Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Question(s) Regarding Donations/Payments  (Read 2588 times)

MysticusLux

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
Question(s) Regarding Donations/Payments
« on: July 23, 2011, 01:01:19 am »
I have currently been asked advice by someone who began to know me through my current job at the local Goodwill (the lady is a customer there). We have become friends and she has asked my advice and I have given such as well as some remedies that may assist her in accomplishing her goals.

As for me, I'm one of those who will invite the client to do the work for themselves since it will be more personal for them, or so I think.

Anyways, so she approached me on the job today which was fine except that she wanted to pay me for my advice and such. I felt so awkward in regards to the fact that someone wanted to pay me for my advice. Also, the company rules state that we are not allowed to take gratuities . . . So that was a big no. She continued to insist and truly wanted to do so. Reluctantly, I took the money but made sure I informed my manager of the situation who gave me some suggestions to prevent it from happening again.

However, has this happened to you? Do you charge? How do you handle situations if you are being offered donations/payments and do not feel comfortable but the client insists?

I grew up with a mother who was big on blessings and she always told me that if someone wanted to bless me that I should allow them because if I didn't, then I will rob them of their blessings which would come from blessing me. So I realized that would apply to this situation.
MysticusLux

Sancta Maria, Sancte Michael, Sancte Thaddæe, Sancta Filumena, ora pro nobis.

FizzyCat

• View Profile
Re: Question(s) Regarding Donations/Payments
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2011, 06:42:35 am »
Quote from: MysticusLux;7294

However, has this happened to you? Do you charge? How do you handle situations if you are being offered donations/payments and do not feel comfortable but the client insists?

This has not happened to me, but I have a thought. Perhaps you could suggest that instead of giving money to you, that they offer what they would have paid to you to a charity of your or their choice?

Jenett

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Seeking: First steps on a path
  • Religion: Initiatory religious witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2011, 12:52:38 pm »
Quote from: MysticusLux;7294

There's a couple of things I'd think about here.

First, what, if any, are the ethical guidelines in your path about charging/accepting the equivalent from people?

(My trad's guideline is that we don't charge for religious training or related topics - just like you don't charge your friends for spending time with them. Magical work, or something like a Tarot reading is a little more flexible, but my personal preference is not to charge for that either. In either case, if someone wanted to give me a present, take me out for a meal/have me over for dinner, that'd be fine, but I won't name a number. I would expect people to cover the relevant expenses, and I have a range of free to really cheap options that would work just fine.)

Anyway, here, I'd probably suggest:

1) Keeping conversations of that kind of depth away from work. If someone asks for specific help, arrange to meet them at a nearby coffee shop, or a local park or mall food court or whatever. It helps keep things honest with your job.

2) Which also solves your problem about work not allowing you to accept gratuities (and also avoids confusing other people shopping at the store you work at, which is good.)

3) Have an idea of what you're comfortable accepting before you have the initial conversation. Maybe that's a donation to a favorite charity. Maybe it's them paying for the materials, and taking you out to lunch (or coffee, or whatever) while you explain how to use it. For something complex, maybe you explicitly work out an agreement: "What I'd like to do is a bit more complicated and will take me some time: here's why I think it'd be the best choice. Given the amount of time, I'd like it to be some sort of exchange, but I'm open to suggestions."

4) If setting a money figure is tricky, I like what a friend of mine does (when teaching jewellry making), which is that short classes, she asks people to pay her 3 times the amount of a nice lunch out, whatever their budget is. (So, if that's eating at McDonald's, because their budget is tight, then they might give her $15. If it's a sushi place, it might be $60 or $75.) Longer work is the equivalent of 3x a celebratory dinner.

I like that model because it scales well for different budgets, and it's a fair exchange for the amount of time and effort she's putting in. And it's a high enough value that people don't ask lightly about teaching, but only do it if they're serious about the experience.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2011, 12:53:21 pm by Jenett »
Seek Knowledge, Find Wisdom: Research help on esoteric and eclectic topics (consulting and other services)

Seeking: first steps on a Pagan path (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism)

CozyWitch

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2011, 01:14:52 pm »
Quote from: Jenett;7403
There's a couple of things I'd think about here.

Those points are very valid, Jenett.

Personally, I just simply state that if they choose to gift me, do it in a way that it does not exceed their means. As far as doing workings that require time and supplies . . . I usually let them know what it is I do and have them buy the supplies or give me the money to buy the supplies and then I do the work. If they are content with the workings then they can either leave it at that or let them give me a gift of their choice.

All I really want is for my clients to be happy and as long as they give me at least a simple thank you, I'm all good.

Tags: