collapse
2017 Donation Drive -- Please Help Keep TC Online

It's time for our annual Server Donation Drive! We need to raise just over $850 to keep The Cauldron's server online for another year. Please help! Either hit that Paypal button to the right and make a one-time donation in any amount or set up a monthly Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor subscription. You can find more info in this message!

Donations as of 16 September: Only $296 more (after Paypal fees) needed to reach our goal! Please donate if you can.


* "Unable to verify referring url. Please go back and try again" Problem Logging In?

If you get an "Unable to verify referring url. Please go back and try again" error when you try to log in, you need to be sure you are accessing the board with a url that starts with "https://ecauldron.com".  If it starts with https://www.ecauldron.com" (or "http://www.ecauldron.com") you will get this error because "www.ecauldron.com" is not technically the same website as "ecauldron.com". Moving to the more secure "https" means it is more picky about such things.

Author Topic: Broken Statues  (Read 6869 times)

Nyktelios

  • Sr. Master Member
  • *******
  • Join Date: Jul 2011
  • Posts: 562
  • Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Broken Statues
« on: July 30, 2011, 10:34:38 am »
After moving a few years ago, some of the statues I use as deity representations were broken in transport. Only one of them was badly damaged, which I fixed with Krazy Glue, and it looks fine now, but I wonder if it's still fit for worship.

I've heard that Hindus believe that if their idols are damaged, evil spirits can enter them and are no longer able to be venerated as the deity they represent, although some can be repaired and purified, but not always. I'm not really that superstitious, I see statues as being just a visual focal point for ritual, but I'd also like to err on the side of caution.

Has anyone had experiences like this when an idol they use breaks? I'm wondering if I should just get a new statue, or if the one I have is still acceptable.

SatSekhem

  • Sr. Master Member
  • *******
  • Join Date: Jul 2011
  • Posts: 995
  • Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Total likes: 1
    • View Profile
    • http://satsekhem.wordpress.com/
Re: Broken Statues
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2011, 02:32:58 pm »
Quote from: Carnelian;9472
Has anyone had experiences like this when an idol they use breaks? I'm wondering if I should just get a new statue, or if the one I have is still acceptable.

 
My Hwt-Hrw statue was broken months ago and it was not fixable. So, I bought myself a new one and have the broken statue sitting around because I can't quite figure out what to do with it. Personally, I didn't feel that my broken statue was acceptable for use anymore. I wouldn't go so far as to say that I thought a malevolent spirit would take over, but I just knew that it would not be a good thing to retain the broken statue when I could easily afford a new one.
Religious Blog
Regular Blog

In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move. - Douglas Adams

Allati

Re: Broken Statues
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2011, 03:13:13 pm »
Quote from: Carnelian;9472
Has anyone had experiences like this when an idol they use breaks? I'm wondering if I should just get a new statue, or if the one I have is still acceptable.

 
It's not quite the same, but when I finally, finally ordered the Hathor statue I wanted, it arrived with both horns broken off. My response was to superglue them back on, and epoxy-sand-paint the gaps (miniature painting supplies suddenly helpful). I actually feel really attached to it after that, like it's really mine-and-hers, more than any of the full intact statues I have sitting around.

It may be a different situation when it's already been an object of veneration (or even been inhabited) at the time that it's broken.

Devo

  • Master Member
  • ******
  • Join Date: Jul 2011
  • Posts: 346
  • Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
    • http://seshemherkekew.livejournal.com
Re: Broken Statues
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2011, 11:55:52 pm »
Quote from: Carnelian;9472


Has anyone had experiences like this when an idol they use breaks? I'm wondering if I should just get a new statue, or if the one I have is still acceptable.

 
I have had every.single.Aset.statue.break. Every single one. And I have 2 or 3 of them. If the break is minor, I'll just glue it up, and be good to go (the sun disc, a hand, a uraeus, etc). But if a deity breaks big time- I will decomission it, and bury it. It really is a case by case basis for me. If a statue was Open, I wouldn't tolerate any breaks in it- but that is a special case in and of itself.

-Devo
dA | FB | LJ | WP

Nyktelios

  • Sr. Master Member
  • *******
  • Join Date: Jul 2011
  • Posts: 562
  • Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Broken Statues
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2011, 08:37:22 am »
Quote from: SatSekhem;9516
My Hwt-Hrw statue was broken months ago and it was not fixable. So, I bought myself a new one and have the broken statue sitting around because I can't quite figure out what to do with it. Personally, I didn't feel that my broken statue was acceptable for use anymore. I wouldn't go so far as to say that I thought a malevolent spirit would take over, but I just knew that it would not be a good thing to retain the broken statue when I could easily afford a new one.

 
Quote from: Allati;9529
It's not quite the same, but when I finally, finally ordered the Hathor statue I wanted, it arrived with both horns broken off. My response was to superglue them back on, and epoxy-sand-paint the gaps (miniature painting supplies suddenly helpful). I actually feel really attached to it after that, like it's really mine-and-hers, more than any of the full intact statues I have sitting around.

It may be a different situation when it's already been an object of veneration (or even been inhabited) at the time that it's broken.

 
Quote from: Devo;9824
I have had every.single.Aset.statue.break. Every single one. And I have 2 or 3 of them. If the break is minor, I'll just glue it up, and be good to go (the sun disc, a hand, a uraeus, etc). But if a deity breaks big time- I will decomission it, and bury it. It really is a case by case basis for me. If a statue was Open, I wouldn't tolerate any breaks in it- but that is a special case in and of itself.

-Devo


Thanks all for your input.

My Demeter statue just had some paint chipped off, so I painted the whole thing another colour. She looks a bit different, but I'm satisfied with that. My Dionysus statue is the most damaged, as he broke into two pieces.I brought him back together with glue and green wax to fill in the gaps (the statue is green), and you can't really tell it was ever broken. I actually think this is fine, after thinking about it, since he is a god of dismemberment and reconstitution. I've done purification rituals on the statue and incensed it with prayers for him to re-inhabit it, so hopefully it's acceptable.

My statue of Aphrodite is the most tragic. Her damage is minor, but unfixable. A dolphin fin and a dove's tail have broken off the back, and it must have happened a while ago and I didn't notice, because I can't find the pieces to glue back on. It's not noticeable at all from the front, but I still feel like it's incomplete, so I'll probably just get a new one when the need arises.  I's just sad because I was really attached to that statue, since it represented the goddess I have the most reverence for, and I've had it for so long.

Devo

  • Master Member
  • ******
  • Join Date: Jul 2011
  • Posts: 346
  • Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
    • http://seshemherkekew.livejournal.com
Re: Broken Statues
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2011, 10:26:49 am »
Quote from: Carnelian;9877
I's just sad because I was really attached to that statue, since it represented the goddess I have the most reverence for, and I've had it for so long.

 
Maybe it's her way of saying it's time for a fresh statue, a fresh start?

-Devo
dA | FB | LJ | WP

Nyktelios

  • Sr. Master Member
  • *******
  • Join Date: Jul 2011
  • Posts: 562
  • Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Broken Statues
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2011, 10:57:56 am »
Quote from: Devo;9906
Maybe it's her way of saying it's time for a fresh statue, a fresh start?

-Devo

 
Maybe so. I did find one online that I really like, and it's way less expensive than the broken one was.

DashesAgainst

Re: Broken Statues
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2011, 11:13:54 am »
Quote from: Carnelian;9877
Thanks all for your input.

My Dionysus statue is the most damaged, as he broke into two pieces.I brought him back together with glue and green wax to fill in the gaps (the statue is green), and you can't really tell it was ever broken. I actually think this is fine, after thinking about it, since he is a god of dismemberment and reconstitution. I've done purification rituals on the statue and incensed it with prayers for him to re-inhabit it, so hopefully it's acceptable.

Good thinking!!!

Quote
My statue of Aphrodite is the most tragic. Her damage is minor, but unfixable. A dolphin fin and a dove's tail have broken off the back, and it must have happened a while ago and I didn't notice, because I can't find the pieces to glue back on. It's not noticeable at all from the front, but I still feel like it's incomplete, so I'll probably just get a new one when the need arises.  I's just sad because I was really attached to that statue, since it represented the goddess I have the most reverence for, and I've had it for so long.

:-(

Perhaps you can try making replacement parts out of sculpey, or a similar product?  The shape changes a little when its baked (if I remember correctly, I've only used it once), but you can file it to fit.  Shouldn't be too bad for a simple shape such a tail or a fin, they're  both basically triangles.

http://www.sculpey.com/
« Last Edit: August 02, 2011, 11:18:01 am by DashesAgainst »
"Of all the rest of mankind, make him your friend who distinguishes himself by his virtue." - The Golden Verses of Pythagoras

NibbleKat

  • Master Member
  • ******
  • Join Date: Jul 2011
  • Posts: 401
  • Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
    • http://nibblekat.deviantart.com
Re: Broken Statues
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2011, 11:47:47 am »
Quote from: Carnelian;9472
After moving a few years ago, some of the statues I use as deity representations were broken in transport. Only one of them was badly damaged, which I fixed with Krazy Glue, and it looks fine now, but I wonder if it's still fit for worship.

I've heard that Hindus believe that if their idols are damaged, evil spirits can enter them and are no longer able to be venerated as the deity they represent, although some can be repaired and purified, but not always. I'm not really that superstitious, I see statues as being just a visual focal point for ritual, but I'd also like to err on the side of caution.

Has anyone had experiences like this when an idol they use breaks? I'm wondering if I should just get a new statue, or if the one I have is still acceptable.


I remember that years ago, I broke either a wing or the staff on my Hermes statue... I've had it for so long that I can't say exactly which it was, but I glued it back on and continued using it. You couldn't really tell where the break was, though. I had no problems with that, because it was so minor.
I do altar art, icons, and pagan art!
http://nibblekat.deviantart.com
Ask if you\'re interested.

monsnoleedra

  • Sr. Master Member
  • *******
  • Join Date: Jul 2011
  • Banned!
  • Posts: 957
  • Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Total likes: 1
    • View Profile
Re: Broken Statues
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2011, 06:04:32 pm »
Quote from: Carnelian;9472
..Has anyone had experiences like this when an idol they use breaks? I'm wondering if I should just get a new statue, or if the one I have is still acceptable.


I tend to think at times the gods / goddesses speak to us through such breakages.  Especially so when you look at where and how some of those breaks occur and the difficulty in actually causing such a break without really causing excessive damage to the item.

Sometimes though I also think it a way to get us to look at them.  Every statue out there is but an artistic rendering of how a person views a specific god / goddess.  Yet it doesn't mean the person was correct in their view.  I've seen far to many "Extras" added to sculptures because the artist liked it.  Seen just as many of those extras broken away which sort of makes one ask was it the god / goddess in question removing it.

Its like statuary of Artemis for instance, I've seen naked Artemis', i've seen her in short chitons, long chitons, with maiden knotts and with women knotts.  Seen them with deer and dogs, most with bow and arrow and a few with spear, heck even some with a single torch only in an artistic attempt to show how the artist saw her.

Have had myself and known of other's who bought them and suffered the same breakage.  Dogs broken off the base only to discover that dogs did not appear on statuary of Artemis until the Roman period and probably depicted Diana who is associated with dogs.  Artistic extra's that are broken off that added nothing to the statuary nor aided in presenting a myth.

I admit I am torn when the damage is to the centeral facet or aspect of the statuary.  To me it is the representation of what or who I hold dear so it seem's disrespectful to not have the best I can possess.  Yet I also pause to consider the manner or method the breakage occured in.  For instance one person I know has a statue of Kali with one hand or arm broken off, yet he will not replace it for the hand that was broken is the reflection of the deep troubles in his life.  A reflection so deep that even replacement statuary has suffered the same loss.

I also think that it shows more dedication and commitment to ones god / goddesses to go the extra step and try and repair the statuary than to simply run out and purchase a new one.  That to me is a sign of our throw away society.  Yet to take the time to try and repair it to the best of ones ability shows a commitment and dedication to what it represents.  It shows a depth of care and concern and appreciation for the artistic value, intrinsic value and how one trully sees what the item represents.

But in the final analysis it all depends upon what the individual thinks and feels about it not what another thinks about it.

Cirrus13

  • Apprentice
  • ***
  • Join Date: Aug 2011
  • Posts: 24
  • Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Broken Statues
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2011, 03:00:35 pm »
Quote from: Carnelian;9472
Has anyone had experiences like this when an idol they use breaks? I'm wondering if I should just get a new statue, or if the one I have is still acceptable.


Recently, i performed my first Opening of the Mouth ceremony. I hold true that the statue, after being Opened, is a place where the deity can enter freely, when called upon. Were it to split in two, personally I would bury the statue and have it replaced. I've got this feeling that.. my deity wouldn't be able to inhabit the statue again, or enter it fully, you know? :( That's my opinion on it, at least.
Disclaimer: Anything I post can be classified as UPG unless otherwise stated.

Devo

  • Master Member
  • ******
  • Join Date: Jul 2011
  • Posts: 346
  • Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
    • http://seshemherkekew.livejournal.com
Re: Broken Statues
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2011, 03:45:38 pm »
Quote from: Inucirrus;12634
Recently, i performed my first Opening of the Mouth ceremony. I hold true that the statue, after being Opened, is a place where the deity can enter freely, when called upon. Were it to split in two, personally I would bury the statue and have it replaced. I've got this feeling that.. my deity wouldn't be able to inhabit the statue again, or enter it fully, you know? :( That's my opinion on it, at least.

 
That makes sense, but not all statues are open, which I think is something that needs to be taken into account.  

What ritual/book/resource did you use to Open the Mouth of your statue?

-Devo
dA | FB | LJ | WP

Cirrus13

  • Apprentice
  • ***
  • Join Date: Aug 2011
  • Posts: 24
  • Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Broken Statues
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2011, 05:54:25 pm »
Quote from: Devo;12649
That makes sense, but not all statues are open, which I think is something that needs to be taken into account.  

What ritual/book/resource did you use to Open the Mouth of your statue?

-Devo

True, though I still think that if you have a statue, whether Open or not, a deity could be channeled through it.. If it were broken, at least the energy associated with it would somehow be... broken? fractured? I personally wouldn't be comfortable with it.
 
This is the book I mainly followed, though guidance from other people and websites were consulted ^-^; Still rather new, still gathering information to use.
http://www.isisbooks.com/images/0738704385.jpg
« Last Edit: August 13, 2011, 05:55:39 pm by Cirrus13 »
Disclaimer: Anything I post can be classified as UPG unless otherwise stated.

Devo

  • Master Member
  • ******
  • Join Date: Jul 2011
  • Posts: 346
  • Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
    • http://seshemherkekew.livejournal.com
Re: Broken Statues
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2011, 06:51:46 pm »
Quote from: Inucirrus;12680
True, though I still think that if you have a statue, whether Open or not, a deity could be channeled through it.. If it were broken, at least the energy associated with it would somehow be... broken? fractured? I personally wouldn't be comfortable with it.
 
This is the book I mainly followed, though guidance from other people and websites were consulted ^-^; Still rather new, still gathering information to use.
http://www.isisbooks.com/images/0738704385.jpg

 

I think it depends on the god, and their preferences, honestly. If my Set statue broke, I'd probably be required to get a new one. But I have a few other statues that have been broke, and the deities didn't care. So I think it's case by case basis.

I've read that book. Not very recon, which raises concerns for me about opening a statue. I question if people understand the gravity of having an open statue when books of that nature are the source. But to each their own.

-Devo
dA | FB | LJ | WP

monsnoleedra

  • Sr. Master Member
  • *******
  • Join Date: Jul 2011
  • Banned!
  • Posts: 957
  • Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Total likes: 1
    • View Profile
Re: Broken Statues
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2011, 07:04:36 pm »
Quote from: Devo;12693
I think it depends on the god, and their preferences, honestly. If my Set statue broke, I'd probably be required to get a new one. But I have a few other statues that have been broke, and the deities didn't care. So I think it's case by case basis.

I've read that book. Not very recon, which raises concerns for me about opening a statue. I question if people understand the gravity of having an open statue when books of that nature are the source. But to each their own.

-Devo


I wonder if the Egyptian gods / goddess really think that much about thier statuary.  If one looks to the various dynasties it was common practice to deface statuary and redo them with new ruler names upon them.  Heck look at Pahket - Bastet - Sehkmet their statuary was always being changed, especially in regards to having a cat head or lion head upon the human figure.

I do agree about having "Open" statues though, especially given that nothing says the divinity they are open for watches them all the time.  Myself I do not open them except during ritual then close them, but that is just me.

Tags:
 

Related Topics

  Subject / Started by Replies Last post
3 Replies
1206 Views
Last post December 11, 2011, 01:23:18 pm
by Juniperberry
1 Replies
784 Views
Last post February 10, 2014, 07:57:26 am
by RandallS
11 Replies
8892 Views
Last post April 24, 2015, 07:52:55 am
by RandallS
7 Replies
801 Views
Last post May 19, 2015, 05:44:56 pm
by Demophon
5 Replies
1708 Views
Last post July 04, 2016, 01:06:59 am
by Night Owl

* Members in Chat

0 members chatting in CauldronMUX:
Updated every five minutes or so

* Who's Online

  • Dot Guests: 25
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 5
  • Dot Users Online:

* Please Donate!

The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.

* In Memoriam

Chavi (2006)
Elspeth (2010)
Marilyn (2013)

* Cauldron Staff

Co-Hosts:
LyricFox & Randall

Message Board Staff
Board Coordinator:
Sunflower

Assistant Board Coordinator:
Aster Breo

Board Staff:
Allaya, Chatelaine, Emma-Eldritch, HarpingHawke, Jenett, Morag, rocquelaire, Sefiru, Tana

CauldronMUX Chat Staff
Chief MUX Wizard:
Darkhawk

Reserve Staff:
Aisling, Bob, Catja, Fausta, Sperran, Steve

Cauldron Council:
Everfool, Jubes, Kelly, Koi, Melamphoros, Ocelot, Phouka, Sashapablo, Star

Cauldron Assistants
[Non-Staff Positions]

Site Assistants
[Non-Staff Positions]
Webmaster:
Randall