preferable.
"We're all stories, in the end. Make it a good one, eh?"
- Doctor Who

Tags: