Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Altair
[April 09, 2024, 09:29:08 am]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Jenett
[April 08, 2024, 09:09:39 pm]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Sefiru
[April 08, 2024, 06:09:38 pm]

Re: Supermarket Witches by SirPalomides
[April 08, 2024, 09:49:17 am]

Author Topic: Altar and Shrine sharing pieces  (Read 2372 times)

a.walker.abroad

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
Altar and Shrine sharing pieces
« on: June 22, 2014, 08:06:19 pm »
So, here's the deal.  For the longest time, I've maintained a permanent working altar for devotional and magickal works.  Lately, as my practice continues to evolve and grow, I've decided to instead keep a smaller shrine up for daily devotions, and build an altar when I need it.  Some of my tools are very special to me, and I want to use them for both purposes, but the space where I want to put the shrine isn't big enough for a working where I would use an altar, or I would simply add the extra components to it (kind of expanding it).  
My problem is that I cant decide how I feel about taking pieces from my shrine to build my altar, then putting them back when I'm done. It's still spiritual use, but at the same time it feels a little wishie-washie.  Any thoughts?:(

Freesia

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
Re: Altar and Shrine sharing pieces
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2014, 01:38:40 am »
Quote from: Raventhorn;150768
So, here's the deal.  For the longest time, I've maintained a permanent working altar for devotional and magickal works.  Lately, as my practice continues to evolve and grow, I've decided to instead keep a smaller shrine up for daily devotions, and build an altar when I need it.  Some of my tools are very special to me, and I want to use them for both purposes, but the space where I want to put the shrine isn't big enough for a working where I would use an altar, or I would simply add the extra components to it (kind of expanding it).  
My problem is that I cant decide how I feel about taking pieces from my shrine to build my altar, then putting them back when I'm done. It's still spiritual use, but at the same time it feels a little wishie-washie.  Any thoughts?:(

It's your home. I use my kitchen table when I need the space otherwise my altar is a tiny letter desk. I rearrange the top all the time and just hung a candle sconce over it so candle space is no longer an issue. I have another space that I plan on clearing off and making a second altar or a shrine. I have no problem using the same items for each location and transferring things around as I see fit.

a.walker.abroad

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2014, 09:44:39 am »
Quote from: Freesia;150782
I have no problem using the same items for each location and transferring things around as I see fit.

That was my origianl line of thought, but most of the items I would use on the shrine would be moved for larger workings.  Not much of a permanent shrine if I almost completely dissassemble it a couple times a month...
Well, so long as the Old Ones and Beloved Dead don't strike me down, there shouldn't be a problem:D: And actually, now that I think about it, disassembly and reassembly of the shrine for each working would be a ritual in and of itself.:eek:

Vale

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2014, 07:05:25 pm »
Quote from: Raventhorn;150768

I do it all the time.

I have an ancestral shrine that is permanently set up. Working altars are set up as and when needed and I have no problem in moving items from one to the other. If anything it keeps the shrine "alive" rather than stagnating.

a.walker.abroad

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2014, 05:08:33 pm »
Quote from: Vale;152076
If anything it keeps the shrine "alive" rather than stagnating.

A very interesting point! I'm really starting to like the idea.

Tags: