collapse
2020 Donation Drive

It's time for our annual Server Donation Drive! We need to raise at least $710 to keep The Cauldron's server online for another year. Please help! Either hit that Paypal button to the right and make a one-time donation in any amount or set up a monthly Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor subscription. You can find more info in this message!

Donations as of 21 October 2020: $558 donated. Only $152 more needed! Thank you, donors!

Note: This total is updated manually, usually once a day

* Recent Posts

Re: Developing and Nurturing a Positive Mindset by Sefiru
[October 19, 2020, 07:12:35 pm]

Re: Dreaming of Moonlight on Water by entwife
[October 19, 2020, 12:06:02 pm]

Re: Dreaming of Moonlight on Water by PerditaPickle
[October 19, 2020, 07:15:27 am]

Re: Dreaming of Moonlight on Water by ehbowen
[October 18, 2020, 09:50:51 pm]

Dreaming of Moonlight on Water by entwife
[October 18, 2020, 03:14:20 pm]

Author Topic: Rose Wood (Not "Rosewood") Magical Properties?  (Read 6246 times)

Fagan_the_Pagan

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
Rose Wood (Not "Rosewood") Magical Properties?
« on: December 07, 2012, 09:35:13 pm »
I am setting out to make a wand from wood cut from a rose bush.  However, I cannot find any existing lore on this.  I can use lore relating to rose petals, or to essential oils, but there is nothing written anywhere that I can find about Rose as a material.

I can find Rosewood, but Rosewood is a very different set of plants than roses are.  Is it just one of those things where because "Rosewood" is so connected in our heads to the idea of "Roses" that they have the same properties from a magical standpoint?  I have not worked with Rose enough to get any kind of UPG for it.
(/|\\)  Fire in the Head: My Blog on Matters Spiritual, Political, or otherwise important to me.
Bardistry Wandworks: My Etsy shop for wands, athames, and other pagan crafts.

Fier

• Sr. Master Member
  • Daughter of the Cosmos
    • View Profile
  • Religion: FlameKeeping
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
Re: Rose Wood (Not "Rosewood") Magical Properties?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2012, 10:08:32 pm »
Quote from: Fagan_the_Pagan;83834
I can use lore relating to rose petals, or to essential oils, but there is nothing written anywhere that I can find about Rose as a material.

This is total UPG, but I associate rose with protection. I mean, have you ever tried walking through a thicket of rose bushes?

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2012, 07:43:55 am »
Quote from: FierFlye;83840
This is total UPG, but I associate rose with protection. I mean, have you ever tried walking through a thicket of rose bushes?

Same here -- because of the thorns.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

Aisling

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic Pagan Witch
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2012, 08:28:49 am »
Quote from: FierFlye;83840

Thirded.  Incredibly protective plant in terms of both physical presence and the energy of it.

My experience with rose wood is that it works well to harden soft emotional states.  For example, if you're feeling sentimental about a person or situation that is no longer beneficial to you. UPG, of course, for what it's worth.
"All your questions can be answered, if that is what you want.
But once you learn your answers, you can never unlearn them."
~Neil Gaiman,
American Gods

Fier

• Sr. Master Member
  • Daughter of the Cosmos
    • View Profile
  • Religion: FlameKeeping
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2012, 12:40:38 pm »
Quote from: Aisling;83876

My experience with rose wood is that it works well to harden soft emotional states.  For example, if you're feeling sentimental about a person or situation that is no longer beneficial to you. UPG, of course, for what it's worth.

One might say that the plant teaches lessons of practicality, or "get your head out of the clouds and into the real world".  The gorgeous, showy flowers draw us in and make us giddy, kind of like first love. But when we meet the rest of the plant we see the thorns. Not every love is perfect, and nothing in life is all rose petals and unicorns and rainbows.

Also, if one gets in too deep with rose, one might find themselves stuck. I have literally had to cut myself out of rose thickets before, after I became snagged up by all the thorns. The same can be said for blackberry and raspberry. All these plants have something that might draw us in, but then try and keep us forever.

Fagan_the_Pagan

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2012, 09:33:25 pm »
Quote from: FierFlye;83895
One might say that the plant teaches lessons of practicality, or "get your head out of the clouds and into the real world".  The gorgeous, showy flowers draw us in and make us giddy, kind of like first love. But when we meet the rest of the plant we see the thorns. Not every love is perfect, and nothing in life is all rose petals and unicorns and rainbows.

Also, if one gets in too deep with rose, one might find themselves stuck. I have literally had to cut myself out of rose thickets before, after I became snagged up by all the thorns. The same can be said for blackberry and raspberry. All these plants have something that might draw us in, but then try and keep us forever.

Oh yes, thank you everyone!  I am seeing some cool stuff in this.  Makes me think of the wisdom that we must take the bad with the good, but also conversely, that there is beauty to be found even in the thorniest spots.  

Rose is one of our most well known symbols of beauty, and femininity, but it also knows how to protect itself, so it's not the "weak" stereotype of what "feminine" means.
(/|\\)  Fire in the Head: My Blog on Matters Spiritual, Political, or otherwise important to me.

veggiewolf

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2012, 10:03:11 am »
Quote from: Fagan_the_Pagan;83934

Rose is one of our most well known symbols of beauty, and femininity, but it also knows how to protect itself, so it's not the "weak" stereotype of what "feminine" means.

Definitely not.  My personal shield is one of rose thorns.
Fluid Morality - my spiritual blog
Eating Monsters - my mental health blog

"Religion does not define a deity- it defines the human approach and interpretation of deity." - Juni
"I hate magical thinking in my magic." - Darkhawk
"...a baseball club; a soccer unkindness; a hockey murder; a football team..." - Cecil, Welcome to Night Vale

Frostfire

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2012, 11:09:28 am »
Quote from: Fagan_the_Pagan;83834
I am setting out to make a wand from wood cut from a rose bush.  However, I cannot find any existing lore on this.  I can use lore relating to rose petals, or to essential oils, but there is nothing written anywhere that I can find about Rose as a material.

I can find Rosewood, but Rosewood is a very different set of plants than roses are.  Is it just one of those things where because "Rosewood" is so connected in our heads to the idea of "Roses" that they have the same properties from a magical standpoint?  I have not worked with Rose enough to get any kind of UPG for it.

Hmm this is just me, I tend to think of and use rose wood for protection, divination, and healing. I just say that from the energy I get from the wood when I hold it and in general most things with thorns I consider viable for protection.

Tana

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2012, 11:20:45 am »
Quote from: Fagan_the_Pagan;83934
Oh yes, thank you everyone!  I am seeing some cool stuff in this.  Makes me think of the wisdom that we must take the bad with the good, but also conversely, that there is beauty to be found even in the thorniest spots.  

It is also a faery plant.
A red and a white rose symbolize the river of blood and tears in the fairy seership traditions.
\'You had to repay, good or bad. There was more than one type of obligation.
That’s what people never really understood.….Things had to balance.
You couldn’t set out to be a good witch or a bad witch. It never worked out for long.
All you could try to be was a witch, as hard as you could.\'
Terry Pratchett \'Lords and Ladies\'

Confuzzled and proud. :p

Aspiria

• Master Member
    • View Profile
Rose Wood (Not "Rosewood") Magical Properties?
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2012, 10:46:50 pm »
Quote from: Tana;84098
It is also a faery plant.
A red and a white rose symbolize the river of blood and tears in the fairy seership traditions.

Sorry everyone. I'm unfamiliar with the terms y'all use. Like UPG for instance. I've also seen one that is whis?

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2012, 10:50:55 pm »
Quote from: Aspiria;84200
Sorry everyone. I'm unfamiliar with the terms y'all use. Like UPG for instance. I've also seen one that is whis?

Like this? :whis:

If so, that's one of our emoticons (whistling and gazing upward, conveying an air of fake innocence).  It sounds like whatever device you're using to log into TC doesn't render emoticons as smiley-pictures (hmm, or are you visually-impaired and using a screen reader?), but instead just gives the text characters of its code.

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

Fagan_the_Pagan

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2012, 11:54:15 pm »
Quote from: Aspiria;84200

UPG stands for "Unverified Personal Gnosis." It refers to information about our religions, our gods, magic, etc, that do not come from established lore, or mythology.  It's something you just KNOW, either intuitively, or because your god(s) told you so.  Being personal gnosis, it is true for you and your practices, but need not carry over into anyone else's.  Others may be able to explain it better.

Tags: