collapse

* Recent Posts

Author Topic: How to honor cadaver donor this Samhain  (Read 1307 times)

Broombaby

• View Profile
  • Religion: Wicca
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
How to honor cadaver donor this Samhain
« on: October 18, 2018, 11:31:35 pm »
Hi all,
 I'm new to these boards, but I'm interested in getting suggestions for a ritual I'd like to do for Samhain. (I'm a solitary Wiccan, practicing in New York)

So this may be random, but two weeks ago I had ankle surgery, and received a cadaver bone graft. I am extremely grateful, as it is likely that this addition will solve a problem I have been struggling with since I was a kid. Basically, since Samhain is coming, I figured it would be a perfect opportunity to honor the person who donated this bone. I don't know anything about the donor, but I have a strong sense of gratitude, and would love to honor them in a ritual. I just wanted to cast a net to see if anyone had any good ritual thoughts, suggestions, or ideas.  Just FYI...I'm non-weight bearing post-op, so not much can be done standing!
I'd be grateful for any feedback!

Hariti

• Sr. Master Member
  • Kyrie Eleison
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Extremely Eclectic
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/they
Re: How to honor cadaver donor this Samhain
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2018, 03:20:39 am »

Well, I'm not Wiccan, and I don't know any Wicca specific rituals, but chances are whoever donated the bone wasn't Wiccan either, so something more general should work fine for your purposes.

You could pray for the soul of the deceased; regardless of what they were like in life, I'm sure anyone would be thankful for your wish that their afterlife be pleasant. It's a common Catholic practice, but it's done in other religions as well, and is a general sign of respect. You could even burn a candle, or offer incense or other items to your deities on their behalf.
"The worshippers of the gods go to them; to the manes go the ancestor-worshippers; to the Deities who preside over the elements go their worshippers; My devotees come to Me." ... "Whichever devotee desires to adore whatever such Deity with faith, in all such votaries I make that particular faith unshakable. Endowed with that faith, a votary performs the worship of that particular deity and obtains the fruits thereof, these being granted by Me alone." - Sri Krishna

Jenett

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Seeking: First steps on a path
  • Religion: Initiatory religious witchcraft
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2018, 09:55:33 am »
So this may be random, but two weeks ago I had ankle surgery, and received a cadaver bone graft. I am extremely grateful, as it is likely that this addition will solve a problem I have been struggling with since I was a kid. Basically, since Samhain is coming, I figured it would be a perfect opportunity to honor the person who donated this bone. I don't know anything about the donor, but I have a strong sense of gratitude, and would love to honor them in a ritual. I just wanted to cast a net to see if anyone had any good ritual thoughts, suggestions, or ideas.  Just FYI...I'm non-weight bearing post-op, so not much can be done standing!

So, my first question is, is this going to be a part of other things you're doing, or a thing on its own? Because if you're already doing other things for Samhain (remembering your personal beloved dead, for example), I'd just add the donor in as part of that. You don't need a name, you have a very direct way to identify them, after all!

If you're not going to be doing anything else for ritual, then I'd think you can make this very simple. Cast a circle if you can modify your preference for your current physical state (or do something else that works for you there: without knowing your usual practice, it's hard to suggest adaptations but if you're okay sharing more, I'm sure I and other people can suggest some ideas.)

Light a candle. Say whatever it is you feel called to say. (I might include thanks, talk about what your hopes are for what it will change in your life. Send them positive energy for their own crossing, in whatever way is right for them.

(My father was an organ donor, for what it's worth, though not bone, and I know I found it a comfort then - it's been more than 20 years - to think other people were going to have a better life because of the donation.)
Seek Knowledge, Find Wisdom: Research help on esoteric and eclectic topics (consulting and other services)

Seeking: first steps on a Pagan path (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism)

Broombaby

• View Profile
  • Religion: Wicca
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2018, 06:48:25 pm »
Wow. Thank you so much for your responses! This is largely what I was thinking. Traditionally, I would honor ancestors, and I think I want to include the donor in my traditional practices. I do want to do something a little different for the donor specifically within my normal practice.

I am grateful for your responses.
Jenett, I am sure that the recipients of your father's generosity are equally grateful. I'm glad it still brings you comfort.
And EnderDragonFire, I like the idea of making a simple offering on their behalf. Feels somehow cyclical, and I like that.
I really do appreciate both of these responses!

Demophon

• Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2018, 04:05:48 pm »
Hi all,
 I'm new to these boards, but I'm interested in getting suggestions for a ritual I'd like to do for Samhain. (I'm a solitary Wiccan, practicing in New York)

I would agree with the suggestion of lighting a candle in honour of the person on your altar/shrine area, with a prayer for the repose of person's spirit/soul//whatever your conception of a person's spiritual essence is.

Tags: samhain