Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Favourite ritual tools?  (Read 3137 times)

Oíche

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Irish Polytheism/Druidry/Initiatory Witchcraft
Re: Favourite ritual tools?
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2013, 05:07:42 pm »
Quote from: Aranel;98757
I have it too. I hardly use it though because the cards are so big and there's so many of them. Even though the Druid Animal Oracle (and for that matter the Druid Plant Oracle) cards are the same size as the DruidCraft Tarot, because there's less of them I can manage them despite my dyspraxia :p

Aye, the cards are fairly big! I have small hands so I find them a bit awkward too XD
'You're my friend, and I love you- but you really look like a witch!!'

Indra

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • http://apagansoul.wix.com/apagansoul
Favourite ritual tools?
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2013, 05:29:20 pm »
Quote from: Cág;98756
I have the DruidCraft Tarot, the artwork is gorgeous! :)

I have that set too, they're my every day ones and I use the Shadowscapes ones when I need extra accuracy or on Samhain.

Lykeia

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2013, 04:38:01 pm »
Quote from: Cág;98683
I saw a thread in another section about what books you have on your shelf and it got me thinking!
Do you have any ritual or spiritual tools or objects that you are particularly fond of using? If you could pick a favourite or pick one or a few objects that you use frequently and are important to you, what would they be?
I'm quite curious as we are all a mix of different branches :)

I don't really have much in the way of tools. I mean I have various containers for offerings and libations and bits. I have my representations of my gods but I don't consider that a tool. I think the closest things I can say would be my instruments at my Apollon shrines. At the main shrine at my door I have a double sided drum with Apollon painted on one side and Artemis on the other, I also have finger cymbals I use at the major festivals...especially his birthday when cymabls were used during the Delia (Attic Thargelia) during the procession in celebration of his birth at Delos. For daily rituals I have a striking bowl which I strike and let sing at the beginning of my prayers. At my smaller bedroom shrine I have a wooden flute I play for him and a Tibetan singing bowl for my evening meditation.
I also have a lyre that I play for him when the mood strikes, especially for festivals of his.

Aranel

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2013, 04:48:20 pm »
Quote from: Aranel;98687
My wand! I hardly ever use it but I love it to pieces. It's a piece of wood I found on the beach and sanded down.

It broke! :cry:

My altar is on top of my bookcase and last night I was re-arranging it all. My wand fell off down the back of it. Instead of doing the sensible thing of pulling my bookcase out and getting the wand that way, I opted for the lazy way as my bookcase is bloody heavy.
The tip of the wand was poking out the side so I grabbed it and tried to pull it out. Problem is, the radiator is about 6 inches away from that bookcase so I had to angle how I pulled it and it snapped! Just completely splintered.

I can't fix it, it's ruined. :( Was in tears last night. Still feel like crying now actually.

Rhyshadow

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2013, 04:50:22 pm »
I saw a thread in another section about what books you have on your shelf and it got me thinking!
Do you have any ritual or spiritual tools or objects that you are particularly fond of using? If you could pick a favourite or pick one or a few objects that you use frequently and are important to you, what would they be?

My imagination

Seriously, while I did learn by using tools, now days it's all visualization and internalization. My ability to be able to use nothing more than the Gods granted me at birth means that my tools are now nothing more than window dressing.

I do keep my Athame/Boline on my altar, but being that it's a Scottish Dirk, it kind of fits the Gaelic theme I have running. Yes, I used it for both even from the beginning, never saw the need to have two separate items, I mean, it's all magical work so what's the difference ::shrugs::

Indra

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
Favourite ritual tools?
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2013, 05:04:13 pm »
Quote from: Aranel;99307

My altar is on top of my bookcase and last night I was re-arranging it all. My wand fell off down the back of it. Instead of doing the sensible thing of pulling my bookcase out and getting the wand that way, I opted for the lazy way as my bookcase is bloody heavy.
The tip of the wand was poking out the side so I grabbed it and tried to pull it out. Problem is, the radiator is about 6 inches away from that bookcase so I had to angle how I pulled it and it snapped! Just completely splintered.

I can't fix it, it's ruined. :( Was in tears last night. Still feel like crying now actually.

I'm so sorry to hear about your wand! I hope another one finds it's way to you very soon.... It's like losing a limb isn't it?

Indra

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
Favourite ritual tools?
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2013, 05:07:37 pm »
Quote from: Rhyshadow;99308
My imagination

Seriously, while I did learn by using tools, now days it's all visualization and internalization. My ability to be able to use nothing more than the Gods granted me at birth means that my tools are now nothing more than window dressing.

I do keep my Athame/Boline on my altar, but being that it's a Scottish Dirk, it kind of fits the Gaelic theme I have running. Yes, I used it for both even from the beginning, never saw the need to have two separate items, I mean, it's all magical work so what's the difference ::shrugs::

That's pretty much how it is for me too now. I used to have all the trappings, now it's all in my head. I suppose I should have added that I use my astral sanctuary for any ritual work I need to do, I have an altar set up there.

Oíche

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2013, 06:36:01 pm »
Quote from: Lykeia;99302
I don't really have much in the way of tools. I mean I have various containers for offerings and libations and bits. I have my representations of my gods but I don't consider that a tool. I think the closest things I can say would be my instruments at my Apollon shrines. At the main shrine at my door I have a double sided drum with Apollon painted on one side and Artemis on the other, I also have finger cymbals I use at the major festivals...especially his birthday when cymabls were used during the Delia (Attic Thargelia) during the procession in celebration of his birth at Delos. For daily rituals I have a striking bowl which I strike and let sing at the beginning of my prayers. At my smaller bedroom shrine I have a wooden flute I play for him and a Tibetan singing bowl for my evening meditation.
I also have a lyre that I play for him when the mood strikes, especially for festivals of his.

I love having the sound of my own singing bowl during meditations and offerings. I think sound and music really help :) Your's sound lovely! :D I do the same at the start of my daily prayers too :)

Quote from: Rhyshadow;99308
My imagination

I was lucky in way to start out that way. When I was a teenager I couldn't have tools myself but I think learning to use your mind is the most important! My tools are an extension of that nowadays :)

Quote from: Aranel;99307

Oh no! :( *sends hugs*
« Last Edit: March 02, 2013, 06:41:47 pm by Oíche »

Agonistes

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2013, 08:59:39 pm »

I enjoy my stang, but my staff is always my best friend.

Oíche

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2013, 02:30:36 pm »
Quote from: Agonistes;99349
I enjoy my stang, but my staff is always my best friend.

I'll be hopefully getting a staff once I can store it XD :)

Laveth

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2013, 03:02:59 pm »

Interesting thread.

I don't really use "tools" in ritual. I divine at times via oracle cards, tarot, and runes, and that could possibly be interpreted as being a ritual practice.

But the only things that are really ever-present on my altar for direct work are my incense burners, incense (naturally), candles, a couple stones, a couple seashells, and some shark teeth (including an intact megalodon tooth). None of which are required for anything I do, but I love the ambiance.

Anyway, I rotate between different objects based on my needs/moods/whatever, but I could live without all really.

Olie

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2013, 05:04:12 pm »

ah this is fun! i like lots of my tools. my favorites are the stuffs i use to cast my circle! its a clear crystal ball, a knife (well its really a letter opener but....), a fancy key, and a little metal circle. i also like it whenever i get to burn somethin but thats not really a tool >,.>

Oíche

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2013, 07:55:23 pm »
Quote from: Olie;102857
ah this is fun! i like lots of my tools. my favorites are the stuffs i use to cast my circle! its a clear crystal ball, a knife (well its really a letter opener but....), a fancy key, and a little metal circle. i also like it whenever i get to burn somethin but thats not really a tool >,.>

Several of those sound very interesting. :)
Do you use the metal circle to mark out your circle or for something else if you don't mind me asking? :)

Olie

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2013, 08:40:13 pm »
Quote from: Cág;102882
Several of those sound very interesting. :)
Do you use the metal circle to mark out your circle or for something else if you don't mind me asking? :)

aw thanksh! C: but nope i use them as symbols for polarities instead of elements or whatever for circle casting. the crystal ball is neutral, the knife is positive, the key is dual, and the circle is negative :3

Oíche

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2013, 09:13:21 pm »
Quote from: Olie;102895
aw thanksh! C: but nope i use them as symbols for polarities instead of elements or whatever for circle casting. the crystal ball is neutral, the knife is positive, the key is dual, and the circle is negative :3

I've never heard of that idea before! Thank you for sharing it :)

Tags: