collapse

Important Announcement

Changing the Guard at The Cauldron

Sunflower is the new Host of The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum
Please read this thread for more information.

* "Unable to verify referring url. Please go back and try again" Problem Logging In?

If you get an "Unable to verify referring url. Please go back and try again" error when you try to log in, you need to be sure you are accessing the board with a url that starts with "https://ecauldron.com".  If it starts with https://www.ecauldron.com" (or "http://www.ecauldron.com") you will get this error because "www.ecauldron.com" is not technically the same website as "ecauldron.com". Moving to the more secure "https" means it is more picky about such things.

Author Topic: Help with ritual for mourning the loss of land  (Read 928 times)

Kaida Dragonborn

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Join Date: Jul 2014
  • Posts: 2
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Help with ritual for mourning the loss of land
« on: July 21, 2014, 02:22:38 pm »
Hello! I'm not sure where to start here so bare with me. My family owns (make that owned..) a fairly large plot of land in northern Minnesota. These woods have been my safe haven for my entire life. I helped build the house up there and the land has been ours since it was given to my great grandfather by on of his medical patients. Recently however, we were forced to sell it the the gas company, who would have taken it anyway if we did not sell. This week I will be taking what is most likely my last trip up there. It still doesn't feel real to me that it will be gone, we all thought it would be there forever. This is a mourning process we never thought we'd have to go through. I have just a few short days to say goodbye to a land I know so well, a land that knows me too. I'd like to create a ritual for the woods, both of mourning and of blessing, but I've been a bit to distraught to fit the pieces together. I'd really appreciate some suggestions, as well as all the love and support you can send our way. My particular path is Irish Pagan, Druidcraft to be specific, but I would appreciate suggestions from any and all paths. Thanks to everyone for your time.
-Kai

Sage

  • Adept Member
  • ********
  • Join Date: Jul 2011
  • Posts: 2186
  • Total likes: 4
    • View Profile
    • http://sageandstarshine.wordpress.com
Re: Help with ritual for mourning the loss of land
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2014, 03:03:48 pm »
Quote from: Kaida Dragonborn;153533
Hello! I'm not sure where to start here so bare with me. My family owns (make that owned..) a fairly large plot of land in northern Minnesota. These woods have been my safe haven for my entire life. I helped build the house up there and the land has been ours since it was given to my great grandfather by on of his medical patients. Recently however, we were forced to sell it the the gas company, who would have taken it anyway if we did not sell. This week I will be taking what is most likely my last trip up there. It still doesn't feel real to me that it will be gone, we all thought it would be there forever. This is a mourning process we never thought we'd have to go through. I have just a few short days to say goodbye to a land I know so well, a land that knows me too. I'd like to create a ritual for the woods, both of mourning and of blessing, but I've been a bit to distraught to fit the pieces together. I'd really appreciate some suggestions, as well as all the love and support you can send our way. My particular path is Irish Pagan, Druidcraft to be specific, but I would appreciate suggestions from any and all paths. Thanks to everyone for your time.
-Kai

 
Hi Kai! First, I'm really sorry you'll be losing this piece of land. It sounds like a really important part of who you are. I'm not familiar with Druidcraft itself but I do have some background in ADF-style Druidry and currently work closely with an Irish deity (Brighid). Here are some ideas off the top of my head:

  • Find a space (or spaces) on your land that feel particularly significant to you. These could be good spots to conduct the ritual or to visit throughout your last trip up there as a sort of mini-pilgrimage across your land.
  • Leave offerings for the land spirits/faeries/wights of your property. Not sure if you've cultivated a relationship with them before but a goodbye offering could be nice whatever that relationship looked like.
  • Leave offerings or give prayers to your ancestors. Even if none of them were buried on your land, I believe our ancestors have an understanding of what it means to leave our homes (and hearts) behind.
  • Bury something biodegradeable as a symbol of leaving part of yourself behind. It could be your favorite flowers or food. And/or, speaking of flowers, perhaps toss some seeds out or plant a perenial on your land as a way of keeping a connection to the land even though you're gone.
  • Find something (perhaps a cutting of a plant, or leaves/flowers to dry or a rock, or a small vial of water) to take with you and keep in a special place, perhaps on an altar/shrine in your home.


Hope this was somewhat inspirational. :)
Maker, though the darkness comes upon me,
I shall embrace the light. I shall weather the storm.
I shall endure.
What you have created, no one can tear asunder.

-Canticle of Trials 1:10

Sage and Starshine (my spiritual blog): last updated 2/25.
Friday Otherfaith Blogging: last updated 2/27
Join the Emboatening Crew over on Kiva! Emboatening the boatless since Opet 2013.

Kaida Dragonborn

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Join Date: Jul 2014
  • Posts: 2
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Help with ritual for mourning the loss of land
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2014, 01:22:41 pm »
Quote from: Sage;153537
Hi Kai! First, I'm really sorry you'll be losing this piece of land. It sounds like a really important part of who you are. I'm not familiar with Druidcraft itself but I do have some background in ADF-style Druidry and currently work closely with an Irish deity (Brighid). Here are some ideas off the top of my head:

  • Find a space (or spaces) on your land that feel particularly significant to you. These could be good spots to conduct the ritual or to visit throughout your last trip up there as a sort of mini-pilgrimage across your land.
  • Leave offerings for the land spirits/faeries/wights of your property. Not sure if you've cultivated a relationship with them before but a goodbye offering could be nice whatever that relationship looked like.
  • Leave offerings or give prayers to your ancestors. Even if none of them were buried on your land, I believe our ancestors have an understanding of what it means to leave our homes (and hearts) behind.
  • Bury something biodegradeable as a symbol of leaving part of yourself behind. It could be your favorite flowers or food. And/or, speaking of flowers, perhaps toss some seeds out or plant a perenial on your land as a way of keeping a connection to the land even though you're gone.
  • Find something (perhaps a cutting of a plant, or leaves/flowers to dry or a rock, or a small vial of water) to take with you and keep in a special place, perhaps on an altar/shrine in your home.


Hope this was somewhat inspirational. :)

I love the idea of scattering perennials! I was hoping to try to find a young tree up there to transplant down here and that seems like the perfect exchange. Thank you so much for your suggestions.

Sage

  • Adept Member
  • ********
  • Join Date: Jul 2011
  • Posts: 2186
  • Total likes: 4
    • View Profile
    • http://sageandstarshine.wordpress.com
Re: Help with ritual for mourning the loss of land
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2014, 01:24:55 pm »
Quote from: Kaida Dragonborn;153642
I love the idea of scattering perennials! I was hoping to try to find a young tree up there to transplant down here and that seems like the perfect exchange. Thank you so much for your suggestions.

 
Depending on how much time you have, you might even be able to stop near a local garden center and ask about plants that thrive in (literally) your neck of the woods. Or you might know that already! Whichever, I hope things go well. :)
Maker, though the darkness comes upon me,
I shall embrace the light. I shall weather the storm.
I shall endure.
What you have created, no one can tear asunder.

-Canticle of Trials 1:10

Sage and Starshine (my spiritual blog): last updated 2/25.
Friday Otherfaith Blogging: last updated 2/27
Join the Emboatening Crew over on Kiva! Emboatening the boatless since Opet 2013.

Tags:
 

Related Topics

  Subject / Started by Replies Last post
20 Replies
2038 Views
Last post March 05, 2013, 05:08:54 am
by Indra
0 Replies
1861 Views
Last post October 14, 2013, 08:31:05 pm
by mlr52
7 Replies
1028 Views
Last post October 20, 2014, 06:58:17 am
by Hematite
5 Replies
1590 Views
Last post July 10, 2016, 01:25:55 pm
by xGypsy13x
2 Replies
535 Views
Last post October 05, 2017, 10:16:14 am
by AWanderingSoul

* Who's Online

  • Dot Guests: 26
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Please Donate!

The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.

* In Memoriam

Chavi (2006)
Elspeth (2010)
Marilyn (2013)

* Cauldron Staff

Host:
Sunflower

Message Board Staff
Board Coordinator:
Darkhawk

Assistant Board Coordinator:
Aster Breo

Senior Staff:
Aisling, Jenett, Sefiru

Staff:
Allaya, Chatelaine, EclecticWheel, HarpingHawke, Kylara, PerditaPickle, rocquelaire

Discord Chat Staff
Chat Coordinator:
Morag

Cauldron Council:
Bob, Catja, Emma-Eldritch, Fausta, Jubes, Kelly, LyricFox, Phouka, Sperran, Star, Steve, Tana

Site Administrator:
Randall