Re: moses or mose by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 09:48:58 pm]

moses or mose by Larix
[Yesterday at 08:24:25 pm]

Re: "2001: A Space Odyssey" Becomes Real? by Ashmire
[March 14, 2024, 01:21:17 am]

Re: "2001: A Space Odyssey" Becomes Real? by atr
[March 14, 2024, 01:15:08 am]

Author Topic: Altars & Tools: Construction and Dedication  (Read 4915 times)

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
Re: Altars & Tools: Construction and Dedication
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2017, 09:05:05 pm »
However, I'm having difficulty finding what type of woods to use. I'm contemplating the creation of a separate thread to chronicle this so that others can see it later on - which reminds me: is that an option here? Where would one put such a thread?

Absolutely an option, and I look forward to it! The forum I'd recommend for it is Crafts and Hobbies, one of our Social Discussion Forums.

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

TheGreenWizard

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2017, 10:01:17 pm »
Absolutely an option, and I look forward to it! The forum I'd recommend for it is Crafts and Hobbies, one of our Social Discussion Forums.

Sunflower

Thank you SunflowerP for the guidance. I'll get it started soon :)
“You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. You're on your own. And you know what you know. And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go...”
― Dr. Seuss, Oh, the Places You'll Go

Crystalline

• View Profile
  • Religion: Omniist
  • Preferred Pronouns: She/Her
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2017, 06:16:08 am »
However, I'm having difficulty finding what type of woods to use. I'm contemplating the creation of a separate thread to chronicle this so that others can see it later on - which reminds me: is that an option here? Where would one put such a thread?

There are a lot of good types of wood that you can use for such a box. However, my personal suggestion would be cedar. This is partly because of the natural properties of cedar wood and partly because it is beautiful. Not only will it naturally keep insects at bay, but because of the region cedar grows, and the climate it grows in, it is rot resistant. Cedar also naturally combats the damaging effects of humidity fluctuation, such as warping. Since you live in New York (me too!), you likely go through the regular humidity spikes which can actually damage wood. There's a lot of native american lore around cedar, too.

There are also a lot of other good options. This place >> http://www.lakeshorehardwoods.com/lumber-pricing is a good look at types and general pricing for both domestic and exotics. My hubby likes to purchase there for bowyering staves, so I can attest to their quality and pricing! Whatever you decide to use, I am sure it will be beautiful! I'd love to see the finished product! :)

TheGreenWizard

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2017, 12:51:07 pm »
There are a lot of good types of wood that you can use for such a box. However, my personal suggestion would be cedar. This is partly because of the natural properties of cedar wood and partly because it is beautiful. Not only will it naturally keep insects at bay, but because of the region cedar grows, and the climate it grows in, it is rot resistant. Cedar also naturally combats the damaging effects of humidity fluctuation, such as warping. Since you live in New York (me too!), you likely go through the regular humidity spikes which can actually damage wood. There's a lot of native american lore around cedar, too.

There are also a lot of other good options. This place >> http://www.lakeshorehardwoods.com/lumber-pricing is a good look at types and general pricing for both domestic and exotics. My hubby likes to purchase there for bowyering staves, so I can attest to their quality and pricing! Whatever you decide to use, I am sure it will be beautiful! I'd love to see the finished product! :)

That's one reason why I want to go with cedar - it has such great properties and lends itself very well to spell work.

Out of curiosity, does the place ship out to NYC to your knowledge?
“You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. You're on your own. And you know what you know. And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go...”

Crystalline

• View Profile
  • Religion: Omniist
  • Preferred Pronouns: She/Her
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2017, 08:06:44 pm »
Out of curiosity, does the place ship out to NYC to your knowledge?

This I do not know. I would imagine that you have to pick up, though I could be wrong. However, they may have information about places more your way. They have to have suppliers for exotic woods, since we don't have woods like ebony that grow here.

If they don's ship, there is always the ACE, Home Depot, Lowes options. I did a little research, and this is what I found!

Home Depot: http://www.homedepot.com/p/14-sq-ft-Western-Cedar-Planks-6-Pack-8203015/202106509

Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Woodcraft-Woodshop-Aromatic-Cedar-36/dp/B0032YT6R4/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1501891276&sr=8-8&keywords=cedar+lumber

Lowes: https://www.lowes.com/pd/Empire-Company-3-5625-in-8-ft-Raw-Cedar/3799121

I also looked to see what was available in the nyc area, and discovered this place >> http://www.menschmill.com/ While there is no mention of cedar in their products list, they may be able to order it for you. Most lumber places are willing to do that for a slight upcharge. Just be sure to know the market price before buying so they can't rip you off. That way, if the regular price of cedar is $2 a board foot, and they're trying to charge you $8, you can say wait a damn minute.

Another thing to consider for your project are the cedar grilling planks, or cedar tongue and groove. They would have to be fastened together to get the desired size you want, but might be worth it in the long run.

I hope this helps!

TheGreenWizard

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2017, 08:59:50 pm »
Thank you SunflowerP for the guidance. I'll get it started soon :)

And I forgot to update this thread with the crafting thread: https://ecauldron.com/forum/crafts-and-hobbies/journal-diy-altar-box/

Currently project is at a standstill until I get the damn wood. I have access to the tools - just can't quite find the wood (or decide on it unfortunately).