Re: Pagan Traitor Storms the US Capitol? by Altair
[Yesterday at 09:27:38 am]

Re: Foods of the gods by Ashmire
[January 18, 2021, 07:50:34 pm]

Re: Foods of the gods by Sefiru
[January 18, 2021, 07:44:26 pm]

Re: Foods of the gods by Sefiru
[January 18, 2021, 07:23:41 pm]

Author Topic: Warlock DOES NOT mean "Oath breaker"  (Read 18780 times)

Fireof9

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
Re: Warlock DOES NOT mean "Oath breaker"
« Reply #240 on: February 26, 2013, 11:22:12 pm »
Quote from: stephyjh;98642
OK, you can't start a story like that and leave us hanging. It's not fair.

Its really long. It has a habit of changing every time he tells it as well.

The essence is that Hank the Monkey ( a character he came up with) can magically transport my son and his sister to the jungle where they play in Hanks tree house, swim in a swimming hole, eat a lot of banana's and coconuts, and swing on vines. They often play with Hanks brother, Mank, but Mank can't talk and rap the way Hank can. When they get bored of the jungle or just decide its a good idea, they all go to MLP land. There they play all sorts of magic games with the ponies and eat great feasts of fruits and nuts. Sometimes they all, or sometimes just Hank and my kids, go to visit Spongebob. There they eat burgers and go looking at all the sites in Bikini Bottom. Well apparently the I Carly people think this is great and they all go to the show and talk about their visits and the time they took a walk to the north pole to see Santa and have lunch with him.

That is the extremely condensed version of it.
Really?  So, hey, want to go fishing?  I\'ve got a telescope, and it\'s going to be a dark night, so we should see the fish really well.
...what, I\'m not talking about fishing?  That\'s stargazing?  It\'s all doing-stuff, so it\'s the same thing, right?
-HeartShadow

Yesterday is history, Tomorrow is a mystery,Today is a gift,thats why the call it the present - Master Oogway

Finding the Owl -my blog
The Gwyddonic Order

veggiewolf

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: February 27, 2013, 09:05:19 am »
Quote from: Fireof9;98646

The essence is that Hank the Monkey ( a character he came up with) can magically transport my son and his sister to the jungle where they play in Hanks tree house, swim in a swimming hole, eat a lot of banana's and coconuts, and swing on vines. They often play with Hanks brother, Mank, but Mank can't talk and rap the way Hank can. When they get bored of the jungle or just decide its a good idea, they all go to MLP land. There they play all sorts of magic games with the ponies and eat great feasts of fruits and nuts. Sometimes they all, or sometimes just Hank and my kids, go to visit Spongebob. There they eat burgers and go looking at all the sites in Bikini Bottom. Well apparently the I Carly people think this is great and they all go to the show and talk about their visits and the time they took a walk to the north pole to see Santa and have lunch with him.

That is the extremely condensed version of it.

Okay, how do I give your son rep?
Fluid Morality - my spiritual blog
Eating Monsters - my mental health blog

"Religion does not define a deity- it defines the human approach and interpretation of deity." - Juni
"I hate magical thinking in my magic." - Darkhawk
"...a baseball club; a soccer unkindness; a hockey murder; a football team..." - Cecil, Welcome to Night Vale

yewberry

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: February 27, 2013, 09:22:51 am »
Quote from: Fireof9;98646

When my son was little, I gave him a micro cassette recorder because he'd make up long, winding tales of similar complexity and couldn't write yet.  I still have and treasure these stories, now converted to digital recordings.

I highly recommend giving them a portable digital recorder of some sort.  You'll want to hear these again when they're older.  :)

Brina

Emma Eldritch

• Staff
    • View Profile
    • https://rocknrollwitch.blogspot.ca/
« Reply #243 on: February 27, 2013, 08:17:57 pm »
Quote from: Sveta;98355
It's one thing to say that someone appears to enjoy being in the spotlight (some folks do and there isn't necessarily anything wrong with that - different personalities enjoy different ways of living) .... it's another thing entirely to refer to them as "insane and dumb".

[it also sounds like something that I'd expect to hear in a fifth grade classroom]

I'm actually only popping in to admit that I am weirdly fond of Christian Day because he shows up on EVERY. SINGLE. TV show ever shot in Salem. I've seen him on a few 'the History of Witchcraft!' type shows, Penn and Teller's Bullshit! and an episode of What Not to Wear.

Think he also was n Christine Wicker's 'We're Not in Kansas Anymore.'

Anyway. Never met the guy, never shopped at his store, but I have to be amused by his sheer determination to dominate the pop culture landscape.

Fireof9

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: February 27, 2013, 08:47:42 pm »
Quote from: veggiewolf;98670
Okay, how do I give your son rep?

I will let him know you enjoyed it, that will make his day. He is having a bit of a rough time right now cause his teacher assistant ( a lady I went to school with) is fighting cancer and it has turned his world upside down. He is very sensitive to that kind of stuff. So hearing someone liked his story will make his day.
Really?  So, hey, want to go fishing?  I\'ve got a telescope, and it\'s going to be a dark night, so we should see the fish really well.
...what, I\'m not talking about fishing?  That\'s stargazing?  It\'s all doing-stuff, so it\'s the same thing, right?
-HeartShadow

Yesterday is history, Tomorrow is a mystery,Today is a gift,thats why the call it the present - Master Oogway

Finding the Owl -my blog
The Gwyddonic Order

Fireof9

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: February 27, 2013, 08:49:34 pm »
Quote from: yewberry;98674
When my son was little, I gave him a micro cassette recorder because he'd make up long, winding tales of similar complexity and couldn't write yet.  I still have and treasure these stories, now converted to digital recordings.

I highly recommend giving them a portable digital recorder of some sort.  You'll want to hear these again when they're older.  :)

Brina

Thats actually a really good idea!

I am thinking of starting a blog called "The World according to Draven" just to post some of the stuff he comes up with. Some of it is so deep, some is very creative, some is just simply hilarious.
-HeartShadow

Finding the Owl -my blog
The Gwyddonic Order

yewberry

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: February 28, 2013, 03:20:09 pm »
Quote from: Fireof9;98808
I am thinking of starting a blog called "The World according to Draven" just to post some of the stuff he comes up with. Some of it is so deep, some is very creative, some is just simply hilarious.

Yes.  Do that.  I will definitely read it.  :)

Oh, and you should check out Axe Cop.  Somebody kind of took the idea and ran with it (in genius ways).

Brina

Sage

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://sageandstarshine.wordpress.com
« Reply #247 on: February 28, 2013, 03:28:22 pm »
Quote from: yewberry;98957

Oh, and you should check out Axe Cop.  Somebody kind of took the idea and ran with it (in genius ways).

Brina

Axe Cop is one of the greatest things on the internet, not gonna lie. The crossover with Doctor McNinja made my life.
Maker, though the darkness comes upon me,
I shall embrace the light. I shall weather the storm.
I shall endure.
What you have created, no one can tear asunder.

-Canticle of Trials 1:10

Sage and Starshine (my spiritual blog): last updated 2/25.
Friday Otherfaith Blogging: last updated 2/27
Join the Emboatening Crew over on Kiva! Emboatening the boatless since Opet 2013.

Fireof9

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: February 28, 2013, 09:12:30 pm »
Quote from: yewberry;98957

Brina

I will start collecting quotes, maybe get some videos of his dance routines LOL.

I had a quick look at Axecop, looks very cool, will have a better look when it is quieter in the house.
-HeartShadow

Finding the Owl -my blog
The Gwyddonic Order

Ivy

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: July 25, 2013, 02:39:01 pm »
Quote from: SassyWitchin;97511
Sorry It's just a freind of mine was called an idiot for using the term warlock and I just wanted to clear misconceptions. If I was offensive I'm sorry Please forgive me :o

Umm, did someone on here call your friend an idiot? You sounded awfully testy if that's not the case.  Furthermore, your comment about "Wiccish people" was rather rude as well. Just sayin.
Finding paganism is like finding your way home after a long, arduous journey. (me)
"I\'m not superstitious I\'m a witch. Witches aren\'t superstitious. We are what people are superstitious of." :(Terry Pratchett

TalismanSkulls

• Jr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: October 20, 2013, 11:43:54 pm »
your right it does not mean Oath Breaker. In fact that term was applied to anyone who had not "converted" to the religion of the local rulers breaking their "coven-ant" of Loyalty, which made such a "Traitor" and considered an act of sedition or "treason."  Now as to the etymology the OED has many errors and it takes some time for it to be corrected, and longer still for others to pick it up.

We use today the same two words that go into the title Warlock. Its Ward as in a Wardan, and Lock as in Binding and Binder or Bond to name a few. A Warlock in this sense is a Keeper or Protector of Bonds, those being traditional culture and religion as originally the two were not isolated into separate terms and it was called in Old English/Anglo Saxon as Sidu. From the Swedish it would be Varkloka meaning a Protector of Wisdom/Knowledge which is close to the meaning to the old Norse Vardlokkur which correctly compared means Warlock Song or Song of the Warlock and purely masculine in nature and was already a very ancient title.

Witch was also spelled Wich or Wicht with the "t" at the end and also had a "SH" sound in the source dialects that is the source of the feminine Wicce that also had the "ch" and "sh" for the "CCE" part of the name. Such were also called Wiccemæġden  or Witch Maiden or Wish Maiden which is still part of the same old folklore. Also part of the Fornsidu (Old customs/traditions/culture) before the arrival of the Nyrsidu New Custom/Tradition/Culture) of first the Romans and later the Roman Catholic religion.

It was later that the original gender neutral Wyssard of literally Wise Art came to be applied as Wizard and did not occur until the 15th century and connected as the Old English comparative of Greek/Latin source Philosopher.  

there were two other terms of gender specific aspects of Sidu; Sid for male customs, and Seid female customs, and these were specific to "Crafts" as in Professional Trades by comparison. Warlocks did Sid or Sidr, Witches did Seidr while the rest of the otherwise egalitarian society/culture had other crafts or trades or jobs that either men or women could do such as leading the people or being warriors, etc. Remember the Romans were shocked to see men and women warriors willing to fight together to oppose them? That is egalitarian. Later i the 16th and 17th century Sied was more common, as a result of the persecutions and propaganda. Thus Witch and Seidr was used in error synonymously and hence  Seidrcraeft, became Witchcraft and it stuck as feminized catch all term.. It was this time also Warlock/Wizard were used synonymously.

It was also this time that in the 17th century a New Word came into usage as in the form of Witch Doctor in reference to a Witch Hunter as they would Diagnose/Doctor the cause of an illness as caused by a Witch so the idea was to kill the witch to break the evil spell causing sickness and was applied in a manner to describe a hoaxer/fraud because of the disbelief in the continued existence of Warlocks or Witches as "Quackery." Towards the end of the 17th century it came to be applied to (Sadly but true) first African Traditional Healers as Witch Doctors working Hoodoo and manipulating beliefs so as to paint themselves as powerful healers of bad magic in a period of early medical European medicine of the so called intellectuals.

By that time it was considered a heresy even in the Church to believe in Warlocks or Witches much less their alleged power to thwart "their god's will or alter his laws in nature among a host of other now long abandoned bad science often found used in modern cult or Occult movements.

When cutting out all this later nonsense Witch Doctors for one were not EVER viewed in a good light, and was the only Actual Gender neutral term but itself NEVER as some have claimed in their ignorance means the Alternative to the Witch. Where they get this idea was the misrepresentation of the Witanengamot. It literally meant a Council of elected advisers for kings meaning literally Wise men assembly and only in modern times Witan and Wizard got linked also when they were only magistrates/judges for a King as advisers in matters both secular and ecclesiastic/religious.    

Because of the bad research of wannabees specifically the Gerald Gardner group as only a Small hand full of people who were going off limited and mostly made up nonsense of their own pure imagination and erroneous misnomers with no real interest in "Reconstructing" anything but rather inventing a new religion which was influenced by the Swingers Movement of England as a so called Fertility Cult and Gardner's own interest in the Occult did they also take the term for Villager "Wickan" and mix it to Witan  by dropping the K and T that they had rendered out Wican, and later it was expanded to an extra C in the 1970s and  made up the concept of a literal Village/Wise One" as a later gender neutral concept.

This still is only the tip of the iceberg because for one the Author of God of the Witches and The Witch Cult of Europe (Murry) not only proven to be a great big pack of nonsense was also the same author that put her own "writing" for the OED as did Doreen Valiente  after her own work in the 70's in ABC's of Witchcraft of the so called Waerloga concept and claimed it was Scottish but NEVER elaborated more than say it was Oath Breaker. Her reasons were more personal and was her resentment of Gardner who himself refereed to himself as a Warlock.

If you do your research you also find that Oath Breaker in Old English is  āþ-brecan

"lagu (“law”) and in old Norse was Loga. Waer was for Aware and thus is not a historically attested combination as Waerlagu. Its entirely false etymology pure and simple. its not even until the late 70's and 80's that such connections as Liar, Traitor, etc are attached. But the contemporary languages when Warlock was still in common usage NEVER lined UP.

Melamphoros

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: October 21, 2013, 01:05:06 am »
Quote from: TalismanSkulls;126246

A Reminder:
TalismanSkulls,
Just a quick note:  Please remember to quote, even if you're just  replying to the first message in the thread.  It makes the discussion  easier to follow, and it's required by  our  rules. (If you're using tapatalk on a phone, please hold your finger down on the message you wish to reply to until the quote function pops up.)

This isn't a formal warning, just a reminder.  No  reply is necessary, but if you have questions or need clarification,  please feel free to contact a member of staff privately.

Thanks!
Melamphoros, TC Board Staff

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog

Tags: