collapse
2017 Donation Drive -- Please Help Keep TC Online

It's time for our annual Server Donation Drive! We need to raise just over $850 to keep The Cauldron's server online for another year. Please help! Either hit that Paypal button to the right and make a one-time donation in any amount or set up a monthly Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor subscription. You can find more info in this message!

Donations as of 13 November: Only $124 more (after Paypal fees) needed to reach our goal! Please donate if you can.

* "Unable to verify referring url. Please go back and try again" Problem Logging In?

If you get an "Unable to verify referring url. Please go back and try again" error when you try to log in, you need to be sure you are accessing the board with a url that starts with "https://ecauldron.com".  If it starts with https://www.ecauldron.com" (or "http://www.ecauldron.com") you will get this error because "www.ecauldron.com" is not technically the same website as "ecauldron.com". Moving to the more secure "https" means it is more picky about such things.

Author Topic: Drums for ritual or meditation  (Read 662 times)

Sefiru

• Staff
  • Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
    • View Profile
Drums for ritual or meditation
« on: June 03, 2017, 04:26:01 pm »
(Restarting this thread since it got mislaid during the upgrade)

What are people's experiences with using drums in your practice?  Drums come up in many traditions around the world, so I imagine there are many ways to use them. I'd like to hear about some!

This isn't entirely idle curiosity; I recently bought a small pellet drum (the kind with two clappers on strings that you twirl around) with the thought that I could use it for something, but I have no idea what.

Dynes Hysbys

• Journeyman
    Attack Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Cunning Craft
Re: Drums for ritual or meditation
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2017, 05:32:14 pm »

What are people's experiences with using drums in your practice?  Drums come up in many traditions around the world, so I imagine there are many ways to use them. I'd like to hear about some!

This isn't entirely idle curiosity; I recently bought a small pellet drum (the kind with two clappers on strings that you twirl around) with the thought that I could use it for something, but I have no idea what.

Never had much luck with drumming myself - I have to concentrate so hard on the drumming that I can't do anything else!

I do sometimes use a drum sound track for journeying and I've been in ritual when it's being someone else's responsibility to keep the rhythm  going.

Kylara

• Sr. Master Member
    Attack Member
    • View Profile
    • https://www.patreon.com/kyndryana
  • Religion: Norse Fusion Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2017, 01:13:01 pm »

I have a beautiful Bodhran drum that was gifted to me, with a beater, and I enjoy playing it, but I do find that I have to think about the drum to use it, at least to start.  It's easier with the beater, but any stumbles in rhythm throw me off. 

Odd note:  I often have my nails painted, so am wary of doing a lot of the hand work with my drum because I have left marks on walls before from the (well dried) polish, and I don't want to mark up my drum!

My chant group has several people who drum, so we often have a drum going while we chant.  Most times it's great, but I have found some times, when the person drumming is very loud or dominant, it makes the chanting harder.  The drum can definitely overpower everything else.  When the drum is loud like that, I find it harder to chant, unless I am very familiar with the chant.
Check out my Patreon for more writing and other goodies!

Sefiru

• Staff
    Attack Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2017, 06:15:55 pm »
I have a beautiful Bodhran drum that was gifted to me, with a beater, and I enjoy playing it, but I do find that I have to think about the drum to use it, at least to start.  It's easier with the beater, but any stumbles in rhythm throw me off. 

It sounds like drums are a tricky business!

I've also heard of drums being used for purification, has anyone tried that?

Dynes Hysbys

• Journeyman
    Attack Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Cunning Craft
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2017, 04:12:08 am »
It sounds like drums are a tricky business!

I've also heard of drums being used for purification, has anyone tried that?

I do use mine to "clear out" that feeling of stagnation you sometimes get in rooms, especially in corners. That I can manage as it involves just making a noise!

MamaThistle

• Journeyman
    Attack Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic witch
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2017, 11:45:05 am »

I've never been into the drumming thing, although I've seen some beautiful drums and I see the appeal, just not my thing.

After dating a drummer, although completely different drumming, the word drum just makes me want to puke. Bad memories.  :P
"Cause her hair was black her eyes were blue,

So I took her hand and I gave her a twirl,

And I lost my heart to a Galway girl."

ehbowen

• Sr. Master Member
    Attack Member
  • A Ways Around the Bend...
    • View Profile
    • Streamliner Schedules
  • Religion: Southern Baptist
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2017, 12:06:19 pm »

After dating a drummer, although completely different drumming, the word drum just makes me want to puke. Bad memories. 

My brother-in-law the guitar player told me about the time the bass player locked the keys in the car. Took them two hours to get the drummer out....

Sent from my STV100-1 using Tapatalk

--------Eric H. Bowen
Where's the KABOOM? There was supposed to have been an Earth-shattering KABOOM!

MamaThistle

• Journeyman
    Attack Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic witch
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2017, 12:08:41 pm »

My brother-in-law the guitar player told me about the time the bass player locked the keys in the car. Took them two hours to get the drummer out....

Sent from my STV100-1 using Tapatalk

Hahah sounds about right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Cause her hair was black her eyes were blue,

So I took her hand and I gave her a twirl,

And I lost my heart to a Galway girl."

Jainarayan

• Master Member
    Attack Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hinduism
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2017, 02:14:44 pm »

I've not heard of drums being used in home worship by Hindus. Bells and the shankha (a conch shell blown at certain times) are used. However, in temple pujas (worship rituals) and festivals, drums are often used. When the curtains of a deity's sanctum are opened for darshan (viewing of the deity and blessing from), a drum and bell (electronic in this day and age) are sounded. It is an ancient custom of heralding the arrival of royalty.
śivāya vishnu rūpaya śivaḥ rūpaya vishnave
śivasya hridayam viṣṇur viṣṇoscha hridayam śivaḥ
Vishnu's appearance is Shiva; Shiva's appearance is Vishnu
Vishnu is the heart of Shiva; Shiva is the heart of Vishnu - Skandopanishad

Sefiru

• Staff
    Attack Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2017, 07:02:30 pm »
It is an ancient custom of heralding the arrival of royalty.

That's something I didn't know, but it's very cool. (In European tradition, royalty gets trumpets; whereas most new-agey drum lore references Native American practices, who don't have royalty per se.) This might be the bit of symbolism I was looking for.

Tags: