Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Altair
[April 09, 2024, 09:29:08 am]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Jenett
[April 08, 2024, 09:09:39 pm]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Sefiru
[April 08, 2024, 06:09:38 pm]

Re: Supermarket Witches by SirPalomides
[April 08, 2024, 09:49:17 am]

Author Topic: 2 Deities 1 Shrine?  (Read 2674 times)

goblin-queen

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
  • Religion: A hodge-podge
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
2 Deities 1 Shrine?
« on: October 18, 2018, 03:23:44 pm »
I would love to know peoples' opinions on deities from different pantheons sharing a sacred space.

I ask because I feel called to both Skadi and Madeina and even though I view their energies as similar, their domains are completely different. However, I'm feeling a really strong pull to create a 'wilderness altar' to honour them both.

I think I'm just gonna start small and see how well they get along & if it doesn't work then i'll create separate shrines.

Anyway, I'd love to know if anyone has any experience in cross-pantheon or mixed-faith shrines. Heck, if you're the total opposite I'd love to hear your thoughts on the matter as well.  ;D

“...talent means nothing, while experience, acquired in humility and with hard work, means everything.”

Hariti

• Sr. Master Member
  • Kyrie Eleison
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Extremely Eclectic
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/they
Re: 2 Deities 1 Shrine?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2018, 08:26:23 pm »
I would love to know peoples' opinions on deities from different pantheons sharing a sacred space.

Jesus, Mary, and St. Michael moved into my Hindu shrine alongside Kali and Krishna a few months ago, and I've not had any negative response yet.

It's actually quite common for Hindus to do this; I even know a Nepalese Communist who installed Vladimir Lenin in his Hindu shrine!

So, from a Hindu perspective, it should be fine to put whoever you want in the same space, as long as those specific Gods don't object to it.
"The worshippers of the gods go to them; to the manes go the ancestor-worshippers; to the Deities who preside over the elements go their worshippers; My devotees come to Me." ... "Whichever devotee desires to adore whatever such Deity with faith, in all such votaries I make that particular faith unshakable. Endowed with that faith, a votary performs the worship of that particular deity and obtains the fruits thereof, these being granted by Me alone." - Sri Krishna

goblin-queen

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2018, 12:36:33 pm »
Jesus, Mary, and St. Michael moved into my Hindu shrine alongside Kali and Krishna a few months ago, and I've not had any negative response yet.

That's really interesting. This may be a dumb question but did you feel called to do that?

It's actually quite common for Hindus to do this; I even know a Nepalese Communist who installed Vladimir Lenin in his Hindu shrine!

I didn't know that, but tbh my knowledge of Hinduism is superficial at best. ^^; How interesting! It's funny you should say that as I plan to include a picture of Joan of Arc on my altar to Medeina and Skadi. I wasn't sure about it at first but you've convinced me!  :D

So, from a Hindu perspective, it should be fine to put whoever you want in the same space, as long as those specific Gods don't object to it.

I feel I may get some push back from Skadi as she is so independent, so I'm going to make sure she has plenty of her own space. Decorated in a way I hope she'll like.  :)
“...talent means nothing, while experience, acquired in humility and with hard work, means everything.”

Eastling

• Sr. Master Member
  • Love and be free.
    • View Profile
    • Mystermercury
  • Religion: Modern Dionysian hero cultus and heretical Judaism
  • Preferred Pronouns: He/him/his
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2018, 02:23:43 pm »
Anyway, I'd love to know if anyone has any experience in cross-pantheon or mixed-faith shrines. Heck, if you're the total opposite I'd love to hear your thoughts on the matter as well.  ;D

I keep my shrines and altars organized according to what I need each space for rather than necessarily which pantheon is in each. Granted, I only work with a few different religio-cultural milieus in the first place...

My main shrine is in a shelf above my bed and contains representations of Dionysos, Aphrodite, and Freddie Mercury, because the three of them intertwine in my practice. I have never gotten any bad feedback for mixing a twentieth-century rock star with ancient Greek gods.

Syncretism is a natural part of religion for many people. So long as you pay attention to how the altar or shrine works for you and your Powers and try to construct it accordingly, it should be fine.
"The peacock can show its whole tail at once, but I can only tell you a story."
--JAMES ALAN GARDNER

Hariti

• Sr. Master Member
  • Kyrie Eleison
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2018, 02:32:06 pm »
That's really interesting. This may be a dumb question but did you feel called to do that?

Yeah, pretty much. I come from a Christian background, and even after I left that faith, there were aspects of it that really appealed to me. In the last year or so, I've felt compelled to reconnect and reconcile those aspects with my new religious worldview.

I didn't know that, but tbh my knowledge of Hinduism is superficial at best.  How interesting! It's funny you should say that as I plan to include a picture of Joan of Arc on my altar to Medeina and Skadi. I wasn't sure about it at first but you've convinced me!

Yeah, Hindus are a diverse and eclectic religious community. We have many gods, many schools of though, and we often cross streams with other understandings of the world. In Nepal, most people are Hindu and Buddhist at the same time, in Bali Hindus have adopted some Islamic ideas as well as some animistic ones, and all over India local gods are mixed with the more popular mainstream Hindu deities.

I feel I may get some push back from Skadi as she is so independent, so I'm going to make sure she has plenty of her own space. Decorated in a way I hope she'll like.

My own personal understanding is that the ancient Norse worshiped many Gods, rather than devoting themselves to a single god per individual. I suspect that Skadi is used to being worshiped alongside Odin, Thor, Njord, Freya, and other Norse deities, and probably won't mind the company. Especially given that her mythology says she's not a native born Aesir anyway, but rather a Jotunn, so she's probably used to sharing space with beings different from herself. Just my two cents, take them or leave them, I'm not Heathen!
"The worshippers of the gods go to them; to the manes go the ancestor-worshippers; to the Deities who preside over the elements go their worshippers; My devotees come to Me." ... "Whichever devotee desires to adore whatever such Deity with faith, in all such votaries I make that particular faith unshakable. Endowed with that faith, a votary performs the worship of that particular deity and obtains the fruits thereof, these being granted by Me alone." - Sri Krishna

arete

• Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
  • Religion: pagan
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2018, 02:57:30 pm »
The gods from the greek pantheon share with gods of all pantheons. If you want a common altar with the greek gods and gods from other pantheons that would be great.  :)

goblin-queen

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2018, 05:46:01 pm »
I keep my shrines and altars organized according to what I need each space for rather than necessarily which pantheon is in each. Granted, I only work with a few different religio-cultural milieus in the first place...

That makes sense :) I think my problem is I compartmentalise too much, which often leaves me with lots of stuff to juggle. Which is why I'm trying to unite my practice into one coherent entity. I'm really curious about the idea of a religio-cultural path. What or who do you work with?

My main shrine is in a shelf above my bed and contains representations of Dionysos, Aphrodite, and Freddie Mercury, because the three of them intertwine in my practice. I have never gotten any bad feedback for mixing a twentieth-century rock star with ancient Greek gods.

I'm fascinated by that blend of pop culture and religion. What set you down that path?

Syncretism is a natural part of religion for many people. So long as you pay attention to how the altar or shrine works for you and your Powers and try to construct it accordingly, it should be fine.

That's very true, I think I need to be more flexible in my thinking.  :D

Btw sorry if i'm a touch in-eloquent, I'm rather tired. ^^;

goblin-queen

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2018, 05:50:45 pm »
The gods from the greek pantheon share with gods of all pantheons. If you want a common altar with the greek gods and gods from other pantheons that would be great.  :)

That's true! Aphrodite and Amphitrite rubbed up along nicely with Hathor when they had to share a teeny tiny altar. It was such a pleasant, tranquil space and I can't wait to set it up again.  ;D

Eastling

• Sr. Master Member
  • Love and be free.
    • View Profile
    • Mystermercury
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2018, 10:09:51 pm »
I'm fascinated by that blend of pop culture and religion. What set you down that path?

I'd been pursuing an eclectic path mixing Jewish practices and some pop culture elements with the worship of Hellenic and proto-Hellenic deities (particularly Dionysos and Ariadne-Aphrodite) for about a year when I listened to the discography of Queen for the first time and started getting emphatic messages from Mercury that he was both a Power in his own right and had also been syncretized with Dionysos and Aphrodite in my practice for a while now.

It was very weird and intense. I made a point of demanding a lot of proof of my Powers to justify this claim, and they gave it to me generously in signs and portents, divination results, and personal experiences.

Eclecticism happens. Sometimes it just can't be stopped.
--JAMES ALAN GARDNER

goblin-queen

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2018, 12:34:53 pm »
Yeah, pretty much. I come from a Christian background, and even after I left that faith, there were aspects of it that really appealed to me. In the last year or so, I've felt compelled to reconnect and reconcile those aspects with my new religious worldview.

I know what you mean, despite Christianity never clicking for me I still feel an overwhelming sense of calm in the presence of the Virgin Mary. I remember going to a shrine years ago and the only way I can think to describe it was that I felt utterly still. It was such a wonderful feeling. What are the aspects you feel drawn to?

Yeah, Hindus are a diverse and eclectic religious community. We have many gods, many schools of though, and we often cross streams with other understandings of the world. In Nepal, most people are Hindu and Buddhist at the same time, in Bali Hindus have adopted some Islamic ideas as well as some animistic ones, and all over India local gods are mixed with the more popular mainstream Hindu deities.

I love the fluidity of that. The thing I find with some religions is that they're too 'our way is the only way'. That mindset just doesn't sit right with me.

My own personal understanding is that the ancient Norse worshiped many Gods, rather than devoting themselves to a single god per individual.

That's a really good point :) I'm not sure if Nordic people devoted themselves to a specific deity. I think I read somewhere that certain deities were patrons of specific groups of people. I think you're right about singular devotion, but I'm not Heathen either! Any Heathens wanna weigh in?   ;)

Hariti

• Sr. Master Member
  • Kyrie Eleison
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2018, 03:23:40 pm »
I know what you mean, despite Christianity never clicking for me I still feel an overwhelming sense of calm in the presence of the Virgin Mary. I remember going to a shrine years ago and the only way I can think to describe it was that I felt utterly still. It was such a wonderful feeling. What are the aspects you feel drawn to?

I was, and still am drawn to the forgiving nature of Christianity. Jesus is understood as an all-forgiving man/God who gave his life for people who didn't offer any thanks in return. He died for the murders, the thieves, the selfish and the sinful. That's an attitude that I think embodies the best part of human nature, and I think if more people acted that way, the world would be a better place.

Love your enemy. Forgive your enemy. Try to save your enemy. That's what appeals to me about Christianity; the God of the Old Testament might've been jealous, wroth, and hateful, but Jesus was none of those things.

What appeals to me about Mary is that she's something of an idealized mother figure. She's kinda, gentle, caring, and devoted to her family and her God. She's a female figure who avoids all the stereotypes of weak willed, sinful, emotional, lustful women so often seen in Western culture.

As for St. Michael, and the other angels, my interest is less philosophical. They're quite frankly, bad-asses who go around protecting humanity from evil. I've never been drawn to deism, and in fact deistic attitudes are what drove me to atheism for several years. The idea of a God who sits back and just lets the world run it's course, who doesn't actually do anything to interfere and help the innocent, really disgusted me. The angels are very much counter to that idea; they're sent by God to actually do good in the universe, to strike down the wicked and protect the innocent. That's the kind of divinity that I can give my support to! Many of the Hindu gods I worship take a similarly hands-on approach to fighting the forces of evil and wickedness.

Eastling

• Sr. Master Member
  • Love and be free.
    • View Profile
    • Mystermercury
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2018, 07:38:23 pm »
I know what you mean, despite Christianity never clicking for me I still feel an overwhelming sense of calm in the presence of the Virgin Mary. I remember going to a shrine years ago and the only way I can think to describe it was that I felt utterly still. It was such a wonderful feeling.

What appeals to me about Mary is that she's something of an idealized mother figure. She's kinda, gentle, caring, and devoted to her family and her God. She's a female figure who avoids all the stereotypes of weak willed, sinful, emotional, lustful women so often seen in Western culture. .

While Christianity has always been tangential at best to my religious life, I have mad respect for the Virgin Mary as a Power. She's quite an intriguing figure and obviously the equal of goddesses. You don't get to call yourself the Queen of Heaven for nothing.
--JAMES ALAN GARDNER

goblin-queen

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2018, 03:31:12 pm »
It was very weird and intense. I made a point of demanding a lot of proof of my Powers to justify this claim, and they gave it to me generously in signs and portents, divination results, and personal experiences.

It's so funny I had a similar experience today. Alfonso Ribeiro is a guest judge on Strictly Come Dancing at the moment and he just exudes so much joy.  I immediately thought of Hathor and Dionysus. Even though I won't be including him in my practice I totally recognise divine forces surrounding him. I can't really explain it, it's a weird feeling XD

Eclecticism happens. Sometimes it just can't be stopped.

Truer words have never been spoken.  ;D

I also totally agree with your points on the Virgin Mary. She's absolutely equal to deities in my mind.

goblin-queen

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2018, 04:09:06 pm »
What appeals to me about Mary is that she's something of an idealized mother figure. She's kinda, gentle, caring, and devoted to her family and her God. She's a female figure who avoids all the stereotypes of weak willed, sinful, emotional, lustful women so often seen in Western culture.

I definitely get maternal vibes from Mary, she loves unconditionally and exudes compassion. She strives to unify mankind in Jesus and even though I don't identify with the Christian idea of deity, the idea of unifying mankind is indisputably a worthwhile cause. 

As for St. Michael, and the other angels, my interest is less philosophical. They're quite frankly, bad-asses who go around protecting humanity from evil. I've never been drawn to deism, and in fact deistic attitudes are what drove me to atheism for several years. The idea of a God who sits back and just lets the world run it's course, who doesn't actually do anything to interfere and help the innocent, really disgusted me. The angels are very much counter to that idea; they're sent by God to actually do good in the universe, to strike down the wicked and protect the innocent. That's the kind of divinity that I can give my support to! Many of the Hindu gods I worship take a similarly hands-on approach to fighting the forces of evil and wickedness.

The hands off approach is what put me off as well. I saw God as a deadbeat dad, which admittedly a reflection of my own relationship with my father. I was never atheist, I was agnostic for a while whilst I was finding my feet. When I discovered Wicca everything clicked into place, now I see my faith as a patchwork quilt that's continuously being added to. I would love to work with Angels, but I keep getting a mental block. Where would you recommend I start? Oh yes I'm familiar with stories of Kali kicking some major demon-butt! 

Hariti

• Sr. Master Member
  • Kyrie Eleison
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2018, 04:27:43 pm »
Where would you recommend I start? Oh yes I'm familiar with stories of Kali kicking some major demon-butt!

I started from a Jewish and Islamic framework initially. Those religions have a rather complex angelology that deals with figures who aren't mention in Christian scriptures. Sufi writings tend to deal with angels, as does Kabbalah. I'm afraid I can't recommend any good sources, it's been a while since I looked into that sort of thing.

Recently, I've been much more interested in the Roman Catholic angelology, particularly of Gabriel and Michael, and the roles they play in Catholic prayer and ritual. There's a lot of information about them on the internet, and most of it is reliable. You could check out New Advent's pages on angels, it will obviously take a very orthodox Catholic point of view, but it is pretty reliable for understanding how Catholics view those angels.

Tags: