collapse

* Recent Posts

Author Topic: Earth Based Religion... but bugs!  (Read 3737 times)

Melamphoros

• Staff
    • View Profile
Re: Earth Based Religion... but bugs!
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2012, 05:33:58 pm »
Quote from: monsnoleedra;64261

The one thing so many forget is that once you enter nature your either a preditor or prey though many will hold both at the same time.  Humans forget they are not the top of the food chain once they exit their home and cross into the boundry of civilized and uncivilized.  In fact were just another animal that can be feed upon.

This.

Personally, I get the impression from some (but, and I stress, NOT ALL) Earth Centered Pagans is they think nature is peaceful and harmonious when it is just as (if not more) brutal as the civilized, human world.  When you go into the wilderness it is killed or be killed, no matter where on the food chain you are.

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog

Darkhawk

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Suns in her Branches
  • Religion: An American Werewolf in the Akhet; Kemetic; Feri; Imaginary Baltic Heathen; Discordian; UU; CoX; Etc
  • Preferred Pronouns: any of he, they, she
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2012, 10:52:48 pm »
Quote from: Phaedric;64257
I spend a lot of time in our woods during the summer, and this is a banner year for ticks. I dislike putting insect repellants with DEET in them on my skin, so I wear long sleeves and long pants and put a little spray on the cuffs. There are sprays with no DEET (I think one has eucalyptus) but they don't work as well. Note also that some ticks are fond of climbing up shrubs and jumping on you as you brush by them. So far I've only had one tick on me this year.

This cedar-based stuff is actually quite effective:  http://www.cedarcidestore.com/cedarproducts.html  (Warning: the website is GODAWFUL.)

I'm Gourmet Mosquito Food and the Celt is a tick magnet, but we've both been pretty much unbugged outside since we started using it.  (He couldn't go out for more than ten minutes without getting at least one tick before - now he's been doing more yard work and the bugs have been leaving him alone 100%.)

A note: cedar oil can cause problems for cats, though how much so depends on the species and how it's being used.  This stuff is claimed to be cat-safe, but I wouldn't apply it directly to any felines regardless.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2012, 10:53:14 pm by Darkhawk »
as the water grinds the stone
we rise and fall
as our ashes turn to dust
we shine like stars    - Covenant, "Bullet"

Sharysa

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2012, 04:08:05 pm »
Quote from: Ask-Embla;62994
The path I'm currently going down (CR... probably... maybe) is majorlly earth based, which is completely lovely, and the main reason it (and paganism in general) called to me in the first place. Because I've just recently moved into a little house in a nice lovely field with a good bit of trees and a seepy spring, I've been totally happy and have begun trying to get to know this land and the rhythms of its nature. The only problem? TICKS. I'm not sure what these guys are like outside of the south-eastern US, but the way I would put it is HELL.

There are a lot of natural tick repellants like this one. Alternately, you might just have to cover up with light sweaters/pants whenever you go outside.

Anyway, the point is that in a perfect world I'd be meditating under a tree right now, not moping indoors on my laptop, but this current plague of horrible little monsters is deterring me. It's a small stupid thing, but for those of you also following earth-based religions, how do you deal with natures abominable horrors little inconveniences?

I usually just deal with them. Here in California it's spiders, roaches, and various stinging insects.

The mentality of the Celts was that shielding yourself from the bad side of nature means you won't be able to appreciate the pretty rainbows. The myths get graphic at points to emphasize that when the human order is out of balance, the natural order will reflect that.

Festering wounds, animal mutilation, mutilation-by-animals, various natural disasters--those are all what happens when natural processes are messed up.

But ticks, spiders, and whatever else? Well, you just have to get used to it.
On hiatus, but might pop in now and then. Just making it official.

My blog. 40% normal, 60% spiritual, 500% details.

sunflower47

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2012, 09:06:25 pm »
Quote from: Ask-Embla;62994

Sorry for the drama, but I suppose everyone has their totally rational irrational fears? Anyway, the point is that in a perfect world I'd be meditating under a tree right now, not moping indoors on my laptop, but this current plague of horrible little monsters is deterring me. It's a small stupid thing, but for those of you also following earth-based religions, how do you deal with natures abominable horrors little inconveniences?

Friend! You are not alone! I hate bugs. I mean, I really, really dislike them. I understand that they are an important part of the ecosystem, and I have no problem with their existence, but only as long as they stay out of my personal space. Then I have a problem.
It's kind of funny because although I'm afraid of bugs I can never bring myself to kill them. I always catch them and take them out of my space (i.e outside).
I also have problems being really shy in my religion. I always want to approach different deities but I am soooo socially awkward that I have a hard time.
Your fears are perfectly normal. My advice for avoiding ticks? Wear long pants, you might try seeking out a hiking shop, they have long pants that aren't thermal, heavy socks and sneakers. Pull your hair back, in like a tight bun, because they love to hide on scalps, and you could probably do without long sleeves but if you are really paranoid do that too. Like I said, try to finding a hiking/camping store, or forum online and ask people how they avoid the bugs. Because outdoorsy people have methods of getting around it!

sunflower47

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2012, 09:11:54 pm »
Quote from: Aster Breo;63012

But I can offer a helpful hint about removing ticks.  Instead of the fire or alcohol method, just cover it with liquid soap, wait a minute or two, and remove with tweezers.  I think the liquid soap either suffocates or irritates the tick, and causes it to pull its head out.  

~ Aster

One of my friends suggested I use duct tape to take off ticks. I'm so bothered by most bugs that touching them is a problem for me, but with tape you just stick em' and fold up the tape.

Jujulinda

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2013, 06:53:08 pm »
Quote from: sunflower47;71394
One of my friends suggested I use duct tape to take off ticks. I'm so bothered by most bugs that touching them is a problem for me, but with tape you just stick em' and fold up the tape.

I love the earth but it doesn't love me. Well, the bugs don't. I am highly allergic to ticks, chiggers(these get bigger then a half dollar, I'm so allergic), fleas and the like. Oddly enough if a spider bites me, I'm fine.

This is a good recipe that seems to work for my pets

8 oz apple cider vinegar
4 oz warm water
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda

Mix dry ingredients first then slowly add to wet as the vinegar and baking soda will react slightly. Be careful not to get in pets eyes.

The ACV smells awful to fleas and ticks and repels them. I don't know how often you have to do that. My cats are indoor/outdoor but they're lazy so, it's 99% indoor. Lol. I only have to do it every so often. Putting essential oil of lemon in a spritz bottle with water and spraying yourself can really help repel them. I have heard that from a lot of hunters. You can spray it on our skin too but be careful as it is essential oil and can cause irritation.

Tags: