Re: "Christ Is King" by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:06:51 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 10:30:17 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 08:31:19 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 07:54:40 pm]

Author Topic: Any Overlap Between Slavic and Celtic?  (Read 4192 times)

goblin-queen

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
  • Religion: A hodge-podge
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
Any Overlap Between Slavic and Celtic?
« on: August 30, 2020, 05:05:49 pm »
This year I've been trying to streamline just about everything, especially my practise. It has so many disparate parts that engaging in it feels more like a chore than something to find joy in.

Which leads me to my question, is there any overlap between Slavic and Celtic methods of worship?

Even though my practise also contains Christian and Ancient Greek leanings I always come back to the Celtic and Slavic pantheons. They truly feel like home.

However, juggling the two feels pretty overwhelming. I feel like by trying to split my time between both that neither are getting my best.

Anyway, going back to my original question; are there any similarities between the two? A particular area of struggle are the holidays, which is a shame because they should be the part that's the most fun. But I have a hard time reconciling the Slavic and Celtic calendars, possibly due to their respective mythos.

Anyone out there struggling with similar issues? Hmu, it'd be cool to know that I'm not alone on this particular strugglebus.  :D
« Last Edit: August 30, 2020, 05:07:30 pm by goblin-queen »
“...talent means nothing, while experience, acquired in humility and with hard work, means everything.”

LunarCelt

• Jr. Newbie
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Wicca
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him
Re: Any Overlap Between Slavic and Celtic?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2020, 05:32:54 am »
Hey there goblin-queen, you ask some very interesting questions. I have delved into this in the past. I recommend a book called "The Druids, A Comparative Study of Indo-European Pagan Practice" by G. Alexander. The book does a comparative study between the ancient Celts socio-religious framework and other inhabitants of ancient Europe. Mr Alexander suggests that there is a common religious heritage between the Druids and other ancient European cultures. For instance, the Druids used sacred oak groves to worship their god's such as with the Celtic thunder-god, 'Taranis'. And the Baltic thunder god 'Perkunas' had many oak groves in Lithuania dedicated to his worship.

I was reading elsewhere that the Slavic thunder god 'Perun' has etymological similarities to the Baltic god, Perkunas, because the name of both god's have the same Proto-Indo-European language root. The Encyclopedia Britannica also references that the Slavic god, Perun as being associated with sacred oak groves.

So methods of worship between the European thunder god's, Celtic Taranas, Baltic Perkunas and Slavic Perun seems to point towards sacred oak groves. I wonder do any of the other respective god's from those cultures have similarities? Maybe further research for another day.

Do you have any information on the Slavic calendars? I think it would be interesting to do a comparison.

Blessed be  ;)

This year I've been trying to streamline just about everything, especially my practise. It has so many disparate parts that engaging in it feels more like a chore than something to find joy in.

Which leads me to my question, is there any overlap between Slavic and Celtic methods of worship?

Even though my practise also contains Christian and Ancient Greek leanings I always come back to the Celtic and Slavic pantheons. They truly feel like home.

However, juggling the two feels pretty overwhelming. I feel like by trying to split my time between both that neither are getting my best.

Anyway, going back to my original question; are there any similarities between the two? A particular area of struggle are the holidays, which is a shame because they should be the part that's the most fun. But I have a hard time reconciling the Slavic and Celtic calendars, possibly due to their respective mythos.

Anyone out there struggling with similar issues? Hmu, it'd be cool to know that I'm not alone on this particular strugglebus.  :D

SirPalomides

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Surrealist with feet in Chinese and Western esotericism
  • Preferred Pronouns: thou/thee
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2020, 09:21:53 am »

The Celts were very widespread in their day. Some of them ended up in the north Balkans and other areas now predominately Slavic. It would be interesting to see what, if any, continuity can be found between the cultures.

In the meantime, here's a Serbian band that covers Irish drinking songs :)

« Last Edit: September 09, 2020, 09:23:51 am by SirPalomides »

goblin-queen

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
  • Religion: A hodge-podge
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2020, 06:44:36 am »
Do you have any information on the Slavic calendars? I think it would be interesting to do a comparison.

Blessed be  ;)

Hello! Yes, I know a little about Slavic calendars, there seems to be some similarities between the two. This is the information I've garnered thus far:

The year kicks off with Koliada, which falls about January 7th. It's marked with bonfires, singing and feasting.

The Spring Equinox sees the celebration of Komoeditsa/Maslenitsa which celebrates the role of the god Veles.

Come June, there's Semik (Green Week) which is a festival to help to lay the unclean dead to rest and to ensure fertility. This proceeds Kupala Night, which I believe falls on June 21st. This is a celebration of life, love and fertility.

Do%u017Cynki is the harvest festival that coincides with the Autumn Equinox, I think it's about giving thanks for the harvest. 

Dziady is dedicated to ancestor worship and seems to be a more solemn version of Samhain.

It's also punctuated with feast days and rituals; such as the burning/drowning of Morana to make the end of Winter.

Hope this helped some!  :)
“...talent means nothing, while experience, acquired in humility and with hard work, means everything.”

Tags: