Re: "Christ Is King" by Sefiru
[Today at 07:44:49 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Sophia C
[Today at 07:21:31 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by SirPalomides
[Today at 07:13:48 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Sophia C
[Today at 07:04:14 pm]

Author Topic: Witches crossing rite/Witches foot etc.  (Read 2776 times)

Haugatysja

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
Witches crossing rite/Witches foot etc.
« on: December 17, 2012, 04:27:21 pm »
I don't know if I'm posting in the right section, but here goes:

I'm looking for information on the circle-cross method/witches crossing rite. There's some information about it in Treading the Mill by Nigel Pearson and I found a web page about it as well. But I would like to know more, like if it's just a form of the qabalistic cross or if it's Christian but adapted to Traditional Witchcraft? I also came across Robin Artisson's web page about the Witches Foot, with a similar crossing rite,  the purpose of the rites seem different, the first one is for for balancing and personal protection and the other one to connect with the universe and to gather power. I like the crossing rite and it suits me better than the qabalistic cross, but there are still some things I don't get, that might be because I'm Swedish :). For example what does "Holiness of the Wane and the True" mean? I'm also thinking of adapting it a bit to suit my practice, but I feel like I need to know as much as possible about it before I do.

Does anyone here use this rite and do you know of any good information on it?

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
Re: Witches crossing rite/Witches foot etc.
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2012, 04:00:16 am »
Quote from: Haugatysja;85243
For example what does "Holiness of the Wane and the True" mean?

Hmph.  Unless the meaning of "wane" in that is the much-less-common reference to an uneven edge in woodwork (in which case I'd take "true" in a similar way, as "straight" or "level", and suppose the phrase to mean that all things are holy whether they're neatly aligned or not - though that seems very contrived and rather like an excuse to use an obscure word of OE/AS provenance... which, if it's from Artisson, is likely to be the case), it doesn't make much sense at all.

Artisson, while he has a number of fine and useful (to some folks, myself included) insights, is extremely prone to being a pretentious git, and is unreliable history-wise.  While there's much to be said for knowing as much as possible about something before adopting or adapting it, I'd say that what feels right to you, for your practice, is no less sound than what felt right to Artisson.

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

Haugatysja

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2012, 01:31:39 pm »
Quote from: SunflowerP;85655
Hmph.  Unless the meaning of "wane" in that is the much-less-common reference to an uneven edge in woodwork (in which case I'd take "true" in a similar way, as "straight" or "level", and suppose the phrase to mean that all things are holy whether they're neatly aligned or not - though that seems very contrived and rather like an excuse to use an obscure word of OE/AS provenance... which, if it's from Artisson, is likely to be the case), it doesn't make much sense at all.

Artisson, while he has a number of fine and useful (to some folks, myself included) insights, is extremely prone to being a pretentious git, and is unreliable history-wise.  While there's much to be said for knowing as much as possible about something before adopting or adapting it, I'd say that what feels right to you, for your practice, is no less sound than what felt right to Artisson.

Sunflower

That makes me think about, The Crooked Path podcast, where they say something like,"by a bent line, by a straight line, by a crooked line.."
Yes, Artisson has written a lot of useful stuff, you just have too know how to pick it out from the rest of what he's written.

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2012, 04:25:33 am »
Quote from: Haugatysja;85826
That makes me think about, The Crooked Path podcast, where they say something like,"by a bent line, by a straight line, by a crooked line.."
Yes, Artisson has written a lot of useful stuff, you just have too know how to pick it out from the rest of what he's written.

The Crooked Path podcast is Peter Paddon, isn't it?  I have considerably more respect for him than I do for Artisson - with Artisson, I respect certain specific things; with Paddon, I have respect for him as a practitioner in general.

It does sound like it might be the same concept differently expressed, though (and I'm pretty sure Robert Cochrane said similar things as well, though I can't give you any cites), so I think that puzzling bit is answered.

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

Tags: