Re: "Christ Is King" by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 10:30:17 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 08:31:19 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 07:54:40 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Sefiru
[Yesterday at 07:44:49 pm]

Author Topic: Backflow incense  (Read 1961 times)

PerditaPickle

• Staff
  • It's all metta - at least, I believe it should be
    • View Profile
    • Portrait of Perpetual Perplexity
  • Religion: Druid-ish
  • Preferred Pronouns: She/her/hers
Backflow incense
« on: January 02, 2019, 12:16:44 pm »
Has anyone used backflow incense?

I can't use incense sticks and the like, because the smoke makes me feel nauseated, and my husband would also not tolerate it - I'm wondering whether the smoke from backflow incense makes the room smell of the smoke, or does it keep itself confined to the region of the incense holder (as some of the photos online would *seem* to suggest)?

Does anyone else with issues with incense have any other alternative suggestions?  I know there's been threads along these lines before, and I myself tend to drop essential oils onto tealight candles & burn those, as one alternative to incense.
“Radiate boundless love towards the entire world — above, below, and across — unhindered, without ill will, without enmity.” – The Buddha
(From the Metta Sutta)

My Portrait of Perpetual Perplexity blog

Jainarayan

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
Re: Backflow incense
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2019, 03:51:38 pm »

I can't use incense sticks and the like, because the smoke makes me feel nauseated, and my husband would also not tolerate it - I'm wondering whether the smoke from backflow incense makes the room smell of the smoke, or does it keep itself confined to the region of the incense holder (as some of the photos online would *seem* to suggest)?

Does anyone else with issues with incense have any other alternative suggestions?  I know there's been threads along these lines before, and I myself tend to drop essential oils onto tealight candles & burn those, as one alternative to incense.

I don't have any experience with backflow incense, but my curiosity prompted me to look it up. It doesn't seem promising. https://www.reddit.com/r/Incense/comments/8rwhh5/psa_stay_away_from_backflow_incense/

Tl;dr The reviewer said the room smelled like "a campfire someone threw trash in".

Eastling

• Sr. Master Member
  • Love and be free.
    • View Profile
    • Mystermercury
  • Religion: Modern Dionysian hero cultus and heretical Judaism
  • Preferred Pronouns: He/him/his
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2019, 04:24:29 pm »
Does anyone else with issues with incense have any other alternative suggestions?

It depends on what you use the incense for.

For some people it's just a matter of a nice scent, in which case there are a lot of options--various scented candles (some are terrible, but some are quite nice and don't set off sensitivities the way incense often does) and diffusers. For others (myself included), the smoke itself is a key element which serves as a kind of godbait. That one's trickier; perhaps a small mist machine might substitute?

It's also worth investigating different kinds of incense, as you suggest here. Backflow incense is probably not the answer; it seems to be more of an attractive gimmick than anything, which can be nice if you don't have a problem with the smoke, but you do, so...I've found that Japanese incense is often better quality and cleaner-burning than most of what you find in stores in the West. You might want to check out those brands (Nippon Kodo and Shoyeido are ones I've had luck with).
"The peacock can show its whole tail at once, but I can only tell you a story."
--JAMES ALAN GARDNER

PerditaPickle

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2019, 04:30:05 pm »
I don't have any experience with backflow incense, but my curiosity prompted me to look it up. It doesn't seem promising. https://www.reddit.com/r/Incense/comments/8rwhh5/psa_stay_away_from_backflow_incense/

Tl;dr The reviewer said the room smelled like "a campfire someone threw trash in".

Thanks for that, that's useful to bear in mind.

I've found that Japanese incense is often better quality and cleaner-burning than most of what you find in stores in the West. You might want to check out those brands (Nippon Kodo and Shoyeido are ones I've had luck with).

Smoke isn't crucial for me, but (nausea issues aside) I always quite fancied the incense, maybe as an offering or a very minor ritual element - so I might try some Japanese incense some day, if I can get a batch for my friend and talk her into burning it when we get together so I can try it without subjecting my home and my husband to it initially, just in case.  Thanks!

Edit: corrected a typo
“Radiate boundless love towards the entire world — above, below, and across — unhindered, without ill will, without enmity.” – The Buddha
(From the Metta Sutta)

Dynes Hysbys

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Cunning Craft
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2019, 08:46:36 am »

I've never tried it as I generally make my own incenses.

If I don't want smoke I'll put some fresh herbs in a small pot of water and heat gently over a candle flame.  This   style of oil burner works really well as the bowl is nice and deep and it's the one I use. However any arrangement of a flame proof vessel over a flame will work. I've used a banana stand to suspend an iron cauldron over a candle flame many times.

https://www.candlesdirect.com/yankee-candle-cream-petal-wax-burner

(I also use the stand for a home made micro still for lavender and rose water but that's a whole other topic)

PerditaPickle

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2019, 09:03:02 am »
If I don't want smoke I'll put some fresh herbs in a small pot of water and heat gently over a candle flame.  This   style of oil burner works really well as the bowl is nice and deep and it's the one I use. However any arrangement of a flame proof vessel over a flame will work. I've used a banana stand to suspend an iron cauldron over a candle flame many times.

Those are awesome ideas, thanks!
(From the Metta Sutta)

Holdasown

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • Blog
  • Religion: Norse/Germanic Polytheists
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2019, 09:15:08 am »

You could try a diffuser with essential oil. Those give off scent with no smoke. I use peppermint in mine right now to sooth our sinuses. Very light and the oil goes a long way only few drops per 1/4 cup distilled water.

Donal2018

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Universalist
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2019, 01:44:31 pm »
You could try a diffuser with essential oil. Those give off scent with no smoke. I use peppermint in mine right now to sooth our sinuses. Very light and the oil goes a long way only few drops per 1/4 cup distilled water.

The essential oil and diffuser might be the way to go. I used to use a lot of incense until I read that it might be more carcinogenic than cigarettes. (I do not have a reference for this, but might google it). I had a friend who used a diffuser and essential oils, and it was very nice.

Aetherwinds

• Sr. Newbie
  • M = GL (1- A) (1-R)
    • View Profile
  • Religion: it's complicated
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2019, 03:18:55 pm »

I use backflow incense and the smoke do keep to the recipient. Mine is an Asian dragon on a mountain and the smoke cascade down the slopes to the valley below. Super pretty! The room will still smell good but the smoke is contained. I found it is very good for air meditation with a focus.

Tags: