collapse

* Recent Posts

Re: A Deity for Every Season by Jenett
[Today at 11:02:13 am]


Re: Overcoming Feelings of Silliness by Jenett
[Today at 10:54:39 am]


Re: Magic and Health by Aisling
[Yesterday at 02:44:27 pm]


Re: Magic and Health by Aisling
[Yesterday at 08:54:17 am]


Re: Magic and Health by Stranger Things
[Yesterday at 07:08:25 am]

Author Topic: Witch Balls and Hex Signs  (Read 1626 times)

RedHawk

  • Journeyman
  • *****
  • Join Date: Jan 2013
  • Posts: 221
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Witch Balls and Hex Signs
« on: March 28, 2013, 09:20:26 pm »
Witch balls and hex signs are extremely important parts of my craft. I used a Christmas ball filled with herbs as my first witch ball and placed it on my altar. This was back when I lived upstate but now I have to wait until next Christmas to get one. If anyone doesn't know what a witch ball is, it's a ball designed to trap negative spirits. They are attracted to the color of the ball and get sucked in, thus trapped. A good herb to use inside a ball like the one that I have is Blackthorn berries and leaves.

Hex signs are colorful signs that are usually painted on barns or on disks that are hung outside or in the home. They come in various designs and colors, the design and color meaning something. They are known in the Penn Dutch country, though the Amish don't use them. You can order both witch balls and hex signs through different websites and if any of you need them then I'll give you the links.

Just some basic information that I didn't know, for sure, belonged here or not.

Aster Breo

  • Senior Staff
  • *
  • Join Date: Jun 2011
  • Posts: 2956
  • Country: 00
  • Total likes: 129
    • View Profile
Witch Balls and Hex Signs
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2013, 09:28:05 pm »
Quote from: RedHawk;103478
Witch balls and hex signs are extremely important parts of my craft. I used a Christmas ball filled with herbs as my first witch ball and placed it on my altar. This was back when I lived upstate but now I have to wait until next Christmas to get one.

I'm pretty sure you can find that kind of glass ball online any time of year.
"The status is not quo."  ~ Dr. Horrible

RedHawk

  • Journeyman
  • *****
  • Join Date: Jan 2013
  • Posts: 221
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Witch Balls and Hex Signs
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2013, 10:43:02 pm »
Quote from: Aster Breo;103483
I'm pretty sure you can find that kind of glass ball online any time of year.

 
Thanks, I'm going to look for it. I like the red and blue balls personally. Don't know why, but I think their pretty.

Emma Eldritch

  • Staff
  • *
  • Join Date: May 2012
  • Posts: 1265
  • Country: 00
  • Total likes: 68
    • View Profile
    • https://rocknrollwitch.blogspot.ca/
Re: Witch Balls and Hex Signs
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2013, 11:21:13 pm »
Quote from: RedHawk;103478

Hex signs are colorful signs that are usually painted on barns or on disks that are hung outside or in the home. They come in various designs and colors, the design and color meaning something. They are known in the Penn Dutch country, though the Amish don't use them. You can order both witch balls and hex signs through different websites and if any of you need them then I'll give you the links.

Just some basic information that I didn't know, for sure, belonged here or not.

 
I could never have a hex sign. It would clash with the decor.

Vale

  • Master Member
  • ******
  • Join Date: Jul 2011
  • Posts: 333
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Witch Balls and Hex Signs
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2013, 06:14:47 am »
Quote from: RedHawk;103478
If anyone doesn't know what a witch ball is, it's a ball designed to trap negative spirits. They are attracted to the color of the ball and get sucked in, thus trapped. A good herb to use inside a ball like the one that I have is Blackthorn berries and leaves.


This is a modern shift of usage. Traditionally they reflect away bad luck and keep witches out. I have a couple of family ones which were passed down to me.

More information at the museum of witchcraft

I'd use a spirit house for keeping spirits.

http://www.museumofwitchcraft.com/displayrecord_mow.php?ObjectNumber=1501
« Last Edit: March 29, 2013, 06:19:28 am by Vale »

yewberry

  • Grand Master Member
  • *******
  • Join Date: Jul 2011
  • Posts: 1775
  • Country: 00
  • Total likes: 1
    • View Profile
Re: Witch Balls and Hex Signs
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2013, 02:18:36 pm »
Quote from: Mama Fortuna;103529
I could never have a hex sign. It would clash with the decor.


They are (or have become, anyway) a little "country kitchen", huh?

Brina

Tana

  • Staff
  • *
  • Join Date: Jun 2011
  • Posts: 2295
  • Total likes: 3
    • View Profile
Re: Witch Balls and Hex Signs
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2013, 05:40:08 pm »
Quote from: Vale;103564

http://www.museumofwitchcraft.com/displayrecord_mow.php?ObjectNumber=1501


Squee! Just found the guide book - so cool.
\'You had to repay, good or bad. There was more than one type of obligation.
That’s what people never really understood.….Things had to balance.
You couldn’t set out to be a good witch or a bad witch. It never worked out for long.
All you could try to be was a witch, as hard as you could.\'
Terry Pratchett \'Lords and Ladies\'

Confuzzled and proud. :p

Emma Eldritch

  • Staff
  • *
  • Join Date: May 2012
  • Posts: 1265
  • Country: 00
  • Total likes: 68
    • View Profile
    • https://rocknrollwitch.blogspot.ca/
Re: Witch Balls and Hex Signs
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2013, 05:44:41 pm »
Quote from: yewberry;103632
They are (or have become, anyway) a little "country kitchen", huh?

Brina

 
A little, yeah. Mostly it's the colours. My apartment's very 'white with natural woods' so it would probably stick out in a weird way.

I do have a witch ball here in the office, though!

Aspiria

  • Master Member
  • ******
  • Join Date: Dec 2012
  • Posts: 433
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Witch Balls and Hex Signs
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2013, 06:35:22 pm »
Quote from: Mama Fortuna;103529
I could never have a hex sign. It would clash with the decor.

Hahaha

veggiewolf

  • Adept Member
  • ********
  • Join Date: Jul 2011
  • Posts: 3105
  • Total likes: 1
    • View Profile
Witch Balls and Hex Signs
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2013, 10:02:02 pm »
Quote from: RedHawk;103478
...

I like to use Japanese glass fishing floats for witch balls and for scrying.  The bubble inclusions work nicely for trapping unwanted "things".
Fluid Morality - my spiritual blog
Eating Monsters - my mental health blog

"Religion does not define a deity- it defines the human approach and interpretation of deity." - Juni
"I hate magical thinking in my magic." - Darkhawk
"...a baseball club; a soccer unkindness; a hockey murder; a football team..." - Cecil, Welcome to Night Vale

Tags:
 

Related Topics

  Subject / Started by Replies Last post
2 Replies
2033 Views
Last post November 13, 2011, 08:52:35 pm
by Miss
26 Replies
6103 Views
Last post November 12, 2013, 02:02:25 pm
by Lunamoth
21 Replies
4520 Views
Last post October 23, 2013, 02:22:32 pm
by missgraceless
0 Replies
1683 Views
Last post June 29, 2015, 02:16:02 pm
by RandallS
2 Replies
1327 Views
Last post July 29, 2015, 02:13:27 am
by Faemon

* Who's Online

  • Dot Guests: 40
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Please Donate!

The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.

* Shop & Support TC

The links below are affiliate links. When you click on one of these links you will go to the listed shopping site with The Cauldron's affiliate code. Any purchases you make during your visit will earn TC a tiny percentage of your purchase price at no extra cost to you.

* In Memoriam

Chavi (2006)
Elspeth (2010)
Marilyn (2013)

* Cauldron Staff

Host:
Sunflower

Message Board Staff
Board Coordinator:
Darkhawk

Assistant Board Coordinator:
Aster Breo

Senior Staff:
Aisling, Jenett, Sefiru

Staff:
Allaya, Chatelaine, EclecticWheel, HarpingHawke, Kylara, PerditaPickle, rocquelaire

Discord Chat Staff
Chat Coordinator:
Morag

Cauldron Council:
Bob, Catja, Emma-Eldritch, Fausta, Jubes, Kelly, LyricFox, Phouka, Sperran, Star, Steve, Tana

Site Administrator:
Randall

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal